PDA

View Full Version : Last day of vacation well spent

Marc
02-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Well I had one last day of vacation I needed to use up by the end of the month and today just happened to be the spring goose opener to try and target some of the resident geese we have on the Island.

ShotgunJohn and I set up my dozen Dakota's and we were ready to go for 7:00am, the first hour all we saw where a few mallards that buzzed around the decoys, I had forgotten how peaceful it is sitting in a field early in the morning on a work day. We had 3 mallards land just outside the decoys and Marshall was getting so frustrated and couldn't understand why we weren't shooting them.

The first goose, a single came in at 8:00am, what started off as a slow morning picked up pretty fast with 3 doubles in the mix. It was strange as we has 2 groups of 3 geese come into our spread this morning. What I find strange is most of the geese are now flying in pairs so it's odd to see another goose trying to mow the other guys grass.

We had both limited out by 10:00am and picked up the decoys. We then realized we had a good 100 lbs of geese to haul out with us as well. We didn't anticipate that this morning was going to turn into a two man limit of birds as spring can be quite slow.

I'm presently at the tail end of my cold that's been hanging on for the last 3 weeks, my back hurts every time I cough now but I said the heck with it. Tired of spending my weekends trying to sleep off this cold so it was a nice change to get out and about. Marshall had an awesome time today and made some great retrieves. He's going to sleep well tonight.

I heard a few shots this morning in the distance, hope everyone had a great opener!

Marshall being a clown trying to steal my hat.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/marshall_grabbing_hat.jpg

kennyj
02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Awesome! You guys had a great day out there. Congratulations on a nice limit.
kenny

porcupine
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Great going guys! Got to reduce the number of local canadas.

naes
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Good shooting :-D

gameslayer
02-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Great for you guys, it was a beautiful day to be out for sure. I noticed the Geese flying in pairs on Tuesday evening waking the labs and the boys figured it was their pre mating courting going on. Thanks for posting

lorneparker1
02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Well done marc!

fowlweather
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
way to go old gummers! (inside joke) i gotta get out there :) leave some for me!

longshot
02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Wow, nice job John and Marc! Looks like you guys found a bird, or two... or ten! Sweet deal. Gotta love Marshall's character :wink:.

I am not sure if we are getting out at all this week. My dad, me, and my sis' have come down with a bad bug. :cry: We'll see how we feel in the morning I guess.

Longshot jr.

Ian F.
02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Mittens????

sawmill
02-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Trade you some elk steaks for a goose!

warnniklz
02-11-2011, 09:00 AM
I got a stupid cough, runny nose and sneezing... I think it's a sickness from not going out doing population control on geese... but tomorrow I'm out there like a dirty shirt no matter what!!!

I'm going to have 65lbs of goose to myself ah ha ha ha

Marc
02-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Mittens????

It's pretty cold this time of year on the Island, I think it was an honest to goodness minus 2 degrees that morning.:mrgreen:

I never noticed the mittens until after I posted the picture.

kyleklassen
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
good shoot guys.....k.k.

Old Crow
02-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Great hunt :D Keep more of them outta the parks....... try Deer Lake in Burnaby someday lol I miss waterfowling, gonna have to beg someone to take me someday *sigh*

warnniklz
02-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Great hunt :D Keep more of them outta the parks....... try Deer Lake in Burnaby someday lol I miss waterfowling, gonna have to beg someone to take me someday *sigh*

We should hit up Burnaby City Hall for geese. Those resident geese are getting bigger and bigger.

kyleklassen
02-11-2011, 11:33 PM
We should hit up Burnaby City Hall for geese. Those resident geese are getting bigger and bigger.and tougher and tougher

Marc
02-12-2011, 12:02 AM
and tougher and tougher

Out of the five birds I took home I could only pluck two of them, the other 3 must have been some old breeding stock as the feathers were well stuck in there. The rule of thumb is if hard to pluck it's a tough old bird. Doesn't really matter much to me as I'm turning those 3 into goose burgers tomorrow.

I put the thighs to boil last night and made a nice Acadian fricot for supper last night and finished it off for supper tonight.

For those getting into the sport the bigger birds aren't always the best eating birds. The smaller ones in the flock are usually the young from this spring and the better eating. The Spring season if you're shooting pairs chances are they're older birds.

shotgunjohn
02-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Mittens???

Hell Ian it was cold!

Ian F.
02-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Mittens???

Hell Ian it was cold!

But you, John? Getting soft this late in the year....Oh wait, not soft...age must be creeping in....

Hugs and kisses..

Ian

Ian F.
02-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Out of the five birds I took home I could only pluck two of them, the other 3 must have been some old breeding stock as the feathers were well stuck in there. The rule of thumb is if hard to pluck it's a tough old bird. Doesn't really matter much to me as I'm turning those 3 into goose burgers tomorrow.

I put the thighs to boil last night and made a nice Acadia fricot for supper last night and finished it off for supper tonight.

For those getting into the sport the bigger birds aren't always the best eating birds. The smaller ones in the flock are usually the young from this spring and the better eating. The Spring season if you're shooting pairs chances are they're older birds.

Corned goose in jigs dinner, winner winner newfie dinner!

- 2, ahhh retirement has softened the L'acadien en vous

hugs and kisses

Ian

waistdeep
02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
man i really miss my chessi

Marc
02-12-2011, 10:14 AM
man i really miss my chessi

They do grow on you don't they, I didn't realize how different a breed of dog they were until I had one myself. Smart? OMG they're smart, you can see them thinking all the time.

I don't think you can get a more loyal breed of dog as well. Every night it doesn't matter where I sit in the living room he grabs his bone or chew toy and comes over and lays on my feet.

longshot
02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
and tougher and tougher
Lol, back in September my dad shot a Canada. It was HUGE! Also the hardest plucking bird ever, and it was like trying to eat a shoe!

Longshot jr.