PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear Forecast 2011 Reg 7-9, 7-10, 7-12, 7-15????

warnniklz
02-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Getting antsy for spring bear season. Every April we head up to PG for my buddy's b-day and do a week long spring bear hunt. We usually hit up the Blackwater Rd then over to Bobtail mountain.

My buddy's b-day is April 10th. So we're usually up there the first or second week of April. The last few years it's been pretty brown(dry) and haven't seen much in terms of bears or even bear sign. Lots of moose and grouse though.

This year we're aiming at April 9th-16th. There's still (from what I hear) a lot of snow up there. And I guess PG is suppose to be getting more this weekend. So I'm thinking April will still be pretty early.

For you locals would it be wise to hold out until say May?? or try a different area??

ROEBUCK
02-11-2011, 02:07 PM
wait till first week in may
slim pickins before then

todbartell
02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I'd say your best time would be May 10-18

BlacktailStalker
02-11-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd take the advice of the above but if it is unseasonably warm, early may might be a good bet. The warmer it gets the sooner they'll start rubbing so if you're looking for a nice rug, you'll want to avoid that.
Later in May and early June the big boars start walking to find potential sows as the rut kicks off hard mid June.

warnniklz
02-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys. I think I will go up in April and only spend a day or two looking around for bears, the rest partying and what not. I'll be up Williams Lake area May Long weekend and out Harrison the weekend before. Always see bears those areas during those weekends.

This year my buddy wants a meat bear and he doesn't care what the hide is like. He just wants to get it tanned so he can put it on his bed then throw a naked girl on it and do things that are meant for another forum.

I'll be looking for a big booner... but will settle for an OK bear.

Again thanks for the heads up!!

Krico
02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Prime time is early to mid May. First 2 weeks of April is never good for bears - usually a fair bit of snow still around, and not much green yet where it's melted. I usually don't bother wasting any gas until at least April 15. Nice thing though if you do find a good one at that time the hide will likely be in nice shape.

srupp
02-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I agree with the above posters

1) first 2 weeks in May
2) this WILL be the best bear season in 20 years..
3) hides will be primo
4) more than normal numbers of EXCEPTIONAL sized bears both G bears and blacks..

Steven

warnniklz
02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm really excited this year for bear season. I passed up a big boy last fall out Farwell canyon. I wasn't sure of the shot and ran out of shooting light. So hopefully it's around this spring.

And I'm going to get my Gbear draw this year... I can feel it!! ah ha... it's my year, I can feel it in my bones... well it's my year this year until they run the draws and don't pull my name.

However I will put the Km's on to find one. And hopefully get my rookie buddy to connect on one as well.

BromBones
02-11-2011, 07:12 PM
We do have a bit of snow this year, but nothing terrible. Some warm weather and rain in late March/early April makes a faster melt and can change things for spring bear in a hurry, no matter the snowpack levels.

I've been on bears very early in the season when there's still quite a bit of snow, but that's hunting areas that I have good knowledge of and know the bears habits pretty well. Definitely can't go wrong with first part of May though.

Also agree with rupp, gonna be a great year for bears.

Brett
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
doesn't bear season open April 15th? Any way if you just want a bear head north to the Salmon FSR and shoot one. seems to be a sure thing on a sunny day, deosn't matter who goes up there.

Shade Tree
02-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I believe late springs are not as good because everything greens up quickly. Not a problem if you are just looking for a bear. It may mean the difference from seeing three bears on a weekend to seeing thirty. I have always found the weekend after the long weekend to be the best around PG.

warnniklz
02-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Region 7 opens april 1. Even if I go up early I can see how everything is melting and how/if anything is moving. I still gotta learn the area but it's starting to look like a scouting trip with legality of bagging something.