PDA

View Full Version : How stuck have you been? What did you do?

BiG Boar
02-04-2011, 08:32 PM
An HBC friend and I met up this week to go cougar hunting. We were wanting to get away for a bit of a trip and so we headed into the interior of BC. On the logging road we chose we were imediatley in need of chains on the truck to pass through the 12 inches of snow and a chainsaw to get through blow down.

We made it about an hour in on a slow drive through the narrow roads up and down the mountains. Set up our accomodations and went to sleep.

The next morning we got up early and headed out in the truck. Not even 100 feet from camp we were going up a tiny incline in the truck when CLUNK! Chains were only on the front, and we figured one had come off. However this was quite a clunk.

Upon closer inspection I emerged from under the truck holding the front drive shaft. Hunt is over, and now we are going to try to make it back home. We loaded what we had left at camp and started the slow drive with rear wheel only. The chains were now on the back tires. All was going well and I thought, well we should be home by noon, maybe locate some parts and still have a hunt on our hands in the a lotted time.

However, there was a hill in the night I had forgoten about. D said we might have to winch up it. We crossed the creek and started heading up hill. Made it about 10 yards before the rear tires dug in and wouldnt go up any more. It was winching time.

7 hours later, with the winch cable disconecting twice and probably 5 chain repairs for which I was given the nick name Costner we made it back out to the highway. Did you know you can break chain with an axe and rocks to replace links? I saw that in robin hood prince of theives with Kevin Costner when they break out of jail at the begining.

Lessons learned, always bring extra chain links. Never buy a dodge. :-D Joking.....

Lets hear how stuck you have been and what you did to get out of it. Any tips? And what equipment you must have when out in the bush.

150fighter
02-04-2011, 09:04 PM
This past spring a buddy and I were going up the Bull River for some bear hunting. It was the beginning of May and lots of the roads were still full of snow.
We started up one road that no one had gone up that season. It was going good, my light truck was floating over the snow when we came to a part of the road where half the road was snow covered and the other half was solid dirt... or so I thought!

I put one side in the snow, and one side in the dirt, which turned out to be mud. We started to slowly slide off the road, towards a steep embankment. Stopped the truck, and assessed the situation. Being young and stupid, all I had in the back of my truck was a few ratchet straps so we attached them from the box to a few trees on the opposite side of the road.

We tried to jack up the truck and put sticks under the tires for traction. No go.

Long story short, we left the truck and hiked 12 km down the road till a truck passed by us and picked us up. Came back the next day with proper equipment and 2 hours later I was free!

02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
1989, Brand New Ford F250 4x4.
3 of us banged 3 White tails in low country near Rock Creek.
After getting some good advice from a reliable source, we headed for some high country below alpine, for Mulies. Frozen road, newly cut by a big Cat we headed higher and higher. Stopping to look at a hell of a dip in the road, we then proceeded, and came to a sudden stop, the cab of the truck sunk lower and lower. Going so deep the only thing that showed was about an inch of the top of each tire. 7 hours later, a local outfitter helped us out with a come along, my heavy rope, block and tackle.
The truck never sat level the entire time I owned it, the paint also took an ass kicking from our hands, shovel work, boots on the bumpers etc. At one time we had the cab jacked up so high the hood was over our heads, just NASTY.

by the way we never even saw a mulie buck as we got the hell out of there.

CT

SteadyGirl
02-04-2011, 09:16 PM
its pretty tough to get a horse stuck :-D

rifleman
02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/lynx2lynx/golfmoose189.jpg

tkillops
02-04-2011, 09:20 PM
25 years ago buried to the axles in muck, 2 wheel drive. Equipment,chainsaw,jackall and tow rope Started by jacking up truck and placing on lily pads,{ rounds cut from fallen tree}, tried driving out on those ,no good too unstabile,truck kept slipping of. Next tied rope off to a tree and back to the truck inserted a log into the ropes and started to twist, progress was slow about 6 inches evey set up, didn't think of useing jackall as a come along, what we know now. Now were about 6 hours into this, we were about to tie the f**king truck to a tree and drop the thing, would have being a hell of a ride but a 4x4 showed up and pull us out in about 5 minutes the wrong damn way. 8 hours later out of the mud but on wrong side of mudhole. 4 by driver told us of a way out this route so off we go. barely make it out onto powerlines but out we are, after 8 or so hours. On the way home stopped a the first bar so buddy could phone girlfriend why we were so late, and guess what she gets mad at us for being in the bar all day. So the heck with her we stayed. All this for a bunch of damn mushrooms. Oh the memories.

