View Full Version : Jetboat hunting Stave river

white moose
02-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Anybody done this? How far can you go up? Was thinking of trying bear hunting up there. Not enough experience for the upper pitt yet. Can you boat up at the end of harrison lake? Where would you guys take a boat?

wos
02-12-2011, 11:12 PM
I tride to run the lillooet at the north end of harrison last spring. After 2 hrs of being pounded by heavy choppy waves no one was in any mood to see how far we could make it up the river. I learned my river boat works best on rivers.;)

JRG94
02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
can't go that far up the upper stave, it's pretty narrow and shallow then there are rock gardens that u cant get pass.

better off the unload quads or what ever at the end of pitt lake at the dock and go from there.

NaStY
02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Sorry for the high jack. Does anyone know if there is still a north river boat stuck in the trees in the upper pitt ?

SHACK
02-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Wow, thats an all over the map bunch of questions!
All three of these lakes have logging road access once your accross the lakes. If you dont run the pitt, you shouldn't even think of the stave. The lilly at the top of harrison is much more forgiving water to run, but you have the lake to deal with and that is near a 2 hour crossing. With the way that the harrison whips up, you have to go prepared to spend a night if you get blown out so to speak. Once your in the shiet on harrison, there is no place to get shelter from the pounding waves.
Sure the bear hunting can be quite good, but its no big seccret, and they do get hunted up there. However the place I have consistantly seen the largest bears is on the lilly. Dont know why, but I have seen some TANKS in the first 5 km of that river on several occasions. I came close to smacking one a couple years ago, I just am not that into bears.

Big Lew
02-13-2011, 09:18 AM
[quote=JRG94;855524]can't go that far up the upper stave, it's pretty narrow and shallow then there are rock gardens that u cant get pass.

better off the unload quads or what ever at the end of pitt lake at the dock and go from there.[/quote
Have to agree, I've trekked along a lot of that river during low water, keeping an eye out for canoeing and jet-boat opportunities. In places, it is very shallow with nasty boulders and sharp turns. Not too far up, there's a large island with narrow chutes on either side I doubt are passable. Further up, there are impassible boulder sections. I've not followed the river during high water....maybe a jet-boat could penetrate quite a ways up then. Check it out closely on "google earth" and you can see the problem areas.

wos
02-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know if there is still a north river boat stuck in the trees in the upper pitt ?

was it dark green?

MountainHigh
02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
You can run approx 9km up the Stave. There is a rock wall with a nice fishing hole there....but thats the end of the line. You WILL pound the snot out of your boat if you choose to go farther up from there. The boating not particularly challenging but the scenery is sure nice. There are a fair number of hunters I know that go up there and hunt the upper end.

On another note, I went up the upper pitt today. There is an impassable log just below the tubs. My little saw won't cut the mustard to cut it out. Water is surprisingly good though. Was a lot of fun with some technical spots...nothin too bad though.

Barracuda
02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
you can get further ten 9 km in an almost flat bottom jet but not one of these white water winnibagos. better to go to the road and hike it that way as the extra few km in the boat are more damaging then they are worth. i have some pics on here some where

white moose
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info. Pics would be awesome. I bought a 18.5ft firefish hammerhead with a 350. It has a 8-12 degree variable bottom with full teflon. Should be capable, but need more experience. Haven't had a chance to do much boating yet. Busy working paying for boat. lol.

MountainHigh
02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
past 9 km you can take a flat bottom boat...but you will pound the snot out of it...trust me...been there done that. Boated it, hiked it, drifted it, flown it.