PDA

View Full Version : 8-14 for whitetail.

cowboy-up69
07-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I just wanna know some of your guys ideas on hunting 8-14 whitetail. I got drawn for there, as I know a few other ppl did, just want to know if I go up there for a weekend, am I gunna come back home with a meat deer or come home empty handed? Where and when would be the best time to go up there and get a doe? Oct 10th to Nov 20th is when the season runs. Any ideas when and where to go? Thanks
Cliff

Dirty
07-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Do Not Road Hunt! Get out of your vehicle and walk around or sit and watch. There is a lot of hunting pressure in the area and even the flat tops are spooky. I find the whitetails move a lot more in the morning or just before dark. If you find an area with a lot of sign, find a good lookout area, whether over a clear cut or open area, and just sit and watch early and late in the day.

Kirby
07-04-2006, 02:59 PM
just want to know if I go up there for a weekend, am I gunna come back home with a meat deer or come home empty handed? Cliff

That will depend on if you shoot one:mrgreen: I'll pm you an area to look at.

Kirby

cowboy-up69
07-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Perfect, thanks Dirty and Kirby.

mark
07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
hey cowboy, if you cant get a doe out of that area, you should probably quit hunting forever! Then just drive the highway home real fast around dusk and the pickup will get one for you!

cowboy-up69
07-04-2006, 03:21 PM
lol your funny mark!

Fred
07-04-2006, 03:41 PM
That is a really good area Cliff. You have an excellent chance there. Congrats. Fred

3kills
07-04-2006, 04:01 PM
very good area...like i said i will check my maps and tell u the area where abouts we went.....

Brambles
07-04-2006, 04:04 PM
You won't have any trouble shooting a doe there, thats a day hunt at best.

Walksalot
07-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I will be hunting over there from the begining of archery season so I will keep a glad eye as to where some does are and PM you later as the season progresses.

cowboy-up69
07-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks walks and brambles!

bsa30-06
07-04-2006, 05:15 PM
congrats and good luck cliff.You going to use the bow ?

cowboy-up69
07-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Yep, strictly bow huntin them, same with muleys and elk and moose!

rock
07-06-2006, 10:12 PM
My son got picked for whitetail this year, should be easy pickins last year hunting in there saw 2 other hunters all weekend mind we walked the whole time saw some nice bucks and plenty of does.

partsman
07-06-2006, 10:49 PM
I used to camp at either side of the bridge, just by where you turned to go up to Never touch lake.
Always spent two weeks during my birthday in November there.
We always got something there, I either got them by going for a walk or by sitting in one spot for a while.
One I got when I went for a walk up the road that leads to the lake, have also made the hike up to Copper Kettle lake always on my birthday, kind of a tradition.
Have spooked some big ones up there on the way to the lake, but never got a shot at one.
I put in for it, but did not get the area.
I miss going up there, everybody took one last trip there after my brother died and after spending the time remembering all the good times we had they called it quits and found new places to go without all the memories.

FullDraw
07-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Cowboy I think you want to be careful hunting up their that time of year with a bow there is a lot of hunters in there then. I would go for the bow only season and does are open then, you freeze your ass of but lots of deer around.

FullDraw

Seth
07-07-2006, 04:46 PM
8-14 is where I shot my 165 6/8 Whitetail last year. Good luck. A doe shouldn't be a problem.

cowboy-up69
07-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks for all the tips evveryone. I booked a week off work in Oct and a week in Nov from work today, I know is only a doe and easy pickins' but it will be nice to get out and explore some new country, plus, I can hunt bear, elk, moose and muleys all at the same time too so thats a bonus. Thanks!
Cliff

3kills
07-11-2006, 06:22 AM
cliff have fun should be a good fun trip for sure...i m going to be up there in october probably when about u going???

cowboy-up69
07-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Ummm I figure it out today that Im going Oct 20-23 and Nov 16-20. Cant wait, gettin so excited already. Hopefully PSE-Venom and his wife come along in Oct with me. My first trip bymyself so Im lookin forward to it!

3kills
07-11-2006, 05:38 PM
well if we are in that area at that time i will watch for ur truck....

cowboy-up69
07-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Sounds good Darcy. Hopefully ya will!

