PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a bow...

Skull Hunter
02-17-2011, 02:36 PM
So I have virtually no experience with compound bows. I did a bit of recurve shooting when I was young but really not much at all.

I live in an isolated community and getting out to visit a shop and try things out isn't always practical. As a result I'm looking at ordering something on Cabelas and giving it a try to start with. I'm thinking something in the 50-60lb range, and my drawn length is about 29 inches (wingspan/2.5)

My question to all of you experts is to five me some feedback on the following bows from cabelas. Looking for insight on user friendliness, adjust-ability, reliability and personal experiences.

Diamond Black Ice FLX kit
http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1181&section2=1206&ID=21972

Diamond Iceman FLX Octane Kit
http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1181&section2=1206&ID=21971

Diamond Rock II kit
http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1181&section2=1206&ID=21971

Thank for the input!
-Andre

Bow Walker
02-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Of the two bows mentioned I'd go with the Black Ice. It is closest to my own Diamond Liberty, which I am very familiar with.

The Timberline kit will get you through your first year or two of bowhunting with room to spare. What you save over the Iceman bow can be spent on upgrading the sight, and the rest - which you will want to do after becoming familiar with your setup, say in a year or two.

Until then, you can't go far wrong, given the pricing.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I have a black Ice and love it .... Black Ice floated my boat

I am not a big fan of the package deals as the assesories typically are pretty low end and you will wanna up grade later ....

I am big fan of buying the best you can afford ...even though usually I go a bit beyond that threshold ...just to be sure

The Black Ice balanced on my style the best so I bought one of them

The Hermit
02-18-2011, 12:05 AM
All of those bows are on back order at Cabelas. Check here for a great bow at very good prices for HBC'ers... http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/Compound_Bows.html

Mountain Man
02-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Well, I tried to bite my lip.

If your willing to order a bow over the phone or internet from a box store that does not typically know to much about the sport I ask you this.

Why would you not phone a reputable dealer that has a reputation for being experts in the sport with knowledge and experience. Gain a relationship with someone that can help you out when issues and questions arise. People seem to always think they can save a bunch of money from box stores. Thats not always the truth. Now sure, pro shops sometimes may be a little more money. But what is it worth to you to be able to have a source to go to or speak with over phone or computer when you need help in the future ?

There is nothing wrong with any of the bows you have mentioned. No one makes a bad bow in this modern day. I see it time and time again, to many people spend to much time researching brands. Remember, you will never out shoot your bow !!! Unless your Reo Wilde. The most important thing is proper fitment. Wingspan divided by 2.5 is a start but there are many factors in proper draw length. To many to list in this reply. Beginners almost always buy bows that are a half inch to inch to long. Your are always better to be on the short side than long side. Even if your women tells you different. I have 60 compound bows in stock, and several on this site that are on blow out. Im sure if Cabelas can look after you we can to. Visit our web site and call me anytime. We have shipped several bows around BC just this month !

Howy
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I vote for the iceman. but i see it is not on diamonds website anymore. DISCONTINUED?????? I also second Mountian mans comment. Don't get hung up on brands. Mathews, hoyt bowtech(diamond) and way off in the distance PSE.

The Hermit
02-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I agree with Mountain Man too! If you can get into a pro-shop it is really worth your while especially when you are just starting out! I also advise people not to break the bank on your first bow. As MM suggested in some respects its hard to buy a bad bow so why not get a bow that you can use and learn with and then move u to a really fancy one if/when you decide that you need/want/lust after something a little more sexy? You will almost always get a big chunk of your money back on a well treated used beginner bow... they are in some demand!

Kudu
02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Thank for the input!
-Andre

As you say you are living in an Isolated area, and you don't have a lot of experience with compound bows.

Firstly buy yourself a decent book - read it understand it, then think about buying a bow.

There are a number of very well written books on this subject - they are inexpensive, and will give you broader understanding about your prospective purchase.

Lon E lauber - Joe Bell - M. R. James

Are all great authors that have written authoritative books on the subject.

Bow Walker
02-18-2011, 06:21 PM
In 2006 I bought my Diamond Liberty "over the net" and that was after a month (or so) of researching - both online and in stores.

I was (and still am) very happy with my purchase. It wasn't my first bow, though - it was my third one. I still have it, it is my hunting bow.

Eagle1
02-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I'd get a hold of Hardcore Archey, they know a lot about bows.
Chuck, who used to work at Boorman's Archery moved to Kelowna and now works at Hardcore Archery knows his stuff and then some.

Skull Hunter
02-20-2011, 01:36 AM
I appreciate all the advice so far. In no way am I rushing into a decision on this. I've visited a couple of shops while I've been out of town, but none of them have been all that knowledgeable about archery in their own admission. I've done lots of research and am really intrigued by the bows that APA seems to be putting out. Seems like they've put a lot of though into their product. I will likely not buy something until I get to a reputable shop, however if I catch a killer deal online I might just pull the trigger.

Bow Walker
02-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Hardcore Archery is an APA dealer. Phone them ansd ask to speak to Mountain Man. Pick his brain.

Jonas111
02-24-2011, 08:34 AM
I bought my first bow from Hardcore Archery in Kelowna and I can tell you after a year and half of archery I have improved as a shooter with there guidance from the very beginning. If I was to buy a bow online and not have there input I probably would have given archery a try but given up on it. There is so much to learn and getting set up the very first time is the most important. Both Ken and Kory helped me understand archery enough to enjoy the day I walked out the store. You CANT get that online. IMO.

Phone up Hardcore to chat with them. Talk to Ken or Kory and they will get you started properly and you will enjoy archery right out of the gates. Then you can get obsessed like the rest of us and fall in love with this sport like I did.

I LOVE ARCHERY.

triggr31
03-30-2011, 02:14 AM
I can vouch for mountain man and jonas111 Hardcore archery will take care of all your needs in bow and bow equipment. Very knowledgeable staff and a great selection of bows . They have helped me for years now . always answers to your questions . It is just a great all around shop. If your serious about archery then start off on the right foot and get a bow that suits you.

bowhunterbruce
03-30-2011, 06:12 AM
I can vouch for mountain man and jonas111 Hardcore archery will take care of all your needs in bow and bow equipment. Very knowledgeable staff and a great selection of bows . They have helped me for years now . always answers to your questions . It is just a great all around shop. If your serious about archery then start off on the right foot and get a bow that suits you.
count me in for giving ken,kory or chuck a call at hardcore,you would be crazy to go anywhere else.not only would you get a great deal but its all the follow up service and information and guidence that come with a bow from them.you can not put any dollar amount to that,period!!!
with them not only being various staff shooters for some of the top end companies and they are also trained coaches ranging from youth to adults they know thier _hit lol
bhb

mrak
05-09-2011, 10:24 PM
find a used mathews one cam you will not go wrong in the old days it was bear then chekmate made a good one i have a feathermax as long draw 31 full length arrow do not get caught up in speed .they stoped making this bow in 2004 as it is a conquest now smoth shooter allmost bought a hyot glad i did not.