PDA

View Full Version : Irish Setter Boots.

spock
02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm looking at a pair of Irish setter Elk tracker boots with 600 grams of thinsulate. What sort of temperature range do you think this would be comfortable in. I'm looking for something for moose in october and deer in november. No peace country deer hunts or bison hunts in the near future.

bsa30-06
02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I have a pair of irish setters with 800 grams and never have had cold or wet feet.Have been out in the snow , rain, sleet, walked thru creeks, and probably temps down to minus 15.

Phil
02-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I think mine have 1000 grams and they work well in cold temps. Great boots.

slowkey
02-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I've had a pair of the 1000 gram for 5 yrs. great investment. walked around in a creek all day and feet were nice and dry and warm (the only part of me that was dry)

kodimack
02-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I've got a pair of Elk Tracker boots by I.S. 1000gr ins. best boots I have had so far.

cavebear
02-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I have the 600's used up in the barrier area late october lows of -12 or so and the feet were very warm. :-D

Happy hunting :-D

mike_b
02-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I've got the same boots as Phil; 1000 grams. They've been through everything you could encounter while hunting and have never failed. I'd definately buy them again.

ruger#1
02-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Glad this thread came up. My elk stalkers are 1000grms, They are new,I have had them for back ups for my rockies. If you wear the bottoms out like i did then it is good to get some backup boots. You can also get your boots resoled for around $40.00

ape
02-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I have the 600 grams and if you buy proper moisture wicking sock as i did you will never have to worry about temperature. I have been in everything from plus 20 hiking Robson to late season elk at minus 22 with about a 30 km wind and it wasn't my feet that needed heating up.

MuleyMadness
02-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I love my Irish Setters (800g), and I have hard to please feet. In fact I can honestly say they are the most comfortable footwear I own, with the exception of some old ass leather walking sandals, and that includes my $600 pair of custom made work boots (haven't seen a boot with a metal shank yet, custom or not that doesn't suck though). Only thing with mine, is you must treat them 2x a year or so (I use them a lot) for them to remain fully waterproof.

Buy some, I doubt you will be disappointed.

RJ
02-05-2011, 07:41 PM
I have a pair of the 1000g's.
They are super comfortable, but smoking hot unless its pretty cold out.
I don't like any insulation over 10 degrees or so, so I would guess the 600's will go from -10 to +5 or +10 if you don't mind sweaty feet.

Ferenc
02-06-2011, 02:45 PM
They are a good boot,I have the 1000 gr also,the price is also reasonable too!! They do come on sale once in a while at Redwings ...the boob soles work good on the steep snow covered slopes and keep the feet warm and dry!!!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Anyone try the 200 gr ? . .i think 1000 would be way to hot for the early mid fall time ..id like to try the elk tracker without , use good socks .seems like a good price too .do they last ?

buzz720
02-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I have the 800 gram boots and they worked pretty on my elk hunt two weeks ago and I didn't notice the cold and it was about -15, it was a little chilly though the last morning when we left and it was -30

BCBear
02-11-2011, 08:56 AM
double check them. I bought a pair of elktrackers and was happy as a clam, got home and discovered faulty stitching near the top of the inner boot on the inside, it was like the sewing machine hiccupped and lost it's way up the inside. WSS refunded the $ right away, Unfortunatlely they had no more of my size, I bought some KEENS instead and lovem to death.

02-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Couldnt really tell you what Irish setter i have. Been too long since i bought them and i only look at then to tie them on my feet!

Im thinking 1000g's, the only complaint i have with them is when you are slogging wet on the island and goin up a hill they get heavy. But mink oil them before the season and after it and mine have lasted 6 years? or so.

Samsquantch
02-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I have the 200 thinsulates. I only had them out a few time from september to november. Like someone said, with good merino wool wicking socks they are great no issues with cold or wet feet. Much lighter than my old mans meindels but his are pretty old school.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
i think the 1000 would be too hot . i dont own a pair but if i got some id probly just go from the non-thinsulate with good socks . or just the 200 .

Iron Glove
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I've got two pair of Irish Setters.
A pair of hi cuts in 800 and lo cuts in 200.
The 800 are my favorites for all round hunting and hiking in late fall to early spring. I use them more often than my Sorels in the deep snow. Way, way too hot if its much above zero.
The lo cuts are great summer, early fall for me.
I do have problems with circulation in my extremities like fingers and toes ( fortunately doesn't affect the other important extremity :mrgreen: ) so I probably have to have more insulation than most.

wolverine
02-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I love mine. Once a year I'll give the uppers a shot of waterproof spray just to maintain them and I'll mink oil the bottoms. Probably just a hold over from the old days but I have never had them leak, the leather stays supple and doesn't crack that way. Plenty warm too. Good socks go a long way too though.

Tikatack
02-12-2011, 12:33 AM
i have the 600's and theyre great. Not good for horse back and a little heavy, but sturdy and abuse resistant. I think I'd look into the filson's for a similar but lighter boot. Can't complain about them though, and they replaced Canada Pro Meindl's

Old Crow
02-12-2011, 12:51 AM
I've had my Setters for about ten years, still use ém on elk and deer trips. Need a lot of waterproofing after the third or fourth year though, but that can be said of my Meindls and my Red Wing work boots too. Good investment, a good boot for the money. Sat in tree stands in -22 when they were new-ish. gets a little cold after 3 hrs tho :D

buford19
02-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Warmest boots ive ever wore. 1000 gram elk trackers. Cold feet is a weak spot for me.

Fixit
03-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Recommended grams of 3M™ Thinsulate™ Insulation for footwear:

200 grams* for cool conditions or high activity levels – Recommended for work boots‚ hiking boots‚ rubber bottom boots‚ hunting boots‚ snowboard boots‚ alpine ski boots‚ or athletic winter boots.
400 grams* for cold conditions or moderate activity levels – Recommended for rubber bottom boots‚ hiking boots‚ PAC boots‚ hunting boots‚ or work boots.
600 grams* for very cold conditions – Recommended for hiking boots‚ work boots‚ hunting boots‚ or PAC boots.
800 grams* for extremely cold conditions with light activity levels – Recommended for hunting boots‚ PAC boots‚ or work boots.
1‚000+ grams* for extremely cold conditions with light to minimal activity level – Recommended for unique applications requiring additional insulation.
* Grams per square meter of insulation

betteroffishing
03-16-2011, 07:48 AM
1000 gr would be great if you were sitting on stand in the dead of winter or out on a frozen lake ice fishing then .

Rugernator
03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Ive got a pair of Irish setter 600's .. Very comfortable, durable and warm.

BlackwaterMerc
03-16-2011, 09:25 PM
I have a pair of 800g, and use them at work on a construction site, I know no steel toes but **** it, when its -30 out and your in 12 inchs of mud and water you want comfortable warm dry boots, and these are them, amazing boots, the fit so well. Buy them.

mikeboehm
03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
i have 2 pairs of irish setter elk trackers 1000 gram and shadow trek 800 gram best boots ive owned. had rocky boots and they leaked and fell apart

todbartell
03-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I just picked up some Danner Canadians in 600g. Took them for a 10km dog walk the other day in +5 temps and they're weren't too warm. I was wearing a medium weight merino wool sock

I'm gonna pick up a pair of 200g Irish Setter Elk Trackers for this fall, should be a good early to mid season boot.

Foxton Gundogs
03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Just went to Wholesale Sport to get a pair of early season boots TRIED to try on a couple of pairs of I.S. 200G.s(dont remember the style name) looked like great boots BUT the upper shafts were so nerrow I couldnt get my feet into them and believe me I dont have overly wide feet or high arches. Anyone else run into this??

rred
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM
I use Gore Tex Gaiters by Outdoor Research to insure that no moisture wicks up the bottom of my pants into my socks ($60-75). Those along with my Setters, I have never been uncomfortable.

Jonny outdoors
04-02-2011, 11:41 PM
I bought a pair of Irish setter tracker four years ago ,got them from the red wing store in burnaby. After breaking them in for the summer I took them on our elk trip ten days in the seems started coming apart on the toe. Once I got home I took them back and they replaced them. The next year the same thing happened the out side of the boots started falling apart in the same spot,when I goy home the salesman at the red wing store suggested that I spend a little extra and get the kangaroo leather Irish Setters , so I did well long story short the boots got wet and I dried them out by the fire one night once we got back to camp and the boots shrunk to the point I couldn't wear them again. Both pairs of boots were very comfortable and water proof.I got so sick of breaking in new boots that I coughed up a couple of extra bucks and got a pair of Canada Pros from AJ brooks.

My Canada Pros now have roughly 300 kms worth of hiking / hunting and I would not go back.

Chad