PDA

View Full Version : Grinding plate hole size

highcountry88
02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Need some help for a sausage noob..... I used venison for a couple of recipes of bratwurst, chorizo and breakfast and formed patties to fry 'em up.... Tasted ok, but I put too litttle pork.... I did not realize how lean venison is on it's own. Once I boosted the pork content, it was a big improvement.

I am thinking the grind is too fine.... What grinding plate hole size/s are usually used for breakfast and chorizo? Thanks for the help.

Bow Walker
02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
It depends on the type of "texture" that you want your sausage to have. A finer texture, like store bought? A chewier texture with more "mouth feel"?

Finer texture comes from a grind plate that has holes about the size of a small drinking straw. Bigger (coarser) textured meat comes from a grinder plate that has holes about the size of a pencil.

It's all really a matter of personal preference.

TyTy
02-06-2011, 06:13 PM
3/8" would be ideal . I think 1/4 is common to find.

Steeleco
02-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I like my sausage on the finer side, I put mine through twice sometimes three times.

Try using regular ground beef in lieu of pork. Mr.Dean told me about it once, one try and I never went back to pork.

OOBuck
02-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I use about a 20% pork fat mix and grind them with a 10mm coarse plate. I like a commercial texture to mine..

islander338
02-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I prefer to mix my venision with regular ground beef over pork.

eastkoot
02-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Once with coarse disk, mix thoughly then run it thru the fine disc.. That's how we prefer it.. Here's a good video on how to do it..
https://www.hicountry.com/spices-fresh-ground-sausage.html (https://www.hicountry.com/spices-fresh-ground-sausage.html)

BillyBull
02-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Grind twice... pork tends to be salty and I too switched to using regular beef years ago.... I have even blended portions of pork, along with beef fat and vension to get different flavors.

Crimson Viking
02-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Chorizo tends to be quite a bit on the coarse side, bfast would probably be a medium single grind

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I like beef or pork grind to add to my wild game sausages. I bought a whole pig and ground the whole thing up, keeping it very lean. I add 2 pounds pork for every 10 pounds game in most of my recipes. I find pork to be a little bit moister than beef.
Some of my fresh sausages need more of the pork or beef grind since the game can be too dry at times.
It can take years to perfect one recipe. Always take notes each time and rate your sausage in your notes so next time you could try something a little different.