PDA

View Full Version : FishPot Lake / 5-13c and surrounding areas

BlacktailStalker
07-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Has anyone hunted this area ? For either moose, mulies or whitetails ?

Wildman
07-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Same area that we got a group draw in and no never hunted it but my buddy is originally from Quesnel and he is very excited and optimistic about that area (Moose and Mulies). Where were you thinking of staying? We are planning on staying right at the resort.

farside
07-07-2006, 07:35 AM
We had a draw there 4 yrs ago and actually stayed at Fish Pot. Previous owners were very nice people and I am sure the new ones are too. Saw tons of deer in the clear cuts near the resort (early in the AM). One of the guys staying there at the time had no moose draw but was there for the deer. Shot a VERY NICE 6x6 muley, and his brother shot a 4x4 hybrid. The brothers go there every year draw or no draw as the deer are worth the trip.

The word from the previous owners of Fish Pot is the the early season is the best and moose are just about everywhere. We had the late Oct draw and didn't arrive until Oct 20th. Unfortunatley, we did not fill our tag and its not something I even like to talk about. The fact that my husband still loves me is a testament to his inner strength. We covered alot of ground and saw very many cow/calf but no bulls. The weather was warm for late season (t-shirts) and that sure didn't help. On out LAST DAY, we woke up to a frost and that was the only day I saw a bull (again - we won't talk about it)

We have the Oct 16-31 draw but we are going to be there by the 11th to pre scout and maybe take a deer or 2. Now if the fire situation would only get under control. I think a call to the local CO prior to the trip would be wise.

3kills
07-07-2006, 10:09 AM
hunted there a few times...took my first deer there....just cover as much area as ucan u should see some thing....lots and lots of big clearcuts up there....

BlacktailStalker
07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Sounding good to me.
We are going Sept 22-30 and are staying at the cabins on the lake. Was kinda hesitant about the whole cabin thing as when I hunt I prefer to be in the "bush" away from everyone and everything. I like the rustic aspect of hunting but we'll see how it goes ! Fishing in the afternoon sounds like a bonus so I'll be bringing my pontoon boat and fly rod with me. We have 3 bull tags for the 6 of us and we'll all be looking for a nice mulie or whitie. A couple of us might make a trip to a nearby immature opening too if we nail our deer quickly.

bcboy
07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Been there.What time you going.. I had a good moose hunt.. lots of camp spots and ??

elkster
07-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Sounding good to me.
We are going Sept 22-30 and are staying at the cabins on the lake. Was kinda hesitant about the whole cabin thing as when I hunt I prefer to be in the "bush" away from everyone and everything. I like the rustic aspect of hunting but we'll see how it goes ! Fishing in the afternoon sounds like a bonus so I'll be bringing my pontoon boat and fly rod with me. We have 3 bull tags for the 6 of us and we'll all be looking for a nice mulie or whitie. A couple of us might make a trip to a nearby immature opening too if we nail our deer quickly.
I've hunted in there a couple of times. Your draw time is a good one, as the later dates tend to be shot out, lots of mulies. The cabins are all right, I hope the out houses smell better than the last time we were there. It had frozen and then thawed. They were so bad, we either waited til we got in the bush, or if you couldn't wait, I put my ear plugs up my nose and leave the door open. The lakes around the area are good fishing.

mrdoog
07-07-2006, 09:03 PM
My brother, Dad and I stayed at the Resort.
Unless things have changed up there in the last 6 years, you will have the feeling of being in the middle of no-where, once the lights go out.
Very nice people at the resort, very accomodating to hunters. IE, they would let you bring game right into the resort, if I rememeber they had some some screened hanging places.
Bring your boat for sure.
We were up there later in the season, saw 2 bucks running down the road to the resort on the way in, nothing after that.
We saw several Cows taken, we weren't drawn that year, so we were looking for Bulls.
One of the locals shot a big Cow on the road, he was an elderly gent, he had her hooked to his trailer ball and was dragging her down the road, fortunately there was snow on the road. We stopped him and loaded her into the back of his truck for him.
It was good hunt despite getting skunked.
When we were there, there were some places where they were logging 24 hrs a day, using those machines that cut, delimb and stack. We could see the lights on the west side of the lake.
It is a very interesting part of the Province.

BlacktailStalker
07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
bcboy;
We are going sept.22-30. How did you make out ?

bcboy
07-08-2006, 08:51 PM
bcboy;
We are going sept.22-30. How did you make out ?

We had a later draw.. nov 1..

1/ best FSR I have ever seen, man are they smooth

2/ great fs campsite at the lk. near nazgo

3/ we hunted from camp and found everyone was road hunting, I went up one slash and spotted , had a moose in one day.

Cant remember the rd. but . from fispot heading east we took the road that veirs left went 33 km and from there we found a outfitter or guides cache of hay for his horses..pretty sure by then we wwere in the right area.

end of sept...probably calling will be the tickect...set up in fairly open area and make sure you have the wind!!! old bullwinckle is gonna come right to ya.

tip is shoot uphill from road and not too far:mrgreen:

oldtimer
07-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Blacktail .... A lot will depend on how the moose did in the fires up here and how the habitat was damaged. What was good last year might be all black now. You might want to check with the resort and find out how things are. Mike

BlacktailStalker
07-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks oldtimer, I will definitely give them a call regarding that. I know nothing about the wildfires up there or where they even are.