PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Darkwoods?

Husky7mm
02-09-2011, 04:11 PM
So Darkwoods was sold to the nature trust. Does that mean it will be returned to public use? Will it be open to hunting/ fishing?

betteroffishing
02-09-2011, 04:13 PM
dont recognise the references to darkwoods or to nature trust ?? whearabouts is this piece of heaven located ??

BCrams
02-09-2011, 04:22 PM
http://www.natureconservancy.ca/site/DocServer/Darkwoods_Map.pdf?docID=2581

shekarchi
02-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Nonmotorized hunting is being considered in a small portion of the Topaz Creek area, but the vast majority of the property will remain off limits, though NCC will loosen restrictions on such non-motorized recreation as hiking and biking.

see the full article at http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/jf11/conserving_darkwoods.asp

Husky7mm
02-09-2011, 05:02 PM
oops I mean nature conservancy, is this going to be like a big private park?

Buckmeister
02-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Limited access first, then later will come NO ACCESS. It is inevitable, but eventually, in due time, we will lose our privileges in visiting the great outdoors, all in the name of conservation and preservation of the environment. This land deal is just a SMALL example of what is coming down the pipe.

kootenayelkslayer
02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
As I understand it, they're likely to open it up eventually to all forms of low-impact recreation...except hunting. Seems fair...:roll:

16ga
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
No hunting, it is private land so they have the right to keep everyone out (excluding mineral exploration). I think it is highly unlikely it will be opened to hunters, there is too strong of a conservation group involved. Currently you need written permission to enter the area, if you do not have that they can charge you with trespassing. I worked up against that area and it is enforced.

Devilbear
02-09-2011, 05:42 PM
The last time I was there, in Sept. 2009, dozens of apparently local people were driving into the area on the old Porcupine Creek Road, which is how we always went there for years before the sale to the Duke of Wurttemburg in 1967. I saw a sign, but, no attempts to enforce any restrictions on public access and it seems locals do not care what the "rules" may be concerning entry.

My youngest brother and I used to go fishing there in the late '70s and just ignored the Darkwoods patrols; I do not recognize or accept foreign "ownership" in BC and do not give a ratz azz what some guy from "Yurp" thinks about my presence anywhere in MY country!

Walking Buffalo
02-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Darkwoods
Conservation Area
Property Management Plan Summary
2010 - 2015

http://www.natureconservancy.ca/site/DocServer/Darkwoods_PMP_summary.pdf?docID=5621

Hunting

Access for non-motorized hunting will be phased in on portions of the

property in cooperation with the BC Ministry of Environment.

Mark_S
02-09-2011, 11:46 PM
It used to be that they had to keep the Porcupine creek road open so that people could access their properties at Tie. I know of several people being prosecuted for trespassing on Darkwoods property over the years. It is my understanding also that hunting will be slowly phased in over the next few years but I would not be surprised if they stopped that plan in the name of Caribou conservancy or expanded the no shooting area.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-10-2011, 07:29 AM
It used to be that they had to keep the Porcupine creek road open so that people could access their properties at Tie. I know of several people being prosecuted for trespassing on Darkwoods property over the years. It is my understanding also that hunting will be slowly phased in over the next few years but I would not be surprised if they stopped that plan in the name of Caribou conservancy or expanded the no shooting area.

Opening up the predator seasons is part of the attempted caribou recovery plan.
That point might help to open the area to hunting.

SSS

farside
02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
I could be wrong, but I thought i heard that this group was in substancial financial difficulty. Perhaps it is another such group.

Walking Buffalo
02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Opening up the predator seasons is part of the attempted caribou recovery plan.
That point might help to open the area to hunting.

SSS

Another part of the caribou recovery program is to minimize wolf densities through reduced alternative prey species populations. :wink:

tankster
02-10-2011, 10:41 AM
shot an elk 3 years ago in the back end of midge creek it ran down and crossed the river and died 300 yards on darkwoods property!!!!! guess what i did next

GoatGuy
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Huh???????

Husky7mm
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
It would be nice for all user groups to have such a large chunk of land returned to them. We dont need another park that for sure. I wonder what the some of the animal loving doners will think of hunting as a tool in the caribou recovery. Reduction of alternative prey does happen here in BC, ie revelstokes liberal deer season. I wonder what the "Duke" paid for that chunk land in 67? I wonder if there will be access to the main valleys? Should be some toads in those hills.
That is some mighty expensive caribou, millions each. It would be cheaper to transpant some new genes. Good food for the grizzlies, cougers and wolves. lol

Mark_S
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Huh???????

To clarify. The Porcupine road was kept open so people who owned property at Tie on Kootenay lake could access the area. All other areas were restricted unless you had a pass or written permission to enter the property. They gave some permits to the snowmobile clubs and fishermen but did not give access or permission to enter the property to hunters. I lived in Salmo most of my life and know several people who have been caught trespassing and charges were initially laid. Whether they followed through on the charges or not I don't know.

it is my understanding they intend to open the area up for hunting but with the caribou in the area it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't expand the Selkirk no shooting area into the former Darkwoods area since the boundary has traditionally ended at the property line.

GoatGuy
02-10-2011, 11:09 PM
To clarify. The Porcupine road was kept open so people who owned property at Tie on Kootenay lake could access the area. All other areas were restricted unless you had a pass or written permission to enter the property. They gave some permits to the snowmobile clubs and fishermen but did not give access or permission to enter the property to hunters. I lived in Salmo most of my life and know several people who have been caught trespassing and charges were initially laid. Whether they followed through on the charges or not I don't know.

it is my understanding they intend to open the area up for hunting but with the caribou in the area it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't expand the Selkirk no shooting area into the former Darkwoods area since the boundary has traditionally ended at the property line.

It doesn't really make sense to close the roads due to caribou while letting snowmobile clubs use them? Doesn't really seem like it meets any of the objectives.

Typically we're opening roads so hunters can get access to both prey and predators or closing and de-activating roads.

Farmer001
02-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Snowmobile clubs have been allowed to enter on a stewardship program. They educate as well as monitor activities in the area. There are certain no ride zones that they inform riders to stay out. It allows Darkwoods to keep a eye on the area as well and ensure riders are insured and belong to a club which boosts memberships. A win-win for snowmobile clubs and Darkwoods. Mind you what I understand this took alot of work from snowmobile clubs to get this access and maintain this access.

UncleJesse
08-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Bumping an old thread... the ownership of Darkwoods is now up in the air and I'm so excited for this! the land conservancy can die as it should!
ht tp://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/08/31/bc-land-conservancy-debt.html (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/08/31/bc-land-conservancy-debt.html)

The Canada Revenue Agency has seized the bank accounts of B.C.'s largest conservation organization because of unpaid taxes caused by its ongoing financial problems.The Land Conservancy of B.C. holds the title to 300 properties worth an estimated $32 million across the province, including the Sooke Potholes on Vancouver Island and Joy Kogawa House in Vancouver.
The Victoria-based charity's financial problems came to light three years ago, when former board members alleged the charity took out additional loans on mortgaged properties to cover operating costs and to finance more land purchases.
Earlier this year it was revealed the group had been unable to pay its property taxes on at least one property in the Victoria area, until a donor stepped forward to pick up the tab.
A new board promised to get its financial house in order, and according to board member Briony Penn, it has reduced its workforce and renegotiated deals with creditors.
But it has been unable to make settlement payments with the Canada Revenue Agency, and now its bank accounts have been seized.
Major roadblock

"The CRA freezing our account came as a real blow to us. It's a major roadblock to the plan that we had just prepared for all of our lenders, supporters and short term creditors," said Penn.
The board is meeting again next month in a last ditch effort to keep the conservation organization alive, but without new sources of funding or partnerships, if the organization if forced to closed down it may have to sell its properties with no guarantee they will be preserved.
"We've actually run out of options. We have tried everything, so it's kind of up to the public now," said Penn.
The board is investigating whether other conservation groups can take over its properties, so they won't have to be sold to private interests with no guarantees they will be preserved.
The Land Conservancy was founded in 1997 based on the model of the National Trust of Britain. The aim of the non-profit charity is to protect ecologically significant and heritage properties.
A statement on the group's website blames its financial problems in part on a decline in revenue brought on by "the economic turmoil" and "the collapse of federal and provincial grant programs."

Brambles
08-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Didn't the government go halfers on the purchase of the land from Darkwoods?

Husky7mm
08-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Should be returned to crown....... Should of never sold a piece of land that large to anyone.....

The Dude
08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Yes, the Gov't picked up a huge piece of that tab, forget what it was.
Not sure why a Non-Profit Trust would have tax problems, however.
And hunting IS allowed in Darkwoods by the Conservancy.

The Dude
08-31-2012, 10:31 PM
OK, now I got it.
Darkwoods was bought by the Nature Conservancy of Canada.
This article you posted is about the LAND Conservancy. Different deal, you're a little confused.
The total assets of TLC is $32 Million, while Darkwoods is pegged at $125 Million, with $65 Million of that put in by the NCC.