PDA

View Full Version : coyotes with mange

kwasky
02-06-2011, 04:34 PM
How many of you guys have seen or shot coyotes with mange? I called in my first yote 2 weeks ago and put him to sleep. He had hardly any hair on his tail and his body was all patchy and he was fairly skinny. Just wondering how common this is in BC?

thanks.

ruger#1
02-06-2011, 04:35 PM
There are a few like that here in the valley. I wonder if they can survive the cold.

Chuck
02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Definitely not unheard of and you probably did him a favor anyway. I've popped a few - winter as well as summer and they were always in poor physical shape. So I'm not certain what initiates the condition, probably infection due to poor health/age.

Ride Red
02-06-2011, 05:49 PM
I wacked one a few years back that had less hair on him then I do. Ever see those poodle show dogs with just a little hair on the head and tail??? Now just think of seeing this bald rodent trotting towards you. Kind of humerous to see, but you have to feel sorry for the poor bugger too.

bobak
02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I saw a coyote that looked bald 2 weeks ago walking up my street in Abbotsford.

Pete
02-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Most folks see mange it its' later stages, lack of hair, bald patches and scabby. The on set of sarcoptic mange is typified as a pink or reddish groin and armpit areas. For those of us in the business a Coyote with a good coat but with a pink belly has no fur value. As of yesterday morning I have taken 76 coyotes, 41 I have sold either privately or at auction the rest have had mange with no fur value.

trapperRick
02-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Mange is what coyotes get when they get too thick/too many of them in one area natures way of thinning them out saw it in Sask quite a bit when coyotes got to be to many

Drillbit
02-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Pete summed it up pretty good. More common than you think.

Also, shouldn't handle them.

Ride Red
02-06-2011, 08:53 PM
A little read on mange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange