PDA

View Full Version : smoking..............

newhunterette
02-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I have really been having a wonderful time with my smoker, smoking fish and meats but I was watching the food network(big surprise) and I saw a guy smoking onions and making a smokey onion dip from them. I just happend to be getting ready to stick 2 deer roasts in the smoker when I decided to give the onion thing a whirl.

wow what a great idea, has anyone else ever tried this, it sweetens up the burn of an onion and adds a beautiful smokey flavour to dips and sauces.

these beauties are peeled, that golden colour is the smoking

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/Floor%20Nightmare/DSC_0392.jpg

Spy
02-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Looks Yummy I think I will give it a whirl! Thanks for the idea!

walnutz
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
MMMM sounds good,how long did you put them in the smoker for?Im doing a batch of deer jerky this weekend so i might aswell try a few onions.

Kyle84
02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
It really does sound good. Something so simple, never thought of it myself, thats for sharing!

newhunterette
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
MMMM sounds good,how long did you put them in the smoker for?Im doing a batch of deer jerky this weekend so i might aswell try a few onions.

I had them in for about 1.5 hours, they come out with such a nice texture and no strong onion smell, just plenty of smokey flavours :)

ruger#1
02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Are you going to get Peter to put a drive through window on the side of your house. I have to stop looking at your cooking posts. It's making me hungry.

Bow Walker
02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I watched that same show. "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" hosted by Guy Fiere(sp?). Love it. I've seen and used many ideas from the show.

For those that don't have a smoker....the same technique can be done on the stove top with soaked wood chips, some aluminum foil and a bit of low-to-medium heat.

p.s.
peel the onions before you smoke them - whether int he smoker or on top of the stove.

newhunterette
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Are you going to get Peter to put a drive through window on the side of your house. I have to stop looking at your cooking posts. It's making me hungry.

our house has open door policy, if you show up near supper time, door opens and I feed you :)

I watched that same show. "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" hosted by Guy Fiere(sp?). Love it. I've seen and used many ideas from the show.

For those that don't have a smoker....the same technique can be done on the stove top with soaked wood chips, some aluminum foil and a bit of low-to-medium heat.

p.s.
peel the onions before you smoke them - whether int he smoker or on top of the stove.

hehehehe yup that was the show - I love that Guy, he is hilarious

Peter Pepper
02-08-2011, 11:20 AM
mmmmm, good idea. Especially as my girl bought me a digital bradly for my b-day yesterday!
On the bradly box they show a bell pepper in the smoker. that might be good too

newhunterette
02-08-2011, 11:49 AM
mmmmm, good idea. Especially as my girl bought me a digital bradly for my b-day yesterday!
On the bradly box they show a bell pepper in the smoker. that might be good too

a roasted or smoked bell pepper would be incredible flavour, smoke enough so the flavour gets into the pepper but not so much that it becomes soft, then stuff the pepper with your favourite ground venison and brown rice mixture (dont forget to chop a few smoked onions into the mixture), make a nice heart chipolte sauce to pour over the stuffed peppers and bake until pepper then becomes tender :)

just a thought quickly for peppers

sawmill
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Well I just put my home made bacon in the smoker and sat down and read this post so I quickly peeled an onion and ran out and put it in too.
I love smoking food,haven`t bought that crappy store bacon for a copuple of years now.Once you taste what bacon used to be like you will never go back.

newhunterette
02-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Well I just put my home made bacon in the smoker and sat down and read this post so I quickly peeled an onion and ran out and put it in too.
I love smoking food,haven`t bought that crappy store bacon for a copuple of years now.Once you taste what bacon used to be like you will never go back.

mmmmmmmmm home made bacon mmmmmmmmmmm

phoenix
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Three cheers for Guy!!!!!! I too do onions in the smoker, in a word "Awesome". I also do a few hot peppers in there for chipotle's. They make the most amazing chili. I just made a chipotle/venison/veggie/barley soup which is tonights dinner, mmmmmmmm.
Kim

nano
02-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Almost complete on building my smoker, Cant waite to try this onion trick!

BillyBull
02-11-2011, 08:42 PM
These posts always make me hungry and I just finished eating.:-D One of these days all these great recipes and smoker tricks need to make it into the 2nd publication of the HBC cookbook.:wink:

Doe
02-11-2011, 08:56 PM
These posts always make me hungry and I just finished eating.:-D One of these days all these great recipes and smoker tricks need to make it into the 2nd publication of the HBC cookbook.:wink:

Hmmm......Id buy that. Whos in charge?

newhunterette
02-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Hmmm......Id buy that. Whos in charge?

It is Marc's decision.

ufishifish2
03-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Hands down Ali is in charge. This time even Marc doesn't get a say in the matter!

"our house has open door policy, if you show up near supper time, door opens and I feed you :smile: "

Where the heck is Aldergrove anyways????

rifleman
03-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Hands down Ali is in charge. This time even Marc doesn't get a say in the matter!

"our house has open door policy, if you show up near supper time, door opens and I feed you :smile: "

Where the heck is Aldergrove anyways????
sounds good hope it gets done. I'll buy one.

rifleman
03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Ok I can't take it any more. gettin the smoker out now. onions & peppers
goin in soon. Thanx for the great idea.

weatherby_man
03-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Ya me too, and I'm salivating now thinking of what I might just try.

Thanks!

nano
03-05-2011, 06:18 PM

I tried this last weekend and it was amazing! I had it as a side with smoked chicken:wink: