PDA

View Full Version : lake set up?

notyalc
02-11-2011, 02:59 PM
What rod, reel, and line would be best for fishing the lakes in the cariboo? I dont want to spend a fortune ($100 max). Right now im using some cheapy walmart combo ones which work but i think i would like to upgrade. I find that i get my self into alot of weeds and end up breaking the lines, is there a good line aout there that would work good in those situations? I guess i was expecting to pay about $40 for a rod and probably another $40 for a reel.

BlacktailStalker
02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I dont think you can even get a set up that cheap.
If you can you'll likely buy another the next day because the first one broke.
Save your $.

notyalc
02-11-2011, 03:22 PM
The $30 rod/reel combo from walmart is still holding up after 3 years. I'm just looking for suggestions for a budget setup.

warnniklz
02-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Are you fly fishing? Trophy has new Journey fly rods out that range in 3 weight to 7 weight and reels to match. I'm not sure the exact retail but I think a rod and reel will be $200-$300. I have a 5 weight and love it!! Looking at getting a 3 weight. There's a little 1/4" gap or so where the 2 pieces meet. I thought it would blow apart but hasn't so I'm happy. I also find their nicer if you use a line heavier than your rod class. Say a 5 weight line on a 4 weight rod or a 4 weight line on a 3 weight rod!

Ruger4
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Call Trout Water Fly and Tackle in Kelowna ,
they'll fix you up , good guys to
250-823-6633

notyalc
02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
no im not fly fishing...yet

warnniklz
02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
no im not fly fishing...yet

THEN START!! Ah ha ha... JK

Call Trout Water Fly and Tackle in Kelowna ,
they'll fix you up , good guys to
250-823-6633

Grouse River?? How bout them?? Site sponsor?? They know their stuff too. So does Trout Water...

Phil
02-11-2011, 04:40 PM
What rod do you have now? What length? Which reel?

What is it about your set up now you're having problems with?

I have a few different set ups for the area your talking about. They range in price from ultra cheep to very expensive. More expensive doesn't mean you'll catch more fish or have less head aches. The fish don't seem to care what your using above the water line. Better set ups do tend to make the fight more exicting provided you're using the right weight and length of rod for the size of fish your tryng to catch.

notyalc
02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
What rod do you have now? What length? Which reel?

What is it about your set up now you're having problems with?

I have a few different set ups for the area your talking about. They range in price from ultra cheep to very expensive. More expensive doesn't mean you'll catch more fish or have less head aches. The fish don't seem to care what your using above the water line. Better set ups do tend to make the fight more exicting provided you're using the right weight and length of rod for the size of fish your tryng to catch.

The set up i use is at my cabin so i dont know the specs on it. I do know its a daiwa and probably about the 6' mark i guess. The whole combo cost about $30 from walmart. The whole thing feels pretty flimsy and the reel is always a pain to cast with.

recoil
02-15-2011, 01:04 AM
You might want to consider two rods, one lightweight for fishing the smaller lakes for rainbows and another heavier rod for dragging gang trolls for kokanee and heavy spoons for lakers. My friends swear by "ugly stick" rods for trolling the big lakes. I prefer to flyfish whenever possible but havent figured out how to consistantly catch kokanee on the fly.

CanuckShooter
02-15-2011, 08:51 AM
What rod, reel, and line would be best for fishing the lakes in the cariboo? I dont want to spend a fortune ($100 max). Right now im using some cheapy walmart combo ones which work but i think i would like to upgrade. I find that i get my self into alot of weeds and end up breaking the lines, is there a good line aout there that would work good in those situations? I guess i was expecting to pay about $40 for a rod and probably another $40 for a reel.

You could try a premium line....or a spyder wire type of braided line...will go a long ways to prevent break offs because you can get a way higher breaking strength for the same size line.

For casting an open face reel will be easier to cast than a level wind.....