PDA

View Full Version : Siltarp 2 setups

Buck
02-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Just picked one up and wondering what type of cord and attachments you guys use for setup.Any tricks for windy conditions?Pics would be good.

BlacktailStalker
02-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Good thread idea, I bought one too but haven't used it.

scembalf
02-13-2011, 05:31 PM
I just bought one on Friday looking forward to using it this year. If you go to the BC hunting blog they have a writeup on the siltarp 2 with some photos and a little utube blurb looking forward to seeing some pics

bigwhiteys
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
I just bought one on Friday looking forward to using it this year. If you go to the BC hunting blog they have a writeup on the siltarp 2 with some photos and a little utube blurb looking forward to seeing some pics

I did that writeup almost 4 years ago I think. We've used the Siltarp in a variety of ways.

- additional shelter for gear
- emergency shelter
- sunshade
- tent fly (best if suspended off tent with a center line - like in my little video)

The siltarp2 was designed to be used with your hiking poles as supports. Not very wise to let the tarp "rub" or contact anything as it's not bulletproof and you will get holes in it.

For string I am sure whatever you bring will do. We just lightweight tent fly rope, or a lightweight bungee with hooks might be a nice setup too.

Carl

pnbrock
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
repost your video?

BromBones
02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Don't forget sump for rainwater, to top up your water bottles. :)

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2011, 08:53 PM
As BromBones mentioned here's the inverted setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/2010%20Sheep/20100814_1680.jpg

And here's one that was pretty wind resistant.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/2010%20Sheep/20100814_1648.jpg.

Placing rocks on the pegs and other anchor points is important.
We've endured other temporary setups in howling winds and storms and the tarp faired well.
They are very well built.

SSS

leadpillproductions
02-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Looks like a good set up to get out of the wind and rains

Ambush
02-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Google "8X10 tarp pitches" and you'll see tons of video with some very simple and usefull ways to use your tarp.
I have the Siltarp II as well. At less than a pound and smaller than a water bottle, they are a "must carry" for BC's weather mood swings. And if you use trekking poles anyway, your good for above treeline without any extra weight.

TyTy
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
flagging ribbon works great to set up a siltarp quickly. it will hold up against a moderate wind, it streatches. Double it up if you need. i sometimes pack mine in the bush if its rainy and i actually plan to take a break. the ribbon gets it up fast and comes down just as quick.

Elkaholic
02-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Nice setup SSS.... is there certain poles that these are designed to be used with?

Devilbear
02-14-2011, 08:56 AM
The Siltarps are a real benefit for backpackers in any circumstances and I have a Silponcho, Silshelter and a Silwing for various uses. As my alpine base camp tarp, I have a Siltarp III and the extra 6 ounces is worth packing, IMO, given the much greater coverage it offers as compared with the STII. Each to his own, here, but, this tarp with my ID South Col eVent bivy weighs just over 2.5 lbs and offers a very versatile shelter for any conditions I will encounter and it gives a large protected area for me to "live in", at that weight.

I really wish ID would bring out a Silwing II in a 12x15 ft. size that should weigh about 24 oz. and that would be an ideal "two-man" rig, using bivies or as an awning for one of their superb mountain tents.

srupp
02-14-2011, 10:14 AM
I have a siltarp and the SILDOME...so far have always reached for the sildome..even on a moose hunt when It was windy and cold I set up the sildome and used my MSR stove..:tongue:..kept me waiting until Tima nd Rollie remembered to bring me lunch and hot coffee:mrgreen:..

Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
02-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Nice setup SSS.... is there certain poles that these are designed to be used with?

Just any old trekking poles, however, adjustable poles are certainly easier to deal with.

SSS

Elkaholic
02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks alot for all of the info SSS. And Devilbear very nice info as well. I just love these kind of threads!!

