PDA

View Full Version : Big Fires in Region 7b

bwhnter
07-05-2006, 09:53 AM
My Dad got drawn for Grizzly in 7-45 but I just got off of the phone with a friend that works up there and he said that there is a big fire up there. Most of the oilfield camps have been evacuated and last night they were talking about doing the same with 101. This could really hurt the hunting up here this fall due to the smoke and loss of habitat. It is so dry that most of the fields have quit growing and the deer are just laying around my dugouts.
Also if we don't get alot of rain there will be no camp fires allowed.

bigwhiteys
07-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Bwhunter,

My dad works in the oilpatch in FSJ. He said the same thing to me on the phone last night. Back in his outfitting days he saw this once before where access to the backcountry was totally prohibited because of the risk of fire.

This was several years ago.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

GoatGuy
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't be too worried - it's a long time between now and the end of sept/early october. Might even be better for you. If the fire goes out soon and you get a dump of rain there'll be grass by fall.

In the longterm you'll be gaining habitat

boonerbuck
07-05-2006, 01:17 PM
That's a late season hunt up there.

I'm going in Aug 20th.

bwhnter
07-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I agree that it is good for the long term. I have seen first hand how much better antler and horn growth is in areas that have been burned. I sure hope that it doesn't ruin our plans for this fall.

A friend of mine was out quading on the weekend and the muskeg that was kicked up onto the exhaust on his bike caught on fire and then fell off. They were lucky enough to spot the smoke on their way back out and they put the fire out but it could have easily gone unnoticed. Just goes to show you how dry it is out there.

PGKris
07-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Ya she's dry for sure. I think it'll be OK up there this fall.......have fun with that grizz draw. I know for a fact there's a few big ones in that area

270WIN
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
How do you guys think that going to afect the early bull moose season i was planiny to head to 101 in aug do you guy think i should look to other plans

willy442
07-05-2006, 03:07 PM
How do you guys think that going to afect the early bull moose season i was planiny to head to 101 in aug do you guy think i should look to other plans

As of last night 101 was issued an evacuation alert due to fires in the area. It is extremly dry and with thunder storms in ther forecast the situation is likely to deteriorate. The moose season is a ways off though.

bwhnter
07-05-2006, 04:01 PM
[QUOTYa she's dry for sure. I think it'll be OK up there this fall.......have fun with that grizz draw. I know for a fact there's a few big ones in that areaE][/QUOTE]

My Dad and Grandfather used to trap that counrty and we used to hunt moose in there years ago. When I was a kid a friend and I were quading down an old lease road hunting grouse and we hit a patch of really thick fog when we came out the other side we just about hit a grizz that was standing in the middle of the road. It seemed to me that he was huge as we went passed him but we didn't stop to check that for sure. Hope fully we will see a good one this fall up there.

I don't think you should make other plans but the areas that you had good luck in in the past might be a little different this fall.

boonerbuck
07-05-2006, 04:01 PM
If theres little real rain this month, I'd be looking at other plans for sure.

oldtimer
07-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I don't want to throw a wet blanket on everybodies plans but unless there is a HUGE amount of rain up here the government will shut the bush down !! Right now all around Quesnel and all areas south of Prince are on fire and if it doesn't get wet they won't let us in. To whoever said it is a long way off to hunting season I would remind them it is about 8 weeks til bow season and according to the long range forecast it is supposed to be above average temps during this period.
PRAY FOR RAIN !!!! Mike

Mooseman
07-05-2006, 05:51 PM
There is some bad fires south-west and south of here. I also just talked to a friend in Fort St. James. She lives on the north side of the lake and said that there are huge flames looking south towards Vanderhoof on top of a big ridge....................scary!

PGKris
07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Ya no kiddin oldtimer. She's bad round here right now. We need the wet stuff.
Bwhnter: We saw some big tracks out near the 7-45 boundary south of Pink Mountain near the Halfway River. Didn't measure but the hind foot looked to be about 9-10" We didn't stick around :D

bwhnter
07-05-2006, 06:31 PM
PGKris,
7-45 is actually on the East side of the Alaska Highway. The boundaries are the Beatton River to the South and East and the Sikanni River to the North. It is not typical grizz country because you have to hunt the pipe lines and siesmic lines but if you know where to look there are quite a few bears in there.

PGKris
07-05-2006, 08:01 PM
OK Then we were in 7-57 or 7-34. Easy to get it mixed up as we put up signs from all the way north to Pink Mountain to as far south as Tumbler over the gravel part of the Memorial HWY then as far west as the Dam. You see em, I punched em in.
Kris

TGF
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
There is some bad fires south-west and south of here. I also just talked to a friend in Fort St. James. She lives on the north side of the lake and said that there are huge flames looking south towards Vanderhoof on top of a big ridge....................scary!

Was fishing yesterday in Stuart Lake and also noticed fires up on the North Rd area. Seem to be fires all around that area. Was smokey when we left there this am. A few water bombers could be seen dumping water on the area.

talver
07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Anyone know how it is around tumbler ridge for fires ????????

PGKris
07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Ahhhh.....lots.

PGKris
07-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Last I heard was 0% contained but not threatening any structures. It's raining here now so hopefully the rain moves north.

Phred
07-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Just goes to show that it's always a good idea to have backup plans.
Years ago the area we wanted to hunt was closed due to a fire, so we were forced to hunt somewhere else without having decent plans. I'm not making that mistake again.

boonerbuck
07-06-2006, 05:22 PM
It's raining here now so hopefully the rain moves north.

Problem is the rain we're getting is bringing lots of lightening with it, at least here in 100 Mile.

PGKris
07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah it lit up a bunch of spot fires last night in PG but they're all out today. Better than lightning by itself?

3kills
07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
here go to this site for all the info u need.....

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/protect/