PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on trail cams

kevlar900rr
02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Hey all,have been interested in a trail cam for some time,but lately we have had thefts of fuel from our machines at work,so I need a trail cam with IR but I do not have any experiance with them.Will a thief be able to detect the cam when it is triggered or see the IR flash?-Thanks in advance-Mark

wildprotien
02-04-2011, 04:49 PM
yes the lights glow a red color and can been seen by humans.
The sponsor here on this site has one that has a different IR type lighting you might want to look into.
I haven't ordered one yet I still need some more info ....

phoenix
02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
You can only see them if you look right at the camera when it flashes. You don't see the flash on other objects unless they are really reflective like conspicuity tape on trucks or licence plates. Don't use video mode as the light stays on and can be spotted easier.
Kim

greenhorn
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
The IR flash on my cam isn't detectable in the daylight, unless you're staring right at it. At night - another story.

If you're worried about game cam theft, put the cam in spots that are low traffic. Mine is usually left in brutal stuff that noone would just walk through if out for a hike. I usually mount mine up high and point them down. Putting them up high will avoid having them at eye level for easy detection.

You may reduce the effectiveness of the cam by putting it up high, but I'd rather have the camera be there when I go back for it.