Robert
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I drape the Siltarp II over my pack at one end or about 2 ft over. The pack has a shelf at the bottom so it stands nicely by it self, then the tarp is draped over. The strings coming off the tarp are then wrapped around rocks. I start with the two ends first (head and feet), then finish off with the sides. I dont tie the string to the rocks because it will knot up quickly, simply wrap 4 or 5 times around a 10lb to 50lb rock depending on the weather. No poles required. I mostly camp on the ridges and as you know it get's a bit windy especially into October. The tarp and pack system has never blown over. The pack is kept dry becasuse it is under the tarp. Then I is use a bivi bag, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag underneath - so no tent. The 8x10ft works the best. I hunt so solo so this is good way to save on some weight and money... just another option boys. I think these tarps are about $160.

cheers

Duk Dog
02-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Good thread idea, I bought one too but haven't used it.

I've debated whether I should have just got the Siltarp1 instead.

kebes
02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Google "8X10 tarp pitches" and you'll see tons of video with some very simple and usefull ways to use your tarp.
I have the Siltarp II as well. At less than a pound and smaller than a water bottle, they are a "must carry" for BC's weather mood swings. And if you use trekking poles anyway, your good for above treeline without any extra weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk

very neat.

leadpillproductions
02-15-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk

very neat.
That looks good but i wonder how that would work in our tough wind

kebes
02-15-2011, 11:09 PM
yeah.....definitely want something heavy on the back end....maybe find a way to tie the trekking pole down too.

digger dogger
02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
this looks good for a 8x10 siltarp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYVMUbo570s

wiggy
02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I drape the Siltarp II over my pack at one end or about 2 ft over. The pack has a shelf at the bottom so it stands nicely by it self, then the tarp is draped over. The strings coming off the tarp are then wrapped around rocks. I start with the two ends first (head and feet), then finish off with the sides. I dont tie the string to the rocks because it will knot up quickly, simply wrap 4 or 5 times around a 10lb to 50lb rock depending on the weather. No poles required. I mostly camp on the ridges and as you know it get's a bit windy especially into October. The tarp and pack system has never blown over. The pack is kept dry becasuse it is under the tarp. Then I is use a bivi bag, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag underneath - so no tent. The 8x10ft works the best. I hunt so solo so this is good way to save on some weight and money... just another option boys. I think these tarps are about $160.

cheers
Cheers back; i havent used a tent in 20 years and guys think im nuts; tarps rule and i dont sils as there too expensive for me. Ive made some awesome camps with 9x12s and have gone through brutal weather that would have sent me packing if i was stuck in a 2man. I use parachute cord and tie to rocks stumps roots trees what ever i can. Rock her down and your good to go. Just super sitting up high under a wind ledge spotting in between the clouds dry and warm with a hot cup of coffee. Shit my last houses front room was smaller lol

Timberjack
02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
What about the siltarp guidetarp II. I think the only difference is that it has velcro along the edges - better for a emergency shelter maybe? I don't think they're that much heavier and they should work for all the other uses you guys have posted..

TJ

Dutch Ppoacher
05-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Bring this up to top

pushbush
01-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Would like to read more info on this aswell

RiverRunner
01-03-2016, 10:05 AM
youtube is your friend on this subject…. many many tutorials

vip_ruger
01-16-2016, 10:26 PM
these things are the money save your ass ,keep u dry and be a great water source ,wouldn't go with out them buy about 10 extra lightweight tent pegs and a roll of small dia para cord and u will be set

Cordillera
01-20-2016, 11:10 PM
I made the mistake of using really small diameter string that was too hard to undo knots. go a little thicker and youll save yourself some headache. if you aren't backpacking (canoe or fly in trip) use the mec extendable poles which are awesome. the taymor ones sold at CT are cheap but a pain and don't last as well

Seth
05-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Does anyone have peg recommendations? I've been told certain shapes hold better. Which ones should I avoid?

SR80
05-09-2016, 06:29 AM
Does anyone have peg recommendations? I've been told certain shapes hold better. Which ones should I avoid?

I bought MSR ones, super light, I pack 4 with my tarp and some guyline at all times.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-340/msr-mini-ground-hog-tent-stake-kit-6pack/?q=pegs