PDA

View Full Version : Non-Resident Hunting Permit....Bighorns??

MountainHigh
02-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Heard a story... from a 'friend of a friend'. Trying to figure out if it is true or not.

Can you get a permit to hunt sheep in region 4 if you (the son), live in the Yukon (permanent resident) but your Father lives here in BC? I know this can be for other species but I heard this fellow actually got one for Bighorns!!

Kinda scratching my head on this...:-?

Whonnock Boy
02-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Yes, it is true. Not many permits are given out every year though. Every thing you need to know and do is at the link.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/accompany_hunt.html#a1

bighornbob
02-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Yes, it is true. Not many permits are given out every year though. Every thing you need to know and do is at the link.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/accompany_hunt.html#a1

Although they list bighorn sheep under royalty fee, I doubt very much one would be issued. I have heard no sheep tags anywhere are let out. If they let out a Rocky tag, they would have to let out Stone Sheep tags as there are way more of them.

Another reson I doubt it happened is the outfitters would be all over, especially a bighorn tag.

BHB

GoatGuy
02-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Although they list bighorn sheep under royalty fee, I doubt very much one would be issued. I have heard no sheep tags anywhere are let out. If they let out a Rocky tag, they would have to let out Stone Sheep tags as there are way more of them.

Another reson I doubt it happened is the outfitters would be all over, especially a bighorn tag.

BHB

I was under the impression that's the way it is as well, however permits have been issued in the past.

oclarkii
02-08-2011, 09:45 AM
I asked this exact question 2 years ago (Dad from AB), talked to a guy at the Permit and Authorization Bureau. He said no sheep tags, no way.

budismyhorse
02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
PTA for bighorns are a thing of the past.......they used to give them out but a certain organization had them squashed for thinhorns and then the certain organization in turn had them squashed for bighorns a few years later. Back room deal, nothing in black and white, just all of the sudden........its off the table.

At one point I had the meeting minutes sent to me from the MOE in the north (FOIA).......it was on the table for many many meetings, negotiating back and forth, then suddenly it was stamped out without further talks or anyone knowing about it.

strange how that works.

its a dead issue, so don't waste your time.

Whonnock Boy
02-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Interesting...... I called the MOE last year and inquired about it, specifically for sheep. They said to get the permit in early, and the only region off limits was the Skeena.

willy442
02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
PTA for bighorns are a thing of the past.......they used to give them out but a certain organization had them squashed for thinhorns and then the certain organization in turn had them squashed for bighorns a few years later. Back room deal, nothing in black and white, just all of the sudden........its off the table.

At one point I had the meeting minutes sent to me from the MOE in the north (FOIA).......it was on the table for many many meetings, negotiating back and forth, then suddenly it was stamped out without further talks or anyone knowing about it.

strange how that works.

With residents claiming all the sheep. Why would we give them away to a non?

budismyhorse
02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
quick......someone delete this thread before a guy from Ontario comes on blasting away about his intrinsic right as a Canadian to hunt BC game........

Its a dead issue, why discuss it.

boxhitch
02-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Sweet.....real sweet
With residents claiming all the sheep..............

Kody94
02-08-2011, 04:11 PM

strange how that works.

It sucks alright, but my bro' in Whitehorse can't take me for a Yukon Stone or Dall either, so it serves 'em friggen Klondikers right. :wink: lol

Seriously though, it would be great if I could take my bro' for a sheep in BC and he could return the favor in the Yukon.....but it isn't resident hunters keeping that from happening. :)

d6dan
02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
It sucks alright, but my bro' in Whitehorse can't take me for a Yukon Stone or Dall either, so it serves 'em friggen Klondikers right. :wink: lol

Seriously though, it would be great if I could take my bro' for a sheep in BC and he could return the favor in the Yukon.....but it isn't resident hunters keeping that from happening. :)

Yup, been there with my Bro when he lived in Faro in the late 70's.. Sheep all over the place, but couldn't hunt them :?. sucks.