PDA

View Full Version : 8-03 A Ashnola?

MichelD
07-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi,

Has anyone hunted in Ashnola area 8-03 A for sheep?

I went for a backroad adventure and hike with my wife in August several years ago and stumbled on a herd of ewes and lambs in 8-03 A and started applying there and of all things, that is what I found I was drawn for yesterday.

If anyone has hunted there I sure could use some advice, please. I didn't see any rams there the one time I was there.

Thank you,

Michel

Farmer
07-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi Michel,
Congrats on the draw. Which Season? I connected on a ram there about 5 years ago. There should be a ram group around somewhere if you prescout, but be prepared to have them scattered before opening day.You will probably also have to deal with helicopters practice landing in popular sheep areas as well. This really sucks and should never be allowed but I heard it was going on again last year. A friend was drawn last year and left after 2-3 days in disgust over lack of hunter ethics, and morons ATVing where it is not allowed. It is a beautiful area to hunt. If you want specific areas, pm me.

Gord

steel_ram
07-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Several years ago we spotted Rams from the Hwy (near from what use to be a hub cap place) in the Larcan Crk. area. To get near them we used a FSR just west of Hedley that eventually gets you close to Larcan, then a bit of a nasty grunt the rest of the way.

You may be able to get a permit from the Similkameen band office in Keromeos to access Paul Crk.

The easiest thing to do would be to try your luck on Crater Mt. (with everyone else) Sheep do live there. Vehicle access is supposed to be only legal part way up but as noted some AH's with quads are above the law. Sheep, usually ewe's and maybe a small rams are often seen heading for water in this area, especially the big draw just SW of the "road".

rchoward101
07-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I was up on crater a month or two ago just for a hike with my wife. We reached a sign on the way up that said no motorized vechicles past this point and there was a little camp set up. We parked the truck and started hiking, got to the top and some pie heads were riding their dual purpose motorbikes up there. That was lame then another couple idiots came up one on a quad the other in a f**king dune buggy. I asked them if they read the sign on the road but i was told that we were on open range country and driving up there was ok and everybody did it. You know i really don't mind quads and motorbikes that much ripping around it is cool with me if that is what u want to do. However when i make a special effort to go out of my way to hike in areas where motorized vechicles aren't supposed to be and they are there it really pisses me off. If a want to hear that nosie i'll strap a lawnmower to my back and run around the backcountry. Long and short of my rant don't use your atv in nonmotorized areas it's the law, it's lame, and it will close and already shrinking area of land available to hunt.

rob

ps who can i call/radio who will do anything about people commiting this offence... thanx guys

ursus
07-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Contact the CO office. I heard 2 weekends ago here in Kelowna 20 4x4's were given $200 fines each for driving up to the top of Little White Mtn in Okanagan Prov Park. The 4x4 club posted there upcoming foray on there website which the CO's saw. A sting was set-up and they waited for them to return off the mountain, and handed out the tickets on there way out! they even captured the truck in the front on video stopping and throwing the "closed to all motorvehicles" sign in the bush.

mainland hunter
07-10-2006, 01:00 PM
it should be a $2000 fine for quading or dirt biking in those areas, the reason for it being closed to off road vehicles is the time it takes for the vegetation in sheep areas to grow. 200 bucks is a joke.

GoatGuy
07-10-2006, 01:37 PM
ps who can i call/radio who will do anything about people commiting this offence... thanx guys

Call Jim Beck out of the Penticton office. He'll be more than happy to hand out fines. He put new signs up there last year and will probably also check to make sure they're up again this year if he hasn't already. I know the CO's were supposed to do a ride in trip there a couple weeks ago.

If there are any helicopters in there again take the ident down and report it to the CO's. They'll take care of that too.

Maxx
07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
What a bunch of Idiots! I hope that they get caught again, and the maximum fine doled out on them!:mad:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
This is certainly one example of why quads should be registered. It would make identifying the offenders and laying charges much easier. I'm not all for more red tape and beaurocratic BS but if they do implemant mandatory registration this would help to ease some of the pain.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2006, 03:47 PM
it should be a $2000 fine for quading or dirt biking in those areas, the reason for it being closed to off road vehicles is the time it takes for the vegetation in sheep areas to grow. 200 bucks is a joke.

Sounds good or how about forfeiting the quad to the crown so they can auction it off to help pay for some extra reinforcement? Wouldn't take too many modern day quads to pay for a little reinforcement help......

SSS

rchoward101
07-10-2006, 06:17 PM
thanks guys nice to see some of us are on the same page... fewer things worse to see than some big fat donuts and a half dozen cans of empty bud after humping your ass up a hill for for a couple hours in a "no motorized zone".

TherealSLYFOX
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Hello out there all you ATV bashers. Guess what there is more than one way to get to the top of Crater mtn. with an ATV or whatever else your using and there are not any signs so if your gonna complain ask how they got there first.

dana
07-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Sounds like you need to get ahold of ol' Bobcatbess on MM and he'll teach you all how to do a highcountry tuneup. :)

mainland hunter
07-12-2006, 11:07 PM
not an atv basher but when they're ripping up sensitive vegetation areas i say give em the biggest fine possible, if we can stop all those idiots maybe there will be more sheep tags available eventually.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Odds are they are NOT hunters................

SSS

GoatGuy
07-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Hello out there all you ATV bashers. Guess what there is more than one way to get to the top of Crater mtn. with an ATV or whatever else your using and there are not any signs so if your gonna complain ask how they got there first.

I thought there was only one road to the top???? Must not have been paying attention.

BCrams
07-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Seems to me we had better as Fisher-dude about these other trails over on huntshoot :D

Stone Sheep Steve
07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
I thought there was only one road to the top???? Must not have been paying attention.
There is only one road to the top. There is the other road which turns into a trail and heads to the alpine. I can't remember if you could get a quad up there or not. Odds are you could (if you're an idiot) as there aren't many places those things won't go:roll: .

SSS

bcfarmer
07-14-2006, 05:07 PM
hey guys...there are 2 roads to crater...1st crater road takes you to the push out in the road where signs are posted "no moterized vexhiles past this point" from there the road continues into the alpine.

the 2nd is the road most are referring to and is called the "hargraves" road..there are several off shoot roads that are posted with the same sign as well as in the landing near the roads end.

one of the biggest problems with crater/hargraves is that it is under the old sectin105 (not sure what its called now) which only restricts you and I...it does not restrict the local ranchers or guide outfitters(who by the way respect the signs) or other comercial interests.
people see one group up there and feel it is allright for them to go. it quickly becomes a real problem in the summer when the "hunters" are not up there to police the rules