PDA

View Full Version : Africa: What's your pleasure?

bruin
02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I got a really good deal on an African hunt. South Africa, with a reputable outfitter for plains game. We're going to do it for our honeymoon in October and combine it with a week of touring. So the outfitter asked me what species were on my wish list and I have no idea! There's a couple like gemsbuck and impala that I think would be pretty cool buts my question is this:
If you could pick 5 plains animals in SA to take which would they be?

Ambush
02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Gemsbuck, Kudu, Bushbuck, Impala and Warthog. And tell your outfitter to get you a baboon permit for sure. But there is nothing that says "Africa" louder than a Zebra. You'll have a great time.

Where are you touring?

aliagha
02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
1. KUDU
2. GEMSBOK
3.SABLE (if possible)
4. IMPALA
5. DUIKER

fowlweather
02-10-2011, 09:41 PM
leapord anything would be really cool, an impala is my favorite. but a cheetah is on the list too. i love cats!

bruin
02-10-2011, 09:45 PM
I believe we will be close to Mpumalanga and Cape Town. I don't have a ton of details as it will depend on what animals I choose to hunt.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Do you usually take your own gun or do you use the outfitters? How tough is it to take one there?

bruin
02-10-2011, 09:47 PM
leapord anything would be really cool, an impala is my favorite. but a cheetah is on the list too. i love cats!

That's slightly out of my price range!!

Ambush
02-10-2011, 09:49 PM
I would definitely rent a gun from the outfitter. It will make your life and trip so much simpler.

Are you flying into Jo-burg?

bruin
02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Yes, then on to Nelspruit. Looks like it will cost around $2000 ea round trip.

Spy
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM

Any reason you would want to shoot A leapord or a cheetah? Im not knocking you! Just asking a question!:-D

fowlweather
02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Any reason you would want to shoot A leapord or a cheetah? Im not knocking you! Just asking a question!:-D

i just think they would be a very good full mount along with a good conversation starter to talk over a beer

Spy
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Impala & warthogs are fun & a good animal to start on, to get your eyes accustomed to the african bush veld! It takes about 3 days to get your eyes adjusted! If you want a really exciting hunt, ask to hunt Bush pigs! Bush buck are also cunning & great to hunt.
Kudu should be top of your list,As the big ones are an awesome adversary & will normally walk circles around you!
Blue Wildebeest & Zebra you will normally find them together both tough to bring down shot placement & a good calibre!

Probably the most fun you could have hunting in Africa is with a 22!:-D Guiniefowl,francolin, doves, spring hair, rabbits,& other small game, lots of fun & a good filler.
If you are into wing shooting lots of ducks, geese, Guiniefowl, & francolin over trained dogs!
Enjoy Im envious:mrgreen:

Kody94
02-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Bruin, congrats! This should be a great trip. One thing I have to recommend however, is that you should add a couple days to your trip to visit Kruger Park...preferably before the hunt. I've hunted in the Limpopo (west of Mpumalunga) twice and have never seen Kruger Park(too busy) and totally regret it.

As far as species go, my hit-list for a first plains game safari in Mpumalunga area would be:

Kudu
Blue Wildebeeste
Warthog
Impala
Zebra

if you are feeling a little rich, there are good Nyala there too, and they are beautiful. Bushbuck is my nemesis (0 for 2), and they are a pretty antelope that lives in riverine habitat...if the ranch you are on has them, you might want to take the opportunity.

If the ranch(s) you are hunting have eland, I'd consider it too. They are the "poor mans buffalo". They are moose sized and you hunt them like cape buffalo....find a track and follow it. Best hunt in RSA if you ask me.

Cheers!

paw325
02-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Bruin, congrats! This should be a great trip. One thing I have to recommend however, is that you should add a couple days to your trip to visit Kruger Park...preferably before the hunt. I've hunted in the Limpopo (west of Mpumalunga) twice and have never seen Kruger Park(too busy) and totally regret it.

As far as species go, my hit-list for a first plains game safari in Mpumalunga area would be:

Kudu
Blue Wildebeeste
Warthog
Impala
Zebra

if you are feeling a little rich, there are good Nyala there too, and they are beautiful. Bushbuck is my nemesis (0 for 2), and they are a pretty antelope that lives in riverine habitat...if the ranch you are on has them, you might want to take the opportunity.

If the ranch(s) you are hunting have eland, I'd consider it too. They are the "poor mans buffalo". They are moose sized and you hunt them like cape buffalo....find a track and follow it. Best hunt in RSA if you ask me.

