PDA

View Full Version : Is my tent up to snuff for sheep hunting?

kebes
02-13-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm finally starting to seriously look at a sheep hunting trip (hopefully in 2012) and as I'm gathering gear (just bought the exped 7 downmat :)) I'm trying to make sure what I already have is up to snuff. I currently have the north face vario 2 man tent. I've used it a bit on overnight stuff but want to hear the opinion of some seasoned sheep hunters on if this tent will do the trick....would it be better to get a tent with a separate fly or just go with a sil tarp as a fly? All questions I have. Anyways, here's the link

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10525&storeId=208&catalogId=10251&langId=-12&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=17064&variationId=1W3

Thanks!

bigwhiteys
02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Your tent will do just fine... The Siltarp2 can definitely work as a fly or drape over your tent in a pinch, but that will severely hamper your tent's breathability trapping the condensation inside. Siltarps weren't designed to breath at all.

Carl

BlacktailStalker
02-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Looks good, have fun !

MountainHigh
02-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Your tent is good. If you are in doubt then don't pitch it any place that is exposed. (if you can).

BCrams
02-14-2011, 12:06 AM
It boils down to personal preference.

I prefer tents with a separate fly for the reason I don't like the condensation build up typial of single wall tents on the inside.

Even the review on the link showed the fellow admitting, due to the shortness of the tent, his head was soaked just from touching the edge .... whereas with a tent with a fly would have voided this problem. A level of condensation will still be there, but on the tent fly rather than the walls of the tent.

That said - yes the tent will handle anything dished out on a sheep hunt.

Devilbear
02-14-2011, 07:42 AM
If, this is for you alone to sleep in and wait out severe alpine storms for a couple of days in, it is wider than need be and not really long enough. It can work as an entry-level tent for mountain hunting, but, I would be very cautious as to where I erected it and would always try to set up in timber when using this tent...or, any three season tent for alpine, autumn conditions.

You can find better options in mountain tents, but, these also cost more and starting with this one will at least get you out and hunting and you can go from there.

For one person on multiday alpine hunts, at a weight just several ounces greater than your tent, I like the Hilleberg Soulo as it erects from outside and the fly-inner are joined and set up together.....very nice in driving rain. The "downside" to Hille. tents is they are NOT inexpensive.......

Deaddog
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
tent will work just fine.. take a sil tarp in case you get pounded by weather, otherwise have fun!!

paw325
02-14-2011, 12:00 PM
For days like this... perfect, no problem
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/Kilgour044.jpg

For spending 26 hours in these conditions.... not so good
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/Kilgoursnow.jpg

BCrams
02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
For spending 26 hours in these conditions.... not so good
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/Kilgoursnow.jpg

Have had weather like that in August and in particular September / October for periods of time.

What was the reason for not so good?

paw325
02-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Have had weather like that in August and in particular September / October for periods of time.

What was the reason for not so good?

Fly not integral to the tent in 50 - 60 mph wind and not having the ability to pull your inside out and pack seperately from the exterior.

Just reread the OP's initial post and he already has the North Face in hand. I say go hunting........

BCrams
02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Just reread the OP's initial post and he already has the North Face in hand. I say go hunting........

Chilly wind too eh :-D

Yep ... just go hunting. He has what will get the job done as do most tents / brands on the market these days.

paw325
02-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Chilly wind too eh :-D

Yep ... just go hunting. He has what will get the job done as do most tents / brands on the market these days.

Damn chilly, that snow was about a foot deep when we were finally able to move. Do you recognise your old buddy standing there with the wind blowing his hood laces straight forward?

MountainHigh
02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Had 6 inches of snow and crazy cold wind latter in July at elevation in Stone Sheep country.

kebes
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah.....my dad and grandpa used to go up nevis creek for sheep 20+ years ago and said they got rained on for a couple days straight but they had a wall tent (horses sure sound wonderful) but there were a couple of guys with a smaller tent and they were heading back as soon as the weather broke.....they always bug me about the gear I'm collecting, I say, "shouldn't have sold the horses" :D

troutseeker
02-14-2011, 06:04 PM
As others have said, your tent will be fine. Just get out there and have some fun!

Sure the high quality/low weight/expensive tents are great, but they are not a necessity to go hunt and have some fun!

wiggy
02-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Alls i use are tarps. 412ft tarps weigh less then a tent and i can make a house out of it if i need to. Normally i only carry 2 10x12s and it does the job. If its totally shitty out your not stuck in a little area. I use parachute cord and use my trek poles. Can tie off to rocks trees bush. Havent used a tent in over 20 years except in guide camps which are wall tents and lots of those are just a few tarps set up the same as the canvasas

BlacktailStalker
02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Alls i use are tarps. 412ft tarps weigh less then a tent and i can make a house out of it if i need to. Normally i only carry 2 10x12s and it does the job. If its totally shitty out your not stuck in a little area. I use parachute cord and use my trek poles. Can tie off to rocks trees bush. Havent used a tent in over 20 years except in guide camps which are wall tents and lots of those are just a few tarps set up the same as the canvasas

Do you have any pics of your set ups over the years ? Above tree line ?

wiggy
02-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Do you have any pics of your set ups over the years ? Above tree line ?
Ill post you some pics this year; never ever thought of it and never knew these forums existed; one thing ive noticed in pics on here is i would never ever set up camp where alot of the pics i see are

kebes
02-14-2011, 08:40 PM
definitely would be interested to see some pics as well

Shade Tree
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Sometimes it's not always about the perfect camp spot. Sure, I would love to be down in the valley, out of the wind, maybe have a little fire, but I want to be where the sheep are at; or where I can glass while porridge and coffee are cooking. The best time is the morning and evening, I don't want to be climbing during these times.