PDA

View Full Version : spring bear

bchunter181
02-14-2011, 06:31 PM
so me and my hunting partner have decided that we are going to do the spring bear hunt this season and i was just wondering if you guys could give me any pointers or hints that would be helpfull never hunted bear before and neither has my hunting partner.

bsa30-06
02-14-2011, 06:34 PM
south facing slopes provide good early food sources.

swampthing
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Look for green grass. If road hunting was built for any one animal it would be bear. Cover lots of ground. A good bear day should bring you a dozen sighting. Make sure you watch the bear long enough to ensure there are no cubs. And remember that bear hunting is fun until you shoot one. Take your time and have fun.

Matty_ola
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Look for green grass. If road hunting was built for any one animal it would be bear. Cover lots of ground. A good bear day should bring you a dozen sighting. Make sure you watch the bear long enough to ensure there are no cubs. And remember that bear hunting is fun until you shoot one. Take your time and have fun.

Don't shoot the first one you see. I always let the first one walk. Like swampthing said you'll see at least 3-5 bears on any decent day of hunting.

Try the deactivate roads, often spring bears will look for the easiest routes for food and that includes walking roads and browsing on the fresh grass in the ditches.

Good luck, I find spring bear to be some of the best hunting around, could be because I've been couped up all winter though:???:

BCHunterTV
02-14-2011, 07:53 PM
dont start looking til the last week of April locally where you live

so me and my hunting partner have decided that we are going to do the spring bear hunt this season and i was just wondering if you guys could give me any pointers or hints that would be helpfull never hunted bear before and neither has my hunting partner.

bear buster
02-14-2011, 07:56 PM
wide open piplines, the fluid moving in the piplines keep a certain warmth to them and they green up quicker. check ridges when hiking, bears will feed on the south slopes and go back to there dens on the north slopes if the spring snowstorms come in, I find they den in these areas more frequently, they den on north slopes more cause they hold the snow longer and provide a lot more insulation to keep there dens warm. they tend to keep dens off south slopes due to the spring run off. I really tested this last spring after hearing alot of people talk about this....it paid off.

Kevin So
02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
as mentioned above look for large patches of fresh grass, and their piles of you know what. Bigger the pile, bigger the bear. Make sure of your shot! going after a wounded bear in thick bush would be scary to say the least. good luck!

bchunter181
02-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the help for a shooter bear it just needs to be a bear thAt has no cubs with it that's it other than that you can shoot anything?

huntinnewbie
02-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the help for a shooter bear it just needs to be a bear thAt has no cubs with it that's it other than that you can shoot anything?
You can't just shoot anything!
You cannot, of course shoot at a bear with cubs.
You can't shoot at a bear in the presence of any other bear.
You can't shoot a bear under 2 years of age.
You really need to study them close and for sometime to really determine if there are cubs or not. Especially in heavier bush. Someone here on this site said they watched a bear for almost 20 minutes before the cubs suddenly appeared.
And a last thought if the bear is brown phase make sure it's a black bear as grizzly bears are popping up in unexpected places.
Good luck with your spring hunt.

adamgarbett
02-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Ya I've heard of some g bears sightings in some odd places ie Summerland

bchunter181
02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
yes i agree i need to do some research and studying im asking questions before i go out and would never go out if i wasnt confortable in knowing everything about the animal with that said how can you tell the age of a bear

AT&T
02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
The biggest mistake I see guys making with spring bear hunting where I live in the Koots is heading out to soon. You cant get off the paved roads for snow and they show up in the trucks with the quads etc. Depends where you live and the elevation but I wouldnt head out to early. We have had late springs here the last few years. I would think the end of April or early may here.

BiG Boar
02-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Learn how to judge a small bear
ears, belly, face shape, narrow shoulders, use the search button and learn it. Lots to learn.

Learn your caping cuts, lots of people screw that up.

Know where to shoot it. These things dont enjoy neck shots

02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Only shoot them uphill from your truck. This is the most important thing. Other than the legalities of the whole thing!

Throw a bunch of rope and a block in your truck as well as a Chainsaw if you have one.

CanuckShooter
02-15-2011, 10:23 AM
yes i agree i need to do some research and studying im asking questions before i go out and would never go out if i wasnt confortable in knowing everything about the animal with that said how can you tell the age of a bear

don't stop at one bear, shoot two. if you shoot one and you think it's too young just turn yourself in.....

