PDA

View Full Version : Short vs Long Action and Shotgun Chokes

BuckEye
02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Some back to basics question from a 70's revived newb.
Going to buy a new rifle this summer in anticipation of an exhilarating 2011 season of hunting. My current rifle (32 winchester special, open sights and field proven again in 2010) was used by people who watched the original Bonanza, wondered why the Lone ranger really enjoyed Tonto's company so much, and who held John Wayne in high accord.
I've been doing research on calibers (Cabala's Catalogue on the loo) and have learned some. Couple questions..
#1. Short vs long action rounds. Both appear to reach some similar velocities. Can someone break down the pro's and cons.

#2. Shotgun chokes and the basic principle and types. Where one may be used over another.

Thanks all..

greenhorn
02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
If you look through the gun talk forums on this site you can find alot of good info related to this stuff.

Have not alot of personal experience with shotguns so can't really help.

On the short action versus long action question - there's been alot of back and forth on the site about it.

Some of the "pros" of the shorties that pop up are: shorter overall gun length and therefore lighter gun, shorter, more efficient bullet casings and more efficient powder burn and energy transfer to bullet, and depending on the calibre some people feel you can get better long range performance out of some of the shorts. Some of the "cons" include: pricey ammo, especially if you buy factory stuff, some people fear lack of ammo availability, and some people talk about feeding issues with some cartridges (but there are mixed reviews on that one).

I researched the long action versus short action, and magnum versus classic thing to death last month in preparation for a new rifle purchase. In the end, I went with the classic 30-06 for a few reasons: wide range of available bullet weights, decent trajectory over the ranges that I'd actually shoot at, lots of energy for knock down of bc game, ammo is available absolutely everywhere.

Also read somewhere that the 30-06 was the calibre of choice for sniping and military use for a long time - which is impressive when you're talking to chicks :mrgreen:.

02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
#2. Shotgun chokes and the basic principle and types. Where one may be used over another.

Thanks all..

Full choke: for pass shooting ducks or turkey hunting. Gets the distance.
My great uncle when he took the kids out upland hunting
used a full choke, He would let the kids shoot and miss
then hed hit it with the old 1912 full choke 20ga

Modifyed: If you had to buy a fixed barrel id get a modifyed. Most
versitile "Medium" Range. Great for Ducks landen' in the deeks
grouse hunting etc.

Improved: kinda the exact oppisite of a full. Good if your hunting
tight cover over a pointer. but your pattern is wide

cylinder bore: good on the Defender to hold up 7-11 but thats it!

Full is the tightest pattern and cylinder bore is the widest at a given distance. Where they fit in your sceem of hunting is up to you. There are many more uses for the different chokes above i just put a couple for you.

Singleshotneeded
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
In addition, the short mag rifles are said to be a bit more accurate because there's less flex in the action when shooting, but the ammo is more expensive, not available everywhere, and in some rifles they've had jams whilst feeding. I agree the 30.06 is an excellent, versatile calibre.
Regarding shotguns, I use a modified (medium range) choke for grouse early in the season, and move to a full choke later on when they start getting more skittish, and shots get longer. Rabbits are usually a longer shot, so I screw in the full choke when hunting them.

BuckEye
02-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Great info and thanks...
I've read many of the caliber threads and am slowly learning what people like and why. I have pretty much selected my new caliber (30-06) for many of the reason given already. Had someone recommend a short action caliber, and thought I would do some research.

I think the second new purchase will be the modified shotgun choke type as it would appear to be the more versatile for my needs.

Thanks Guys