NEEHAMA
07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
i have been there eight years in a row. i see approx 40-60 deer every trip!! close enough to pet.

cwocarsten
07-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Good draw. In that area you can do it on a weekend. I have been bow and rifle hunting Midway (8-14) for 20 yrs and never come home skunked. I hunt at no name mountain by shut my mouth creek. Find a farmer up there and ask permission. Where I hunt he has a few hundred deer wintering on his property eating his cattle feed. Good Luck!

nwt2002
07-18-2006, 03:36 AM
I have been hunting there for 14 years. I have taken a deer out of there every year.
My dad and i used to go in there for 10 days in november. Tons of whitetails. if you are in there in november and there is lots of snow, hunt the valleys, if there isn't much snow hunt higher up. If it snows hard, find a dear trail,usually in a draw on the side of the mountain and sit till one comes along.

Last year I found a great spot on the last day, right next to the camp we have stayed at for years.

OH yah wear red.. keep your head down.....look out for idiots..
I have been shot at twice... walked up to by other hunters dozens of times..found 5 grow operations..1 fist fight(one of the times I was shot at)... pulled countless people out of the ditch....had drug runners come to our tent in the middle of the night to help pull them out of the ditch.

GOOD luck!!!!!!!!

My dad and I have decided that we are not going back way to many people. to bad... I love it in that country...

cowboy-up69
07-18-2006, 05:12 AM
I have been hunting there for 14 years. I have taken a deer out of there every year.
My dad and i used to go in there for 10 days in november. Tons of whitetails. if you are in there in november and there is lots of snow, hunt the valleys, if there isn't much snow hunt higher up. If it snows hard, find a dear trail,usually in a draw on the side of the mountain and sit till one comes along.

Last year I found a great spot on the last day, right next to the camp we have stayed at for years.

OH yah wear red.. keep your head down.....look out for idiots..
I have been shot at twice... walked up to by other hunters dozens of times..found 5 grow operations..1 fist fight(one of the times I was shot at)... pulled countless people out of the ditch....had drug runners come to our tent in the middle of the night to help pull them out of the ditch.

GOOD luck!!!!!!!!

My dad and I have decided that we are not going back way to many people. to bad... I love it in that country...

Thanks for the tips man. I'm deffinately gunna keep and eye out for idiots, thats the last thing I need is run into someone that has a grow op!

RiverOtter
07-18-2006, 06:42 AM
The grow ops should be all picked/raided by November, so it shouldn't be a concern. I live less than an hour from the north end of 8-14 and hunt it often. The top end of the unit has enough road hunters, but not nearly the traffic the lower end has, you can P.M. me for some spots if you want, but the whole unit has good potential so long as you lace up your boots and step off the road.

RO :)

xtremearchery
07-18-2006, 10:59 AM
I find the best time to see 100'ds of wt does and bucks is right before dark. I have hunted rock creek and midway for 15 yrs. I have always taken a deer the first day around 3:30-4:00pm. I hunt on private land, there is no presure. most of all the land owners want you to hunt thier land. They hate the deer! If you hunt with a bow, no land ower will turn you down. If your hunt is in october, head up the christian valley hwy rd and take any forest service rd. try to keep low, as you go up in elevation you will see nothing but mule deer. I agree with DIRTY, you should find an old scidder trail and walk. Any public road will be hunted hard. I like look for a good trail by a food source sit on my chair and wait. WT deer are creatures of habit and stay in the same area. Once you find where they are traveling for night, its a gaurantee!!

kishman
07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
I just wanna know some of your guys ideas on hunting 8-14 whitetail. I got drawn for there, as I know a few other ppl did, just want to know if I go up there for a weekend, am I gunna come back home with a meat deer or come home empty handed? Where and when would be the best time to go up there and get a doe? Oct 10th to Nov 20th is when the season runs. Any ideas when and where to go? Thanks
Cliff

Hey Cliff, I got drawn in 8-15 for whitetail (antlerless) I'll be in the nieghborhood maybe we can hook up.

cowboy-up69
07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Hey Cliff, I got drawn in 8-15 for whitetail (antlerless) I'll be in the nieghborhood maybe we can hook up.

Oh did ya? Whats the dates for it? Mines Oct 10 to Nov 20th.

Jelvis
07-18-2006, 07:18 PM
According to my cousin who lives up there he tells me to go up on Hwy 3 at Eholt Station up to Jewel Lake, he said its a good whitetail road. The locals should know it is, I really like hunting mule deer.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Lots of deer and hunters in the Christian Valley. Look for areas outside of the Christian Valley within 8-14. Get off the roads into couple year old logging areas, find a comfortable spot with a good view and sit and wait. One will find you. First hour/last hour of light will likely be when they are moving when under pressure.