PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Trapping Thread 2011

Pages : [1] 2

proguide66
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
:mrgreen:

ok..here we go! rested up , decided I'm going to go for it. I 'just' ordered gear from the supplier , should be here in 3 days. Meantime,i have around 500 lbs of bear meat in the freezer as well some deer scraps.
A month ago a local farmer dumped a dead cow for me at a choice spot so I shall go see what kind of trails the buggers have tromped into there.
I'm not going to have a 'massive' go at it , but just hit a few places i KNOW they will travel through.
My beaver dam crossing spots from last year OWE me and I am really going to do it up 'right' this time and make em pay off.

I'm going to video document the process this time , more fun than pics and easier.

Encourage all who's chasing doggies and have a camera to jump on board as usual and share the knowlege and get er done!!!

Heeeere we go again!

hunter1947
02-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Good luck Steve will be nice to see all that unfolds in the weeks to come http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

kwasky
02-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Good luck! Be nice to see what you get this year.

2slow
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for doing this again. Going to be fun to watch.

6 K
02-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Ye ha ! I've been waiting for this thread.
Go get em!

Blacktail 270
02-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Let me know when you run out of bait. I have saved my freezer burnt meat for you but it sounds like you have lots.

moose2
02-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I just spent 2 hours going through the thread from last year , and am really looking forward to this one. Good luck this year hope to see alot of wolf pictures both yours and others. Good luck to everyone trying to lower the wolf population in BC.
Mike

BlacktailStalker
02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Nice! Let me know if those jacked up bobbers are stealing your bait, might have to help ya out and chase 'em out of the country :)

Manglinmike
02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Glad to see that you are back at it ,I thought that you had gottin soft from the southern sun and Mexican beer.

OutWest
02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Been looking forward to this. Can't wait to see the vids!

Buckmeister
02-04-2011, 07:26 PM
I was wondering when you were gonna start this thread. Third times a charm eh? Have fun and good luck!

Spy
02-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Good Luck!:-D Great to see you back & well rested!:-D

proguide66
02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
If I make it out to Pembi this spring I'll buy you a beer for every wolf you hammer this year.;-)

Kirby

NOW I got me some incentive!:mrgreen:...look out puppies!

hunter1947
02-05-2011, 03:34 AM
NOW I got me some incentive!:mrgreen:...look out puppies!

Steve I will do better then that for every wolf you hammer I will introduce you to a nice lady :mrgreen: 38,24,34 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

proguide66
02-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Steve I will do better then that for every wolf you hammer I will introduce you to a nice lady :mrgreen: 38,24,34 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.
hehe...as long as they are real Wayne and not blow ups!!:lol:..and..is it possible to open a credit account with this deal?? meet lady's first , pay up wolves later??:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
02-05-2011, 09:53 AM

At $200hr visit thats going to get expensive for a retired fellar like yourself !

Buckmeister
02-05-2011, 09:21 PM

I'm going to video document the process this time , more fun than pics and easier.

Hope you still post some pics, I can't upload videos. :icon_frow

proguide66
02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Hope you still post some pics, I can't upload videos. :icon_frow

You cant look on youtube?? if not thanks for telling me , I'll make sure there are pics to! Pickin up a new 800 sled tomarrow , if I cant snare em i'll run em down!:twisted:

killman
02-05-2011, 11:45 PM
bout time! LOl just kiddin. Go get'em!

ruger#1
02-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Steve I will do better then that for every wolf you hammer I will introduce you to a nice lady :mrgreen: 34,24,38 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif. Ha Ha , Now thats more like it.:mrgreen:

Buckmeister
02-06-2011, 12:35 AM
You cant look on youtube?? if not thanks for telling me , I'll make sure there are pics to! Pickin up a new 800 sled tomarrow , if I cant snare em i'll run em down!:twisted:

Yes, I can go on Youtube, but my internet connection can't deliver good enough speeds so it is a hopeless endevour for me to try. Plus it eats up all the bandwidth in my internet plan, so I just have to avoid video altogether.

New sled huh? Funny, I was just saying the same thing about some coyotes to my son this morning. Took a few pot shots yesterday at a lucky yote, it would have been easier to run him over and strip the fur right off his back with the track.

killer
02-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Go get em steve ,if you ever need a extra hand killer would love to help.

proguide66
02-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Well , heres a major step in chasin wolves! 'Just' picked up the new doggie chaser , 800 should be ample..:twisted:..cool thing as well is I used $$ directly from hunting to purchase it with a chunk of my tip$ from last fall.
Now , tomarrow will be spent gearing it up with a rifle scabbard , basket of hardware on the back , then start dispursing my bait at various spots while I await my snare order wich should be here either mon er Tues latest....let the gaaaaames beeeegiiinnnnnnnn...:mrgreen:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/wolftrapping2011002.jpg

should be a pile of dead shit seeing the back of this puppy soon!:twisted:

boxhitch
02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
That will handle those creek beds WAY better !
$169 for a boggan at costco will pack those bulky items, just needs a decent cover to keep out the rooster tail of snow.

sparkes3
02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
just wondering if you get up to the top of the hurley road.i had a bunch of dogs howling up there last year(green mountain)but never got to see any. might have been coyotes.

proguide66
02-06-2011, 08:51 PM
just wondering if you get up to the top of the hurley road.i had a bunch of dogs howling up there last year(green mountain)but never got to see any. might have been coyotes.

nope , I stay at the valley bottom and as well closer to Pemberton and the west side of the valley directly across from the Hurley.
Those wolves from up there will come down to me though!

