PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Coyote Hunt

David Heitsman
02-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Had this last weekend free so flew to Calgary and drove down to Nanton to hang with my old friend Andre, owner of Willow Creek Outfitters.

Andre and I had talked about chasing coyotes a couple times now and this year I saw where it might work.

I stayed at his home and by 10 minutes into daylight on the first morning I was sitting on a bank trying to call six coyotes off this field over closer to us. They were having none of what we were selling so we packed up and went to the next spot.

This is my first time seriously predator hunting and I had a lot to learn. We look for a place where we could hide the truck as they are scared to death of vehicles. We look for a huge area that we could see over and then drop into it far enough to keep off the skyline.

Using a rabbit in distress mouth call we started calling them in.

Woops dead battery gotta go!

JustinC
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Had this last weekend free so flew to Calgary and drove down to Nanton to hang with my old friend Andre, owner of Willow Creek Outfitters.

Andre and I had talked about chasing coyotes a couple times now and this year I saw where it might work.

I stayed at his home and by 10 minutes into daylight on the first morning I was sitting on a bank trying to call six coyotes off this field over closer to us. They were having none of what we were selling so we packed up and went to the next spot.

This is my first time seriously predator hunting and I had a lot to learn. We look for a place where we could hide the truck as they are scared to death of vehicles. We look for a huge area that we could see over and then drop into it far enough to keep off the skyline.

Using a rabbit in distress mouth call we started calling them in.

Woops dead battery gotta go!How much did that cost you????

David Heitsman
02-08-2011, 10:41 AM
How much did that cost you????

PM sent. Not sure if the forum is the best place for $$ issues.

David Heitsman
02-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Tapping on my iPhone here...

Ended up missing one at 225 with not much of him showing and then another set 500 yards away had six running at us. Hoping for a double header I let one come well into 100 yards and took a bitch at 200 yards then tried to get back on the closer one as it rocketed away. Didn't even shoot as ur basically trying to hit a coffee cup size target.

Quite a few sets later, had another six coming in from at least 2 k's away. It was my friends turn to shoot first so we whisper that he'd take one on the left if there was a chance for a brace. Sure enough a pair stopped at 60 yards very downhill from us. I had mine in the scope but waited for a few seconds for him to shoot. At his shot, I lost my target for a second and then of course mine bolts out of there, dropping to about 6" high and stretched out like a greyhound. I think I sailed 4 at him, the last at prolly 600 yards, watching the snow kick up around him. I'd brought 3 boxes of bullets so may as well have some fun.
The next day we did another set where before we quit the call we could see 6 coming in hard again. These came in and held in some willows about 350 out. It took another call to get two of the dumber ones, or maybe hungrier ones to come in closer. It was my turn first this time so I tipped on at
275 so my partner could take the closer one. He didn't get a shot away as they blaze away so fast.
Later on another set when it had dropped to -27, I had just sat down and was kind of hunkered into the wind with mitts on and a Touque down to my eyes. On the third call I look up and here's one standing on his back legs like a bear trying to get a look at us from no more than 30 yards well to my hard right. No shell in the chamber, fumbling around trying to get mitts off and he was gone. Got back on him at 300 yards hoping he'd stop. He did but didn't give me a broadside shot and by then I was rattled enough not to attempt.
Short of it is, this predator hunting is a blast and I'm gonna start doing more of it.

Rackmastr
02-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds like you're having a good time out here!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Short of it is, this predator hunting is a blast and I'm gonna start doing more of it.

I agree. It's a blast!

Get yourself a Foxpro, decoy and/or a couple of mouth calls and go hit some sheep/deer country!!
Helps pass the off season.

SSS

David Heitsman
02-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Picked up a cottontail in distress call go with some old rodent calls and tried my luck last Sunday around Lundbom Lakes. Didn't draw any coyotes out but vever saw any tracks around either.

SSS: Getting off thread here but why did u select the Foxpro?
Just doing some due dilligence before I get an electric call.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Picked up a cottontail in distress call go with some old rodent calls and tried my luck last Sunday around Lundbom Lakes. Didn't draw any coyotes out but vever saw any tracks around either.

SSS: Getting off thread here but why did u select the Foxpro?
Just doing some due dilligence before I get an electric call.

I don't have a Foxpro but a lot of guys like them, especially those who are serious predator hunters. They're a little more money than I would like to spend for myself as I only get out a couple of time a year.

That Lundbom country is good dog country. Got my only scope bite ever over there trying to down a yappy dog:redface:.

I like to use a cow/calf elk call but use it for a fawn-in-distress call as the wintering areas that are close to home have more deer than rabbits.
I also use a Primos Minimag Howler and was able to call back a second dog after dropping his buddy.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DKD_Feb_5_2011_012.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22605&ppuser=1509)

Didn't get the third...but two out of three ain't bad.

A couple of mouth pred calls and a howler of some sort and you'll be good to go...although I could have benefitted from some kind of decoy on more than one occassion.

SSS

358mag
02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree. It's a blast!

Get yourself a Foxpro, decoy and/or a couple of mouth calls and go hit some sheep/deer country!!
Helps pass the off season.

SSS
And remeber to sight your rifle in and check your handloads !!!!:-D

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2011, 10:03 PM
And remeber to sight your rifle in and check your handloads !!!!:-D

Yep! Definitely need more powder!:mrgreen:

SSS

Drillbit
02-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Try a semi, helps out when they're in third gear.

JustinC
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Hey if you guys want to come to alberta and kill some yotes send me a pm.I will more than happy take you out.No $$$$ for me taking you out.

Walking Buffalo
02-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey if you guys want to come to alberta and kill some yotes send me a pm.I will more than happy take you out.No $$$$ for me taking you out.

Just bring ear plugs. :wink: :mrgreen:

JustinC
02-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Just bring ear plugs. :wink: :mrgreen:
Yep bring those aswell.We are over ran with yotes in Alberta.:wink: