PDA

View Full Version : Taseko Lake - Goats/Mulies

Seth
07-06-2006, 08:56 PM
I've been there once before but it was in early September. Now my dad was drawn for goats in that region and we're decideing if that is what we want to do. Any of you guys or gals hunt that area and if so what time seems to be good for mulies as well, seeing as how I'm going to be needing to hunt something. He was drawn for 5-04 J. It's on the east side of the lakes. Anything would be appreciated.

GoatGuy
07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
PM sent ......

dana
07-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Hunted Chilco the first week of the season last year. Have to say it really kicked my butt!!!! It is some severe country. The trail system has not been upkept. It is like a blowdown jungle in there. Tried to backpack into a side drainage that I knows holds some monster muleys. I never made it in to the place I wanted to hunt. You would think 12 kms ain't that far, but when you are crawlin' up and down and under and around blowdown with a heavy pack on, it really slows ya down.
We had set up a wall tent base camp on the lake where my mom and dad planned to fish and holiday more than hunt. The day I let the bush win and headed back to base camp a huge storm came up on the lake and swamped our boat. We sat in camp for 2 1/2 days waiting for the weather to calm down so we could get back to the main campsite.
So my advice, stay away from the lake. The J subunit keeps you up the Taseko side. Stay on that side. The Taseko road can be crazy. You might want to make a pre-trip this summer to check it out. I did see a lot of goats on the Chilco side, but they weren't anywhere I could access them. There are some big mulies in that country, but they too require some summer scouting. There is a lot of alpine that looks nice from the bottom but once you make the climb up, you may find it's not what you were dreamin' about. I got cliffed out with no way around on the one mountain I did make it up.
Best of luck to ya. It is AWESOME COUNTRY no doubt. But be prepared for a HARD HUNT.

boatdoc
07-13-2006, 06:47 PM
the road to taseko is very brutal,wash outs ,river crossings.make sure you have a good 4x4 in excellent shape that can take a few scratches.be ready to do some tough hiking,you will work hard for your game. it is beautiful country.good luck on your hunt.