Blacktail 270
02-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I have some mounts for the handle bars that are made to hold a rifle. Bought them at Canadian Tire to hold skiis on my old sled. New sled= new ski rack so I don't need them. They will work great and your rifle will be right in front of you. You are welcome to try them out.

proguide66
02-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Nice! Let me know if those jacked up bobbers are stealing your bait, might have to help ya out and chase 'em out of the country :)

Went out yesterday and burried some bear meat , hung a moose shoulder( meat less).
Found where a farmer dumped a cow for me over a month and half ago. Its buried but the bobcats have a tunnel down to it.The wolves havent hit it but looks like 3 wolves came down the road and laid down on high 'humps' for a bit and left. That was it for wolf sign.Guess I educated em on beef they havent killed = DEATH.
Anyway Andy , if you REALLY want some b cats , its a piece of cake , probably a few of em hitting it,flat ground with a creek...looks like one big one for sure.Have to sled about 4km. Theres b cats everywhere around here and they get pretty chunky.
Shit , a guy could sit there with a 243 and smoke one first couple hr guarranteed with out dogs! but I guess the dogs are fun.

proguide66
02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Here's some 'progress' on my route to snaring a wolf er a bunch. I took the advice of another member here and figured out how to stick footage together and make one video.. To the guys who cant load the vids , nothing too interesting , just burrying meat , not snaring yet or anything else.Will take pics of the interesting shit later!:mrgreen:
If I dont dnare any of them off this stinky stiff but they smell it , it should kill them anyway..haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WNlTrfoX4

Trapper D
02-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Here's some 'progress' on my route to snaring a wolf er a bunch. I tok the advice of another momber there and figured out how to stick footage together and make one video.. To the guys who cant load the vids , nothing too interesting , just burrying meat , not snaring yet or anything else.Will take pics of the interesting shit later!:mrgreen:
If I dont dnare any of them off this stinky stiff but they smell it , it should kill them anyway..haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WNlTrfoX4
nice, good luck steve

ianwuzhere
02-13-2011, 10:30 PM
nice vid-good luck with snaring the wolves...

Old Crow
02-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Good luck again PG! Quite the climate change for you in the last few weeks, huh? :D

Sander
02-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Good luck with that,will be waiting for the pictures

bearass
02-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Cool can,t wait to see what you get. Good luck!!

Caribou_lou
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
I just received an email from a guide in region 6. He has trapped over 20 wolves this season and expects to easily take over 30 by the end of winter.

Caribou_lou
02-15-2011, 12:24 AM
I just finished watching your Video Proguide. Good stuff. So it must be the stinkier the better I presume?

I went fishing with a guy who traps a couple years back. We went to a small lake full of coarse fish. Caught a pile of fish. Cut them up, put them in jars and he let them sit over summer. He said it made for some great attractant for trapping. Not sure if it was for wolves though. Have you ever heard or have tried this? Would be easier than thawing bear meat in a deep freeze!

proguide66
02-15-2011, 09:29 AM
I just finished watching your Video Proguide. Good stuff. So it must be the stinkier the better I presume?

I went fishing with a guy who traps a couple years back. We went to a small lake full of coarse fish. Caught a pile of fish. Cut them up, put them in jars and he let them sit over summer. He said it made for some great attractant for trapping. Not sure if it was for wolves though. Have you ever heard or have tried this? Would be easier than thawing bear meat in a deep freeze!

The trap instructor told us many ways to make some disgusting stuff like that.

Damn , when I left for a month holiday all the bags of bear meat were cemented together in the deep freeze ( the freezer is BigBoar Outfitters and only for bear meat)..It was -10/15 when I left with the freezer being outside..so I figured it being outside and a frozen block inside it would be fine to unplug it...well , I guess it must have been a little 'warm' while away..HO LEE SHIT....the stench is absolutely unbelievable.
Those dogs love rotton shit , same as you guys who live near salmon rivers and have dogs. How many times your dog come home after skidding his back over salmon sluge...:x..i'm going to work a few hrs today then go pack a few more loads out and bury them.Built a hundred snares last night .
I think i may have made a differecne here after my short hadfull of yrs trapping. Killed total 27 out of our valley and am not seeing even half as much sign last yr or this yr , may have just educated them that our valley is bad? dont know cause I cant go after them in other valleys..shall see.
Gilmore saw a big pack right from the pavement here in Pemby a couple weeks ago in a damned farm field maybe 1km from frikkin Mcdonalds!

steepNdeep
02-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Well , heres a major step in chasin wolves! 'Just' picked up the new doggie chaser , 800 should be ample..:twisted:..cool

NICE ride! You should be able to just run 'em down on that thing! :cool:

moose2
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
We used to be involved in coarse fishing derby's for many years in Mackenzie. Most years we would have trappers take 45 gallon drums of coarse fish ( squaw fish , peamouth chub and 3 different species of sucker fish) from these derby's. The idea for these derby's were to thin the lake a bit and to have fun. The best I remember was about 350 people catching over 10,000 fish in a weekend event. So it was nice when local trappers had a use for the fish. I believe they were salted and left in barrels until they rotted into a paste form. Then they rolled them into balls for the traps. They said it was great bait , it would'nt freeze solid and always smelled horrible.
Mike

david_72
02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
this year i used about 150lbs of pork: left-over that i got from my local butcher. This shit smell.....shit. for a long long time. That stuff is so fattty. It do not freeze.

I did my set-up when the trapping season open here in québec, october 25th. I did a snow-mobile ride last week and went to see my bait. Wolves & red fox are still at it under 4 foot of snow. 3 months after

Cant wait to see the continuation of this thread

proguide66
02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Ive got more vdeo , just havent loaded it yet , more sweating and baiting.
For you Anderson/Seton hunters , I just recieved permission to trap on a large private property out there. Apperantly the owner has shot wolves from the porch and chased a pack off with a shotgun last week , should be REAL easy to nail some due to them not being trapped.They have been circling sheds and barns ect.
Also , theres no snow there, will be great due to not having to adjust snares and as well the snares will virtually dissappear into the back ground.
I have a few 'jugs' of rotton bear blood and some great rotton meat. I am going to go into the bush and set a 'spear head' pattern of maybe 100 snares and place the bait in the middle , drench a few trees with blood.'Hopefully' , the pack just charges right into the bait , one gets caught the rest panick and hopefully have a mass suicied!..apparently that area is choked with wolves.
going to hit that Tues er Wed...:-D

man , that pork must have been 'humming'!

BlacktailStalker
02-20-2011, 07:57 PM
apparently that area is choked with wolves.

Soon to be full of choked wolves :lol:

proguide66
02-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Soon to be full of choked wolves :lol:

:lol: shit , hope so. cant wait! When I first started here maybe 4 yrs ago I couldnt go anywhere without seeing wolf tracks , it was silly. I was hanging some bait first yr and 3 or 4 of em walked right up to maybe 15 yrds of me , I saw a black ' movement'( down frikkin wind to boot) went and looked , here was the tracks!
But now in our vally , I'm not seeing loads of track and when theres beef , they just lay down away from it , stare at it and take off...they KNOW its bad shit..er maybe know I'm bad?
I should be able to nail a bunch of those Anderson dogs right away...but they will be educated in short moments!

The Hermit
02-22-2011, 04:56 AM
Go get em! I love these threads!

hunter1947
02-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Steve nice showing on you video clip this area at the stream looks like the same place as last year is it not ???.

Hope you connect in the next few days ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

proguide66
02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Steve nice showing on you video clip this area at the stream looks like the same place as last year is it not ???.

Hope you connect in the next few days ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Ya , same slew...but new crossing maybe 200yrds down river from the last.Looks like flooding erased the crossings from last year...hopefully travel pics up as the bitches come into heat.

proguide66
02-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Well , we'r in the 'game' . First gear set as a big pack has come through the travel route. They stomped up the bear drop area quite well and left me some routes to snare off...funny how tracks get you 'into it'...GAME ON.
I also recieved as call on a fresh moose dead .Gatehouse and I are going to go get the whole thing and transplant it due to it not being in an area I can trap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqJ36DQMc7k

Here is why I dont want to make frsh breaks in branches while setting. Note each wolf in the pic is smelling the branches I broke a few days earlier. I broke them off so not to set off my trail cam in the wind....now I only use branches that are laying on the ground , dont want a wolf stopping dead before or beside a snare before going through!http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0573.jpg

proguide66
02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0575.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0574.jpg
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0581.jpg

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Comin' together now Davey.

3 words for less work, 'quad with tracks'
Happy digging :lol:

Dutch Ppoacher
02-25-2011, 09:33 AM
freekin game on!!!!!
love the water crossing set up!!!

could you use trimmings from a local butcher shop?

proguide66
02-25-2011, 09:49 AM
freekin game on!!!!!
love the water crossing set up!!!

could you use trimmings from a local butcher shop?
hmm..i'm not soo sure on the domestic bait for here at the moment. I think I have every wolf from here to Squamish terrified of eating beef.
This whole moose today should be just 'right' combo'd up with the remaining gallons of bear blood I have and maybe 250 more lbs of bear meat.
Cant wait to see one hangin off that log...:twisted:weird how they fork off after crossing , usually they line up and walk in each others track.
Its freakin cold here now..the snow is like concrete..:mrgreen:

killer
02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok pro guide love this thread, hopefully you will be nailing a few dogs soon.Blew my back out on monday today is friday this has been the longest week of my life.Please give me some inspiration good luck.

OutWest
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Awesome work PG! That wolf on the right in the third picture looks big! I have a question because I am about as green as they get when it comes to trapping. What's with the broken branches you're talking about and not wanting to break more?

doubled
02-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Awesome work PG! That wolf on the right in the third picture looks big! I have a question because I am about as green as they get when it comes to trapping. What's with the broken branches you're talking about and not wanting to break more?

I believe it is a new/unnatural scent he is concerned about, correct me if I am wrong. You know how sensitve dogs noses are and this could spook them.

DD

P.S. a newbie here too but have learned alot for PG's thread from last year!!!

OutWest
02-25-2011, 03:40 PM
I believe it is a new/unnatural scent he is concerned about, correct me if I am wrong. You know how sensitve dogs noses are and this could spook them.

DD

P.S. a newbie here too but have learned alot for PG's thread from last year!!!

Ah yes it makes sense. Ya last years thread was great. Would the branches that were already broken have been done by PG or no?

proguide66
02-25-2011, 07:00 PM
You can see the dogs smelling each branch I broke!

on an exciting note , ROCKED OUT on a wolf on the log crossing , uploading video now..VERRY COOL !!!!!!!!!:mrgreen: F YAH !!!!!!!..Gatehouse was with to boot...funny ,8 sledders were stopped by my truck with the dead wolf in and a moose quarter..thought they were all going to start crying...:roll:you guys are gonna love this footage...uploading now ,l might take till the am though..:-| YEEE F IN HAW !!!!!!:mrgreen:...frikkin awesome , 24 hrs afdter first gear set , KILL !!!!!

TPB
02-25-2011, 07:10 PM
You can see the dogs smelling each branch I broke!

on an exciting note , ROCKED OUT on a wolf on the log crossing , uploading video now..VERRY COOL !!!!!!!!!:mrgreen: F YAH !!!!!!!..Gatehouse was with to boot...funny ,8 sledders were stopped by my truck with the dead wolf in and a moose quarter..thought they were all going to start crying...:roll:you guys are gonna love this footage...uploading now ,l might take till the am though..:-| YEEE F IN HAW !!!!!!:mrgreen:...frikkin awesome , 24 hrs afdter first gear set , KILL !!!!!