Cheers!

If you think you are only going to go once, spend the time and money for Nyala. Also if you think you are only going to go once you are kidding yourself http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

tankster
02-11-2011, 09:27 AM
i went to south africa for the first time about 8 years ago i went all out thinking i would never go back. on that hunt i took to capes one was 45 inches and the other was 44. had a blast went back 2 years later and did the plains game thing and got a giant kudu it was way up on this high knoll it was kinda cool spotting and stalking it

quigleyoutwest
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
just curious , but whats a good deal for the plains 5 ,

tankster
02-11-2011, 11:03 AM
just curious , but whats a good deal for the plains 5 ,

freind of mine went last year... 5000 for the hunt he got 6 animails and used outfitters gun.

rocksteady
02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
DikDik....easier to transport home, just stuff them into your carry on baggage - WHOLE....

BCHunterFSJ
02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
My top 5? kudu
gemsbok
blue wildebeest
red hartebeest
impala
But then I went crazy and also shot a zebra (my wife insisted...), a black wildebeest, a blesbok, and a sprinbok!
I rented a rifle from my outfitter.
Kruger Park was outstanding! A must see...

barry1974w
02-13-2011, 03:36 PM
gemsbok
sable
impala
kudu
springbok

BiG Boar
02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Sable can't just be thrown in Willie nillie like it's just a plains game animal. They cost around $8000 usually. So strike that from the record if you're not interested in doubling your bill.

My list wouldn't just be five, but in order of preference would be
Kudu
Gemsbok
Black Wildebeast
Warthog
Zebra
Giraffe (if around $1600)
And then anything eles you see that looks good. Pm me if you want to talk more about it. I would love to talk about Africa again. Can't wait to go back.

Brambles
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Kudu
Gemsbok
Impala
Eland
Blesbok.

However I"d trade the Blesbok at a chance at either two Kudu or two Gemsbok, thems the nicest IMO

M.Dean
02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
I would pick a Elephant! Man O man, the steaks off that Bad boy Have got to be some thing to see! I'd need to make a frying pan out of a 4x8 sheet of steal! And the roasts!!! One small roast, and you'd have left overs for the best part of the summer!! I might start looking on Crags List for good used Deep Freezes, when I get around 12 to 14, I going to Africa! I'd wouldn't have to hunt again for 6 years for meat!!! What, does it cost to fly a Elephant back??? De-boned of course!!!:grin: (Cape Buffalo and Lion!!!)

Kody94
02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Sable can't just be thrown in Willie nillie like it's just a plains game animal. They cost around $8000 usually. So strike that from the record if you're not interested in doubling your bill.

My list wouldn't just be five, but in order of preference would be
Kudu
Gemsbok
Black Wildebeast
Warthog
Zebra
Giraffe (if around $1600)
And then anything eles you see that looks good. Pm me if you want to talk more about it. I would love to talk about Africa again. Can't wait to go back.

Personally, I wouldn't do a sable in RSA...it just doesn't seem right in that environment. I would much rather hunt sable in Zim, Moz, or Tanz (or Zambia, etc). Not sure why, I know they were indigenous, were pretty much extirpated and are being brought back in northern RSA (and elsewhere) but they just seem like something I'd rather take where there are no fences at all, and I know that they didn't just come in from Zimbabwe in the last 10 to 20 years.

I don't believe there are any Black Wildebeast in Mpumalunga. They are and Eastern Cape species.

I've only seen Giraffe for $3500 or more, if you can find one for $1600 I only have one word...."tiiimberrrrrr". :)

Tank
02-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I am booked for a hunt in Zimbabwe come 2012. My top 5 plains game species are:

Giraffe (not sure why....but its number 1!)
Eland -sounds like lots of boot leather and tracking for these guys
Kudo
Zebra
Impala - impala are pure africa!

I am pumped to get a warthog as well....but since this a top 5 he doesn't make the cut.

Have a great trip!

bruin
02-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Well, I'm sending my list to the outfitter today to find out trophy fees and availability while I'm there (late September)
1 Kudu
2 Zebra (I never thought I'd be interested in this but a tanned hide would look soooo cool.
3 Gemsbuck
4 Impala
5 Springbuck
6 Warthog

We'll see what they come back with. I have a $1000 credit toward trophy fees but it looks like that will get eaten up pretty fast!

