PDA

View Full Version : Is the rut hunt a meat hunt?

horshur
02-15-2011, 10:56 AM
It has been stated that the average hunter in BC is a meat hunter and various surveys and articles have been posted to defend this position so why do we have a rut hunt in any region then?

a foregone conclusion that the bucks are a bit more vulnerable is betrayed in the current regulations with 4 point restrictions or even closures during the rut period.

that most of the bigger bucks posted on this forum from region three are harvested during the rut or just pre and post rut...this is the same for other regions.

The fact that a rutting deer is not a fine piece of tablefare seems to betray the members posting that are fighting for resident trophy hunting which is by there own admition a small percentage of BC resident hunter intrest.

there is no reason why a meat hunt should include the rut.

if we had a very limited rut hunt with concesions for a liberal GOS we could probably stop all this infighting.

Everett
02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
There is nothing wrong with a deer shot in the rut I have shot a dozen at least and all have been fine eating. I would argue it is the best time for a meat hunt as its the easiest time to shoot a buck.

CanuckShooter
02-15-2011, 11:03 AM
There is nothing wrong with a deer shot in the rut I have shot a dozen at least and all have been fine eating. I would argue it is the best time for a meat hunt as its the easiest time to shoot a buck.

I agree, never had a bad deer rut or not....another urban myth.

There is no logical reason why a meat hunt shouldn't include the time considered to be the rut. [which is also up to debate].

Pioneerman
02-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Again I have to agree I have never had a buck taken during the rut that was bad meat in any way.

KodiakHntr
02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Only bad eating deer I've ever had was a two point muley killed on opening day.....

Mr. Dean
02-15-2011, 11:19 AM
I hunt for the challenge of hunting and all my deer have come out of the early season because of that - It's my personal choice.

Yes, all my deer have been pulled from reg 3, except for 1.

IMO harvest rates should be the deciding factor for conservation concerns; if the population is 'happy', let hunters hunt!, regardless of timing.

Howbout we mandate a 'dink only season' for the rut and force the guys who want trophy's, to really work for them (facetious)?

horshur
02-15-2011, 11:21 AM
yeh how about we ask your wives how it tastes?:mrgreen:

paw325
02-15-2011, 11:25 AM

My whole family does not like the taste or texture of rutty mule deer buck only thing worse is caribou in October.

Weatherby Fan
02-15-2011, 11:26 AM
It has been stated that the average hunter in BC is a meat hunter and various surveys and articles have been posted to defend this position so why do we have a rut hunt in any region then?

a foregone conclusion that the bucks are a bit more vulnerable is betrayed in the current regulations with 4 point restrictions or even closures during the rut period.

that most of the bigger bucks posted on this forum from region three are harvested during the rut or just pre and post rut...this is the same for other regions.

The fact that a rutting deer is not a fine piece of tablefare seems to betray the members posting that are fighting for resident trophy hunting which is by there own admition a small percentage of BC resident hunter intrest.

if we had a very limited rut hunt with concesions for a liberal GOS we could probably stop all this infighting.

I think by law every hunter in BC is a meat hunter,I choose to shoot deer with a bigger set of antlers simply because a four point will yeild more meat than a spike,and yes I would love to shoot a BC record book buck.

I have shot deer at all times of the GOS and meat quality is always good,some deer just taste better than others.

If a person wants to shoot a deer which they consider trophy status thats his right as he paid for his licence just as you and I have.

If you read some info by Valerius Geist(U of Calgary biologist and mule deer authority) the 4 point restriction actually did more for enhancement than time management as your refering to.
I believe this management theme was used with great success in the Western US States also at the hands of Dr Geist.
Again if you asked most hunter's I think they would prefer to shoot a 4 point over a spike and there's always some that could care less and are happy shooting any deer for meat and again good on them as thats their right to do so.
A Trophy is in the eye of the beholder no matter the size of it's antlers or horns or if it has none at all.

WF

CanuckShooter
02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
My whole family does not like the taste or texture of rutty mule deer buck only thing worse is caribou in October.

99% of that is probably in the handling....just saying....or no accounting for bad taste [kidding]:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
02-15-2011, 11:28 AM
The mules we shot in the gang ranch years ago that hung in the calving barn frozen solid and made the ride home with hydes still on 2-3 days later, shot in the rut... tasted like sh!t because of the latter IMO.

So, I always skin/dress my deer immediately.... and most come out deboned as that is often the only way to get them out.
They've all tasted fine.

For those of us not hunting strictly for meat but because we just like being out there, I think it would be almost sad to lose rut hunts completely.
I think hunters' styles are drastically different... for me, I usually have an elk in the freezer but I still feel a big part of my fall is the opportunity to head out into a distant area learn new country and stomp around looking for a big mulie, when the timing is right, fresh snows, cooler temperature and all the ideal conditions that happen, during the timing of the rut.
I still eat tags but by choice, not finding what I want, but the fact its my choice because the stars didnt align on a good buck in a time they could have, makes it ok. I'm there for the experience and fresh air more than anything but if I didnt have a RIGHT to be there, I couldn't be.
Having options should be a pro to being a BC resident.
Obviously, if we were all locals to areas that hold great bucks and we had the time and ability to scout these areas hard, timing (rut) wouldn't be an issue, but to most of us, that isn't an option and unless we ride somebodys coat tail, so we set out with hopes of good luck at a time that can be good.

Some of these things are why I live in BC and why I don't mind spending my $ to visit other parts of BC.
The more we lose the more hesitant we'll be to spend our $ IMO.

steel_ram
02-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Many of the bucks I have taken in the rut have been stinky. Certainly not prime table fare compared to early season. I am pretty meticulous about meat care. Occasionally there are exceptions.

I have no doubt many of these deer would be nearly uncatchable by legal means any other time of the year.

I do notice, there always seems to be a lot of meat left over to give away or to feed the dogs in some freezers.

paw325
99% of that is probably in the handling....just saying....or no accounting for bad taste [kidding]:mrgreen:

You telling me its good, doesn't make it so :wink:

CanuckShooter
I hunt for the challenge of hunting and all my deer have come out of the early season because of that - It's my personal choice.

Yes, all my deer have been pulled from reg 3, except for 1.

IMO harvest rates should be the deciding factor for conservation concerns; if the population is 'happy', let hunters hunt!, regardless of timing.

Howbout we mandate a 'dink only season' for the rut and force the guys who want trophy's, to really work for them (facetious)?

I bet you'd have to keep a low profile during that season eh?? :mrgreen: [nudge]

bigwhiteys
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM
I have no problem going against the grain here... I've taken 4 of my own 4 pnt muleys and been in on the killing of many others in which I received some of the meat.

These were grain fed, peace country deer, taken in the rut, gutted immediately, hung and caped within an hour and then basically froze solid (because it was so cold).

Every single one tasted like rutted out piss and the only exception was the Jerky which was awesome, but I couldn't afford to make 200lbs of Jerky everytime. The whitetails I've shot in some of the same places were always better eating.

Just cooking the burger smelled like I had a rutted out buck in my kitchen. My wife wouldn't even let me cook it, and she eats Moose, Elk, Bison and Island Deer no problem.

Carl

CanuckShooter
02-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I have no problem going against the grain here... I've taken 4 of my own 4 pnt muleys and been in on the killing of many others in which I received some of the meat.

These were grain fed, peace country deer, taken in the rut, gutted immediately, hung and caped within an hour and then basically froze solid (because it was so cold).

Every single one tasted like rutted out piss and the only exception was the Jerky which was awesome, but I couldn't afford to make 200lbs of Jerky everytime. The whitetails I've shot in some of the same places were always better eating.

Just cooking the burger smelled like I had a rutted out buck in my kitchen. My wife wouldn't even let me cook it, and she eats Moose, Elk, Bison and Island Deer no problem.

Carl

bone in or out?? fat trimmed off or left on??

really curious because of having exact opposite experience??

Mikey Rafiki
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Feel free. When me and the GF first got together she had an issue with me killing deer. I servered her a deer steak taken in the peak of the rut from the year before, two bites in her exact words were "Ok, I'd kill for this"

Kirby

Now that's a woman. You have a keeper my friend!

jrjonesy
02-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Another vote for never having had a problem with the taste of a buck killed during the rut.

bigwhiteys
02-15-2011, 12:01 PM
bone in or out?? fat trimmed off or left on??

really curious because of having exact opposite experience??
Most of the lumpy fat was usually trimmed off, the chest cavities split and walls wiped down. No hair, no ruptured piss sac or intestines.

Bones were left in as the deer were hung skinned, outside on game poles in sub-zero weather. Frozen solid within 24 hours. Taken to a butcher within a few days. Sometimes we had it done locally if it was warmer out, or if the meat was frozen we'd haul it home and have it butchered here.

It was consistently not the greatest meat. My 6pnt (and old) bull elk we ruptured the intestine and the piss sac and the meat was fine. Excellent actually. Taken from the same area as the muleys, eating the same feed.

Carl

budismyhorse
02-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Last year I shot a muley buck in the full rut.........quartered and brought the deer out immediately.

Then butchered it that afternoon......fat trimmed and I mean ALL FAT trimmed painstakingly.

Its my opinion that the poor taste comes from the tallow full of oils from a rutting animal. If you hang deer at that time of year, and allow the tallow to set up and oils to penetrate the meat, your in trouble.

I'd bet dollars to donuts Carl's burger had the fat incorporated during grinding.

just my opinion though as the deer I butcherd last year was very good.

Jelvis
02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Very few people I know that hunt mule deer and I know quite a few don't really like the taste that much, they go for antlers and give the meat away.
If you want delicious mule deer kill a young one as early in the season as you can.
If you want a big rack go in late October on. I like mule deer meat but no roasts can't stand roasts, it's chops and steaks the rest ground up or sausage meat smokies.
Jel .. Big or small young or old? Stick with what you prefer ..

bigwhiteys
02-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Its my opinion that the poor taste comes from the tallow full of oils from a rutting animal. If you hang deer at that time of year, and allow the tallow to set up and oils to penetrate the meat, your in trouble.

I'd bet dollars to donuts Carl's burger had the fat incorporated during grinding.
I agree with the oils etc... The meat literally smelled just like the deer after I walked up to them. They were ALL rutty, swollen necks, had been rolling in their own piss it smelled like.

There was probably ground up fat in the burger. We trimmed all the disgusting lumpy fat off though. Probably not as meticulous as we could have been but got most. The hides always come off quick on anything we kill.

Carl

bforce750
02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't even shoot a deer for meat after November 5th, the meat is very poor quality and it stinks.The only thing you can do with a full rut mule deer is make roni and some sausage, unless you can't smell or your tongue is missing. And for everyone that enjoys a nice skunk marinated steak eat up....I'll eat my early season mulie.

Everett
02-15-2011, 12:24 PM

Well the wife and I ate steaks of her whitetail shot the last day of this years season tender and delicous was the consensus.

Tenacious Billy
02-15-2011, 12:25 PM

We had a late September caribou one year......I've never actually eaten dog shit, but in my mind, it would taste similar to that Cari-poo. :cry:

bigwhiteys
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Well the wife and I ate steaks of her whitetail shot the last day of this years season tender and delicous was the consensus.

Any of the Whitetail I have shot have tasted considerably better than the Mule deer and some were taken from the exact same location, same time of year, same feed.

Carl

bforce750
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
[quote=Everett;857413]Well the wife and I ate steaks of her whitetail shot the last day of this years season tender and delicous was the consensus.[/quote

I agree with the whitetail they do taste good even in the rut.

CanuckShooter
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I agree with the oils etc... The meat literally smelled just like the deer after I walked up to them. They were ALL rutty, swollen necks, had been rolling in their own piss it smelled like.

There was probably ground up fat in the burger. We trimmed all the disgusting lumpy fat off though. Probably not as meticulous as we could have been but got most. The hides always come off quick on anything we kill.

Carl

Bones out when you cut??

I find this real strange....although I guess it could happen as I shot a moose one time that just swam a large lake...nothing we could do would cover up the taste of that animal and he wasn't in the rut [adrenaline stink?]

Everett
02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
To be honest I have shot both Mule deer and blacktail in the rut and have never had a bad one. I very much enjoy the taste of MD. The only bad deer I have ever eaten were all from Nova Scotia and in every case the killers did not handle the meat properly. I am curious if having the meat freeze before butchering is affecting the taste. Its something I have yet to have happen as I hang my deer insind the house if its real cold out.

bigwhiteys
02-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Bones out when you cut??

They were all butchered by professionals. The jerky was awesome, but it's not economical for me to make 200lbs of it, so because of that I don't have much interest in mule deer hunting for the meat. Backpack hunting for muleys interests me, but it would be for the antlers mainly. If the meat was decent, then a bonus but I am not holding my breath! :)

Carl

bigwhiteys
02-15-2011, 12:43 PM
I am curious if having the meat freeze before butchering is affecting the taste. Its something I have yet to have happen as I hang my deer insind the house if its real cold out.
We have hung deer outside, where they have frozen solid in like minus -25 and also had the luxury of hanging them in a garage/shop too where they didn't. No difference with our deer. We know how to handle the meat, and I am pretty meticulous at caring for it once the animal is down.

Willy split the chest on my Elk with an Axe in about 2 swipes... It was messy as hell, elk terds and piss everywhere in the cavity, warm september. Meat sat in the back of my pickup for 1.5 days on our run to the island, then went straight to the butcher. It was awesome, whole family loved it.

I love wild game, just not black bear or rutty mule deer. I've eaten caripoo but was too young too really remember.

Carl

Tenacious Billy
02-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Carl

X2 - Mule deer tastes like fart......

Everett
02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Well I hope I never run into one of these bad tasting Muleys.

KodiakHntr
02-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I am curious if having the meat freeze before butchering is affecting the taste. Its something I have yet to have happen as I hang my deer insind the house if its real cold out.

I doubt it....But maybe.

The big muley I killed as he trailed some does on November 6th was skinned that day, but froze solid as a rock overnight...Left him hanging for a week to see if the weather was going to warm up at all and finally gave up and deboned him in the house, mostly frozen. Backstraps were delicious.

The big muley my gf killed on the 21st as he was trying to tend some does was deboned and frozen 3 hours after he hit the ground, and he was phenominal also....In fact, I think I'll have some tonight.

bigwhiteys
02-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Well I hope I never run into one of these bad tasting Muleys.

I hope the next one I run into is a 180+ plus buck, because that's the only way I see myself killing another one.

Carl

Ronforca
02-15-2011, 12:53 PM
I have shot a quite a few Deer both Whitetail and Mulies.I do prefer Whiteteil Meat.I have had two bad Deer.One was gut shot and the other was a large buck that ran a long distance after being shot.I always leave the hide on but open the chest cavity as soon as possible.When I skin the deer I remove all of the fat.It turns rancid very quickly if left on the meat when it is in the freezer.I like to shoot my Deer early in the season because they have not run themselves ragged but there is nothing wrong with rutting deer meat if it is looked after properly right from the time that it is shot.The White tail and Mulie that I shot this year were so good and tender that I don't think that many people can tell its wild game.I enjoy feeding my venision to people that say they hate Deer meat.They never know the difference.I have done the same with Blackbear meat.

tomahawk
02-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Moose and deer are great tasting during the rut and I enjoy the fun of calling and watching their rutting activity behaviours.

islander338
02-15-2011, 12:55 PM
I dont like wild game bones or fat. Its not a beef steak. Any of the deer Ive shot on Vancouver Island or Haida Gwaii were bone free,fat free processed myself and delicous. I havent shot any mule deer. I have had mule deer processed by a butcher with a band saw and it tasted like shit.(who knows how it was cared for)

Pioneerman
02-15-2011, 01:03 PM
As I said I have not had a bad tasting deer at any time of year , But I do know some have a different smell, before cooking , but after cooking they were all good. I think the taste has a lot to do with each persons perception, we can all sit down to exactly the same meal and some will love it and some will hate it. I also know that I have served Elk Deer Moose and Bear to some people that said they would never eat wild game because it tatses terrible and yet they all ate it and went back for seconds. My friends wife absolutely loved the bear roasdts I was cooking yet her husband refused to shoot one , because in his mind they all stunk and could not be eaten. She would rather have the bear meat than any thing else she had in the freezer, but until then she never got to try it because of his perception. I have had the same thing happen with Peperoni and the mother inlaw who bashed me for hunting and how could I do that, so after a couple handfulls of the moose and bear peperoni that she gulped down I told her. Then suddenly she did not like it and it tasted terrible, but only when she knew what it was.

So I guess if you don't like it whether it is a true taste difference of in our minds at least it is not going to waist and someone will eat it and enjoy it.

Squamch
02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I've never had a bad tasting deer, but I had a gross black bear once. I've had lots of good bear meat too. Ah well, the dog loved it, but her farts multiplied by bear meat that smelled like farts....the dog wouldn't even stick around after she dropped one of those bombs!

02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Canuck Shooter,

It isnt in my eyes handeling of the meat in this case. We take pride in our handeling. My Dad has no problem with a ruttty 4point. He thinks they are all great. I disagree, this is the same deer.

We shoot's the deer then we's guts the deer then recovers the deer to camp. At camp it is skinned and washed with alot of water ( buckets ). Then quartered and blood spatter trimmed out. That is in camp care in November.

upon arrival home we butcher By boning out and trimming fat off as much as possible.

That is what we do. Dad, as well as you see know difference. But i do.