Start to a good thread/season/videos well done, can't wait to see. Congrats

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I'll crack one to that, nice work Steve !
Hyper download that !

proguide66
02-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Andy , your gonn a love this shit!...funny , we met the CO at the moose kill today , took some teeth ect , then me and Gate took some quarters to dump in the slew. Drove up and see MISSING SNARE...anyway , got the wolf , threw it in the truck..THEN , we hiked up the trail where I got the sled stuck...then we hear a bunch of sleds come along below us and stop at my truck with the wolf and moose in it..anyway , we get there , heres 8 guys standing there looking stupid and almost crying..:???:..then Gate walks out with his 300 looking like the grim reaper...they are taking pics of my truck and license plate...I asked em if " anyone loose a dog??:lol:..no one laughed..:-?then one guy says to Gate " WHATS YOUR NAME?"..Gate goes , " take off your helmut and tell me yourse"...the guy says "NO"..haha..then they take off....blah blah...I phone the CO ( number on speed dial) tell him we nailed one , he says AWESOME...then told him about the crybaby's...he laughs , game on....hehehe...pussys...:mrgreen:

cavebear
02-25-2011, 07:25 PM
awsome work proguide!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your story and vids :-D

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2011, 07:28 PM
"Anyone lose a dog?" :lol: :lol:

steelheadSABO
02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
^hahahahha

Trapper D
02-25-2011, 07:42 PM
ya thats to bad , people cant just mind there own business. congrats on the wolf though, and the extra meat to continue on.

todbartell
02-25-2011, 07:49 PM
this should be good

houndogger
02-25-2011, 07:53 PM
LMAO Thats great:mrgreen: Congrats on the wolf!

doubled
02-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Andy , your gonn a love this shit!...funny , we met the CO at the moose kill today , took some teeth ect , then me and Gate took some quarters to dump in the slew. Drove up and see MISSING SNARE...anyway , got the wolf , threw it in the truck..THEN , we hiked up the trail where I got the sled stuck...then we hear a bunch of sleds come along below us and stop at my truck with the wolf and moose in it..anyway , we get there , heres 8 guys standing there looking stupid and almost crying..:???:..then Gate walks out with his 300 looking like the grim reaper...they are taking pics of my truck and license plate...I asked em if " anyone loose a dog??:lol:..no one laughed..:-?then one guy says to Gate " WHATS YOUR NAME?"..Gate goes , " take off your helmut and tell me yourse"...the guy says "NO"..haha..then they take off....blah blah...I phone the CO ( number on speed dial) tell him we nailed one , he says AWESOME...then told him about the crybaby's...he laughs , game on....hehehe...pussys...:mrgreen:

That is awesome!!!:twisted:

Jagermeister
02-25-2011, 07:58 PM
ya thats to bad , people cant just mind there own business. congrats on the wolf though, and the extra meat to continue on.They were concerned. They're just un-informed and thought they were doing community service just like we would if we thought that a wildlife infraction was in the making. So PG66 and Gatehouse got to have some chuckles at their expense.

proguide66
02-25-2011, 08:17 PM
They were concerned. They're just un-informed and thought they were doing community service just like we would if we thought that a wildlife infraction was in the making. So PG66 and Gatehouse got to have some chuckles at their expense.

And BEERS !!:mrgreen::mrgreen:..hehe

Gateholio
02-25-2011, 09:51 PM
They were concerned. They're just un-informed and thought they were doing community service just like we would if we thought that a wildlife infraction was in the making. So PG66 and Gatehouse got to have some chuckles at their expense.

Yes, to be fair, they were concerned, I suppose. However he demanded my name in a somewhat accusatory manner, and when I asked him why he wanted it, he said "so I can tell if I know you" Which is somewhat strange, since he could see my face, as I wore no mask or helmet.

So I said that he could take off his helmet so I could see his face and I would be able to make introductions, however he refused and decided to leave at that point.

We did try to explain that were several traplines in the area and would have gone on to discuss hunitng and trapping if given the opportunity.

Frankly, once I heard the sleds slow down and stop I was more concerned that they may be interested in our fresh case of beer in the box of the truck, so that is why I made a beeline back!:mrgreen:

proguide66
02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Post your pics you little beer whore!!:mrgreen:

BillyBull
02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Frankly, once I heard the sleds slow down and stop I was more concerned that they may be interested in our fresh case of beer in the box of the truck, so that is why I made a beeline back!:mrgreen:

Now that sounds more like it... given there proximity to the truck you were probably lookin scary as you came out of the bush...:mrgreen: Well no harm no foul.. be funny if they phoned the CO after he already heard from PG.

proguide66
02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/wolftrapping3014.jpg

Heres the 'Grim Reaper' and his trophy shot!:mrgreen:

This is the sight the sledders came upon........moose quarter on the left , new doggy on right....SCREWEM..they are in MY VALLEY !

Spy
02-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Ive drank so many beer waiting for your video<when you say Am do you mean Midnight?:-D Great to hear you got one, Hope there are many more to come!

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Thats a nice dog.
Wicked comb over/mullet too :cool:

You should have said, "Boy..... take off your helmet so I can see that purty mouth" :lol:

BillyBull
02-25-2011, 10:28 PM
This is a great thread.... yup Mr Gatehouse looks to be in fine spirits... nice looking dog... and there are more to be had given the trail cam shots. Good luck, thanks for posting.

Manglinmike
02-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Well thats great if this kind of odds keep up there wont be a wuff dog around for miles.

Gateholio
02-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Now that sounds more like it... given there proximity to the truck you were probably lookin scary as you came out of the bush...:mrgreen: Well no harm no foul.. be funny if they phoned the CO after he already heard from PG.

Well, to be fair to US, we were above them and it is amazing how unobservant non hunters are. We were tramping down towards them and just a bit obscured by brush and they had no idea we were there until I said "hello guys" which just about made some of them pee their panties.

:-D

Gateholio
02-25-2011, 10:35 PM

I will try tomorrow..intraweb out her in the styx sucks right now...:-|

The Dude
02-25-2011, 10:38 PM
''Anyone lose a dog''....did you REALLY say that?
I just choked on my coffee. Great job getting a doggie outta Dogpatch!
The sad part is, those sledders will be heading back to the Boot or the Shady Tree and crying in their beer to everyone about the big bad trappers.
Shame they didn't stick around for an info session on predation. Might have tuned them up a little anyway.
Great job PG! What do you do with the hides?

