PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please. River fishing in the north

JayDavid
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Hello. I am new to the website and so far very impressed. Bought a jetboat last fall and want to do some river fishing for Salmon. I was thinking around Smithers area. Would like to go somewhere that is not over populated with people fishing. Any advice on when, where and any tips would be appreciated. I`m new to river fishing. Thanks in advance.

Riverratz
02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
With a jet-boat, head to Terrace area, June thru Sept/Oct. - depends on which species you're targeting.
It gets busy, but with a boat you won't have any trouble with crowding, except in the especially popular spots on the river(s).
Various fishing methods used for Spring's/Sockeye/Coho/Pink/Chum. Great fishing in general, but it has it ups and downs almost daily according to weather and river conditions.
The particular species you want will govern what is the best time to head there. If you want them all be prepared to spend the entire summer there.

Caribou_lou
02-14-2011, 09:41 PM
July 1st between Hazelton and the ocean will be great fishing. As long as the river is fishable. It is when the majority of all the runs move upriver. There will be large fish and you can do well in populated areas... Provided the commercial boats aren't hammering the fish through the week days.

You already have a boat so you have the option to get away from the crowds. PM me closer to the time you plan on going and I will be more than happy to help you out.

JayDavid
02-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the advice guys

sawmill
02-16-2011, 08:34 AM
I lived in Hazelton,try the mouth of the Kiwanga on the Skeena.There be MONSTERS there in July,springs up to 80+ lbs.I have lost a bunch of beasts because I ran out of sand bar and was up to my manboobs in the river,drag cranked right down and could not stop them.A boat would have been nice.You can launch there too.

Hook or Bullet
02-19-2011, 11:53 AM
There is also a boat launch at rainbow ranch - Suskwa River/Bulkley river. Nice bar just upstream of there for chinook mid July.