PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on these bags

luckynuts
02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Looking for your comments/advice on these 3 products.

Montbell Super stretch rated for -18 weighs 3# $559

Marmot Lithium rated -18 weighs 2.75# $479

Taiga thousand and one sleeps with dryloft rated -18 weighs 3.5# $435

All have 800 goose fill

I have picked these 3 due to that i have been able to try them out and fit wasn't to bad. I would love to hear from guys that actually have used them wondering on durability of material, stitching and zipper pros/cons. Also if you have had any water repellent issues from tent condensation and so forth (Leary about down). I have read a pile of sleeping bag post but would like to get into more detail on these 3.

Thanks for your help

W.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2011, 10:37 AM
The Marmot Lithium does come with "Membran" waterproof fabric(I think it replaced the EQ)but you'll be digging deeper into your pocket.

$549
850 fill goose down
http://marmot.com/products/lithium_membrain

SSS

bigwhiteys
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
The one SSS suggested has a better outer shell, which is probably one of the most important items for a down sleeping bag, next to the fill weight.

The Taiga is a little heavy, but the price is right and there has been good feedback on them. The dryloft fabric should work well.

Carl

BlacktailStalker
02-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Just make sure you have a high quality dry bag for your sleeping bag to go over it's storage bag while packed up.
Doubles as a water hauler if you'll be camped in one spot for any amount of time.
It shouldnt get wet in your tent if its a good tent, i always turn my bag over unzipped during the day if I'm leaving for the day incase there is any condensation between the bag and pad (never is but doesnt hurt)... airs out the stink too lol

luckynuts
02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Just make sure you have a high quality dry bag for your sleeping bag to go over it's storage bag while packed up.

It shouldnt get wet in your tent if its a good tent, i always turn my bag over unzipped during the day if I'm leaving for the day incase there is any condensation between the bag and pad (never is but doesnt hurt)... airs out the stink too lol

Yep I have a few waterproof compression sacks that I use. The tent will be a MSR hubba hubba HP or just plain hubba hubba.

I was hoping for a little feed back on the outer material and general durability from some of you hardcore guys. Hoping to hear if one product stood out better than the others. I've read quite a bunch of internet stuff on different backpacking sites and so forth but wanted to hear from guys a little closer to home and being in the same kinds of environment. Was trying to get a late season bag with minimal weight that I could try for fit.

Thanks for the replies

W.

bigwhiteys
02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
I was hoping for a little feed back on the outer material and general durability from some of you hardcore guys. Hoping to hear if one product stood out better than the others.
Most of the bags are going to have a nylon outershell with some type of DWR finish on the fabric. These Durable Water Repellent finishes will work fine for 99% of BC use but they are not the "best".

Dryloft = Goretex product, not water repellent. It's only water resistant.
Montbell = DWR finish on Nylon outer

If getting the down wet is a major concern then you probably should be looking for a down bag with not only a DWR exterior finish on the outer, but a waterproof/repellent breathable membrane as well.

Marmot Membrain = An actual waterproof membrane. Probably the better choice.

If I wanted to choose the bag with the best outershell I think I would be leaning towards the eVent down bags that are put out by FeatheredFriends in Seattle. Not on your list, but my experience with eVent fabrics has been fantastic.

Carl

Devilbear
02-17-2011, 01:11 PM
eVent is super stuff, but, a bit too "stiff", IMO, for sleeping bag shells; it works in shell clothing, bivies and tents better than anything else I have seen.

Integral Designs, who make both synthetic and down bags equal to or better than anybody's, uses "Endurance" fabric shells as an option and for their serious winter bags. This is a proprietary waterproof-breathable fabric and by far the best I have used. I had my custom ID XPDII Himalayan bag running with water inside my old North Face VE tent some months after I had Evan make it for me and after four nights, it was still bonedry inside and the shall dried itself during the day.

I have had FF, WM, Marmot, Valandre, several others and ID bags and ID is only exceeded in design, NOT quality, by the Valandre Shocking Blue and Bloody Mary bags.So, if you want a wpb shell, go with an ID bag.

troutseeker
02-17-2011, 08:10 PM
I got little worried when a guy called Luckynuts asked for an opinion on his bags... Glad to see it was only sleeping bags!

I'd consider the Montbel bags, their spiral stuff is pretty comfy!