PDA

View Full Version : lookin for gooses!!

meat eater
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
i'm not lookin for people to tell me there goose hunting spot's!( but ya can if ya wanna!!) just curious if people are still seeing them around the kamloops and merritt area?? i'm also curious as to a good but not overly expensive 12 gauge shell to use? i've been thinking about the black cloud but i've never tried them yet as i'm only a second time outer!! any info would be great or tip's!! thanks!

Tyee
02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
forget about black cloud, win bb 3 1/2inch
i'm not lookin for people to tell me there goose hunting spot's!( but ya can if ya wanna!!) just curious if people are still seeing them around the kamloops and merritt area?? i'm also curious as to a good but not overly expensive 12 gauge shell to use? i've been thinking about the black cloud but i've never tried them yet as i'm only a second time outer!! any info would be great or tip's!! thanks!

warnniklz
02-15-2011, 07:20 PM
forget about black cloud, win bb 3 1/2inch

I disagree... When I hit geese with black cloud it's like they ran into a wall. I've even dropped geese out 40 yards with black cloud. And big ones too (12 pound birds)

Ian F.
02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Get in your vehicle and drive!

No I'm not being a smartass, you find birds by putting in time. Geese need water daily, and food daily, so find their roost (water), be their at first light and watch where they fly too and follow them!

Ask permission, Kill birds!

#2's and BB's are the most popular shells, 2 3/4 on up, birds over decoys will die if you shoot straight!

Ian

Matty_ola
02-16-2011, 08:29 PM

It's kinda tough hunting geese around the Loops area in the spring as most of the water around is frozen. I think the best way to get into some birds in March will be either on farmer fields or by following the Thompson river in any direction and keep a watch for them.

Like the fella said before, get in your mobile and drive. I also happen to know the Indian reserve has a hell of a lot of birds on it but you have to chase them on foot and smack em with a golf club;) JK :wink:

Cheers and good luck.

meat eater
02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
i plan on going scouting! i do have a place i just haven't got out there since the last day of season. i live alot higher elavation so i havent seen any sitting on the lake ice fishin i was just wondering if anybody had seen any around. but yes i will be going lookin prier to the hunt!! thanks for the input i will let ya know after the first day how my luck was!!

longshot
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I know the shrapnel Xpert shells work for some guys, but I cant kill a crow at 15 yards with them outta my 870!

The "Speed Shok" Federals have been working for us. Real cheap stuff too. Just your standard shell with powder, wad, and round pellets. No BS, no gimmicks, no meat slicing pellet crap... just a good all around shell. They are also very consistant in all weather.

3" 1-1/8oz. #2 1550 fps... speed kills! Pounds em' 13 pounders stone dead at 25-30 yards.

lorneparker1
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Get in your vehicle and drive!

No I'm not being a smartass, you find birds by putting in time. Geese need water daily, and food daily, so find their roost (water), be their at first light and watch where they fly too and follow them!

Ask permission and get told to fly a kite!

Ian

Fixed.

Lorne ::)

field marshal
02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Lorne; You are probably screwed for this year, will come up in the Spring or early Summer and teach you and 303 Brit how to aquire permission???
Perhaps you could both get haircuts and clean up your personal appearances.:( Looking like deranged killing machines is obviously not working for you??:confused: Take some time to learn British Columbian??:-D
Ontarion speak is not winning friends and influencing anyone???
Will expect you both to start your personal makeovers as soon as possible! You're welcome! Cheers----Field Marshal. Sorry for hi-jack.(FM)

meat eater
02-22-2011, 08:36 AM
SEEN TONS OF GEESE IN ASHCROFT AREA !! now if i could just scare them closer to merritt!!

meat eater
02-26-2011, 09:05 PM
this darn cold weather isn't helping to bring the geese back home for my early hunt!!!

meat eater
02-28-2011, 09:59 PM
iwent out scouting but this couple of days of -20 crap didn't help i found a small flock of about 20. but these will be shot up by the time i get a chance to get out next weekend!! oh well maybe next time! that salmon arm area sounds like it may be interesting.