Gateholio
02-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Thats a nice dog.
Wicked comb over/mullet too :cool:

:

Hey, Andy that 's not fair. It's true I am a little shaggy in my semi-retirement but I'm no mullator, just took of my toque for the pic.:-D

Although I am sure everyone is intereste in my new 50 lb weight loss and my new svelte look:tongue:

You should have said, "Boy..... take off your helmet so I can see that purty mouth" :lol

I considered that:tongue:

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Thats it !
The shag just looked a bit long in comparison to the weight shavings, nice work buddy!... somebody is going sheep hunting I bet !?
Either that or steve thought it'd be funny to have someone else shovel snow in the creeks while he rode HIS sled through it !? Evil bugger :evil:

Gateholio
02-25-2011, 10:48 PM
''Anyone lose a dog''....did you REALLY say that?
I just choked on my coffee. Great job getting a doggie outta Dogpatch!
The sad part is, those sledders will be heading back to the Boot or the Shady Tree and crying in their beer to everyone about the big bad trappers.
Shame they didn't stick around for an info session on predation. Might have tuned them up a little anyway.
Great job PG! What do you do with the hides?

The Boot doesn't exist anymore, not for several years.:-D

But if you want that hide, PG66 might put it up for an HBC auction/learning experience for someone that wants to buy and learn how to skin predators....

Gateholio
02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Thats it !
The shag just looked a bit long in comparison to the weight shavings, nice work buddy!... somebody is going sheep hunting I bet !?
Either that or steve thought it'd be funny to have someone else shovel snow in the creeks while he rode HIS sled through it !? Evil bugger :evil:

I'm always sheep hunitng, just not sheep killing.:tongue::tongue:

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm always sheep hunitng, just not sheep killing.:tongue::tongue:

We've got lots in common lol

Looking forward to the vid.

proguide66
02-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Holy Hey soos , I think I'm getting hungover and it aint even bedtime...:confused:

YES , I DID ask if " anyone lost a dog|'..and Gate and me both broke out in loud laughter...but sadly no one else git 'it' ?? WTF??haha..oh well , guess it didnt really matter as long as me and Gate 'got it'..hehe..

Gate suggested we 'auction' it off on HBC..the hide is perfect , BUT , I'm NOT into skinning the bugger....it will be preserved perfectly for a while due to out DAMNED FREEZING WEATHER !!!

Anyone got any interest in the doggy??:confused:

trapman
02-25-2011, 11:04 PM
If you want I will skin it for you

proguide66
02-25-2011, 11:08 PM
If you want I will skin it for you

Shit , cant make you skin it!!! it was on your line!!!!....:mrgreen:

proguide66
02-25-2011, 11:09 PM
We've got lots in common lol

Looking forward to the vid.
So what are you two gonna tip me for two rams anyway??:confused:

trapman
02-25-2011, 11:15 PM
I still have lots of meat if you want . Seem the first set of wolf track at our line near Murray lake (merrit) ,so the snares are out

yamadirt 426
02-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Maybe they thought you were out killing sled dogs ? Doesn't go over well out your way.

The Dude
02-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Ah, they probably think Wolves are endangered anyway. :-(

(They're certainly ín 'danger' in PG's DogPatch :-) _

proguide66
02-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Here's the chronicle of FUN,:mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30sDLJcr4mk

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2011, 11:37 PM

I know some WICKED spike buck honey holes here... you're in need of some grounding, back to your roots.
Is your grouping really THAT bad, is that why you pick on these mature animals ?
Time to focus on the reciprocal of your big buck quest... no more 150" BTs... time for a 1/5" BT... see I've got these 3 hounds, they can bay up the smallest of the smallest.. got 'em trained just right, they smell milk on the lips of spikers from a mile away... I'll let you shoot one.
Not many people know this but they're called blacktailed Dikers.
They're a distant cousin of the blue diker found in Knysna, S.A.
Better bring your A-game though, its not like whacking 60"+ moose...

Text book snare !

Jagermeister
02-25-2011, 11:42 PM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/wolftrapping3014.jpg

Heres the 'Grim Reaper' and his trophy shot!:mrgreen:

This is the sight the sledders came upon........moose quarter on the left , new doggy on right....SCREWEM..they are in MY VALLEY !

CRAP!!! No wonder they stopped, I would've too. Looks like a whole lotta mota to me!:mrgreen:

proguide66
02-25-2011, 11:47 PM
I know some WICKED spike buck honey holes here... you're in need of some grounding, back to your roots.
Is your grouping really THAT bad, is that why you pick on these mature animals ?
Time to focus on the reciprocal of your big buck quest... no more 150" BTs... time for a 1/5" BT... see I've got these 3 hounds, they can bay up the smallest of the smallest.. got 'em trained just right, they smell milk on the lips of spikers from a mile away... I'll let you shoot one.
Not many people know this but they're called blacktailed Dikers.
They're a distant cousin of the blue diker found in Knysna, S.A.
Better bring your A-game though, its not like whacking 60"+ moose...

Text book snare !

I thought they were 'Duikers'?? either way , count me in!:mrgreen:

Gateholio
02-25-2011, 11:48 PM

Well, it's clear BTS...

We need pics of Gilmores wife in a bikini...:tongue:

02-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Congratulations guys...looks like you have it down to a science.

greenhorn
02-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Holy Hey soos , I think I'm getting hungover and it aint even bedtime...:confused:

YES , I DID ask if " anyone lost a dog|'..and Gate and me both broke out in loud laughter...but sadly no one else git 'it' ?? WTF??haha..oh well , guess it didnt really matter as long as me and Gate 'got it'..hehe..

Gate suggested we 'auction' it off on HBC..the hide is perfect , BUT , I'm NOT into skinning the bugger....it will be preserved perfectly for a while due to out DAMNED FREEZING WEATHER !!!

Anyone got any interest in the doggy??:confused:

I've wanted to add a tanned wolf hide to my collection for a long time now. What do you do with the hides from your line? Is there a process in place if a guy wants to get 'hold of one from a guy operating a trap line?

