PDA

View Full Version : Current best Synthetic bag

Buck
02-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Looking for the best synthetic bag weight to warmth ratio for sheep hunting.I don't want a down bag for this will get one for full on winter conditions.

Devilbear
02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
After many years of using most of what's out there and I prefer synthetic bags for solo hunting for several reasons, I bought an Integral Designs North Twin and Andromeda Overbag combo a few years ago and these work better than anything else I have used, except the best down bags in severe cold.

The AObag works as my "emerg." sack inside one of my bivies for being lost or injured, when combined with my clothing and the NT is my camp bag and, in late season, or when out for five day+ treks, I carry it alone for all uses. You can get these in various sizes and in black or olive on the ID website and while not "cheap", they seem to last well and are REALLY comfortable due to the size selection ID offers.

If, you want only one, they have the lighter Renaissance model, rated to 20*F and in various sizes, this, IMHO, is the best sheep hunting bag available today and I may yet buy one for alpine hunts in warmer weather as it would save me 12 oz. over my NT.

Call John Davies at Mountain Magic in Surry, 604-535-5182, he has treated me and other hunters very well and is ID's biggest Canadian dealer, he can get you one in a couple of weeks. I cannot recommend these bags too highly and ID also makes among the finest down bags I have ever owned/used.

Another option is an "Elephant's Foot" 3/4 bag from ID or Wildthings of New Hampshire, USA, where I got my current one. These combine with your insulated jacket and a bivy to form a light sleeping system, mostly suited to "big wall" climbers, but, a rig that can work for dedicated, ounce-counting sheepaholics.

Try an ID, bet you will love it!

Craddosk
02-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Look at fill weights in comparaison to warmth. More fill and loft generally means a warmer bag.

As for synthetics, I quite like Mountain Hardwear. They have a -35C bag that's 5lbs, and a -18 that's 3lbs. Synthetic, and both are extremely warm.

Weatherby Fan
02-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Looking for the best synthetic bag weight to warmth ratio for sheep hunting.I don't want a down bag for this will get one for full on winter conditions.

Can you be more specific,mummy bag or rectangle and what are your max weight considerations, Temp rating 0-deg F,-20deg F or -30deg F

I use Cabelas Summit(hollofil) mummy bag -20F 7lb carry weight and Cabelas 3D (outfitter loft) rectangle bag -30F 7lb2oz carry weight,a little heavy but for the price Ive never been cold :-D

Buck
02-16-2011, 01:27 PM
After many years of using most of what's out there and I prefer synthetic bags for solo hunting for several reasons, I bought an Integral Designs North Twin and Andromeda Overbag combo a few years ago and these work better than anything else I have used, except the best down bags in severe cold.

The AObag works as my "emerg." sack inside one of my bivies for being lost or injured, when combined with my clothing and the NT is my camp bag and, in late season, or when out for five day+ treks, I carry it alone for all uses. You can get these in various sizes and in black or olive on the ID website and while not "cheap", they seem to last well and are REALLY comfortable due to the size selection ID offers.

If, you want only one, they have the lighter Renaissance model, rated to 20*F and in various sizes, this, IMHO, is the best sheep hunting bag available today and I may yet buy one for alpine hunts in warmer weather as it would save me 12 oz. over my NT.

Call John Davies at Mountain Magic in Surry, 604-535-5182, he has treated me and other hunters very well and is ID's biggest Canadian dealer, he can get you one in a couple of weeks. I cannot recommend these bags too highly and ID also makes among the finest down bags I have ever owned/used.

Another option is an "Elephant's Foot" 3/4 bag from ID or Wildthings of New Hampshire, USA, where I got my current one. These combine with your insulated jacket and a bivy to form a light sleeping system, mostly suited to "big wall" climbers, but, a rig that can work for dedicated, ounce-counting sheepaholics.

Try an ID, bet you will love it!

The ID bags are at the top of my list i just have to get MM to get one in for me.I have been shopping there alot lately.

Can you be more specific,mummy bag or rectangle and what are your max weight considerations, Temp rating 0-deg F,-20deg F or -30deg F

I use Cabelas Summit(hollofil) mummy bag -20F 7lb carry weight and Cabelas 3D (outfitter loft) rectangle bag -30F 7lb2oz carry weight,a little heavy but for the price Ive never been cold

A mummy bag for backpacking and not more than 4lbs minus 20 max.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-18-2011, 03:56 PM
I just got the M.H. lamina zero synthetic - 17 for 200 $. havent done any testing of it, but for the money, i thought i would try it out .