Kody94
02-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm sending my list to the outfitter today to find out trophy fees and availability while I'm there (late September)
1 Kudu
2 Zebra (I never thought I'd be interested in this but a tanned hide would look soooo cool.
3 Gemsbuck
4 Impala
5 Springbuck
6 Warthog

We'll see what they come back with. I have a $1000 credit toward trophy fees but it looks like that will get eaten up pretty fast!

That's a pretty good list, and reasonably affordable to! The $1k will probably get you half a kudu or most of a zebra. :wink:

I think you'll have a hoot hunting that list. Zebra are almost my #1. I've hunted them hard and only taken two on 4 trips.

Do not forget to work in a trip to Kruger. Its like nothing you'll see anywhere else in RSA, and the closest you'll get to seeing Africa like it is on Nat Geographic.

pg83
02-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Gemsbok
Kudu
Impala
Warthog
Eland

Tough to make out a list with only five on it though...

Africa(Namibia in particular) is a hunt I have dreamed of since I was a wee lad looking through dads hunting magazines. I never got the chance to go with him as he passed away last year, but it is something I have sworn to do with my son(who was born last year as well). Question is, do I wait til he is 5-10 years old so that he will remember it or do I take off sooner knowing full well that I will be heading back there again?

Sorry for the partial hijack. Can't wait for the pics and stories from you bruin.

Old Crow
02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Does no one else find it a little bit ironic that we get into flame wars with the GOABC and the idea of rich foreign hunters coming here to shoot ''our'' game, and yet some people get so excited about flying half-way across the world to shoot animals for bragging rights only? The meat sure ain't coming home with you. (''I feed the trackers'' doesn't wash with me, sorry)
I have a lifetime of great hunting here in BC.
Just see no need to go that far or spend that kind of cash for a wall mount, but to each his own. Have a good hunt. :-)

Kody94
02-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Does no one else find it a little bit ironic that we get into flame wars with the GOABC and the idea of rich foreign hunters coming here to shoot ''our'' game, and yet some people get so excited about flying half-way across the world to shoot animals for bragging rights only? The meat sure ain't coming home with you. (''I feed the trackers'' doesn't wash with me, sorry)
Just see no need to go that far or spend that kind of cash for a wall mount, but to each his own. Have a good hunt. :-)

It aint about the wall mount or bragging rights for me. I wish we could bring the meat home (its all FANTASTIC), but I eat as much as I can while I am there. What its about is HUNTING! I love to hunt, and hunting in an exotic land after exotic animals just takes it up a notch for me.

If it doesn't float your boat, that's cool. It definitely floats mine. Some folks hunt with one gun...I can't resist trying new one. Some folks are happy hunting blacktails, some need to try for the NA 29, or venture across the pond.

Also, note that not everyone engages in the discussion around "rich foreign hunters coming to shoot 'our' game". What's ironic about it?

BCHunterFSJ
02-18-2011, 09:47 AM
It aint about the wall mount or bragging rights for me. I wish we could bring the meat home (its all FANTASTIC), but I eat as much as I can while I am there. What its about is HUNTING! I love to hunt, and hunting in an exotic land after exotic animals just takes it up a notch for me.

If it doesn't float your boat, that's cool. It definitely floats mine. Some folks hunt with one gun...I can't resist trying new one. Some folks are happy hunting blacktails, some need to try for the NA 29, or venture across the pond.

Also, note that not everyone engages in the discussion around "rich foreign hunters coming to shoot 'our' game". What's ironic about it?

I'm with you Kody 94. Well stated... Thanks!

kamloopshunter
02-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Africa would be awesome but it costs so much for a hunt.

Hey if you are down in SA you should head up to Zambia if you have a chance. Vic falls is really nice. I don't know if you have it all planned but it is totally worth it. If you go in the high time the mist and power of the waterfall is amazing, if you go during low time, you can sit at the edge of the waterfall and even hang over the edge if someone holds your legs.

1/2 slam
02-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Africa would be awesome but it costs so much for a hunt.

Hey if you are down in SA you should head up to Zambia if you have a chance. Vic falls is really nice. I don't know if you have it all planned but it is totally worth it. If you go in the high time the mist and power of the waterfall is amazing, if you go during low time, you can sit at the edge of the waterfall and even hang over the edge if someone holds your legs.

I take it, by your statement, that you mean it's expensive. If thats the case I disagree. I think it's great bang for the buck. You can do 4-5 animals in SA or Namibia for less than 5000 plus airfare.

Back to the original question. I went to the Kwazulu-Natal region of SA in 2009 for 10 days. I shot 2 warthogs, 2 blue wildebeest, an impala, a duiker, a Kudu, bushbuck, nyala and a fallow deer. This was done for 7900 plus airfare. I had a blast.

I'm just firming up dates with the same outfit for 2012. This time it will be another kudu, nyala and a bushbuck. I'll also take a steenbok, klipspringer and a mountain reedbuck. The cost will be around 8100.

For both of these trips I've done a lot of extra work, odd jobs and whatever I could to save the money.

I never understood why guys went to Africa again and again. I do now. it gets in your blood.

1/2 slam
02-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Well put.

Old Crow, thats why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream :-D

bruin
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
We are definitely interested in doing some touring. Hopefully Kruger Park. Has anyone gone with any companies from there. Good or bad reports? What would you expect to pay for something like this for a week?

Kudu
03-18-2011, 02:04 PM
I got a really good deal on an African hunt. South Africa, with a reputable outfitter for plains game. We're going to do it for our honeymoon in October and combine it with a week of touring. So the outfitter asked me what species were on my wish list and I have no idea! There's a couple like gemsbuck and impala that I think would be pretty cool buts my question is this:
If you could pick 5 plains animals in SA to take which would they be?

OK here is a bit of advice - I have read the posts on this thread - some good advice in there, but take it from me if you only do the Kruger - you really haven't done much of SA at all.

Firstly decide if you want to hunt first or tour first.

If you plan to tour first - it is your honeymoon after all, don't fly into Joburg, fly into Cape town.

Stay in the cape for at least two days, plenty to do - (send me a pm and I will give you lists and ideas)

Hire a car and drive from Capetown to Port Elizabeth - this is known as the GARDEN ROUTE (not for nothing) take at least two days to do it - the Cango caves and Oudtshoorn are among of the few things you will enjoy on the trip (google them) take in Jeffrey's bay (especially if you like surfing) on the way.

Stay at least one night in Shamwari game reserve (To my mind the best game reserve in Southern Africa) and spend a day at Addo Elephant park -(more elephants per square mile than anywhere else in all of Africa)

Now fly from Port Elizabeth to your hunting destination.

My List .......if you want to challange yourself!

The small five antelope of South Africa
• Duiker
• Grysbok
• Oribi
• Steenbok
• Suni

1/2 slam
03-19-2011, 01:58 AM

Don't include me in that.

ROEBUCK
03-19-2011, 02:53 AM
on my last trip to africa ,i was like a pig at a banquet!
zebra
kudu
warthog
waterbuck
impala
dieker
springbok
wildebeast
cow kudu

so next trip to africa would be after a spotstalk lioness
and maybe a bushbuck

SHAKER
03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
IF I could ever afford it I'd trade is all for a Leopard hunt with hounds. My buddy Eldra? not sure on the spelling said its about $25K though!

Blainer
03-21-2011, 10:32 PM
8 DAY PACKAGE HUNT

$3,850.00 US

Trophy Fees included with this package:
http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/kudu-07_small.jpg (http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/kudu-07.jpg) 1 - Southern Greater Kudu
http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/blue-wildebeest-07_small.jpg (http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/blue-wildebeest-07.jpg) 1 - Blue Wildebeest
http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/blesbok-07_small.jpg (http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/blesbok-07.jpg) 1 - Blesbok
(http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/packages/red_hartebeest.jpg)http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/impala-07_small.jpg (http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/impala-07.jpg) 1 - Impala
http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/warthog-07_small.jpg (http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/warthog-07.jpg) 1 - Warthog
seems quite reasonable
hoping to go next year and thinking to add a

GEMSBOK

Blainer
03-21-2011, 10:39 PM
GEMSBOK

http://www.cruisersafaris.com/images/trophy/gemsbok1.jpg

Spy
03-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I agree with Kudu Fly into Cape town.:-DDo a couple wine tours to the many Vineyards around the Cape, this should get rid of your jet lag & give you a feel for driving on the wrong side of the road!

Then do the trip to Port Elizabeth along the garden route.:-D
If you want to go to the Kruger National Park, Book ahead In one of the many camps(self catering)& hire your own Vehicle,plan to spend at least 5 days in the park to make it worth it. Spending time in the park will also get your eyes used to the bush/veld witch will make your upcoming hunt easier. Your eyes need at least three days to become accustomed to the Veld!

While you are in Africa Fishing is fantastic check out some Tiger fish fishing!
If you are into Wing shooting send me a private message & I will put you in touch with the professionals!
Enjoy!:-D