PDA

View Full Version : Where is Pitt Marsh?

fowlweather
02-05-2011, 11:45 AM
hi i have been looking at some pictures at where people hunt, i hunt along the serpentine in surrey but what i am wondering is where the pitt marsh is? i know its a public place but i dont know where it is and how to access it? any help helps!:-D
i have a canoe and floaters so is that all?

Big Lew
02-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Across the road from the boat launch at the south end of Pitt Lake.

Dano
02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Across the road from the boat launch at the south end of Pitt Lake.

It's a little more complicated than that. The Pitt marsh is surrounded by closed areas on most of it's borders. Any dyke that divides an open and closed area is included in the closed area.
Do yourself a favor and get a copy of the Fraser Valley Special area map, then scout the area out.
Dan
BTW, The Pitt Management area is only open to hunting on saturdays, sundays and wednesdays, ...shotguns with steel shot only and only open to shooting during the hunting seasons. There are a lot of swans out there this time of year so be aware of this. (there isn't a snowgoose season in region 2-8).

fowlweather
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
k i was wondering for the spring goose season

Big Pops
02-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Honestly I don't think you need to hunt there. It's not very good:twisted:. But I will let you go on Saturdays because that's when I cannot go lol!
No Jk, see ya there!
P.S:I think it's a crock of shi* that it's only open 3 days a week anyone else feel this way?

fowlweather
02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
k so you drive all the way to the boat launch for pitt lake and across the road there is a boat launch for the marsh? according to the fv regs it says i can only hunt to the right of the channel when i enter the marsh right?

Big Lew
02-05-2011, 05:06 PM
k so you drive all the way to the boat launch for pitt lake and across the road there is a boat launch for the marsh? according to the fv regs it says i can only hunt to the right of the channel when i enter the marsh right?
You asked where the marsh was, and I told you. You will have to make yourself aware of the regulations as to when, where, etc. There is access for canoes and car-tops across from the Pitt Lake large boat ramp. If you are bird hunting and have a large number of decoys, hunting the tidal mud flats across and up-lake from this boat launch (about 2/3 the way up the flats) can be very productive, especially if it is foggy. Be very aware it is a tidal flat, and it can be dangerous crossing over to it if is windy. (the wave chop can get extremely violent in the channel)

Dano
02-05-2011, 10:27 PM

It's not that simple!
Some of the area on the right is closed! Scout it out and use your map. If I told you where to go and you misunderstood and hunted the closed area, who would you blame?
The shoreline to the left of the flats is IR, I don't know how far up it goes. Downstream and across from the launch is also closed (the islands and shoreline).

For the most part, expect a pass shoot as the birds either fly over the marsh or down the river (sometimes they don't fly out). It's usually over by mid-morning.

If you hunt the marsh, I hope you have a dog. A lot of the geese fall on shore or in the flooded grass and are hard to find at this time of year.
Good luck,
Dan