PDA

View Full Version : Legalities-2 questions-and E.K. night vision

Singleshotneeded
02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
From what I understand, and what I've read in the regs, you can't have a loaded firearm in your truck or on your quad. You need to step out of your truck or get off your quad to shoot an animal, but you can legally lean against your quad or your truck hood while shooting provided both your feet are on the ground. Is this how the rest of you see it?
The other question is that a few years back, the regs listed a rule that you couldn't load a detachable magazine (clip) and have it ready to pop into your rifle until you were in a legal hunting area. In other words, you couldn't load your rifle clip the night before at home and have it ready in your glove box...and then drive with a loaded clip across town and down the highway to your hunting area. I looked in the regs last year and in the current one but couldn't find this rule anymore, did they cancel it?
I figure these are a couple of answers that'll be useful for a lot of folks.
The last thing I was wondering was if anyone had heard about the poachers in the East Koots that had bought night vision scopes and were illegally hunting at night. Has anyone heard whether they'd been caught yet? Last I heard the C.O.s out there were missing out on their beauty sleep trying to catch those guys...

.300WSMImpact!
02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
the only answer I have for you, is you cant lean on your vehicle as a rest, that is the same as shooting out the window of the truck,

Gateholio
02-13-2011, 05:23 PM
[Q
From what I understand, and what I've read in the regs, you can't have a loaded firearm in your truck or on your quad. You need to step out of your truck or get off your quad to shoot an animal, but you can legally lean against your quad or your truck hood while shooting provided both your feet are on the ground. Is this how the rest of you see itUOTE]?

Hello xxxxx,

I write to clarify the response sent to you on September 11, 2009. After discussion with the COS and legal counsel, it has been suggested that leaning against a vehicle to steady your shot is not illegal, provided both feet are on the ground. However, it is not recommended, as there is a limited field of vision in an area where there is a high probability that other people are around.[/font]

Regards,

Stephen MacIver Fish and Wildlife Branch Ministry of Environment (250) 387-9767

The other question is that a few years back, the regs listed a rule that you couldn't load a detachable magazine (clip) and have it ready to pop into your rifle until you were in a legal hunting area. In other words, you couldn't load your rifle clip the night before at home and have it ready in your glove box...and then drive with a loaded clip across town and down the highway to your hunting area. I looked in the regs last year and in the current one but couldn't find this rule anymore, did they cancel it?

No law against loading a magazine and keeping it separate from the firearm.

proguide66
02-13-2011, 05:30 PM
One thing I can add wich is kinda related is you can not have a loaded firearm leaning on a snowmobile either.
My freind in Toad was trapping and wayy south of the highway alone. A young CO saw his tracks from the highway and decided to unload and persue...my freind had 'just' dispatched a wolverine wich was still in a snare ,and layed the gun on the sled with the clip in...CO came up , wrote him a ticket and $ fine...:neutral:

Singleshotneeded
02-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks Gatehouse, That clears that up, you can lean against the vehicle as long as you're outside it with both feet on the ground. The law about not having a loaded clip in your vehicle when inside a town/city limits that was in the regs some years back has been rescinded...good. And finally, you can't lean a loaded firearm against a motor vehicle.
I guess no one has heard anything about the midnight cowboys in the East Kootenays...hopefully they got caught.