PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Sightings in the West Kootenays

gwillim
02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
No not Fisher (Dude)...the bigger than a marten, smaller than a wolverine variety. I was interested to read that the Fisher is supposed to be locally extirpated (extinct) in the West Kootenay. I am 99% sure I saw one in the early 90's up Poplar Creek (off the Lardeau river). Other friends have mentioned seeing them, usually in quiet, remote areas. Anyone else think they may have seen one?

ARC
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I've never seen one in the West Kootenays, however I did see one at the top end of the Teepee Creek road in the East Kootenays. This was about 10-15 years ago and I believe it had a collar on it.

Chuck
02-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Scads of marten, but if indeed a fisher, I think you were very fortunate. Besides my dad who trapped this area since the 1930s, and other trappers I've got to know who trapped different areas and elevations, no one has ever mentioned getting a fisher - ever. Even wolverines are more common.

luckynuts
02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
I know someone that accidentally caught one up here in FSJ. He was pretty bummed out it was a female. They sure could use a pile of them in Mcbride:tongue: bloody porky's running around everywhere.

W.

mcrae
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Nope but I saw plenty of Ermine last year and a couple pine martens. Believe it or not I had never seen a porcupine in the bush until last year.... Of course since seeing that porky I have seen them quite a few times since. Go figure...

Fisher-Dude
02-16-2011, 06:05 PM
No not Fisher (Dude)...the bigger than a marten, smaller than a wolverine variety. I was interested to read that the Fisher is supposed to be locally extirpated (extinct) in the West Kootenay. I am 99% sure I saw one in the early 90's up Poplar Creek (off the Lardeau river). Other friends have mentioned seeing them, usually in quiet, remote areas. Anyone else think they may have seen one?

I tend to avoid the WK - too many banjoes playin', and the chicks haven't shaved their legs or had a bath for years! :shock:

J_T
02-16-2011, 06:16 PM
I tend to avoid the WK - too many banjoes playin', and the chicks haven't shaved their legs or had a bath for years! :shock:
Heading to Shambala again this year?

I've seen two Fishers in the WK. One on the road to the Whitewater ski hill.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-16-2011, 06:20 PM
I see one on Mount 7 in golden , few years back in the summer . im a 100 percent sure .. good size one . the only one i have ever seen around here ..

Fisher-Dude
02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Heading to Shambala again this year?

You said you liked the ones with big hair, so I guess you get the redhead. Save me a parking spot. :wink:

http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com/community/uploads/1297657887/med_gallery_11847_205_476513.jpg

J_T
02-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Sham is a family tradition. I've got pics that look substantially different. A lot less clothing and well shaved...... But what happens at Sham stays at Sham.

Sorry for the hi jack.

gwillim
02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks everybody. I had heard from some logger friends working just south of Nelson that they had seen something that sounded a lot like a Fisher (REALLY big marten). The tracks looked like they could have been a fisher, too big for a marten, way too small for a wolverine. I've got a wildlife camera up there trying for some definitive pictures.

Moose Guide
02-17-2011, 06:58 PM
I saw one between Howser and Marblehead about 2 years ago.

gwillim
02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I saw one between Howser and Marblehead about 2 years ago.

Very cool! Was it on the Lardeau mainline, or off on a side-road? The Lardeau is a great valley for wildlife viewing. If I wasn't so lazy about driving, I would be up there all the time. The same day I saw the Fisher at the back end of Poplar creek, I also saw a caribou cow and calf, as well as three grizzlies (the perks of doing heli-access forestry work).

Chuck
02-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Very cool! Was it on the Lardeau mainline, or off on a side-road? The Lardeau is a great valley for wildlife viewing. If I wasn't so lazy about driving, I would be up there all the time. The same day I saw the Fisher at the back end of Poplar creek, I also saw a caribou cow and calf, as well as three grizzlies (the perks of doing heli-access forestry work).

I fell in love with the Lardeau/Duncan area after one visit in the mid 1950's.
But all the development, due to the dam and influx of the draft dodgers, has really spoiled the mysterious and very interesting atmosphere of the place.

There is a fairly good population of marten in the Whitewater/Clearwater drainages, but I've yet to find any fisher sign.