PDA

View Full Version : Moccasins!?

fuzzy
02-10-2011, 08:32 PM
I am still a hunting newbie! But as i look through my old family albulms i see pics of my grandfather in the 1930s wearing moccasins while hunting with a packer nelson or some other torture device on his back. I have also seen other pics of him then wearing boots as he is packing something out.

Do any members on here wear moc's then change over for the pack out?

On paper it seems like a a good idea to me.

Any comments\ideas, please discuss.............. I am bored

fuzzy

madrona sh
02-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Yea I tried moc's and my feet hurt for days.
The terrain was brutal and the bush really dry.

warnniklz
02-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I wanna try a pair for early fall/late spring hunts... gotta get a goot layer of hard fat on te bottoms... or so my great aunt says

forthunter
02-10-2011, 10:16 PM
http:// shop.mukluks.com/departments/21/Men-s-Mukluks/Camuks.aspx

like these?

Jagermeister
02-10-2011, 11:32 PM
You can feel the sticks and stones under your feet really well in moccasins which allows you to tread lightly. The problem is that feeling all those sticks and stones are going to make your feet really tender at the end of the day. Did I mention how slippery the soles are when you are in a forest floor covered in pine needles? Like walking an ice covered slope. They stretch and your feet will slid in them which becomes more acute as you go down hills and your toes are crammed into the front end, that is if you are not on your ass when your feet went out from under you.
My advice to you would be invest in a light weight waterproof hunting boot. Get the best you can, source for information on sites like this and the trekking and backpacking forums too. There is a lot of information to review. In the end you will be money ahead. Believe me.

Singleshotneeded
02-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Lightweight hikers, basically bush runners, are your best bet for early season! Also bring some tall boots for dragging your critter into the river/creek to cool off before going home...if it's warm out!

seanps
02-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Just got me thinking. I've been meaning to pick up a pair of Vibram Fivefingers for this summer. They're like a hybrid glove/shoe.

Might be good for the warmer days, early in the fall, in terms of being able to feel your way along the ground.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/VibramFiveFingers/m135-hero.jpg

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Flow-Mens.htm

redthorn
02-11-2011, 12:08 PM
I have size 13 feet. those things would make a dangerous track... I can see proguide hot on my trail now with dreams of catching a "juvenile sasquatch" on camera.... or one of you "i'd shoot bigfoot and be famous" people lining up on me in my ghillie suit.

308Lover
02-11-2011, 02:02 PM
My uncle John (part Cree) wore moccasins that had enough hide to wrap around the legs almost to the knee (like WWI puttees) He wore them when hunting in the snow, but they were deadly slippery by themselves when I tried them. The usual dress for the Alberta Cree hunters in the 50's was similar, but they preferred what is known as "half rubbers" over them for traction and waterproofing.Wetness is deadly for smoked moccasins.I also have seen them with felt insoles and the rubbers. These were good at -40. For sure they are silent in the woods, but only cold,dry snow keeps them warm, or, of course, dry ground anytime.The bottoms were sewn with chest leather of the moose--pretty thick stuff.

One Shot
02-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I used to wear a style of mocassins which are called wraps made from indian tanned leather. Wearers would wear slip on low cut rubbers from Kaufman over the mocassins. Used to wear them mostly in the winter with heavy wool socks on the ranch or in the bush. Still have a pair today although I need to replace the rubbers but there is no Kaufaman any more. In colder weather used to place insoles in the bottom of a larger pair of rubbers.