Texan-Canuck30-06
02-15-2011, 05:23 PM
As a newbie to bear hunting also, I have a few questions.
How much weight do bears usually loose during hibernation?
--- can this affect the way the bears age is judged?
------ is it then better to harvest once the bears have had a chance to regain their weight?
any info helps.

bchunter181
02-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the help

srupp
02-17-2011, 11:08 AM
some good advice.. for a bit bigger bears look for some 'quiet" undisturbed areas..ie dont hit just the logging rds find spur rds OFF the logging rds and go to the back ends of them...bigger bears dont like to be disturbed when eating after 5 months of sleeping...bears also need LOTS of water in the spring.....
old cut blocks , south facing slopes allow the spring sun to melt them first and green up first....gain some elevation and look DOWN on a large chunk of ground..and spend LOTS of time glassing

steven

adamgarbett
02-17-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm excited to try sitting RELAXING and glassing this spring. Hope its for grizz and blacks:-D

silvicon
02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Interesting that a 'hunter' has to ask for pointers when it comes to it!
Maybe golf would be better?

watson721
02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
interesting that a stuck up a-hole feels the need to post useless comments on a thread of someone looking for advice. honestly man just dont post if your just going to say stupid ignorant things

nano
02-17-2011, 07:30 PM

WTF He is just asking for pointers! No need to say shit like that here!

fuzzy
02-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Damn, these were all questions i had to, maybe i should grab a set of golf clubs:???: wanker!

fuzzy

Kid Hunter
02-17-2011, 09:10 PM

And I bet you've NEVER asked a single question about hunting in your entire life, right? if you don't need any help and don't want to give any to others I don't see why you're on this site. It's people like you that make sites like this pointless.

Ride Red
02-17-2011, 09:25 PM

Wow, good attitude !!!

You we're a young hunter at one time too or probably still are. Our young hunters need all the help we can give them especially if they didn't come from a hunting family. We on this site should be helping the newb's with any questions they have, not making belittling comments.

It always takes one insecure clown to ruin it for the poster. Keep asking questions guys, most of us will help without hassles.

Ride Red
02-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Google bear test and you'll find out lots more information. Here's one example:

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/default.html

02-18-2011, 10:18 AM

I guess you didnt listen to your mom when she said " If you dont got nothin' good to say then shut up" Eh?

Do you think that this isnt a place to learn?

BigfishCanada
02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
This year I didnt get any sausage on my deer, I only got the one deer and didnt want to waist any of the meat. SO that being said this spring my bro and I are off to get a bear each, I think I will try that sausage maker in the RIdge to make:

Peperoni, Kolbasa, Salami, maybe some Brat, and maybe some jerkey?

Any suggestions on what meats to get and what not too?

http://www.horizonmeats.ca/images/pepper.jpg

warnniklz
02-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Leave Silvicon alone. He was born with all the knowledge all of us hunters set out to find.

This was a rhetorical question

I am looking for .410 slug ammo with 11/16 or 3/4 ounce weight.
any hints?

and rifles have nothing to do with hunting so he asked this

Hi all,
I consider switching to a Ruger Frontier (stainless in) .338 Federal.
Anyone of you have experience with this rifle/caliber?
Do they still make it?
thx

bchunter181 good on ya for asking questions.

Ferenc
02-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe golf would be better? Well I guess the guide outfitters had to wipe your a$$ too Ha Ha!!! once a hunter.......

Ride Red
02-18-2011, 07:06 PM
A little info on Trichinosis. Read to the bottom of the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

franKENloader
02-18-2011, 08:05 PM
the identity test was cool . a good idea for licensing . i passed with 2 wrong , obviously not as smart as i am good looking !

Will
02-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Certainly lots of Great advice already.

Bring a camera and have a Blast ! Spring Bear Hunting in BC is certainly one of the best times you can have while Hunting. :cool:

bchunter181
02-18-2011, 09:11 PM
thanks for all the help to poeple that wanna help as to that other a-hole i think you guys grilled him enoughn already thanks

Surrey Boy
02-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I only advise that you buy two tags right off the mark. There's nothing preventing you from bagging two in the same day, plus you can compare between two bears, one to learn on, and one to do a premium job of. Even if you scored two on the first day of your hunt, you can still go out and look for small game the rest of the time.

warnniklz
02-19-2011, 09:33 AM
oh yeah... I always do my spring bear hunting hung over as ef...

sobirch
02-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Kill zones

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/BlackBearShotplacment.jpg

bchunter181
02-19-2011, 09:07 PM
k thanks for the help

groove
02-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Great stuff here guys. I will be our for a spring bear (my first) this year as well. Good luck!

Pyro
02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Good info even for someone that has taken bears already.

SR80
02-27-2011, 06:54 PM
This year I didnt get any sausage on my deer, I only got the one deer and didnt want to waist any of the meat. SO that being said this spring my bro and I are off to get a bear each, I think I will try that sausage maker in the RIdge to make:

Peperoni, Kolbasa, Salami, maybe some Brat, and maybe some jerkey?

Any suggestions on what meats to get and what not too?

http://www.horizonmeats.ca/images/pepper.jpg

I was told by a sausage maker that bear didnt make good jerky. But ive had brats, pepp, and smokies from Gary's deli, they are awesome!

Marlin375
02-28-2011, 12:44 AM
I like doing a little panning while I'm hunting Bears, gold panning and spring Bear hunting go together like peanut butter and jelly. Find some good fresh bear sign in an area, then do some prospecting for an hour or three....keep your head up though.:mrgreen: Can't think of a better way to spend a spring weekend.

Trapper D
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
30 days to go for spring black bear opening, seems along ways away. many of you getting ready to hunt blackies ? the way its looking in the north island area, it might just still be winter in a month, especially in the hills. i imagine the road conditions are going to be poor this spring , due to the above average amounts of snow at the higher elevations. theres going to be a hell of a lot of water coming down this spring.

Trapper D
03-01-2011, 04:38 PM
30 days to go for spring black bear opening, seems along ways away. many of you getting ready to hunt blackies ? the way its looking in the north island area, it might just still be winter in a month, especially in the hills. i imagine the road conditions are going to be poor this spring , due to the above average amounts of snow at the higher elevations. theres going to be a hell of a lot of water coming down this spring.
i might add that, i have seen 2 sets of tracks in the last month. 1 was at brewster lake . the other one was in my grandmothers yard. funny story about this bear and my very old grandma. she plants a garden every year,twice the size as she needs , because , half of the garden is for her,and the other half is for the bear. the family is somewhat concerned about this relationship. with good reason. she has actually struck the bear with a broom in the ass before, when it was on her side of the garden. no bs this is the truth. i was thinking of popping it , but since it will just be replaced by another bear, and this ones in prime condition, and doesnt dig in the garbage. this bear is huge i might add, people of campbell river may have seen it crossing the highway before. i have , and when i saw it , there was a small compact car in front of me , that it crossed in front of , and i could still see its back as it crossed in front of that car. as for gramma , cant tell her anything, she wont listen, 90 years old cares for 3/4 acre s on her own ,push lawn mower, never a leaf on the grass, even know shes surrounded by trees. just plain stubborn. another thing about gramma and the bear, my uncle has come over to her house while she was raking leaves in the front, while in the back yard the bear was grazing like a big old fat cow. gramma says, lol, he knows , where hes aloud. apparently some mutual agreement

BlacktailStalker
03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Thats pretty funny.
I hope she's tougher than the broom handle!
I'd consider intercepting it enroute to her house if it comes from a huntable area... she'd never know.

Trapper D
03-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Thats pretty funny.
I hope she's tougher than the broom handle!
I'd consider intercepting it enroute to her house if it comes from a huntable area... she'd never know.
thats what i was thinking of doing.

dave_fras
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
hey marlin... i just got my first gold pan the other day!.. my grandpa has been doin it for years!.. i just picked up a few old books from him on the subject! i cant way to try it out!..im gonna make it a week trip out in revelstoke this may!

hunter7413
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
come to ft. nelson in the middle of may you can see 30 bears a day just driving the oilpatch roads,pm me if you need more info.can someone pm me and tell me how to start a new thread.thanks

bchunter181
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
k thanks alot guys for the help

Marlin375
03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
hey marlin... i just got my first gold pan the other day!.. my grandpa has been doin it for years!.. i just picked up a few old books from him on the subject! i cant way to try it out!..im gonna make it a week trip out in revelstoke this may!

For $25 a year you can get your "free minors certificate". Go to an access center (service bc) and they will get you signed up. (you need a BCEID) then everything is online.

I have only been doing it for 3 years so i'm a total noob myself. But I have had a little success....not enough to buy a sandwich yet but at $1400 an once I just need to find one big nugget:mrgreen:.

Last spring I did a loop up to 3 Valley Gap and back down past Mabel lake in a weekend, found some flakes and shot a nice 5.5 foot boar...great trip.