killman
02-04-2011, 09:24 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0181.JPG

hunter#1_300
02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
i have to many to list haha guess my truck cant go threw everything just barried my truck in the snow 2 days ago had to get a pull to get out

fuzzy
02-04-2011, 09:37 PM
http://by154w.bay154.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=5&messageId=abbe04ba-2dc2-49cd-bec8-af56d8636f21&Aux=44|0|8CD2038AEDA2FA0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Atthttp://by154w.bay154.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=4&messageId=abbe04ba-2dc2-49cd-bec8-af56d8636f21&Aux=44|0|8CD2038AEDA2FA0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Atthttp://by154w.bay154.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=3&messageId=abbe04ba-2dc2-49cd-bec8-af56d8636f21&Aux=44|0|8CD2038AEDA2FA0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

pics worth a thousand words, here are 3 pics of the same stuck:mrgreen:

fuzzy

Barracuda
02-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I put chains on the rear first, weight transfers to the rear moveing forward etc not to mention the front allready has weight on it. and a bunch more moveing parts to go wrong.

Did the driveshaft or uni Break ? I find snow really hard on a vehicle and unforgiving

Breaking down is a Horrible way to mess up a trip. The only adivice i can give is use caution and be able to fix or repair most anything and everything. . I like the KISS principle but it is pretty hard to apply to newer vehicles old school ones are easy that way.

We have been pretty lucky , i have welded stuff back together before with batteries, replaced a head gasket while travelling across country done all sorts of things to getting home at daybreak to many times.

One hunting trip in a friend vehicle we had the front ARB shit the bed and the winch packed it in and on top of that the chains he brought were for a set of differnt size (smaller )Tires so we had to improvise to make them work . Took a while to get out but it all was good and made for a great memory.

I had a suzuki stuck on a bank and when i returned the tide had come in and it was under water (got it up and running after changing fluids once my brother pulled me out).
I sunk another one when i was crossing a slough(they float for a little while) and i was getting cocky after floating across prior to thiis time and i got hung up on an underwater tree and slowley sunk. I pulled the plugs turned the engine over to dry it out (oil had no water in ) and was good to go.

Even the trip last week the heater fan burnt out and and poor James had to bundle up like a hamster in bedding for the drive home :lol:

When i went over the truck when i got back the exhaust mount had let go and the header on one side was completly loose and missing bolt. ( I thought it was getting louder :-D)

Look on the bright side thats what makes it an adventure.

ps : i found your camera in the truck today James.

Ride Red
02-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I have an old friend who was stuck with his hunting partner in a 2 wheel drive truck. They had a length of cable and chain which they went from the front of the truck to a big tree. They put a wrap on the tree up as high as they could reach and then cut the tree down the opposite way which pulled them free enough to drive out. I would have liked to have seen that one. A good use of mother natures winch !!!

fuzzy
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
heres one more, hydrolocked motor, fortunetly didnt put a rod throught the oil pan. After some effort got it out and drove it for another 25 000 k before it got totalled, motor was more than just a little noisy:shock:http://by154w.bay154.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=ad591851-61f5-466a-9902-8eacd72e380e&Aux=44|0|8C56A73AA844080||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

nano
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Your right about that one!

BillyBull
02-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Back in the 70's went with a buddy and my dad we went off in my buddies Blazer we were loaded to the max and headed into the Klusko area looking for moose...

Well we are following along the goat path and we can see where the truck in front of us went... so there we are crossing the open meadow following in the tracks and then were high centered and sunk. Rocking back and forth nothing doing were stuck.

Yup we have everything for our trip to hunt, eat and drink... but you guessed it we have no winch, no shovel, no tools, just the truck jack that keeps sinking into the bog.

We unloaded the truck, piled the gear and starting to scrounge what we could find to start working on a jack and block and gravel and brace -- plane.

After 4 hours and the temp dropping, we called it a night, had dinner and some wobbly pops and awoke early to the morning sun and the dam truck still stuck.

Another 3 hours and we finally had the truck raised blocked and rock stacked to ensure that once we put the petal to the floor it was on its way in reverse doing ninety to get to dry land.

Found out from some other hunters, that we had been following the buckboard from the reserve that uses truck tires and horses....

Now lessens learned......
1. buy my own truck, get nice mug lug tires
2. warn winch, tire lug chains
3. shovel, steel pry bar, pick, extra cable, sledge, axes
4. chain saw's
5. high-lift jack for highcenters

How to get unstuck when there are no trees to be found in the tundra.... take 5ft steel pry bar drive it into the ground on a sever angle away from the winch. Bar should be about foot-and-half above ground. Attach snatch block to bar base, run the cable around and back to the truck, doubles the pulling strength and winch yourself out. Watch that the bar is staying down and the leverage is working --- if ground to soft, then take chain saw... walk and find a tree that has a good 1 foot or more diameter, get 4 feet length... dig and dig and dig on an angle to get the tree down in the ground... again run the snatch block and winch and start again... max time is about 5-hours for all this.

Big Lew
02-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Many years ago, my Son and I took our, then new, 1987 Nissan Frontier equipped with 31" aggressive mudders and locks into Tobe lake. Got bogged down so deep we couldn't open the doors and had to climb out the windows to attach the 12000 lb. winch to the front bumper. We had to dig down a long time to expose it. We spent most of the morning winching into the lake, and then back again. The fishing was terrible, too much rain, but it was a great Father-Son outing (He got to drive), and we didn't damage or scratch up the truck enough for the Wife to notice. Once back at our cabin, we had to remove all the tires and drop the spare tire and skid pans in order to hose out all the mud and rocks.

digger dogger
02-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Within the last 2 weeks I have broken my drive shaft and tie rod end.
40 km's up a fsr my truck turned hard to the left uncontrolled. When I dug out the front end to have a look see I found my tie rod laying in the snow.
It diconnected from the joint at the drivers left wheel, I put it back together with anchor rope, tie wire, and a jack. I managed to limp home and towed from there.
Are you rehydrated yet there Dave? You were sure thirtsy last night and ya looked pretty dry this morning! :-) Cat hunting is always an adventure, ya have to take the good with the bad. You'll never forget yesterday, and I thought we were walking to the hwy. We did alright!
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/spencesbrdgdriveshaft004.jpg http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/spencesbrdgdriveshaft009.jpg http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/brokentruck002.jpg

BlacktailStalker
02-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Typical dodge front end b.s there dave !

len173
02-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I was with my boss in a work truck (cube van) a few years back, near Princeton. The roads were complete sh*t and we ended up going into the ditch and a big snow bank. We tried and tried to get it out for about an hour, then gave up and decided we needed a tow, but no cell service and no radio.

So we finally hitch a ride back to town and recruit a local tow truck. Half way back to our truck after mulling it over, buddy suddenly decides we need a bigger tow truck, so he turns around and goes all the way back to town and drops us off at another tow place.

When we finally get back to the truck, it's pitch black. I look at my boss and say "why is there only one hazard light on?" we get close and realize a semi has smashed into the truck and demolished one side of the back of the truck in. The entire cube needs to be replaced, basically. No note, nothing.

There was nothing to stop the truck from driving, so we limp back home, which is still another 4 hour drive, in our smashed up cube van, and finally pull in around 11pm. We had started at 4:30am that morning.

horshur
02-04-2011, 10:46 PM

want to bet..what horses do is snap a cannon bone and that can't be fixed or limped out.

Sitkaspruce
02-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Been stuck so many times, we used have a wall of shame at work...:mrgreen:
The good old frozen winter road that was only froze down 6", the top layer like Jello, until you break through. Been stuck once where we got another truck stuck and had to go get a grader from camp to pull out the two trucks....

Other times, had to go cut "Cookies" to put under the Jack All, jack the truck up until the suspension "Popped" out of the muck, re jack the truck back up as the truck fell off the jack, then when the truck was high enough, body check it over and repeat until the back was on firmer ground, the do it all over again with the front.

Had a quad stuck in "Silver mud..aka sink hole", cut the road out until i could get the truck close enough, pulled out the winch off the truck and winched....when the mud let go, it came out like a rocket and bounced three time before coming to rest on it side.

Best thing for getting unstuck is your head (which I never listened to until I got older, way older...) , other things are a good radio, two shovels, a jack all, a 12000 lbs min winch (although a winch can make some guys feel they can go any where...until they get stuck:-D), power saw and tow rope.

I will see if I can find any picts from the wall of shame and post them.

Cheers

SS

lip_ripper00
02-04-2011, 11:12 PM
40 km's up a fsr my truck turned hard to the left uncontrolled. When I dug out the front end to have a look see I found my tie rod laying in the snow.
It diconnected from the joint at the drivers left wheel, I put it back together with anchor rope, tie wire, and a jack. I managed to limp home and towed from there.
Are you rehydrated yet there Dave? You were sure thirtsy last night and ya looked pretty dry this morning! :-) Cat hunting is always an adventure, ya have to take the good with the bad. You'll never forget yesterday, and I thought we were walking to the hwy. We did alright!
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/spencesbrdgdriveshaft004.jpg http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/spencesbrdgdriveshaft009.jpg http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/brokentruck002.jpg

Sooo, Im thinking this is THE Dodge Dave is on about?:rolleyes:

digger dogger
02-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Yup, this is the dodge he is on about. that pic of us was 9 hours after we started winching out, and dechaining.
I have had a few issues with this trucks front end Andy!

lip_ripper00
02-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Yup, this is the dodge he is on about. that pic of us was 9 hours after we started winching out, and dechaining.
I have had a few issues with this trucks front end Andy!

Well if you have broken chains let me know, I have chain plyers, and side chain,and cross links for most

Darksith
02-04-2011, 11:43 PM
no real storey, was driving in 12" of snow on a road with tires that had no business being on that road. Decided it was time to turn around at the next good spot...didn't make it to the next good spot. Went around a corner where the road dipped to the left, the truck simply slid left off the road, any attempt to put traction under the tires cause the truck to slide more into the ditch (it was a deep steep ditch, would rolled the truck eventually). Ended up walking out 14km before someone came along. Took us about 5 hours the next day with a come along and chains to get the truck back onto the road and outta there.

lorneparker1
02-04-2011, 11:54 PM
IF you are not getting stuck, you arent hunting hard enough!!! Heres a small video of our last outing cougar hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcLUnrAhYDk&feature=player_embedded

to go with the winch on the front We bring a cumalong, 2 20 foot tow straps, 100 feet of chain, 200 feet of rope, 4 bags of sand and 3 shovels. We are pretty much unstoppable

recoil
02-05-2011, 02:08 AM
Many years ago, my Son and I took our, then new, 1987 Nissan Frontier equipped with 31" aggressive mudders and locks into Tobe lake.

Hilarious, my and my dad experienced the Tobe lake road a couple years after you, he dented in the bumper of his new blazer and we hit our heads on the roof trying to power through those mud holes at full speed. And the fishing was great, if you happen to like 3lb squawfish!

landphil
02-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Put chains on the rear first, or you'll keep breaking things. If you need all 4 that's fine, but just chains on the front puts most of the torque on the much weaker front ends.

When I first moved to Kelowna I had my trusty '83 toyota 4x4, complete with winch, extra cable, and other gear. I had been in town for about 2 weeks, and asked around about a good spot for a little 4x fun. Everyone I talked to sent me to the Postill lake area to find the mud - I took one guy from college and we spent the better part of the day looking to get stuck, but couldn't find anything that would stop us. We eventually found the actual mud pits, and being fall, drove around on the lumpy, bumpy, rock hard dried mud, which got old quickly. Then we found another one, the looked about the same, with no ruts. I cruised around the edge, yup, it's dried up too. Or so I though. I cut right across the middle on the way back out, and started to feel the truck lug down a little about midway across - I was starting to sink. I floored it, thinking to power my way through, and made it about 20' before the truck sunk to the frame in the middle of stinkiest mud I've ever experienced. you could stomp on the crusted surface and watch the gound jiggle 10' away.

Even with the extra cable, we were far from reaching anything to winch off, and tried jacking the truck up with the spare tire as a base - no luck, and I didn't have a jackall with me so we were kinda hooped. We decided to walk out to the main road and try to find someone with a truck who could give a pull. What we did find was 3 young teenageers on a quad, who tried to pull the truck, but no luck. We ended up catching a ride with them down to the store by the airport. (yup, me and my buddy facing rearward on the back rack, with the 3 others up front and the kid driving liked the throttle!:eek:)

Had no luck finding someone to help, and didn't know anyone in town, so ended up having to call a tow truck, a lot of money for a broke a$$ college kid. It was a good thing I had my winch and extra cable, we had to join them all together even with the 150' on the tow truck. I had to wash the wheels out three times before it quit trying to bounce off the road.

I've never gone looking for mud since...:idea:

hunter1947
02-05-2011, 03:05 AM
There are a few times I have been stuck real bad over the years a few times I just left the truck and walked back to camp or got a lift back to camp to get help.

Back in 1972 we kept getting stuck real bad on this mining trail we built logs to get across these swamps then towed the 4 sets of to next bad spot then used them again till we got away from the bad stretch of muskeg this was off the Alaska highway at mile 178..

The winter of 96.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Image15.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22591)

Bridge building in 1972.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/73_bog_mile_178_alaska_hwy1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22590&limit=recent)

Awishanew
02-05-2011, 09:33 AM
In the early 70s we were going moose hunting with a 63 Chev 1/2 ton with a chassi mounted home made camper. We got stuck so bad in clay muck we could'nt open the door to get out. I rode a bike to town and got a tow truck. He came and said I can get you out of here and we said WE WANT THROUGH HERE. He had to winch himself in a ways then turn the winch around a pull us and then keep repeating. We worked from 10 am till 4 pm. What a tow truck driver as it became a big game for him. Some days later a toyota 4x4 came in where we were and looked at out truck and asked " How and hell did you guys get in here with that rig" My partner said Good driving.

r106
02-05-2011, 09:44 AM

There was a recal on some dodges concerning tie rods. Mines a 05 diesle and went in the other day. Might want to look into that

Old Crow
02-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Its obvious you havent left the groomed trails of the Koots

Slinky Pickle
02-05-2011, 06:48 PM
What a timely topic. Last Sunday I managed to get my side by side stuck in the middle of a cut block where the snow was about 4 or 5 feet deep. It's on tracks and up until that point we had been having great success with it.

The spot that we originally got stuck at was about 30 yards from where you see it stuck in these photos. We got out of that spot quite quickly but in the process we managed to slip the front left track off. We were struggling a bit to get the track back on (the damn manual was at home) so at one point I brilliantly thought I'd see how far I could get on 3 tracks. Well, I got about 30 yards.

Two snowmobilers came by and offered us a ride down the mountain. Since they were the only people we had seen all day, rather than fight with it any more we took them up on their offer and headed down the hill.

I didn't sleep much all week knowing that my machine was sitting up there in the cold. It took a few days to get enough people and machines together to form a rescue party. Friday morning we headed back up and this is what we found.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0731_Custom_.JPG

As we dug away at the front left track assembly we found that the whole unit had flipped over and wedged against the frame. That explains why just before I got stuck the second time I was unable to turn the steering wheel at all.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0737_Custom_.JPG
Although we had planned for the worst on the rescue, it all went way better than we could have hoped. We dug out under the front track assembly and it pretty much just flipped back around. The anti rotation bracket had bent and fallen off but didn't do any other damage. Remounting the track was pretty simple once I had read the damn book.
With the anti rotation bracket bent up and out of commission there was nothing keeping the tip of the track up. I bit of 3/8" nylon rope dealt with that pretty quick. I little light winching was all it took to get us out of the hole and the ol' girl just drove right back down to the road.

I love these Tatou 4S tracks and would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone. In fact I would go back today and drive all over that cut block. I just wouldn't drive through any of the big, wind swept gulleys.... cuz they are way deeper than they look! I will also make sure that from now on I carry the right tools with me (2 wrenches) to remount the tracks in the field.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0767_Custom_.JPG

M.Dean
02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
its pretty tough to get a horse stuck :-D A friend of mine owns a Ranch up here, the Family's been here for about 100 years,they know horses pretty good. The old fella was telling me awhile back he was up above here riding, looking for cattle. His horse started to stumble a bit and stopped, he knew some thing was wrong so he dismounted and looked the horse over. He said right away he seen a stick in the horses belly, with blood just pissing out! He pulled off his vest and cut a chunk of the stuffing and some fabric off, he then pulled the stick out and tried to stick the vest parts in the hole, all well trying to hold the reins of a dying horse!!! He said it stemmed the flow for a bit, but the blood started running again, and most of the insides! He waited until the horse was down, tried every thing he could think of to keep the guts in and stop the bleeding, but nothing worked. It was his best riding horse, he told me, and it was a long lonely walk back to the ranch that day! So, Horses do get Stuck! Watch out for logging area's where there's lots of limbs lying around!!! I found out also there a bitch on Quad Radiators too!

Big Lew
02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Yes, horses do get stuck. I can't take most of the credit for the training of my endurance horse....a lot of experienced riders, farriers, and packers gave me help and advice. We had her trained to go just about anywhere asked, including off high banks into water, along 18" elevated rails, and through deep mud. It catches up to you sooner or later. We tried crossing a slough calves had crossed and got halfway before down we went until I could stand on the ground with the saddle below me. (hindsight would have me dismounting first) There was nobody around to help, and no way to get machinery close by. She didn't panic and start thrashing about, so I took the reins ahead and off to one side and encouraged her to try coming over. Be darned if she was able to get her off-side front leg up and over. I then went to the other side and repeated the sequence. It took about fifteen minutes using this method and we were out. I then took her to the nearby river to wash the mud from her mouth and nose before taking her back and using the same procedure to get back to the other side. Just goes to show that if you can build trust with an animal, it's amazing what you both can do. I've been involved with many horses but have never been able to find another as talented or as good an endurance horse as that mare.

sherpa-Al
02-05-2011, 09:42 PM
So many times, work and play, here's a quick rundown of the good ones.

Hunting mulies and whitetails in FT. St. John, last day of the hunt. Drove past our access road to get a good look at the bluffs before heading up. There were two guys at the access road warming themselves over a large fire upon seeing my toyota approaching turned back to the fire. We came back and turned to the road. The fellows said they were stuck in the way, we couldn't get by. I offered a pull but they laughed :mad:. Ford F-350 with a welder on the back hung up at each bumper, 30 pulls and a jackall the owner was out to buy a toyota.

Got my hydro-ax stuck in a huge mudhole near Terrace. The cab and air filter were the only things above the muck. A flatbed towtruck hooked to a large trim truck and a brief spontaneous highway closure and I was out.

Ice fishing, went to turn around at the end of the day on a little used road and slid into the ditch. 2 hrs and no energy left a service truck happened by and yanked me WAY down the road and finally onto the road, new tow hook and bumper needed.

Al.

waistdeep
02-05-2011, 11:16 PM

Oh we have done that too :mrgreen:

wildcatter
02-06-2011, 02:39 AM
I have a different kind of "got stuck" story while sheep hunting.
I was heading to a basin I have been before and thought I can make a short cut by climbing some rocks.
It didn't look all that hard from below, had to scramble up a shale slope then started up the rocks with a small
pack on my back, rifle on my shoulder but no rope or any other equipment.
About half way up I was stuck like a spider on the wall, couldn't go sideway and looking down was even worse.
So I was trying to figure what to do standing with my toes on a narrow ledge, till my legs started to shake and it looked more like I am going to end up as bear bait.
Somehow I made it up between a crack in the wall, but I tell ya it was pretty hairy and by the way I was just by myself quite far from the nearest place.
I have to credit my Meindl boots not crumbling when I had only a toe hold.

Big Lew
02-06-2011, 08:50 AM
I have a different kind of "got stuck" story while sheep hunting.
I was heading to a basin I have been before and thought I can make a short cut by climbing some rocks.
It didn't look all that hard from below, had to scramble up a shale slope then started up the rocks with a small
pack on my back, rifle on my shoulder but no rope or any other equipment.
About half way up I was stuck like a spider on the wall, couldn't go sideway and looking down was even worse.
So I was trying to figure what to do standing with my toes on a narrow ledge, till my legs started to shake and it looked more like I am going to end up as bear bait.
Somehow I made it up between a crack in the wall, but I tell ya it was pretty hairy and by the way I was just by myself quite far from the nearest place.
I have to credit my Meindl boots not crumbling when I had only a toe hold.
It's always seems doable until you lose confidence, and then it's absolutely scary trying to get back down.

Dukeoflawnchair
02-06-2011, 09:03 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t275/Dukeoflawnchair/fsj1-1.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t275/Dukeoflawnchair/fsj2-1.jpg

This is the worst quadding stuck we've gotten.

Quad training for summer students @ Christina Falls off of the Mile 95 road, Fort St John area.

