PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland Predator Hunting

BCsniper
02-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I am looking for some assistance in hunting predators in the lower mainland. This past weekend I went out towards Chilliwack Lake and did a 5 sets. I had used a double bull 360 ground blind, rigor rabbit decoy and used a rabbit mouth call. I am hunting with a bow and crossbow. I love the challenge of archery, but I am looking for the opportunities to shoot.

In the afternoon we walked the road near Foley Lake and only saw one fresh coyote track. We did 4 sets over about 5 miles. Didn't see anything.

Looking for some suggestions:

Anyone know of where higher densities of predators are?

Anyone interested in helping me out? I have limited experience and would love to hunt with someone who has had success.

How are you guys hunting the denser brush?

Would you start baiting a spot and sit over the bait?

Thanks proguide66 for some of the suggestions so far.

I would love to get some advice from guys who are calling, coyotes, cougars, bobcats, wolves and lynx.

So far my posts have received an amazing amount of helpful tips and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

BiG Boar
02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
I would head out a couple hours furthur towards merritt. Its not that much of a drive, and should be more consistent. Heading up there next week for a few days of yotes.

wolverine
02-14-2011, 02:57 PM
If you want to snipe coyotes with a bow go to Yarrow and talk to some of the farmers and hobby farmers that live there. It's a no shooting area (other than some of the larger farms on Sumas Prairie) but you can take them with a bow. Lot's of them out there. Friend of mine is always complaining about them on their horse ranch that's there. I'd just rather smoke 'em with my .22-250 rather than my bow so I don't bother. Have at 'er.

hillclimber
02-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Just curious is Foley lake was frozen over?

BCsniper
02-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Foley had a 25 ft sheet of ice along the south shore. The roads were blocked going east of Foley, land slides had dropped some large rocks and debris on the road. Roads were snow covered and with the rain created ice sheets. You probably could get around with a quad.

todbartell
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
I had used a double bull 360 ground blind, rigor rabbit decoy and used a rabbit mouth call.

how far from the truck did you set up the blind? They weigh about 25 lbs and I know I wouldn't pack one too far

some basic camo mesh or burlap material may give you all the cover you need, and be much more portable. If using a rifle I wouldn't worry about camo blinds, I'd just sit in front of something to break up your outline and sit somewhere where your camo clothing blends in half decent

BCsniper
02-14-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a backpack that holds the blind and chairs, in total it weighs about 35 lbs, but doesn't feel very heavy. Easy walking with it on. The morning sets were 400-700 yards from the truck. The afternoon ones were anywheres from 400 yards to 4 miles. The truck is white so I took the time to walk well away from it.

gutpile
02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Try the islands on the Fraser there are lots of yotes on those islands.

Pyro
02-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Like Herrling Island, etc?

tim3500
02-15-2011, 04:11 PM
SHHHhhhhhhhh...