PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Go Sturgeon Fishing on the Fraser Again

One Shot
02-06-2011, 11:35 PM
I am looking at trying some Sturgeon fishing again. I have done some sturgeon years ago mostly from river bars and a little from a boat.

Is a Bayliner 2452 too big of a boat to fish sturgeon on the Fraser River from? I have been on the river enough to know the most common boats that are used for fishing, unfortunately do not have one in my fleet at the moment although I also have an 17.5' run about with an o/b but the 2452 has all the ammenities.

We currently have a 17# Bruce style anchor with 50' of 1/4 chain/300' of rope on the boat, will this anchor work to hold a Bayliner 2452 on the river?

Are the river anchors that are made of square tubing and flatbar adeqaute for holding a Bayliner 2452 on the river?

Is the Bayliner 2452 too big of a boat to fish sturgeon from?

Any comments from experience fisherman would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Barracuda
02-06-2011, 11:56 PM
wont be a problem in fact it will probably be really comfy. see guys in and around the mission bridge and lower all the time in the big Fg boats.
Dont go too far up past mission bridge and stay on the deep side not the channels .

As for anchor im not sure if thats gonna do it but there is one way to find out.

Mtn Wonderer
02-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Fred's tackle has 30 foot boat they use in and around mission for sturgeon.

Your boat will do fine up to the sumas mountain quarry and most anywhere down river of the that. Catherwood towing runs tugs right into Harrison lake from Mission. If you are brave.

But there seems to be good fishing for sturgeon just down river of the quarry on the south side of the river.

Also on the north side of the river just past the mission bridge on the
north side mid way down the log booms.

Last place would be just down river of Matsqui Island in the south part of the channel only approach from the down river end.

The guides that have 24-26' river boats usually have an added bar on there anchor so it weighs about sixty pound they also have 20-30 feet of chain before goiing to the anchor line.

The launch at mission will handle large boats easliy, However it makes it nicer if you can work the tide for launch and recovery.

I know this area well because I have mapped the bottom of the river
in this area numerous times. ( Hydrographic Surveyor)

MTW

srupp
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
hmmm so where ARE those deep holes the BIG sturgeon love to lay in ???

Steven

One Shot
02-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Our draft boat has a 3' draft. We have depth sounders and GPS (latest version issued May 2010) but I would assume that the bottom changes from time to time.

"Catherwood towing runs tugs right into Harrison lake from Mission. If you are brave." ........Is this because of the tugs and booms on the river or the river itself. I understood you could pilot a boat al the way into the Harrison.

I been up tp Abby in the boat a couple of times. Is there any fuel docks in the area?

I am fortunate to have a trailer for the boat so I could pull it out and relaunch elswhere. I will go and look at the launch in Mission. Towing would be cheaper than running up river.

We have gone in to the stores to look at rods reels and tackle to replace/update our old gear.

Island Redneck
02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
When is a good time to go sturgeon fishing and is there anyone one this forum that charters for sturgeon. I am looking to take my 2 grand sons sturgeon fishing.

Leaseman
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
When is a good time to go sturgeon fishing and is there anyone one this forum that charters for sturgeon. I am looking to take my 2 grand sons sturgeon fishing.

Depending on the balance of our "winter"....:mrgreen:.... I will start sturgeon fishingbetween February26 and March 12th......a couple of weeks of weather a little warmer and less rain and we should be hitting more and more fish! March to end of May can be good depending on when freshet hits this year... Last year we started due to the warm winter around third week of February and for the next 6-8 weeks had many 20+ fish days. Being a pink year, late August right through to mid November is also a hot time!!

There is a couple of guides here.... hopefully one or two will respond to you or I can put you in touch with a couple!

Mike

Leaseman
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I am looking at trying some Sturgeon fishing again. I have done some sturgeon years ago mostly from river bars and a little from a boat.

Is a Bayliner 2452 too big of a boat to fish sturgeon on the Fraser River from? I have been on the river enough to know the most common boats that are used for fishing, unfortunately do not have one in my fleet at the moment although I also have an 17.5' run about with an o/b but the 2452 has all the ammenities.

We currently have a 17# Bruce style anchor with 50' of 1/4 chain/300' of rope on the boat, will this anchor work to hold a Bayliner 2452 on the river?

Are the river anchors that are made of square tubing and flatbar adeqaute for holding a Bayliner 2452 on the river?