I must admit, it was half intentional...we wanted to teach the merits of picking your trail, floating, and not digging yourself in.

Turned into a lesson in the merits of having multiple quads with winches on hand...

wiggy
02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
[quote=Big Lew;850611]It's always seems doable until you lose confidence, and then it's absolutely scary trying to get back down.[/quo
Was sheep hunting with a partner and from the top of a ridge we spotted some rams across another valley. Without knowing what was below us we headed down. First cliff we came across was only 6 ft. Np we jumped down and slid a bit. Stupid stupid stupid. When we looked back up we realized we could not get back up that cliff without technical climbing gear. So down we go. Next cliff was 15 ft. That one stung and left some idiot impressions on my rifle. Last cliff was only 10 ft. Crazy shit for 2 17 year olds wandering around the middle of nowhere where no one knew where we were. Worst part was when we finally made in into the next drainage the sheep where long gone. Probably laughing at the two idiots cliff jumping. Gots a few more of these stories to share as that was over 30 years ago. One big tip for any mountain hunter is to never, ever turn around and put your back to the wall on any climb:wink:

boxhitch
02-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Not a bad stuck, just memorable
Fishing and exploring with 2wd van, trying to find a trail through from a lake south of Hwy 24 (name ?)
trail that connected through to the north end of Deadman/Vidette valley.
Rolling along an old grassy road, down into a wet depression, spun out in shallow mud, no axle dragging, just no traction.
Jack-all, shovel, axe and built a wood bed, drove out the other side.
Not chancing further exploring I decided to turn around and get out, called back to the wife that I will come back the same way and pick her and gear up.
Of course there was no option of stopping in the mud again, so approached it with pedal to the floor and first gear (3 sp on the tree)
Wife realized my intent of blasting through so grabbed the jack and shovel.
I'll never forget the look on her face when I hit second and floored it again !
Not sure if I could have ever get as much air time as she did, with the jack and shovel in hand still !
Plowed through ok, stopped at the next lake for a bath and a fish.

boxhitch
02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Rolled out of camp on a moose hunt near Charcoal Lake, pre-dawn light, just cruising not knowing the area, mug of special coffee in hand, still half asleep,
Driving on a good road, until we spotted a set of tail lights a ways ahead, about the same time I spotted a side road. No hesitation, cranked the wheel into the road, and faced a large water puddle, 30 ft across, nice road rising up on the other side.
No problem, boot it through.........only 12" of water......12" of mud also.......no momentum....stuck.....
Winch it through using willows and some creative rope work for anchors, drive up the hill to see the terminator, end of the deactivated road.
We get turned around and buddy says 'F..., more winching' and I say 'not likely'
Picture a heavily loaded diesel pick-up with a large winch bumper with full grill guard, screaming downhill in low range, second,third, forth, splash !!
We stopped on the other side of a now significantly smaller water hazard, letting the water run off of everything, including the main road where most of the bow wave went.
Never even spilled the coffee
Shot two moose later that day

TyTy
02-06-2011, 06:35 PM
driving on hwy28 to fishing hole, i pulled onto the shoulder to turn around. it had torrential rained the day before. I couldn't move after stopping. dug right down to my axel. 100% 30ft bank and 8 inches from the edge (bad spot to turn around! i know) and was digging my self closer.

a friendly fisherman saw my predicament, pulled over and pulled my out with his halibut lines. Since then i've passed that kind favour to another stranger and will continue to do so

AT&T
02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
driving on hwy28 to fishing hole, i pulled onto the shoulder to turn around. it had torrential rained the day before. I couldn't move after stopping. dug right down to my axel. 100% 30ft bank and 8 inches from the edge (bad spot to turn around! i know) and was digging my self closer.

a friendly fisherman saw my predicament, pulled over and pulled my out with his halibut lines. Since then i've passed that kind favour to another stranger and will continue to do so

Years ago a buddy decided to cross a frozen Creek. We got half way across the the truck broke in a perfect shape all around the truck. Now the truck is up to the doors in ice and we cant break the ice to jack it up. Then the water started flowing up through the ice making more ice. Get the picture. I did have alot to say about I told you so. Atleast it wasnt a diesel. Anyone who takes a diesel truck in the bush should expect to get stuck. They are the loudest most useless 4x4 out there. Stick to hauling campers and pulling trailers and leave the bush work to gasoline vehicles.