PDA

View Full Version : Vortex?? Many Using Them??

meat eater
02-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I was just curiuos about these vortex scopes and wondering if anyone has heard much of the pro's an con's of them.

Everett
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I have Viper better scope than my vx2

BiG Boar
02-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Redfield is a similar pricerange and scope that is American made. I think you get what you pay for in a scope though.

Howy
02-16-2011, 10:10 PM
there warranty is second to none. My wife has a pair of their lower end binos and they seem very good for the $250 i paid for them. Similar to wind river binos.

02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
When I was scope hunting, they were 2nd on my list of options to buy. They look great and the glass looks good too. I have heard a lot of great things about them.

The Hermit
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
I like mine for what I paid... good value for money, great warranty. Have it on a Tika 3T SS in .308, works good!

weatherby_man
02-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Yep. Great scopes. Great price. Great Warranty. I have viper scopes and binos, excellent value.

Everett
02-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Redfield is a similar pricerange and scope that is American made. I think you get what you pay for in a scope though.

I would be very suprised if the redfield product came even close to the Vortex Viper in quality as they are Leupolds discount brand. And the Viper is higher quality in my my opinion than Leupold flagship line. Disclaimer I do not own any refield product so I am open to the option of a cheaply priced scope if they are on the same level as the Viper.
Oh a quick search on the internet says the Redfield scopes are assembled in the US from off shore parts.

BillyBull
02-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I have Viper and Diamond and for the price and the usage I have had for moose and deer these are great products for the price range. My fear is that once they have built the reputation... they'll start to climb in price and be like leupold good quality +++ extra dollars just for the marketing logo.

bearhunter338-06
02-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Even though they are not "AMERICAN MADE" I am very happy with the scope and bino's. I plan on buying a spotting scope and rifle scope.

Everett
02-17-2011, 12:12 AM
How do you rate them against other products as I am always looking for a deal on quality.

aironly
02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
The vortex crossfire didn't do so well with my 7remmag
But loves the 10/22
3.5x10x50

aironly
02-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Also when I called votex they told me if I had any problems at all I would get full warranty even if I keep it on the 7mm which they didn't really recommend

The Hermit
02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Even though they are not "AMERICAN MADE" I am very happy with the scope and bino's. I plan on buying a spotting scope and rifle scope.

Well here I gotta disagree... you can get better quality spotters for not much more than the Vortex... check out the Kowa line.

huntcoop
02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
I love my Vortex Vulture binos. Great glass, clarity is phenomenal, great quality, feel and warranty.

bc cooker
02-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a Viper on my 06. Haven't had any problems with it. Took a good spill on it a few years ago...back to the range to check it, dials did what they were supposed to and nothing wrong with the scope.

Dutch Ppoacher
02-17-2011, 12:55 PM
are a great prduct! binos and scopes are nice and clear. their rep is great.

Cbuck
02-17-2011, 03:31 PM
I have the 'viper' model for a scope on my 30-06 and its great quality for what I paid...no questions life time warrantee is great too.

One thing some don’t care for is the cross hairs are a tad thick....never has bothered me though. Over all a great scope I don't think I'll ever want to change.

pappy
02-17-2011, 05:47 PM
I have the 3-9X40 viper and it couldn't handle the recoil from my 7RM or my 30-06. I ended up putting it on my son's 17HMR, It shoots great on that gun and picks up lots of light as well. I won't be buying any more vortex for any medium or bigger caliber guns any time soon. I liked how much light the scope picked up so I bought the nomad spotter and the viper binos too. The binos are a good buy they have impressed myself and lots of others who use leupold and kahles. The spotter is o.k. for now, it works good when theres lots of light. I'm planning to sell the nomad and upgrade when I have more cash.

Everett
02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I have the 3-9X40 viper and it couldn't handle the recoil from my 7RM or my 30-06. I ended up putting it on my son's 17HMR, It shoots great on that gun and picks up lots of light as well. I won't be buying any more vortex for any medium or bigger caliber guns any time soon. I liked how much light the scope picked up so I bought the nomad spotter and the viper binos too. The binos are a good buy they have impressed myself and lots of others who use leupold and kahles. The spotter is o.k. for now, it works good when theres lots of light. I'm planning to sell the nomad and upgrade when I have more cash.

What do you mean it coudn't handle the recoil did it break? I have a viper on a 6.5lb 300wsm its taken 500 rounds of recoil with no problem.

DeerWhisperer
02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
I just bought a pair of vortex viper binos in 8x42 amazing, for the price you cant beat them

killman
02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I bought a pair of 10x50 razors, I am still undecided on how good they are or aren't. Need something to compare them too in fading light. They are much better than the old Bushnell h2o's.

Pioneerman
02-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I just ordered a new scope for my new Ruger 375 and did look at this line. I couldn't find anything bad about them, but I figured I just spent a grand on a new rifle and I don't want to cheap out on a scope that I plan on keeping for a very long time. These scopes might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I wanted the piece of mind when I spend all that time and money to get on my hunting trip and did not want the possible scope problem to mean the miss of maybe once in a lifetime animal. These again might be incredible, but I feel better in my mind that this will not be an issue

weatherby_man
02-17-2011, 09:41 PM
What do you mean it coudn't handle the recoil did it break? I have a viper on a 6.5lb 300wsm its taken 500 rounds of recoil with no problem.

X2 - I have a viper on a 300wby and have had no issues whatsoever. I would take advantage of the warranty on that one.

Bow Walker
02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Well, I've not posted a reply yet, mainy because I wanted to see how many others were like me in that they love their Vortex scopes and binos.

I've had a set of 8.5x50 Vultre binos for a few years now. The best binos I've ever owned for the money. I bought a 3-9x40 Diamondback scope two years ago and it has performed just as well as the binos.

Vortex optics will be (and are) the only ones that are in my hands and on top of my guns.

Brett
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I own a Vortex spotter and have researched scopes online, including reviews on a few other forums and online magazines and my next scope purchase will be a Viper PST.

Elkaddict
02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
X2 - I have a viper on a 300wby and have had no issues whatsoever. I would take advantage of the warranty on that one.

X3. I have a 3-9x40 mounted on a 30-06 and 2-7x32 mounted on a 375 Ruger (both Vipers). I have had zero problems, optical quality and tracking are at least the equal of my Leupolds.

I have looked through one of their lower end spotters and was less than impressed.

meat eater
02-19-2011, 10:59 PM
thanks for the input i think i will try one out!!!

pappy
02-19-2011, 11:26 PM
The viper wouldn't hold zero on the 7RM so I tried it on the 30-06. It still wouldn't hold zero. So I tried it on the 17HMR and it shoots great. I thought about sending it in for warranty but it goes good with the little CZ. I'm not too worried about a replacement scope for my 7mm because I just mounted the previous scope back on and have no problems with any of the gun/scope combos I have currently set up now. Maybe I will send it in later on, if the warranty is good then it shouldn't matter when I send it in. It does shoot good on the little gun.

Everett
02-20-2011, 12:04 AM
The viper wouldn't hold zero on the 7RM so I tried it on the 30-06. It still wouldn't hold zero. So I tried it on the 17HMR and it shoots great. I thought about sending it in for warranty but it goes good with the little CZ. I'm not too worried about a replacement scope for my 7mm because I just mounted the previous scope back on and have no problems with any of the gun/scope combos I have currently set up now. Maybe I will send it in later on, if the warranty is good then it shouldn't matter when I send it in. It does shoot good on the little gun.

You have a problem Houston any chance you want to be the HBC Vortex warrenty guinie pig:-D Realy want to know how they respond to claims before I purchase anymore scopes from them.

02-20-2011, 07:28 AM
I thought I had lost my Vortex Viper 10x42 last fall and thought they were gone forever,but my daughter found them outside in a box under some other stuff.They had been out all winter and there was moisture in the bottom of the plastic tub.I brought them inside expecting the worst,once the outer lens unfogged I looked thru them and they were good as new.I know its not like dropping the in a lake but still good enough for me.

sawmill
02-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Vortex engine in my Chevy is AWSOME.guess thats not the topic here.
But I still love it.5.3 with 300 thousand K and still runs like a dream.Regular oil changes and don`t be a dickhead helps a lot.

KIDS,LOOK AFTER YOUR SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheaper that way.
Free advice from an old guy.

mikeboehm
02-20-2011, 04:18 PM
i just purchased a pair of vortex viper 10x42 HD down in the states for $359.99 + $19.99 shipping.

i have an older 7mm-08 remington 700. i plan to give this to my daughter when she is old enough (shes 2 now). i have no scope on it rite now and im trying to decide what to put on it. i dont want to spend alot cause it will be in the safe for 8 years or so. Im looking at a bushnell elite 3200 or a vortex viper 3-9x40.

what scope do u think is better. does anyone have other suggestions

mikeboehm
02-20-2011, 04:20 PM
the vortex viper 10x42 at wholesale sports is $629.99 plus tax. they dont sell the HD yet

BlackwaterMerc
02-20-2011, 04:40 PM
I have a 3-9x40 on my tikka and its a great scope. No complaints at all. Works perfect.

pappy
02-20-2011, 08:00 PM
"Im looking at a bushnell elite 3200 or a vortex viper 3-9x40.

what scope do u think is better. does anyone have other suggestions"

I have a 3x9x40 bushnell 3200 on my 338WM and it shoots good, I have read and heard that bushnell has a terrible warranty. I haven't had any problems with mine yet. Maybe I'll send the Vortex in in the summer time when I use the gun less. As for now I'm saving for a Leupold or a Ziess for my next scope.