Disclaimer: I absolutly love high mountail Rut hunting Mule deer and do not think about how the deer will taste. I will eat it and like it. Just not as much as the same deer shot in October.

Pioneerman
02-15-2011, 01:09 PM
I've never had a bad tasting deer, but I had a gross black bear once. I've had lots of good bear meat too. Ah well, the dog loved it, but her farts multiplied by bear meat that smelled like farts....the dog wouldn't even stick around after she dropped one of those bombs!

Hell even I have a lot more gas when eating bear meat,:oops: I assume it has something to do with how it breaks down in our system

BCrams
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Between my Dad and I, we've taken quite a few mule deer (both bucks and antlerless from the Peace country) over the last 25 years. I can't say we've had any bad mule deer. We don't get burger from mule deer but primarily, roasts, steaks, sausages (dinner & breakfast), jerky, salami, and cervalot which all tasted great. The cuts depended on what we need to round out the freezer with our moose.

We've shared our Peace muley deer with folks who have complained about Peace muleys or from other bucks elsewhere themselves and have gone basically 'wow'.

Another vote for no problems with deer taken during the rut.

Kody94
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
As far as muleys in the rut go I've had some good, some not so good. My wife won't touch mule deer that has any musky smell to it. I shot a buck this year that was rutting HARD, big neck, Nov 21....the wife is loving it. I trimmed the living heck out of it though...not a spec of fat after it was cut up.

With whitetails, elk and moose...the rut did nothing to the meat.

Caribou...it gets pretty musky during the rut, but before (and after...like January on the Dempster) it is about the best meat going...right up there with thinhorns.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Feel free to ask my kids and wife.

Is every 4 pt a trophy???:confused:

Haven't passed up a 4 pt for a number of yrs.

SSS

frenchbar
02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
ive only shot 3 mule deer past nov 1st ..in 35 yrs of hunting them ....They all were pretty crappy tasting.........just ask my wife:mrgreen:

snareman1234
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Killed a 5pt muley this year,

Nov 5,

Smelled rutish, hung him 12 days, cut all hinds and backstraps into steaks, been eating them for months,

Tender and great

Got my meat and a trophy as a bonus..

boxhitch
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM
The one and only poor MD we have had in the freezer was one that was cut up with a band saw. After the first couple of meals, the rest was donated to the dogs.
Maybe the herbs growing in the Okanagan make for better eating deer

BillyBull
02-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Only meat I have had where it was not good is when the deer/moose is really old... (based on the old submission of the tooth). The care you take during what happens after its down is the key to good table fare...

Just a sidebar: friend of mind is down south in Minn/Wisc and they have earn a buck on whitetails... you have to shoot a doe to get your buck tag. Thinking this would be nice for region 8 for an increase in the GOS for whitey's.

Muleycatcher
02-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I have yet to shoot a buck in the rut or anytime for that matter that has tasted bad.
Shot a really old buck in mid november and he tasted just as good as any other buck I've taken.

Gateholio
02-15-2011, 03:24 PM
The rut hunt IS a meat hunt!

M.Dean
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM
I've taken lots of Bucks during the Rut, and they were great eating! The Buck in my Avater was shot in November, it had piss all over it's neck, froze in big chunks, it's hide stunk like a Mother!!! But he was good eating, we took the hide off right away, washed him down, dryed him and in the cold room he went. I think in "Some" cases, it's mishandling of the meat which gives it a real bad taste. And, yes I hunt the peak of the Rut for horn size, the meat is Bonus!!!

brian
02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Back to the original question... meat hunters are opportunists. And the rut is simply another opportunity to hunt. I'd be a shame to take it away.

Whisky Creek
02-15-2011, 04:09 PM
For some folks I suppose the rut is a meat hunt, however, not for me. We prefer eating moose any day of the week over mule deer and prefer nothing at all to eating mule deer in the rut...
I've seen mule deer bucks and does in the rut cause a guy to gag from the smell of them and even after very careful and meticulous field work and butchering, still gag a fella when trying to eat it.

Gateholio
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Back to the original question... meat hunters are opportunists. And the rut is simply another opportunity to hunt. I'd be a shame to take it away.

exactly. It's the best opportunity for even a new hunter to bag a deer!

urbanhermit
02-15-2011, 04:28 PM
For some folks I suppose the rut is a meat hunt, however, not for me. We prefer eating moose any day of the week over mule deer and prefer nothing at all to eating mule deer in the rut...
I've seen mule deer bucks and does in the rut cause a guy to gag from the smell of them and even after very careful and meticulous field work and butchering, still gag a fella when trying to eat it.
what a pansy, what is a pr#cK doing shooting it if he aint man enough to eat it?

Tenacious Billy
02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
what a pansy, what is a pr#cK doing shooting it if he aint man enough to eat it?

Where exactly in his post did it say that he shot a mule deer and would not eat it?? I've certainly eaten wild game that I didn't shoot......Mule deer a few times in fact.....and it tasted like fart.

ruger#1
02-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Where exactly in his post did it say that he shot a mule deer and would not eat it?? I've certainly eaten wild game that I didn't shoot......Mule deer a few times in fact.....and it tasted like fart.Never eaten fart before. Oh well what ever makes a person happy. I have eaten and shot lots Whitetails, Black tails and mule deer. And the ones that have tasted bad were only a few mule deer. This is the reason they grow onions and garlic. And for me it is a meat hunt during the rut.

The Hermit
02-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Horsure = bad chef! ;-)

Whisky Creek
02-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Well thanks for jumping to all kinds of rediculous conclusions there urbanhermit. Not sure where you are coming from on that one????

Anyways..... I haven't hunted mule deer with the goal of filling the freezer in a longtime because we are generally lucky enough to bag a moose or some other (what we consider to be a) better eating critter. I've hunted mule deer each year since 1995 (when I moved to BC) without shooting one for about 4 or 5 years now as I have decided that if I'm going to eat my way through another one, it is going to be one that also happens to be carrying a gorgeous rack! In that time, I've not found one that measures up to that goal.

I eat what I shoot with wolves and coyotes being the exception to that rule. Do you shoot those critters as well? Do you eat them?
If you don't, does that make you a pansy and a pr#ck?
According to your statement, I guess it does....

Ease up there little fella........:confused:

Tenacious Billy
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Never eaten fart before. Oh well what ever makes a person happy. I have eaten and shot lots Whitetails, Black tails and mule deer. And the ones that have tasted bad were only a few mule deer. This is the reason they grow onions and garlic. And for me it is a meat hunt during the rut.

If you enjoy Mule deer, you'd enjoy farts. :wink: Anyways, obviously some guys like it and some guys don't.......

ruger#1
02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
If you enjoy Mule deer, you'd enjoy farts. :wink: Anyways, obviously some guys like it and some guys don't....... I didn't say I enjoyed eating mule deer. But the ones i like most in order are. Whitetail:wink:, Blacktail:wink: then Mule deer:confused:.

Jedcote50
02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
I believe many hunters wouldn't get a chance at any buck if it wasn't for hunting in the rut. It takes a combination of skill and luck to bag any game, if you have more of one you need less of the other. I put in lots of time practicing my skills, but I'll be the first to admit that many of my 'trophy' bucks were a result of being lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time. As for the taste of mulies or any game meat for that matter, it is a combination of a number of variables that determine if it will be fine cuisine or dog food. What the animal was eating (quality and quantity) as well as the terrain (steep hills or flat land)
will have a major effect on the muscle texture. How the animal is cared for once it is down is very important to the final outcome but the biggest factor most hunters over look is the actual killing shot itself. It's my opinion that animals that are able to run once they're hit are in absolute panic mode and will have adrenaline, testosterone and who knows what else pumping throughout their body. I'm no scientist but all those 'extra' compounds in the blood stream must have some residual effect on the meat' taste. I don't want to hijack this thread by getting into ethics of head shots versus heart/lung shots, I'm just saying that the taste of the animal is effected by more than the rut. I like hunting whenever I can get out, but I prefer late Oct. the best

willy442
02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
ive only shot 3 mule deer past nov 1st ..in 35 yrs of hunting them ....They all were pretty crappy tasting.........just ask my wife:mrgreen:

Those that think they are good in the rut have never actually tasted a good one so how would they know the difference.

How can something that spends 2 to 3 weeks running around fighting and pissing on it's self taste better than a deer that has been laying around relaxed eating grain or grass.

Just another HBC know it all bunch of rookies thread!:-D

Kody94
02-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Those that think they are good in the rut have never actually tasted a good one so how would they know the difference.

How can something that spends 2 to 3 weeks running around fighting and pissing on it's self taste better than a deer that has been laying around relaxed eating grain or grass.

The real know-it-all has now spoken. ;)

Who on here said that a rutting deer tastes BETTER?

I grew up in the Peace and we ate nothing but game meat. My Pa had a bison ranch up there for a dozen years or so as well....so I've tried 'em all free range and grain-fed. Early season right up to the bitter end of the rut. I'm old enough to have chewed on a lot of mule deer. And I stand by my opinion that they aren't all bad in the rut....my deer from this year, and one from 2007 as a couple of cases-in-point.

Bow Walker
02-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Every time I hunt it's a "meat hunt". Plus the others are right - deer in the rut taste just fine. Maybe it's because I bone all my deer out.

Buckmeister
02-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Only read page one of this post. But I agree with most posters on that page. Deer shot in the rut do not taste bad. It has nothing at all to do with the rut, and everything to do with how the deer was field dressed and the meat was handled afterword. If you get an unpleasant taste from your meat, it probably wasn't handled very good.

People being people, they would rather blame the taste on a falsehood (rutting buck), than be adult enough to admit they didn't handle the meat properly, or perhaps they were never taught how, and they choose to believe the myth.

mod7rem
02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
I have shot lots of mule deer, plenty during nov rut and I cant remember having a bad tasting one yet. Some are tougher than others but no real difference in taste. The best meat in my freezer depends on the year, some years the mule deer is better(more tender) than anything else, sometimes sheep etc. The only consistent one for me has been sept caribou. I havent had sept caribou yet that wasnt good. The other consistent one is elk in the rut, so far I have found it to be the strongest(gameyist) meat I have had in my freezer. I find goat tastes fine but is pretty tough. All these animals are handled the same, deboned in the field and packed out. Just my experience.

Gateholio
02-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah, the meat from a deer in the rut sucks. SOmehow I manage to choke it down though....

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/8425_152661025515_526315515_3984961_4433301_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v649/111/96/526315515/n526315515_2427430_3521.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2171/111/96/526315515/n526315515_2539419_3046.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/11047_208234390515_526315515_4553551_866900_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/26020_409447395515_526315515_5597469_3684289_n.jpg

urbanhermit
02-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Well thanks for jumping to all kinds of rediculous conclusions there urbanhermit. Not sure where you are coming from on that one????

Anyways..... I haven't hunted mule deer with the goal of filling the freezer in a longtime because we are generally lucky enough to bag a moose or some other (what we consider to be a) better eating critter. I've hunted mule deer each year since 1995 (when I moved to BC) without shooting one for about 4 or 5 years now as I have decided that if I'm going to eat my way through another one, it is going to be one that also happens to be carrying a gorgeous rack! In that time, I've not found one that measures up to that goal.

I eat what I shoot with wolves and coyotes being the exception to that rule. Do you shoot those critters as well? Do you eat them?
If you don't, does that make you a pansy and a pr#ck?
According to your statement, I guess it does....

Ease up there little fella........:confused:
i appologise i did not mean it to be directed at you but in the third person. The mulies are not as bad as some have tried to convey they are.
I just dont think it is appropriate to have hunters and guides saying how bad they taste when the only real reason we are still allowed to hunt is that most non hunters think we are doing it for the meat. not fit to eat, not fit to hunt will be the antis next approach. thats why bear hunting is an easy target, lower percentage of the hunters eating the meat.

Fisher-Dude
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
The shittiest tasting deer I remember was a young whitetail basket I shot one Sept 19 that the "new" butcher I tried ground the fat into the burger and left it on the steaks and roasts. :-? The dog enjoyed a lot of that deer because what should have been delicious was gross due to a bad butcher job. I tried trimming the steaks and roasts before I cooked them, but just having that fat in the same package ruined the meat. Fat doesn't freeze properly, and goes rancid fast, tainting the adjoining meat. That was the first and last time I went to that butcher.

I've shot lots of mule deer in the rut and have enjoyed them as good table fare. Skin it within a couple of hours, in to the locker the same day, and BONELESS right away = good eats. The big muley that Anytail shot last Nov 20 is absolutely delicious, with no wild taste at all.

Our current butcher (6 years now) always comments on how well cared for the meat is that we bring in. The other part is that he is fussy and doesn't allow any dirty or bone sour meat anywhere near his shop. He pisses a few people off by turning them away, but he doesn't want the bacteria from someone else's meat contaminating ours. We've had superior meat every time from this guy's shop, regardless of age of the buck/time of year we shoot it. I think what we do for care of the carcass, combined with his clean shop and skill as a Swiss butcher, is a winning combination.

I've seen some of the meat guys bring to butchers that looks like they humped it in the dirt. Then they whimper that it doesn't taste good. One word: Duh!

frenchbar
02-15-2011, 06:45 PM
I've seen some of the meat guys bring to butchers that looks like they humped it in the dirt.
:lol::lol::lol:

Fisher-Dude
02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
i appologise i did not mean it to be directed at you but in the third person. The mulies are not as bad as some have tried to convey they are.
I just dont think it is appropriate to have hunters and guides saying how bad they taste when the only real reason we are still allowed to hunt is that most non hunters think we are doing it for the meat. not fit to eat, not fit to hunt will be the antis next approach. thats why bear hunting is an easy target, lower percentage of the hunters eating the meat.

Urbanhermie, of course there are "certain" people who want to discourage hunters from going afield and hunting deer in the late season by saying they taste like shit. Those "certain" people are selling "quality hunts" with no crowding or competition to their customers.

Like you, I'm not pointing to anyone in particular, I'm just sayin'. :wink:

pnbrock
02-15-2011, 06:49 PM
deer meat is gross all year,unless ground up mixed with tasty animal and spices then pumped in tubes.

dana
02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Didn't bother reading the bulk of this thread as I know Horshur is just trying to stir things up. But I can tell ya, my wife, who Horshur knows personally, is the one who cooks and prepares the meals for my family. With a freezer quite full and the choice of deer meat between a whitetail doe, a muley doe, my Nov Freak and Matt's monster Nov typical which we called Booner Buck on the freezer paper, she chooses Booner Buck every time. By far her favorite. Horshur, If you don't believe me, ask her for yourself.

Ronforca
02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
We cut and debone all of our own meat.I have had too much bad tasting meat from the pro.meat cutters.When we do our own meat we have lots of time to do it right.That includes deboning it all.We add nothing to our Mince as it seem to taste better pure.Zero fat in any of our meat is the answer for us.

Jelvis
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
When field dressing a deer try not to cut the intestines or urine sack, it will ooze onto the meat and can smell terrible when cooked, like peeing on a hot register in school smell lol. Remember.
JP

Whisky Creek
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
And there is the FisherDude Anti-G/O conspiracy theory comment of the day for us all.............

Urbanhermit,

I understand where you are coming from on that. It is a concern. My comment was just intended to say my family's palate prefers moose or almost any other wild critter to mule deer. Rut or not, but especially rut..
To me it seems to have a taste like mutton and I am not a fan of that either.

Gatehouse,

In your first picture, what are those tenderloin medallions sitting on top of? I can only see the corners but it looks like some cheese or something under the sauce? Nice looking meals anyhow.

CLINT

Gateholio
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
No, not cheese, the "solids" in the sauce are carrot and onion.

urbanhermit
02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
the cookbooks and bullets in the background add culture too.

paw325
02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the meat from a deer in the rut sucks. SOmehow I manage to choke it down though....

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/8425_152661025515_526315515_3984961_4433301_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v649/111/96/526315515/n526315515_2427430_3521.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2171/111/96/526315515/n526315515_2539419_3046.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/11047_208234390515_526315515_4553551_866900_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/26020_409447395515_526315515_5597469_3684289_n.jpg

Damn Gatehouse, not sure I'm going to make it until supper....... looking good

For all you rut buck eaters and conspiracy theorists, some guys like the taste of brussel sprouts, goose liver patte and blue cheese, some guys don't.

Caribou_lou
02-15-2011, 07:25 PM
I'll eat a rutted up deer any day! It's all in how the meat is handle as to whether the meat will taste like rut. And if I am shooting it, the meat will be used.

Get those glands cut off and all the piss out of the bladder without letting it in to the cavity and all is fine!

But I do believe that, Deer meat, whether it is shot September 1st or November 30th, is an acquired taste. Some love it, some don't.

ratherbefishin
02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
we shot two 4 pt mulies in the peak of the rut-you could SMELL them before you saw them!But it was freezing at the time, we gutted them imediately and hung them for 10 days ,and there wasn't a hint of strong flavor on them-some of the best venison I've ever had.The WORST deer I ever had was a nice fat fork taken on opening day, it was warm and I didn't manage to get it gutted for a couple of hour[I was a pretty new hunter back then,and didn't understand the importance of getting them gutted immediately],and while it was edible it just wasn't choice like it should have been

Spy
02-15-2011, 07:56 PM

If you Don't like hunting in the rut<its easy don't Hunt during the rut! But to put restrictions on everyone else just because you feel it aint right or good table fair!:confused:
If you want to stop all the infighting! Then lets turn the tables & put Guides & their clients on LEH & give resident hunters their FAIR share of the quota & no season restrictions!:grin:
Lets stop beating around the Bush here & call A Buck A Buck!:-D

finngun
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
i never had bad deer meat...but my buddy shot caribu during the rut..and that meat nobody was able to eat.

OutWest
02-15-2011, 09:14 PM
In my opinion the WT is a much better eating deer. I do, however, like Mulie as well. The rut theory is an old wives tale. Shot lots of Mulies in the rut and have even had the piss sack popped open a couple of times. Unless we're quartering it up, the hide is usually left on. For Whitetails especially if we're hanging them at the farm the hide might stay on for 2 or 3 days.

Sitkaspruce
02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
This guy was (and I hope the only) deer that I had to throw away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/deer055.jpg

He was so stinky when I shot him that I could smell him 20 yards away. He was cut up using the no gut method and finished being boned out three hours later (-20 as well). No matter how I delt with him, he was just too damn rank for the household. Even my BIL, who is a meat cutter by trade could not make sausages out of him, it was just too strong.

Hell I put out the meat and set up my camera and even the bears would not eat it for a week, until finally a sow and cub came along and ate it......

This is the ONLY bad tasting animal I have ever had....and that includes Caribou in Mid Sept.

As for cancelling the rut hunt......why???? What will it do????

Cheers

SS

willy442
02-15-2011, 10:22 PM
The real know-it-all has now spoken. ;)

Who on here said that a rutting deer tastes BETTER?

I grew up in the Peace and we ate nothing but game meat. My Pa had a bison ranch up there for a dozen years or so as well....so I've tried 'em all free range and grain-fed. Early season right up to the bitter end of the rut. I'm old enough to have chewed on a lot of mule deer. And I stand by my opinion that they aren't all bad in the rut....my deer from this year, and one from 2007 as a couple of cases-in-point.

BS: Guess if you pee on your chops.

horshur
02-15-2011, 10:26 PM
you guys do know that you can eat it with bones in and all the fat, ribs and all if you shoot it in september. I'm not shitting you.

each to there own.

dana
02-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Who eats bones and fat? That's what the dogs eat.

Gateholio
02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
you guys do know that you can eat it with bones in and all the fat, ribs and all if you shoot it in september. I'm not shitting you.

each to there own.

I'm not sure why that would be attractive. I usually bone out the meat and give the bones to my dogs, and I usually trim off the fat anyway.

02-15-2011, 10:39 PM

I agree, same goes for elk.

horshur
02-15-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure why that would be attractive. I usually bone out the meat and give the bones to my dogs, and I usually trim off the fat anyway.

gate when you cook lamb at your restaurant you cut off the fat?? no bone with the lamb chops?? Really?

You are just being obtuse.

Will
02-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Meat hunter ?...........blah blah blah, I no longer buy into the "It's okay I killed it cause I'm gonna eat it garbage..."....:rolleyes:

That BS has been spewed by Hunters for generations and it certainly has not changed the Public perception of Hunting in the least.

There is not one guy on here that's gonna starve this winter cause they didn't shoot thier bag limit of deer ! Sorry Folks but the "I hunt for food" line is getting old and died off with our Grandfathers !

We NO longer hunt because we NEED to, we hunt because we CHOOSE to.

And if I prefer my venison chops with a big side of Antlers.......well that's how I want em :wink:

Old Crow
02-15-2011, 10:56 PM
I've shot a few in November :D The rounds and backstraps go into the bandsaw for steaks and roasts. The fronts and ribs get deboned for burger and snausages and pepperoni. (mmmmm snausages!)
When I cook steaks and roasts, I second-trim all silver skin and fat and any little bits of bone meal before marinating or cooking. If there's lots of meat on the animal I usually keep a couple of packs of ribs. These are steamed until the meat almost falls off the bone, then BBQ'd with a nice smoky sauce until brown and crispy. The broth goes into my puppy's kibble.
Never had any worries with November bucks. Like has been said, it's mostly about meat care, especially if you're a long way from the truck, :wink: and it's a lot easier to take good care of your deer with frozen ground and or snow. Sept flies and heat don't make for good meat care.
Having said that, I hunt the shoulders of the rut for the big boys in Region 8, and hunt the rut in region 3. If I strike out, and the freezer's empty (a rare occurrence, fortunately) I'll go to Grand Forks and freeze my juevos off in a tree stand for a nice, tasty whitetail. :D

DV-67
02-15-2011, 11:16 PM
My dad got this buck in November. When we were cleaning him he stunk so bad that I was dry heaving. We loaded him into the back of my Tracker and took him home. Had to drive with the window open and my head out the window once in awhile. I had to clean it out the Tracker and hang two air fresheners in it for a couple of weeks before I could not smell it anymore.

We hung it for 7 days.
We made 3/4 into sausage but we made steaks as well. There is a taste when eating the steaks but it was not bad.

We would shoot him again in a heartbeat. Twice the meat of my September spike.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Dads_Muley_Buck_2009_017_comp.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16491&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=14247)

02-15-2011, 11:18 PM
I've been hunting for 53 years now and I've shot so many mule deer I lost count a long time ago, many were from the rut, many weren't, they've been from all over the place, and from many different varying forage types.

I won't say I've never had a stinky mulie, but not for a long time now. The first few I shot in the early '60s weren't real good but we did eat them. I was cutting them up with a bandsaw in those days which is a big no-no for me today.

Now I debone everything, never use a bandsaw, trim off all fat and dried blood, skin immediatelly, cut up and freeze as soon as possible, avoid hanging to age, there's no need. Most of them were not frozen before butchering.

When field dressing during the rut never let a knife that touches the hair touch the meat. I use two knives, one to split the cavity, and another for inside the cavity. When skinning use a clean knife and be very careful your hands do not contact the meat if possible. Wash or wipe down the carcass after skinning, remove all bloodshot meat ASAP.

blackbart
02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Warning to any cannibals out there - I will taste terrible, pretty much always in the rut and a fair bit of fat.

Besides that I have eaten and enjoyed many rutting mule deer bucks, that should make my own fat extra terrible. Be warned cannibals.

Moose Guide
02-15-2011, 11:46 PM
half the moose, all the elk, most of the whitetails and all the mulies I've shot were in the rut and only 2 of the mulies tasted bad, all the other critters were great!!!

Sooke Hunter
02-15-2011, 11:50 PM

Carl
Agree....regardless of field dressing care etc....my experience is that November mule deer bucks taste gamier than an earlier season deer!

Gateholio
02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
gate when you cook lamb at your restaurant you cut off the fat?? no bone with the lamb chops?? Really?

You are just being obtuse.

Yeah, a good restaurant trims down the fat, especially on lamb. You leave some fat on beef and pork, because it has a good taste and texture, but I've never enjoyed generous amounts of fat on lamb or deer.

This is properly prepared rack of lamb chops. Note that there is very little fat on it. I know that when you buy lamb chops at the grocery store they are full of fat but that is because they charge by the pound.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/20446_319886735515_526315515_5140562_3046807_n.jpg

Some fat on some cuts of lamb is unavoidable and the fat of a young lamb (under a year) isn't too bad at all, but it's also considerably different in flavor and texture to a 3 or more year old bucks fat.

Sure bones are often left attached to chops but it's more work to butcher a deer like that than just debone it, as you need to employ a saw and then scrape the meat.

I've eaten lots of September deer and I don't enjoy the fat then either, so I trim it down.

Nothing obtuse about how I prepare my meat, I doubt you would miss the bones or fat if you were eating the meals I posted earlier. No fat whatsovever on those cuts of deer.

landphil
02-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Warning to any cannibals out there - I will taste terrible, pretty much always in the rut and a fair bit of fat.

Besides that I have eaten and enjoyed many rutting mule deer bucks, that should make my own fat extra terrible. Be warned cannibals.

:lol:Now that's a knee-slapper! thanks for the laugh.

Brambles
02-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Personally mule deer is my favorite deer meat, my wife agree's, the whitetail stays in the freezer longer then the mulie does. Ive never shot a bad tasting mulie, I've had strong tasting elk and whitetail but all the mulies I've taken were great eating.

Walksalot
02-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Once the mule deer get into the rut I quit hunting them. I have seen some tremendous mule deer in the area I hunt but they were rutted up all to hell. My first thought is that I have to try and eat it. In my opinion there is not enough garlic in the world to make a rutting mule deer taste good. I swear I saw a raven plugging it's nose as it fed on the gut pile of a rutting mule deer.:) If an animal is going to give it's all then I am going to utilize all of that animal and if I can't I leave them be.

Whitetail, on the other hand, seem to be better table fare meat when they are in the rut.

ghost
02-16-2011, 08:10 AM
I shot a deer this november,it was swollen and stinky .The meat is as good as any I have shot .

AT&T
02-16-2011, 08:20 AM
I must say I prefer deer shot on opening day up to their ears in Alfalfa. I know mule deer can be very stinky in the rut. Same for whitetail. If done right I never had a problem with the taste.

budismyhorse
02-16-2011, 09:12 AM

How on earth did you come up with the this statement when looking back on this thread?

Not one poster mentioned anything remotely in-line with what you state here.

It is official, you have absolutely nothing to add to this website but venom...........PFO.

Kody94
02-16-2011, 09:27 AM

LOL...that one cracked me up. I am not sure that the combination of self-gratification and eating mule deer striploin would necessarilly make one taste bad to a cannibal though? :confused: LOL

Island Redneck
02-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Meat hunter ?...........blah blah blah, I no longer buy into the "It's okay I killed it cause I'm gonna eat it garbage..."....:rolleyes:

That BS has been spewed by Hunters for generations and it certainly has not changed the Public perception of Hunting in the least.

There is not one guy on here that's gonna starve this winter cause they didn't shoot thier bag limit of deer ! Sorry Folks but the "I hunt for food" line is getting old and died off with our Grandfathers !

And if I prefer my venison chops with a big side of Antlers.......well that's how I want em :wink:

Great honest post Will.

steel_ram
02-16-2011, 09:28 AM
They've got to be really worth taking in the rut antler wise, because eating them can sometimes be a chore.

Everett
02-16-2011, 09:29 AM
How on earth did you come up with the this statement when looking back on this thread?

It is official, you have absolutely nothing to add to this website but venom...........PFO.

Best post of the thread well said.

Kody94
02-16-2011, 09:30 AM

If you haven't noticed, you can agree with Willy and he'll still disagree with you. I've tried to reinforce a point of his a couple of times lately, and somehow his next post is still arguing with me. :confused:

greenhorn
02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Just as a little side question - are your opinions the same for Blacktails?

( I know they're related to mule deer)

I've never had mainland mulie, only island blacktail, and they've all tasted about the same and have all been shot after mid-october.

I did have a bad bear once, but I addressed the problem by cooking the meat in a slow cooker. I'm not sure of the chemistry, but cooking the meat over six hours in a nice gravy made my tough old gamy bear taste better than tender roast beef.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2011, 10:18 AM
If you haven't noticed, you can agree with Willy and he'll still disagree with you. I've tried to reinforce a point of his a couple of times lately, and somehow his next post is still arguing with me. :confused:

Bingo.......:mrgreen::mrgreen:. No one else is allowed to be right.

CanuckShooter
02-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Bingo.......:mrgreen::mrgreen:. No one else is allowed to be right.

Sometimes it's just better to defer to your elders and keep your mouth shut...you'll learn that as you age and gain wisdom....:mrgreen::mrgreen:...guess I'm not old enough yet.:wink:

LukaTisus
02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I've never had a bad-tasting mule or whitetail that was shot in full rut. Got a couple last-day-of-the-season Mulies, necks all puffed up, stunk to high heaven and just skinned them out right there in the field. Tasted absolutely fine.

All my hunting's for meat, hence the fact most of my bucks end up dinkers. I"ll bag a biggie someday!

02-16-2011, 10:56 AM

I may have worded it a tich different :mrgreen:
A little more easy on the ears! But Bottom line is you are right.
The reason i hunt is not souly to put food on the table. and if i was sitting in the forrest ( givin it was legal) in November looking at a Fork standing by a Great big 5x5 Id shoot the 5x5. I am there to shoot the biggest whatever it is. But i do shoot deer for meat too.

horshur
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, a good restaurant trims down the fat, especially on lamb. You leave some fat on beef and pork, because it has a good taste and texture, but I've never enjoyed generous amounts of fat on lamb or deer.

This is properly prepared rack of lamb chops. Note that there is very little fat on it. I know that when you buy lamb chops at the grocery store they are full of fat but that is because they charge by the pound.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/20446_319886735515_526315515_5140562_3046807_n.jpg

Some fat on some cuts of lamb is unavoidable and the fat of a young lamb (under a year) isn't too bad at all, but it's also considerably different in flavor and texture to a 3 or more year old bucks fat.

Sure bones are often left attached to chops but it's more work to butcher a deer like that than just debone it, as you need to employ a saw and then scrape the meat.

I've eaten lots of September deer and I don't enjoy the fat then either, so I trim it down.

Nothing obtuse about how I prepare my meat, I doubt you would miss the bones or fat if you were eating the meals I posted earlier. No fat whatsovever on those cuts of deer.

I think steve still has the last of Mass and trash in his freezer..steves wife always went for it first but steve wanted to savour every minute of this fine piece of prime venison..I might be able to to steal a cut away and for the good cause of the fine tasting rutted out piss smelling mulie venison you can honor ole Mass with you culinary skills.
Steve would be right into that. You and him maybe could do an article for trophy hunter magazine. There would be field shots and kitchen shots maybe Reggis and Kathie would have you on the morning show.Special guest taster Curt Darner.

Gates it is obvious you and many others on here have not shot a bad one yet..when you do then you will know.

Gateholio
02-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I
Gates it is obvious you and many others on here have not shot a bad one yet..when you do then you will know.

It would defy logic to stop hunting the rut just because you "might" get a nasty tasting deer. Even with strong flavored animals you can often do something with them, anyway..

Still not sure what the point of this thread is, though. People should just hunt when they think it's best for them. If they are worried about bad deer meat due to the rut, just hunt September.

tankster
02-16-2011, 11:25 AM
i aint scared to admit i am 100% a trophy hunter. sure i love eating wild game but i dont shoot "meat animals" ive been alot of places hunted alot of things did i consume all that meat from all those animals?? no. all i really care about is being outdoors big horns big antlers and big skulls

Kody94
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
It would defy logic to stop hunting the rut just because you "might" get a nasty tasting deer. Even with strong flavored animals you can often do something with them, anyway..

Exactly, particulary when its also clear that any time you shoot an animal its possible to get a rank one (or one with cysts, flukes, worms, etc). By Horshur's illogic, we should probably just not hunt.

Here's a lighter look at it:

From the "U.S. Venison Council"

Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of venison
and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say venison is tough, with a strong
"wild" taste, others insist venison's flavor is delicate. An independent
food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste
test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for
all.

First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a
half from a road and shot several times. After some of the entrails were
removed, the carcass was dragged back over rocks and logs and through mud
and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and
driven through rain and snow for 100 miles before being hung out in the sun
for a day.

It was then lugged into a garage where it was skinned and rolled around on
the floor for a while. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout
the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For
instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass,
but most of the time they were chased away when they attempted to bite
chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the
basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat left
from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the
grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where
a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it
with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds
of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks
that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half
thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the
flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added, along with
three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two
hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three
intoxicated and blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every member of the
panel thought it was venison. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like
the venison he has eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years.

The results of this scientific test conclusively show that there is no
difference between the taste of beef and venison...

Ogopogo
02-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Just curious if you guys are cutting out the scent glands on the inner hinds knee joint areas of both WD and MD, before you begin field dressing your animal. Also making sure not to use the same knife or cleaning it off before beginning to gut. I was told you only really need to cut these off during the rut, but I do regardless of time of year.

Old Crow
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Just another HBC know it all bunch of rookies thread!

I've had them all, from opening day to full rut and after.
For me, it's all about a quick kill, and keeping the meat cool and clean, then taking care in the butchering process.
I have my last year's rutted out buck that was, and is delicious!
Perhaps some field care and cooking lessons are in order?
Funny how the most opinionated members on this site are the first to criticize others' opinions. :-(
From a guy with a full freezer, and a bunch of friends that have seen the light in game consumption, many of them non-hunters.
Pro-hunters are won over at the table, not in debates.
Peace out! :D

LukaTisus
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Just curious if you guys are cutting out the scent glands on the inner hinds knee joint areas of both WD and MD, before you begin field dressing your animal. Also making sure not to use the same knife or cleaning it off before beginning to gut. I was told you only really need to cut these off during the rut, but I do regardless of time of year.

This, naturally, being the biggest method of reducing the wild taste in your meat. :P It's what I was taught to do, I just wipe my knife clean afterward with water and a clean cloth. Never had an issue!

Half the fellows I talk to that can't stand mule-deer meat, are the types that cart it around town for a few hours after killing it to show all their buddies, leaving the hide intact until whenever they decide to hang it and skin it. No wonder it'd taste nasty..

I HAVE had wild-tasting meat before and I don't like it. None of those have ever been ones I've shot, myself, however.. lol it's just that taste that prompts me to get that hide off asap!

02-16-2011, 12:57 PM

No,
Shoot, Gut and skin. No special treatment. dont cut gut bag and make sure bladder is empty as usual. Same all season.

Dad likes 'em I dont. It (giving you treat your animal well) comes down to your taste buds

houndogger
02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I think steve still has the last of Mass and trash in his freezer..steves wife always went for it first but steve wanted to savour every minute of this fine piece of prime venison..I might be able to to steal a cut away and for the good cause of the fine tasting rutted out piss smelling mulie venison you can honor ole Mass with you culinary skills.
Steve would be right into that. You and him maybe could do an article for trophy hunter magazine. There would be field shots and kitchen shots maybe Reggis and Kathie would have you on the morning show.Special guest taster Curt Darner.

LMAO Andy I wouldn't feed mass in trash to my dogs....I hate rutty deer meat. Can't eat it or cook it in the house! Probably why I don't buy deer tags...their cougar food anyways...they are the real first nations....lol

Whisky Creek
02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Kody:

You lost me at the point in the story where it read "Grade A Choice Holstein steer"..

Like there is such a thing.........:)

Sitkaspruce
02-16-2011, 02:41 PM

Why would you do this??

It is physically impossible for these glands to touch any meat. Leave them alone and you will not have any problems. Cut them off if you want, but leaving them on has no affect on the taste of meat, unless you touch them with your knife or hands and then rub these all over the meat. Even then, the effect would be minimal.

This falls under the same thing as cutting the throat after shooting the animal and tying off the a$$hole while gutting....old wives tails:-D

Cheers

SS

Tenacious Billy
02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
It's funny how some guys try and attribute shitty tasting venison to the way it's handled/butchered/prepared (granted those things can effect the taste)......some guys just don't like it, plain and simple. Really no point in arguing over it. You could have a five-star chef prepare a piece of dog shit and guess what?.....it's still going to be a shitty meal.

bridger
02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
never having eaten dog shit i will take your word for it . lol

ruger#1
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
It's funny how some guys try and attribute shitty tasting venison to the way it's handled/butchered/prepared (granted those things can effect the taste)......some guys just don't like it, plain and simple. Really no point in arguing over it. You could have a five-star chef prepare a piece of dog shit and guess what?.....it's still going to be a shitty meal.Someone has to stop shooting their deer around the shit Fields.:mrgreen:

Tenacious Billy
02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Someone has to stop shooting their deer around the shit Fields.:mrgreen:

Yes, I think that could be the problem.....:wink:

ruger#1
02-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Yes, I think that could be the problem.....:wink:Do people hunt those Fields in Cranbrook? Or are these just stories that I hear.

Tenacious Billy
02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Do people hunt those Fields in Cranbrook? Or are these just stories that I hear.

Not sure as I don't live in that part of the province.

dana
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Horshur wouldn't eat MassNTrash because he had a name! He doesn't like eating animals with names. And using MassNTrash as an example of a deer in rut is a little off too, since I killed him Dec 10th, 3 solid weeks after the rut ended. And nope, no more MnT in the freezer, he got ate a long time ago. Now we are making a great dint on Booner Buck and next on the list is The Freak. The does will be the last to go. Again, horshur probably will never try Booner Buck and the Freak cause he can't stomach something with a name. ;)

dana
02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I have been cutting my own meat for 15 plus years now and I've never left bone in any of my or my family's deer. I trim all fat as well. There have been plenty of deer from the early season in my freezer. Both whitetails and muleys, and does and bucks. I debone them all. And yup, an early season deer does taste great. But to really compare you need to cook up an early season deer and a late season deer at the same time. I've done this and honestly, there is very little difference in taste. Those that think there is, have either had one bad experience that has tainted their thinking or they just aren't honest with themselves by believing old wives' tales.

Gateholio
02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
I don't leave bones in moose or bear, either. And I trim the fat off them too, no matter what time of year they are killed!

I just don't see the attraction to eating the bones and fat

:-D

houndogger
02-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Sure Steve and a big old stinky Tom tastes good too! lol

dana
02-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Actually I quite enjoy lion. Never have had an issue with that either. My wife is an amazing cook. Andy can attest to that. I'm pretty spoiled as I don't do any cooking unless it is just me and the kids out camping. I can say there is quite the difference in taste between my steaks cooked over a fire and my wife's steaks cooked over a fire. The cook is the biggest influence on taste IMO.

Gateholio
02-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Last big game banquet the cougar meat was gobbled up quickly and people who didn't get any were upset...

Everyone that had some wanted more.:-D

Jelvis
02-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Does it taste kinda like chicken?

dana
02-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Does it taste kinda like chicken?

More like Pork. My wife likes to cook it with apples or apple sauce.

ElectricDyck
02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't have any mule deer experience, just blacktails. I had my wife crock pot some rut bt deer chops from the butcher, bone sawed with fat on. I lifted the lid and it smelt like B.O. and urine. We threw it out. We cooked the same chops after cutting the bone and fat out and they were very good. Since then I started doing all my own cutting and have shot some very stinky bts that were excellent.

I always found it humourous that my bro in law named their raised animals and then shot and ate them. Romeo the goat and stinky the pig were tasty.

ElectricDyck
02-16-2011, 08:20 PM
The cougar we've had has been tasty. I've got some in the freezer right now, I just need to wait till the litter box piss smell leaves my memory for it to taste good.

Jelvis
02-16-2011, 08:21 PM
If you were told that the highest dignitary in the land was coming for supper and wanted some mule deer from the local forest would you shoot.
A. Young tender fresh sweet yearling doe or
B. An old rusty musky stinky four point that's been fighting and not eating
Answer ____?
Jel .. Let the truth be told ..

M.Dean
02-16-2011, 08:25 PM
If you were told that the highest dignitary in the land was coming for supper and wanted some mule deer from the local forest would you shoot.
Answer ____?
Jel .. Let the truth be told .. What does the 4 point score?????

dana
02-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Good question Jel. My answer is what ever is in my freezer. My father in law likes to make a comment whenever we are enjoying a big family meal, "I wonder what the rich are eating today?" And the family response is "Nothing as good as this!"

Jelvis
02-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Haha lol .. All righty then

Megan Fox wants to try some western mule deer roasted to perfection and is coming over to try some of your cooking.
Would you shoot a young succulent tasty tender antlerless in early season or
shoot a musky, stinky, lean, scarred up, bruiser buck with broken tines from fighting in late November?
Jel ( Megun Fox ) Think about delicious ..

M.Dean
02-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Answer ____?
Jel .. Let the truth be told .. Also, are we cutting a Tag on this Deer??? And, if your hunting the Rut to get this Monster 4 point thats go's 196 B&C points to feed this Rich, Uppity nose in the Air, cross dressing Dignitary, is he going to want the Rack??? And, where in hell are we going to find this young tender fresh sweet yearling doe in November??? By then, and the Sweet little tender does, are worn out gutter sluts from letting the big bucks bend them over stumps in the Forest and giving them the Big Buck Bone for 2 weeks straight!!! What the hell was the Question again???

Jelvis
02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
The question was, if you want a real nice chunk of meat to cook that you would be proud to serve to the ladies from Global tv at your supper table.
Would you shoot a yearling mule deer early October which has been eating succulent vegetation and drinking high grade mineral water and relaxing by a quiet stream or shoot a rutting mule buck which hasn't eaten in weeks and has been fighting bushes, running all day and night and fighting other bucks until he was all tensed up and tuffer than the sole of your rocky boots, In the third week of November?
Jel .. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out .. HELL-O

todbartell
02-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Id be the only one eating if Megan Fox was over

BromBones
02-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Id be the only one eating if Megan Fox was over

I'd at least be polite enough to offer her some sausage.

Ogopogo
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
well the tender DOE of course

urbanhermit
02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Good question Jel. My answer is what ever is in my freezer. My father in law likes to make a comment whenever we are enjoying a big family meal, "I wonder what the rich are eating today?" And the family response is "Nothing as good as this!"
theres a quote that is right on the mark, from a family that chases big racks but honors anything they shoot by enjoying the meat. I respect these people on many levels.
i don't care how small, scrawny, over the hill, tough, smelly or tender, if you kill something it is up to you to live up to its standards not up to the animal to live up to yours..

Jelvis
02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I kinda think dana got that line from a movie or something, sounds too good lol ..

Everett
02-16-2011, 11:17 PM
theres a quote that is right on the mark, from a family that chases big racks but honors anything they shoot by enjoying the meat. I respect these people on many levels.
i don't care how small, scrawny, over the hill, tough, smelly or tender, if you kill something it is up to you to live up to its standards not up to the animal to live up to yours..

Amen I could find a religion on that post.

BillyBull
02-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Hey Jel.... I would take any of the meat roasts or tenderloins out of the freezer and whip up a nice juicy rouladen dinner and server it to any dignitary -- but honestly I'd rather share these great dinners with friends.

Jelvis
02-17-2011, 12:41 AM
I think your on to something, Billy those thin sliced meat rolled up with stuffing and gravy would be ultimate, real thinly sliced and rolled up with dark thick gravy stuffing. You got me hungry again dang it.
Jel .. I luv them rolled up thin sliced stuffed with gravy mmmm yeah .. my mouths watering right now.

Everett
02-17-2011, 12:42 AM
I have actualy served mule deer roast cold sliced and and Moose sausage home made to people with diplomatic passports. Did a bear roast sandwiches one time as well clients loved all of the above and tipped very well at end of tour as a result. I try to do a wild meat lunch once per tour.

Camp Cook
02-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Out of the dozens of mule deer I have shot in the rut only one was tough so I had it made into smokies...

I feel like I am feeding a troll responding to this OP's question as far as I am concerned this thread is nothing more than an attack on hunters by an anti...

KevinB
02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
I haven't bothered to read all 17 pages (!) of this thread however I will add this... people who convince themselves that November muley meat is bad, should already be self-restricting themselves to earlier or later in the season, no?

I get a chuckle out of all the people who go on and on about how bad the meat is from a rutting mule deer.

I have probably lost count over how many people I've served venison to, early season, late season, rutted, young, old, muley, whitetail, it doesn't matter, universally they can't get enough of it. Especially telling are the vegetarians and picky eaters who I have sent home with a few gift packages, only to have them admit within a short time that they've eaten it all and would gladly take more...

On the topic of shutting down the rut hunt for the reason of appeasing GO's. If there is no conservation reason to restrict hunting during the rut, then there is no reason to restrict the hunt, period. To propose such a regulation change solely to appease the GO industry would be a very wrong track to take, IMHO.

Ronforca
02-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Hey KevinB.Very good post.Works for me.

ruger#1
02-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Id be the only one eating if Megan Fox was overHa Ha. Megan wouldn't like your cooking anyways:mrgreen:

Walking Buffalo
02-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Did you borrow this quote from PETA?

A 100% anti-hunting comment. Talk about spew....

The greatest threat to wildlife and wildlife habitat is the disconnect between people and wild nature.

I NEED to hunt because I NEED to eat wild meat. I NEED to harvest wild fish, mushrooms and plants because I NEED that food too. This is what keeps me connected to wild nature.

The CHOICE to eat commercially grown food is a choice to remove habitat from wild animals and plants. The environmental cost of eating commercial produce is far beyond the purchase price, I'll stick with wild food as my first Choice.

Kody94
02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I NEED to hunt because I NEED to eat wild meat. I NEED to harvest wild fish, mushrooms and plants because I NEED that food too. This is what keeps me connected to wild nature.

I agree Walking Buffalo. I always say it a little differently, but I mean the same thing.

I NEED to hunt because I AM a hunter. Its who I am and who my ancestors were. Period.

Call it a cultural thing. :)

bugler
02-17-2011, 08:16 PM
All that said by the guy holding the massive elk rack in his avatar. Walking Buff was that the first legal elk you encountered on your hunt? Hmm.

I think most people hunt because they like to hunt. We all know that the meat is a wonderful product from successful hunt but I can buy great quality, organic beef from my neighbor for a lot cheaper, and my family prefers that to wild meat.

I agree with the notion that I need to hunt though, keeps me sane!!!

frenchbar
02-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Ha Ha. Megan wouldn't like your cooking anyways:mrgreen:

to small a portions:mrgreen:

Allen50
02-17-2011, 09:20 PM
are not all hunts meat hunts, just woundering,, if you shoot something not in the rut, is it meat or something else,, things that make you go Hummmmmm,,,,

Walking Buffalo
02-17-2011, 09:39 PM
All that said by the guy holding the massive elk rack in his avatar. Walking Buff was that the first legal elk you encountered on your hunt? Hmm.

I think most people hunt because they like to hunt. We all know that the meat is a wonderful product from successful hunt but I can by great quality, organic beef from my neighbor for a lot cheaper, and my family prefers that to wild meat.

I agree with the notion that I need to hunt though, keeps me sane!!!

Why would it matter if I shot the first or 21st legal elk I saw on this hunt?

The pic shows the 21st legal bull that I could have shot on this 4 day hunt. I passed on a similar bull on day 2. Had him at 200 yards for over an hour while filming four bulls fighting. I didn't pull the trigger because I was not ready for the hunt to end, my soul was still needing nourishment from the time outdoors with rutting elk.

Kody94,

I hear ya loud and clear. The need to hunt is cultural and gentic for me. :)

bugler
02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
My point is that you weren't there simply to gather meat. Like most of us you were there for the hunt itself, and I'm totally with you on that!!

Jelvis
02-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Isn't that the guy from Dumb and Dummer? You are the Dummest lol ..
Who cares ok, shoot the freakin elk, then eat it, hang the rack on the shed..
Jel .. LOL

M.Dean
02-17-2011, 10:14 PM

The greatest threat to wildlife and wildlife habitat is the disconnect between people and wild nature.

The CHOICE to eat commercially grown food is a choice to remove habitat from wild animals and plants. The environmental cost of eating commercial produce is far beyond the purchase price, I'll stick with wild food as my first Choice. I must be reading this wrong, if you NEED to eat wild meat, why are you passing up 21 Elk? Did you take the one with the most healthy meat on it's bones, or the the one with the Nicest Rack? I'm Confused?

Walking Buffalo
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I must be reading this wrong, if you NEED to eat wild meat, why are you passing up 21 Elk? Did you take the one with the most healthy meat on it's bones, or the the one with the Nicest Rack? I'm Confused?

You are not confused and don't need me to explain it.

We all make our choices based on the circumstances and needs before us. With hunting, most hunters agree that we must respect wildlife. This respect includes killing within appropriate seasons and percentages of the prey population. Hunting during the rut has never been shown to be detrimental to deer populations when combined with measures to control the harvest. If you are willing to eat the deer you kill , there is no reason for concern regarding a Mule deer hunt during the rut.

Jelvis
02-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Hunting is a SPORT as well as a wonderful experience when you take all of the circle of hunting, sport, pleasure, challenge, fresh air in the wilds. Respect for the animal your hunting is all included.
Then preparing the meat for the table as well, all a part of the great fun and memories with friends and relatives.
Trophy hunter or any buck hunters all are in that circle of hunters.
Jel .. As long as you follow the reg's and play the game within the rules you will never have a feeling like when your hunting and appreciated the wild country on Crown Lands that we all can walk freely with our rifles and shootgunz.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition .. We're goin in folks .. Into the BC Wild Country .. WHOA!

Will
02-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Spew.......? 100% anti hunting ? Yup that's me :rolleyes:

I'll try and explain my position abit slower for you.......

You seem to be convinced your "Need" to hunt argument justifies it to people that may feel otherwise ? Sorry but it does not. Eating something is certainly not the ONLY criteria to engage in hunting for it, that was my point, get that now ?

The CHOICE to eat commercially grown food is a choice to remove habitat from wild animals and plants. The environmental cost of eating commercial produce is far beyond the purchase price, I'll stick with wild food as my first Choice.
YES just like I said, "WE hunt because we CHOOSE to hunt" the reality though like it or lump it is that NOBODY "needs" to hunt.

....but perhaps my "PETA quotes" so perplexed you that the entire jift of my thread was lost on you, perhaps go back and read it slower :???:

If "Need" had anything to do with Modern Hunting it would have ended a long time ago.
To continue Hunting for ourselves and for the future we need to be abit more sensible in our Pro Hunting arguments then to simply say "We need to hunt"...that was my point, nothing more.

But those who are quick to jump on and or engage in needless and confused attacks on fellow Hunters have more in common with PETA and antihunting then anything I've said, Friend :wink:

Jelvis
02-18-2011, 08:42 PM
We hunt because we do, we look for something, then when we find it we try to kill it.
Then we gut it and drag it back to truck, take home, eat and put the rack in the shed with all the other ones.
Jel POW! Hunting for something .... BANG! It's not over til it's over .. BOOM! ... CRACK! ... THWACK

Jelvis
02-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Some people eat mule deer and some won't, simple as that why try to make a big thing out of it, horsh asks a simple question with a short yes or no answer and yah jump all over the guy? What's with dat?
Jel .. If a tree fell in the forest and there was no one there to hear it, would it still make a noise when it fell, on the forest floor if, like nothing with ears was within hearing distance?
What about a wood chuck, if a wood chuck chucked wood and there was no one there to see him or hear him or her chucking the said wood, then no one would care how much wood a wood chuck could chuck.
.. crazy eh?

Will
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Some people eat mule deer and some won't, simple as that why try to make a big thing out of it, horsh asks a simple question with a short yes or no answer and yah jump all over the guy? What's with dat?

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/beatingdeadhorse[1].gif