PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sea Fishing In Jamaica???

mbariesheff
02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Hey guys I know this is the hunting forum, just thought I would post as well and ask if any of you guys have gone deep sea fishing while in jaimaca.

I am going to Ocho Rios for a week and then Negril for a week and was wondering if it is worth going, or if there are any specific charters to chose or stay away from.

Thanks and hope to hear back soon.

dime
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I do not think there are many charters out of Negril, I was there a few years ago and was looking for a day on the water without much luck. Having said that I eventually met up with a couple of local fisherman, one guy was a spearfisher and I went out in the water with him for a morning, he would snorkel down and stay underwater for a crazy length of time (amazing considering how much ganga he seemed to smoke) he speared lots of fish. The other guy had a dug out canoe and took me out beyond the reef to net fish. A great day and the guy did not want any money, he was glad to have me help haul the nets in. I still gave him a few bucks for his trouble.
Good luck and enjoy your stay. Expect to be hassled to buy stuff all day every day, my wife could not stand it but it did not bother me. Food was fantastic, get out of the all inclusives for some real jamaican eats. Ask the well off locals where they like to eat you can not go wrong.

mbariesheff
02-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the response, good insight on what to expect and what to look for and do, I think that would be pretty fun to go and and fish the way they do (nets and spearfishing)

thanks again

Old Crow
02-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Good advice re: Ocho Rios. Also, don't go down any alleys for ''deals'' on Gold necklaces, etc. Don't smoke Ganja with people off the street (It's a classic set-up), and don't miss the waterfalls at Ocho Rios. Pretty cool hike.
You'll have a ''posse'' of ''friends'' everywhere you go. It gets really f***ing annoying. Get out on a boat as soon as you can. If you're staying at a resort, ask who the best local fishermen are, and if someone there can hook you up. Someone always knows someone.
The town was just a hassle when I was there. Heard good things about Negril though, good luck!