brian
02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I wear some homemade moccasins on the hunt and I love them. I also wear vibram five fingers for running around town. I've used the five fingers for scouting but prefer the mocs for anything cold weather. I've almost dislocated my little toes a number of times on uneven terrain in the five fingers and they have zero protection from cold and wet. Here are my notes.
1. If your feet and calves aren't used to unsupported footwear then they will be sore after a day of hiking. So if you've always worn shoes and boots then you would need an adjustment period before boldly rushing into mocs. Your entire foot structure won't be used to supporting itself, it takes time to strengthen it.
2. Once you are used to them, they are infinitely more comfortable than boots. They breath. It's like wearing slippers to hunt with.
3. Waterproofing is a constant hassle. Every night before a hunt I am always rubbing them down with a wax mixture to keep water out as long as possible. (generally speaking my feet will stay drier than waterproof boots because less sweat accumulates, but they won't hold up to a real soaking).
4. Grip, most Mocs have horrible grip problems. I got around this by applying a goop sole. This is basically a mixture of Barges cement and crumb rubber that is applied to the sole. It works wonders for grip on rocks and hard surfaces but it is not as good as a lugged sole on soft ground. Its still better than raw leather which is slick as hell.
5. It is waaaay easier to step quietly. You can feel the ground under you. Also sticks that would snap under your boots have a decent chance of not snapping under your mocs. Basically the branches that you do step on only snap under the ball or heel of your foot. Anything mid sole will be cushioned and not snap as easily.

My Mocs are a two layer system (helps drying them out at night). They are a leather outer shell with a removable sheepskin inner lining. This makes them warmer in cold and snow than my boots because they encourage better blood circulation. The sheep skin acts as a second water barrier while never really allowing sweat to accumulate. This all helps to keep your feet toasty warm.

I love them for hunting. I want to make a pair for around town as well but my time is so limited.

swampthing
02-11-2011, 08:25 PM
My moccosins have an x-talon sole, 400gram thinsulate and say kenetrek on the side.

olharley guy
02-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Howdy,quite often I would wear mocassins on the trapline made by the native ladies in the Yukon.
They were moosehide and the uppers were canvas with tie strips for wrapping around the canvas.
Had thin felt liner and heavy wool socks - were toasty warm in -40 or more weather when I was stuck out there.
But only in cold weather-don't get them wet-take them off before going in the tent or whatever - shake them clean and hang them up.
Never tried them on dry ground.
The old smoke smell took forever to go away. Friends would say take them things off before you come into my house -cats would be right there sniffing around. Ha! Later

DCURR
02-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I recieved a pair of medium high lined mocassins for Christmas and can't wait to try them in the spring. They are made in Winnipeg at Manitobah Muckluks and they are very nice. As a child the only "winter boots" we had were mocassins. They were great only the smooth leather bottoms did get slippery. My new ones have a rubber like sole that moulds to your feet so you should still have quiet steps and a better feel than boots but won't hurt your feet.

DCURR
02-12-2011, 10:11 AM
the Tapper Nelson pack was the sh!t in its day. Has been replaced by modern equipment now.

gmcgilli66
02-12-2011, 11:02 PM
You can feel the sticks and stones under your feet really well in moccasins which allows you to tread lightly. The problem is that feeling all those sticks and stones are going to make your feet really tender at the end of the day. Did I mention how slippery the soles are when you are in a forest floor covered in pine needles? Like walking an ice covered slope. They stretch and your feet will slid in them which becomes more acute as you go down hills and your toes are crammed into the front end, that is if you are not on your ass when your feet went out from under you.
My advice to you would be invest in a light weight waterproof hunting boot. Get the best you can, source for information on sites like this and the trekking and backpacking forums too. There is a lot of information to review. In the end you will be money ahead. Believe me.

I agree! Moccasins are quiet but dangerous in the bush. Feet take a lot of toughening to wear a moc. Water, rocks, sticks are all your enemy. Don't even think of snow or icy conditions.
I'd stick to wearing mocc's in camp or in the cabin by the fire

Spy
02-13-2011, 03:29 AM
the Tapper Nelson pack was the sh!t in its day. Has been replaced by modern equipment now.

I have a trapper Nelson pack board#3 Any value to them? I was thinking of using it on A hunt.:-D

Johnnybear
02-13-2011, 11:50 AM
If it's just the quiet factor your looking for during a stalk you might want to check out something like this.

http://app.ecwid.com/image/2421890?ownerid=128294

Dayone Camo sells them. Called creepers. They look light weight and something you could throw in pack and use as needed.

olharley guy
02-13-2011, 12:35 PM
I have a trapper Nelson pack board#3 Any value to them? I was thinking of using it on A hunt.:-D

Howdy-no value - useless-worthless-I'll give you $10.00 for it just so no one laughs at you when you say you own one. LOL Later