PDA

View Full Version : Meindl Alaska Hunter Boots

chinook
02-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey there, sorry to beat up the threads with yet another boot question but Im doing it anyways.

Im considering ordering a set of the Meindl Alaska Hunter boots from Cabela's online. Has anyone on here got any feedback, good, bad or otherwise on these boots before I run off burning up my money?

Online reviews seem good but I think this crowd is a little more geared to what Ill be running these boots through than some weekend warrior from a place that never rains.

Thanks

BlacktailStalker
02-15-2011, 10:58 PM
If they aren't the split grain leather, they should be fine.

bcsteve
02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
I got a pair of Perfekt, love them. The Alaska is a very stiff boot (if its what you're looking for). I tried on both before setling on the Perfekt. More of an all purpose hunting boot compared to a mountain boot like the Alaska.

Buck
02-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Looks like they have gone away from the split grain leather in the Canada pro's as well.I have heard the Cabelas model's are manufactured for them and are not as well made .Just what i heard you may want to check into it.

Howy
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Seems to me meindl has had alot of quality issues lately. i own a pair of 10 year old canada pros and there still in decent shape but my bro had a pair blow apart in 2 months last year. I'd just be a little wary till i heard some of the issues they have been having are resolved. I bought scarpa liskams last year and they seem to be very good after a long break in period . hanwag also have excelent boots.

boxhitch
02-16-2011, 04:13 AM
IMO I would never mail order anything that I wanted to fit properly. Thats just looking for a hassle with returns etc

Keep in mind that U.S. sizing is different than CDN or U.K., order accordingly.

There have been some complaints about some Meindls , but don't worry, Cabelas has a great return policy. You just send them back once you get off the mountain.

gbear
02-16-2011, 06:30 AM
I've also heard that the Meindl's made for Cabela's are of a poorer quality, but I bought a pair of these boots about a year and a half ago. So i have now had them for 2 hunting seasons.

I personally am very happy with them. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. The 1st season, I wore them just for elk, moose and deer hunting, and some hiking I did. This last season, I wore them for the same, but I also took them to the mountains twice. Once for a sheep hunt, and once for a goat hunt. The feel good, and they are lasting.

They are a fairly stiff boot, but that's what I was looking for.

Also, 2 years ago, a co worker ordered a pair. He's had them on 3 sheep hunts now, and he is very happy with them also. He has been a meindl boot wearer for as long as he could afford them.

Just my opinion and my somewhat limited experience with them. They are a fair less expensive then the meindl's you buy locally, so if they don't last as long in the end, I guess I expect that. But, I have no problem recommending them to people. In fact, my regular sheep hunting partner is going to buy a pair after seeing mine "in action", so to speak.

Hotshoe
02-16-2011, 07:47 AM
My last pair I got 6 full years of guiding out of them (mainly sheep hunts) Tried a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble lights out for one sheep hunt in the Yukon last year and they were no wear near the boot the Meindl's are. I bought another pair of Alaska Hunter's just last week. You can't go wrong, especially for the money.

North
02-16-2011, 08:30 AM
I hunted with a pair Alaskans this past summer and was pretty happy with them overall.

I put hundreds of back-country kms onto them and they held up pretty good. The tread wore down pretty fast for just one season (around 25-30 days of hunting) and I had one part that split on the upper heal in the stitching but I definitely put these through their paces.

Very comfortable, good waterproofing, great support for the mountains. Maybe not the most durable but I have nothing to compare it to.

wiggy
02-16-2011, 09:04 AM
I hunted with a pair Alaskans this past summer and was pretty happy with them overall.

I put hundreds of back-country kms onto them and they held up pretty good. The tread wore down pretty fast for just one season (around 25-30 days of hunting) and I had one part that split on the upper heal in the stitching but I definitely put these through their paces.

Very comfortable, good waterproofing, great support for the mountains. Maybe not the most durable but I have nothing to compare it to.

Owned 2 of Meindls and both were good boots and i still have them even though their beet to shite. One set were Meindl and one set were Cabelas and as stated by the other guys the Meindl are a better qualtiy. I got some Lowa's now and I think they are a better boot. Just feel like better quality. Either way i would make sure you try on whatever your buying before you order online if possible. Ive spent 120 days in a year in a set so you better love em. Also consider investing in some good footbeds; i would leave home without them

Everett
02-16-2011, 09:45 AM
I have had Cabelas Meindels and Meindels from the shop on Broadway in Vancouver with the know it all staff. The Cabelas boots are the hands down winners because they were half the price and lasted just as long. The other thing is because they say Cabelas on them thats who you deal with for warrenty so no run around like the members on this site have been given on there warrenty issues in Canada.

Buck
02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
To add i have had two pair of Canada pros.The first pair were replaced because the shank separated from the footbed and they squeaked when i walked.They gave me a new pair after trying to fix them they lasted well but eventually started to leak.For some reason at that time my arch fell and the boots were to small so i retired them.I really like the boots protected my feet well and really cushioned hard terrain.I have been trying on a lot of brands lately and other than my Aku's which no one carrys anymore the Meindel's feel the best.

x-hare
02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
[
quote=Everett;858057]I have had Cabelas Meindels and Meindels from the shop on Broadway in Vancouver with the know it all staff.]
First off I'd like to thank all of you for your feedback on this topic.
I have been looking for a good pair of boots for awhile in the process I've tried many. I'd been to A.J.Brooks a couple of times and have had great debates with the opinionated gentleman (I think owner)
and it came down to this the BOOT backs up everything he say's.
Very knowledgeable and those Slowenian's really know their stuff
He's also very proud of the product he sell's.
Time will only tell the true tale but,
Today I bought my Meindl's off him.
Borneo Pro MFS
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/x-hare_photos/IMG_2409.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/x-hare_photos/IMG_2411.jpg
Hope I can show you what they look like in a couple of years.
Cheers

Everett
02-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Well I recomend tossing the crap insole before you break them to your foot. Hope nothing goes wrong with them because you if it does you will be dealing with those same folks good luck.

chinook
02-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Sounds like decent reviews for these boots so I went ahead and ordered them from Cabela's. Hopefully they'll work out, if not...oh well, Ive spent more in worse ways over the years. I looked into them a bit and from what I see, they are the same as the Meindl Glockners....except instead of being Glockners, they pasted Cabela's on the side to try a move a few more pairs.

I also ordered a pair of these Meindls for work http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MEINC. Ive heard from other guys that they pretty good idea and for the amount of ground I cover on the Coast for work I figured I may as well give them a shot. Im into Meindl for a few bucks now so I hope it all works out. Once Ive got a few clicks pounded into them Ill add my 2-cents on what I think of them.

Thanks for your guys' input.

Howy
02-19-2011, 05:56 PM
good luck boys hope your not disappointed. If they do work out for you please let us know i'd love to try another pair if the quality has returned.

2tins
02-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Check out Lowa boots. Very comfortable and very fast break in.

RoverHound
02-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Bought a pair of Meindl's on my brother's suggestion. He bought a pair before his tour of duty in Afghanistan. He wore them 24/7 over there and loved them. Said they were a necessity. I love mine and they didn't take long to break in at all.

troutseeker
02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Them Borneo's look good! If you plan on spending time in mountains I'd suggest getting a rubber toe cap on them. That rubber rand looks pretty skinny!

x-hare
02-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Well I recommend tossing the crap insole before you break them to your foot. Hope nothing goes wrong with them because you if it does you will be dealing with those same folks good luck.
Not sure why I'd want to do that?
They spent about an hour fitting my boots building up and adjusting the foot bed to my feet. It's customer service that you don't get from mail-order.
I tried on a couple of other pairs of the same model before finding the fit I liked from these.
When there Handmade every pair fit different.
You can spend a lot of money on foot beds ( I have) but lets leave that for discussion on another post

Jagermeister
02-20-2011, 11:32 PM
I just tucked my feet into these and off we went. Probably less than the cost of those Meidls pictured.
The only boots that I had to get the foot bed fitted like that were salomon ski boots because they had poor arch support.

SHACK
02-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I have had a pair of the alaska hunters for 3 seasons now, maybe four, and they have put up with alot of abuse, the soles still have decent tread, the leather is in great shape, and they are still as solid as the day I got them & Im a big fella, and I am rough on my boots because of it.
Definetly worth every penny, or should I say penny saved.
I am currently trying out kennetrek hardscrabbles to see how they do for a lighter/cooler wearing boot, but I would have to say the Cabelas miendl's are still the winners. I am thinking I should have bought the short top version Cabelas has of the Alaska hunters instead.
My next pair will be from Cabelas again!

Buck
02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I just tucked my feet into these and off we went. Probably less than the cost of those Meidls pictured.
The only boots that I had to get the foot bed fitted like that were salomon ski boots because they had poor arch support.

Those are Sportiva boots?

Just wondering if you guys that had the Meindles shipped to Canada did you pay a Tariff?

x-hare
02-23-2011, 07:36 PM
[quote=Buck;864288]Those are Sportiva boots?

quote]

Take a walk West Broadway you see them all.:mrgreen:

chinook
02-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Just wondering if you guys that had the Meindles shipped to Canada did you pay a Tariff?

For the meindle caulked (corked) boots I bought from Hoffman I was billed an additional $50 or sometihing for HST and for the priviledge of those dick heads charging me that HST they charged an additional $5 Service Fee!! I have not got my other pair from Cabelas yet, any day Im hoping.

tbow
02-23-2011, 09:38 PM
....very comfortable and water proof...shot 4 dall sheep and one goat wearing them...they are worn out, im gonna buy another pair soon...Cabelas has awsome cust. service