PDA

View Full Version : Gut a bear

steelheadSABO
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Just wondering if you are going to get a rug mount done on a bear is there a certain place to stop while gutting ?

NoLimit99
02-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Not a bad question here's my answer. Education is key

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm

Just wondering if you are going to get a rug mount done on a bear is there a certain place to stop while gutting ?

emerson
02-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Good info. Thanks.

BiG Boar
02-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I have cut a few rugs and have yet to gut a bear. Cut your rug and go gutless, you'll never go back.

stoneguide
02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I have cut a few rugs and have yet to gut a bear. Cut your rug and go gutless, you'll never go back.

X2 .

Allen50
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
stop gutting when all the guts are on the ground, then start skinning, and off to the rug shop.. good luck.

NitwiT
02-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Stoneguide and BigBoar, mind clarifying what you mean when you say go gutless?

I've been involved with caping and gutting two bears so far, we gutted, then skinned. Is there a better method?

Mark

bigwhiteys
02-15-2011, 09:39 AM

I've been involved with caping and gutting two bears so far, we gutted, then skinned. Is there a better method?

Mark

Just go straight to caping (up belly, down arms, etc...) and then cut the quarters off when you're done. Guts all stay packaged up within the Torso and you've got the edible portions. You might not see all the worms either this way.

Really simple... Just skip the gutting and proceed to skinning.

Carl

BlacktailStalker
02-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Thats what they mean.

BiG Boar
02-15-2011, 02:16 PM

Mark

I've done the guttless method on most all of my animals. I think my first 2 or 3 big game animals I gutted.

1. Are you eating the guts? If you are, then you have to gut it. If not eating heart/liver/kidneys, learn the guttless method.

2. Are you eating the ribs? If you are then you will likley have to gut the animal. Most animals I shoot there are giant holes in the ribs and very little meat wasted by not taking the ribs, especially low demand for bear ribs. If you are eating the ribs, gut it.

3. Can you take all 4 quarters, loins, and tenderloins, and neck meat without gutting? Yes. Just start skinning out your rug/removing hide and then once the skin is off, cut the legs off and loins like you would normally do. Throw all meat into a big home made pillow case (sewn from bedsheets) and hang in a tree.

4. Less stinky, especially on gut shot animals. No way to cut the piss sack or sh*t sack while gutting, (better tasting meat) and twice as fast as gutting. With our moose this year, and these are the first moose I have hunted, we would shoot the moose and have it loaded on the quad/horse within an hour. Some people its takes like 12 hours.

5. Lots of threads on here, search "gutless" Its very easy to do, you just need a knife. Once you do it once, you'll never gut another animal.