PDA

View Full Version : dog training collars

dukester
02-11-2011, 08:03 AM
newbie question.. i se these alott more being used,, how do they work, are they worth there weight??? i will be trainig a 1 yr old Golden for sask geese .. txs. duke

GoldNGun Retrievers
02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
electronic collars a a good tool when used with caution and understanding. I have been training retrievers with them for the last 20 years, mostly goldens who tend to be a little more sensitive than labs. Tritronics is what I use but I have had and used DOGTRA. I highly recommend using the training material offered by which ever one you get. either will do for hunting purposes. One of the keys is to have your fundementals in place before you begin with electronics and progress from the beginning in small steps. I highly recommend you consult someone familar with collar training before you start and as you progress. Electronic collars are a great tool in the right hands but can be a cruel implement when not used with understanding and caution. Getting in touch with your local Retriever club could provide you with some support. You are welcome to PM me if you wish.
Rick

Foxton Gundogs
02-14-2011, 06:23 PM
E Collars are great BUT learn to use them they can be a GREAT training aid OR a torture device Like Rick says contact the lacal clubs and traiers as well as the info videos garner all the info you can tyhen above all use common sense. When I first started using 1 my mentor shocked me at all leavls so I'd know what I was dealing with GREAT leason

Jim