Is the Bayliner 2452 too big of a boat to fish sturgeon from?

Any comments from experience fisherman would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Your boat has no problem with any of the lower river up to Sumas Flats..... not sure on the type of anchor you have.... depending on the area you fish you can run anywhere from 0.5-3.5 knot current.... will your anchor hold you in this??Also, not knowing you boat, how high are the sides? Are you able to lean over to release a fish???

Also, if you are looking for gear here in the LML, I have a good contact (great pricing).... let me know!

Mike

Leaseman
02-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Fred's tackle has 30 foot boat they use in and around mission for sturgeon.

Your boat will do fine up to the sumas mountain quarry and most anywhere down river of the that. Catherwood towing runs tugs right into Harrison lake from Mission. If you are brave.

But there seems to be good fishing for sturgeon just down river of the quarry on the south side of the river.

Also on the north side of the river just past the mission bridge on the
north side mid way down the log booms.

Last place would be just down river of Matsqui Island in the south part of the channel only approach from the down river end.

The guides that have 24-26' river boats usually have an added bar on there anchor so it weighs about sixty pound they also have 20-30 feet of chain before goiing to the anchor line.

The launch at mission will handle large boats easliy, However it makes it nicer if you can work the tide for launch and recovery.

I know this area well because I have mapped the bottom of the river
in this area numerous times. ( Hydrographic Surveyor)

MTW

How long ago were you doing the mapping??

Mike

Ronforca
02-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Up from the Mission bridge at the first bend it is very deep and a lot of big Sturgean come out of there.Use your sounder and find where it is deepest.I can't remember but I think over 60 ft.My biggest one from there was 6ft.6in.I was using smelt sprayed with WD40.WD40 really works but I do not know if it is legal.

leatherlungs
02-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Pm Curly Top he may be able to help you out.

fearnodeer
02-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I've gone with hook line & sinker suppliers took me and this year i sent some of my guys as well and when i whent we landed 18 and my guys landed 23 i don't know if he's on this site but it is an option. Great times

Jetboater
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
I work for STS guiding in the valley...a few members have fished with me over the years.... just remember the fall this year starting in september will be crazy good fishing as the sturgeon follow the pinks in...
the canyon in july can be epic sturgeon fishing in july as well...fresh bait will make all the difference.... your 2452 will be fine for all the water from the mouth of the vedder down....

Leaseman
02-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I work for STS guiding in the valley...a few members have fished with me over the years.... just remember the fall this year starting in september will be crazy good fishing as the sturgeon follow the pinks in...
the canyon in july can be epic sturgeon fishing in july as well...fresh bait will make all the difference.... your 2452 will be fine for all the water from the mouth of the vedder down....

Well I was hoping you would jump in here Thomas!

A little plug for Thomas....
If you want someone who can get you into fish, who is entertaining and relaxed to be around.... well get to Thomas through STS, you won't be dissappointed!

Mike

Island Redneck
02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info. on Sturgeon Guides, I appreciate it.

02-13-2011, 12:09 AM
what kind of fresh bait?

One Shot
02-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. Went out and looked at Rods and Reels now to make a choice.....

srupp
02-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I second Leasmans recomendation of Thomas for sturgeon guiding...caught so many sturgeon I could hardly tie my shoes the next morning..arms were falling off..:mrgreen: VERY KNOWLEGABLE, personable....and superb boat and gear...HIGHLY RECOMENDED....

cheers
Steven Rupp:mrgreen:

One Shot
02-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Well the wife came home tonite with a Shimano Technium 8' 80# rod and a Shimano TLD 20 level wind reel for my upcoming birthday this weekend. She apparently was listening when we went out looking at tackle and gear a couple weeks ago. Great lady, I am a lucky man.:-D

Leaseman
02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Well the wife came home tonite with a Shimano Technium 8" 80# rod and a Shimano TLD 20 level wind reel for my upcoming birthday this weekend. She apparently was listening when we went out looking at tackle and gear a couple weeks ago. Great lady, I am a lucky man.:-D

That is a good combo that you got..... congrats!

Mike

srupp
02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
hmmm I got the same rod for my Birthday from an exellent friend a couple years ago..

Happy Birthday and CONGRADULATIONS ON A WIFE WHO LISTENS..

cheers
Steven

bforce750
02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
what kind of fresh bait?

Pink salmon gills and heart work awsome, thats what I use that time of year because that is their main source of food that time of year...good luck