Dutch Ppoacher
02-26-2011, 12:11 AM
good show! remember "no swearing!!!"

ufishifish2
02-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Nice job guys. Pretty funny to hear Gate saying "No Swearing" like he was censoring it for HBC. Once a mod, always a mod. :)

Spy
02-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Nice Video worth the wait thanks for posting! Good luck I hope you get a whack more!

trapman
02-26-2011, 12:40 AM
If you get one off my line I wouldn't mind a hide would look good in the den

The Dude
02-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Gatehouse has an evil laugh....he should do voice-overs for cartoons! A new career perhaps? :D

BiG Boar
02-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Wicked video. Looks like fun.

ROEBUCK
02-26-2011, 01:46 AM
great video

really enjoyed it

GoatGuy
02-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Nice job, but who's the skinny guy in the stretched out stansfield?

BigBanger
02-26-2011, 01:54 AM
That was great,thanks!

The Dude
02-26-2011, 02:42 AM
Nice job, but who's the skinny guy in the stretched out stansfield?

He's the thread Moderator, going above and beyond the call of duty. lol :-)

ydouask
02-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Great work PG... have always enjoyed your posts, interesting and informative. Thanks.

killman
02-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Nice Work boys, great vid as well.

doubled
02-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Right on, let the games begin. Good job boys!!!

Rhyno
02-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Great Vid.....Thanks for doing this thread again!

x-hare
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
You guy's ROCK!

OutWest
02-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Awesome vid! Looking forward to more!

Rattler
02-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Nice work guys! Keep it up....

bforce750
02-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Love the vid.....lol...next time use a chain saw for the bait and have Gatehouse laughing in the background...cheers you guys ,nice pooch!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Nice work gents!!!

Love the evil laugh Gate!!:mrgreen:

I was taking to a friend that has an absolute wolf-slaying friend(IIRC from Alberta?). Anyhoo....once this guy has lots of sign on his bait he lays down upwards of 100-150 snares around each bait setup. His theory is that once one dog is snared the others are extremely shy. Using this method he's been pretty effective at nailing a good portion of every pack that comes into his bait.

I realize this guy does it for a living and not many other guys have the time and resources to hit each bait site like that.

Looking forward to the next update!!

SSS

Johnnybear
02-26-2011, 04:36 PM
"Did someone lose a dog":-D. That is priceless. That one is going to be around for awhile if it already hasn't.

Great thread PG and great video footage too. Thanks for keeping the tradition alive!

proguide66
02-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Positive feedback is appreciated!:mrgreen:

Here's some news!!! For you Anderson/ Seton area hunters there is probably no secret that the area is thick with wolves. WELL , went out there this am armed with a moose quarter and a sack of snares. A local here is on 500 private acres and has wolves coming out his yingyang....anyway...these pooches are NOT scared of human scent and have never been trapped. We went along the back 40 , theres NOTHING but fresh wolf tracks.
There is a ridge wich is around 130 yrds wide then drops into a creek bottom on one side and open field on the other. The thing is covered in 5 to 8" Xmas trees..:twisted:...these doggies have been weaving through this patch to and from their destination checking it for scraps due to it being the guys bison BONE PILE...:cool:...I placed the moose qurter smack dab in the midle ( as well the road cuts side to side across the middle.
Up hill and down hill I put a line of snares on EVERY opening maybe 75 to 85 yrds long going across the ridge side to side...so its kinda like railroad rails of snares paralel but the bait is in the middle and the rail road of snares is 50 70 yrds apart...I didnt leave one hole for anything to get through on that whole ridge....for trapping wolves , you can NOT get a better set up , this is like a once in a lifetime gimme....these things should do a mass suicide in a few days , then start to get knowlege..but now they have NONE....there is also steel wire fencing everywhere for the bison so the steel scent will not be alarming...er shouldnt be until its too late.....holy crap cant wait!!!:mrgreen:

One more thing , there is hardly any snow here so the snares virtually disapeared!...and will not have to worry about snow melt or dump!!!

one-shot-wonder
02-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Keep up the good work! Hopefully the weather change doesnt wreak havoc with the travel patterns and snare sets.

Looking forward to your next update!

BillyBull
02-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Wow... did a dbl-take on 1shot's avatar thought he was sharing with Gatehouse...

PG great videos' cant wait to here about the xmas tree roundup you set.

cavebear
02-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Awsome vids! can't wait till the "train" comes in at the doggy railroad!:-D

one-shot-wonder
02-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Glad to be in such prestigious company being compared to the gate. iirc my avatar was chosen first.... I was considering changing mine to the infamous pink tutu picture, but I might just hold out.

Spy
02-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Positive feedback is appreciated!:mrgreen:

Here's some news!!! For you Anderson/ Seton area hunters there is probably no secret that the area is thick with wolves. WELL , went out there this am armed with a moose quarter and a sack of snares. A local here is on 500 private acres and has wolves coming out his yingyang....anyway...these pooches are NOT scared of human scent and have never been trapped. We went along the back 40 , theres NOTHING but fresh wolf tracks.
There is a ridge wich is around 130 yrds wide then drops into a creek bottom on one side and open field on the other. The thing is covered in 5 to 8" Xmas trees..:twisted:...these doggies have been weaving through this patch to and from their destination checking it for scraps due to it being the guys bison BONE PILE...:cool:...I placed the moose qurter smack dab in the midle ( as well the road cuts side to side across the middle.
Up hill and down hill I put a line of snares on EVERY opening maybe 75 to 85 yrds long going across the ridge side to side...so its kinda like railroad rails of snares paralel but the bait is in the middle and the rail road of snares is 50 70 yrds apart...I didnt leave one hole for anything to get through on that whole ridge....for trapping wolves , you can NOT get a better set up , this is like a once in a lifetime gimme....these things should do a mass suicide in a few days , then start to get knowlege..but now they have NONE....there is also steel wire fencing everywhere for the bison so the steel scent will not be alarming...er shouldnt be until its too late.....holy crap cant wait!!!:mrgreen:

One more thing , there is hardly any snow here so the snares virtually disapeared!...and will not have to worry about snow melt or dump!!!

How long do you leave your traps before checking them? Pretty excited for you, I hope you have the success you are predicting!:-D

jimzuk
02-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Can't wait for the results.
Great thread as usual

Will
02-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Gatehouse has an evil laugh....
Got that right.......gave me goosebumps :shock:

Great stuff proguide66 ! :cool:

Gateholio
02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
One of my ex-employees used to call my laugh "The machine gun laugh":-D

I guess it's a bit evil. I am okay with that.:tongue:

proguide66
02-27-2011, 12:09 AM
@ Spy , usually tru and leave em alone for 2 weeks. The sets today could probably be checked in days...but want them to load up , soon as I go in there and pull out the dead ones the doggie education goes wayy up.

Manglinmike
02-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Any idea how many wolves are hanging around the bisson bone pile? What is your highest number of wolves from a set?

proguide66
02-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I havent a clue how many out at the new spot , its tough to tell when they usually travel in the same foot prints.
The pack from the last kill seems quite large , weird to see such a hammered trail forking off as well.
I have killed 2 at a time a few times but I have only been at it a few years , gaining knowlege each time out.
4 of us out yesterday each guess'd 3 , 4 , 5 and 5 for how many we are going to get off the bison bone pile.
Saw a video on youtube of an outfiter with 8 snared in one go.
My freinds in toad wacked 6 in one go 2 yrs ago.

fingers crossed.

cavebear
02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
goodluck, we are all rooting for ya!! :-D

Spy
02-27-2011, 10:40 AM
@ Spy , usually tru and leave em alone for 2 weeks. The sets today could probably be checked in days...but want them to load up , soon as I go in there and pull out the dead ones the doggie education goes wayy up.

Thanks for the reply.:-D Wow I can just imagine the wait must kill you ! It would be nice if you could put in a camera that sends you instant pics, so you could check the progress. Good luck Im waiting in anticipation as I am sure you are!;-)

luckynuts
02-27-2011, 11:26 AM

Glad you haven't lost your sense of humor Steve. Congrats on the wolf though I'm a little disappointed we don't have a picture of Gates slice'n and dice'n up some doggy for sweet and sour like big boar did:tongue:

W.

proguide66
02-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Side note ,

When taking the trapping course , the instructor said if it snows after you set and as well snows through the night , production goes WAYYY UP due to the predators having a tough time so see gear ....so , set yesterday , fresh wolf sign everywhere..dumps snow all night and as well still comin down.....jesus..everything a trapper can ask for has happened :mrgreen: really , its now impossible to get a better set up ever , does NOT get better than this....time is going to be REAL SLOW for a week er so.
Decided that if the owner doesnt hear any in a week ,might have to go check...hopefully can wait longer...its not easy!:neutral::-D

luckynuts
02-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Hey Steve, I find the wolves come out like crazy just after a fresh snow doesn't matter what time of day it is. Same with the lynx, think they like to go freshen up their scent marking spots. Good Luck we want lots of pics.

proguide66
02-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey Steve, I find the wolves come out like crazy just after a fresh snow doesn't matter what time of day it is. Same with the lynx, think they like to go freshen up their scent marking spots. Good Luck we want lots of pics.

no shit , I remember the first yr I started I had a deer hide , strung it up , clear a week..nothing..snowed for 3 days and had 3 yotes and 2 bobcats.....maybe I could just rent a helicopter and fly above for a sneek peek!..haha...actually , that would look crazy seeing the fresh tracks leading to the snares then the struggle sign with a dead wolf from above.

moose2
02-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Hi Steve
I was wondering if you have had any trouble leaving snares alone that long down south. I hear the wolves up north will start eating each other in a couple days
Mike

proguide66
02-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi Steve
I was wondering if you have had any trouble leaving snares alone that long down south. I hear the wolves up north will start eating each other in a couple days
Mike

I havent had any eat the other 'yet' , actually wouldnt mind if they did , might get a taste for it and go get more,:twisted:. Its been written by bio studies that the wolves are the biggest killer of wolves?...interesting.
If they want to eat their snared buddies , I say "have at her"..means they are milling around set snares more:mrgreen: ( saves me takin em away to).

proguide66
02-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Anyone want the last wolf , pm me....its up for grabs via fuel donation but YOU have to skin it :mrgreen:

greenhorn
02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Awesome thread and Awesome work PG!!

I'd love to "help" take that wolf off your hands but can't do the drive to pemberton for an hour of skinning.....

I gotta find some wolves around sooke!!

Gilmore
02-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Holy buried snare day!!!

proguide66
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Holy buried snare day!!!

no shit , the gear aint doin shit up valley , hopefully theres one burried on the end of a snare up there.
Anderson should be good still and as well puttin large $$ theres some burried in the snow right now!

proguide66
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Um Wayne !...did you miss that i killed one??:?.....:lol:

BiG Boar
03-02-2011, 12:06 AM
WE WANT WOLVES! GO get em PG66! Can we take bets on the body count? I say 2

BlacktailStalker
03-02-2011, 12:15 AM
4 .

BigBanger
03-02-2011, 01:18 AM
He's got three forsure.

The Dude
03-02-2011, 04:47 AM
I'll go with three as well.
Sounds like a great set-up.
Like someone else posted, a trail cam that links to a cell phone would be great in some cases!

hunter1947
03-02-2011, 07:41 AM
WE WANT WOLVES! GO get em PG66! Can we take bets on the body count? I say 2

I say 4 :wink:..

trapman
03-02-2011, 09:09 AM
5 dogs 4 at the bone pile and 1 at the other set

proguide66
03-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Bin 6 days , feels like a month...cant take this.......:cry:

Dutch Ppoacher
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM
come on... go a little early. antisipating a mass suicide.

proguide66
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm goin tomarrow am , up valley where we nailed the last one....see if the buggers have new trails after this big dump and se how the moose quarter is makeing out...oh..and set the new 50 snares I have...:twisted:

The Dude
03-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Good luck PG!
There's a new Sheriff in Dogpatch! :D

doubled
03-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Time to harvest some lost dogs!!!!

BiG Boar
03-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Really getting excited for this video. Think you can put some music to it? Videos are 10x better with a little bit of tuneage.

cavebear
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Has anybody heard how PG made out today? I am guessing 5 :-D

BlacktailStalker
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Dude its been light about 3.5 hours, the guy has to run in on sled, likely a good hour after unloading, getting everything loaded, gatehouse has to get his spandex on, x-country skis, hook up the ski rope, fill creeks with snow, check snares, hopefully untangle wolves, replaces snares, analyze wolf trails, tediously/carefully/strategically add 50 more snares, replenish bait, take pics, footage, fight sasquatches and hippys...
Geez man its a process !

If all goes well he'll have to make 2 trips to get the wolves out!

snareman1234
03-04-2011, 12:00 PM

Lol no way, wear one on your back, and one on the hood and one in the box.

cavebear
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Dude its been light about 3.5 hours, the guy has to run in on sled, likely a good hour after unloading, getting everything loaded, gatehouse has to get his spandex on, x-country skis, hook up the ski rope, fill creeks with snow, check snares, hopefully untangle wolves, replaces snares, analyze wolf trails, tediously/carefully/strategically add 50 more snares, replenish bait, take pics, footage, fight sasquatches and hippys...
Geez man its a process !

What he waits for daylight? :-D:mrgreen::-D
Ya stuck doing school work today was hopping for a good read. I ll try to be patient :-D

Gilmore
03-04-2011, 12:28 PM

He went past the farm here at about 10 am going about 25km an hour with coffee in hand and one eye closed. I flipped him the bird and yelled at him to get his ass in gear.

Get it together PG66, if you wanna be an internet mogul the least you can do is set your alarm clock. Your followers are worried about results not about your beauty sleep.:wink:

akyne
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
He went past the farm here at about 10 am going about 25km an hour with coffee in hand and one eye closed. I flipped him the bird and yelled at him to get his ass in gear.

Way to keep him honest!!! :-D

GoatGuy
03-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Get it together PG66, if you wanna be an internet mogul the least you can do is set your alarm clock. Your followers are worried about results not about your beauty sleep.:wink:

Was he out trapping beaver last night?

BlacktailStalker
03-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Funny, I was going to say he likely had to fondle/evict a beaver at first light. Some don't leave as easily as others.

GoatGuy
03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Funny, I was going to say he likely had to fondle/evict a beaver at first light. Some don't leave as easily as others.

Especially when they can hardly see through the holes in the bag.

Gilmore
03-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Especially when they can hardly see through the holes in the bag.

Pure brilliance!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

proguide66
03-04-2011, 04:14 PM
You guys are a bunch of PIGDOGS !:lol:

Upper meadows = ZIPIDYDOOHDAH......all the gear is buried , shat load of snow.The moose quarter has maybe 1 lb of meat gone from a VERY fortunate bobcat , and hes a good sizer to boot.Looks like the pack beat it outta there after their girlfreind got strung up. I have been beating up that pack quite a bit since I started and I dont think it takes much for them to figure out I'm 'at it again' and they go ultra wary.
Had lunch with the Anderson land owner and he wants to go get firewood tomarrow wich means heading up by the sets...so...guess we'r hitting it tomarrow. Going to bring a pile of rotton bear meat to make a new big set away from the original as I have a feeling they will be avoiding the moose quarter if there is some wolf death there......the ONLY way there isnt a wolf there is if they havent even been through yet since I set..but hard to imagine.

S0...24 hrs to go.

proguide66
03-04-2011, 04:15 PM

" evict" ?? shit , I just wait for Gilmore and everyone else around the 'hood' to go to work , then do my 'rounds'...hehe:twisted:

cavebear
03-04-2011, 06:39 PM
" evict" ?? shit , I just wait for Gilmore and everyone else around the 'hood' to go to work , then do my 'rounds'...hehe:twisted:

Best threads ever :-D:-D:-D

Stone Sheep Steve
03-04-2011, 10:01 PM

Anyone with a "trapline" like that won't be posting pics on the WWweb:wink:

SSS

proguide66
03-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Zinged another one and lost two more...:evil:...in the beginning of the thread I say " it chewed off" but after a bit realised it was a snare where I needed more length and looped a lighter guage snare onto the set one and tied it to a tree. I think maybe the conection between the two wwas a weak link?..anyway , on another tree there was sign of a struggle and the whole issue was gone..:-?:evil:

The wolves had been doing a 'perimeter' walk around the whole area since the three were hit..I tracked one and it went straight to two snare sets and backed away...:confused: hows that for fast education!

We then drove up the hill and found their regular route they are using to come and go from the bone pile and dead wolf.There waqs fresh tracks from the pack traveling to and from , all since last night when it snowed.
Could also see the drag marks from the one wolf and his new 'necklace'.
I snared off his trail at 5 different spots spaced over 200 yrds and feel confident he will be caught real soon if not tonight.Actually , I'm betting LARGE$ the last set is going to score.The wolf with the snare dragging behind him is using this route , hopefully we get him back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmeDpr1S3FA

cavebear
03-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Hope the new set works out for ya? Thanks for sharring the vids.

killer
03-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Went out to the lakes yesterday could not believe the amount of snow ,go get em pro guide.Not much of anything moving over here.

BlacktailStalker
03-05-2011, 10:44 PM
One is better than none !

Trapper D
03-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Nice job, good luck , not a bad video either.

The Dude
03-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Damnnn....if the hardware had held my guess of three dawgs was right! lol
Oh well, horseshoes and hand-grenades.....
Hope you get the rest. The perimeter snare looks like it might work well!

hunter1947
03-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Steve good news that you are getting a few wolves keep up the good work http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Will
03-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I have learned more about trapping/snaring from your threads then I ever thought possible.......

Excellent and Thanks :-D

doubled
03-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Ever take newbies out for a day or two??? I would be interested to come down for a weekend to check out your "profession" first hand. Would be something to cross off the bucket list. :wink:

ufishifish2
03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Thank for the updated vid. Looking forward to #5 already. A game cam set up facing the snare might get some pretty impressive footage!

proguide66
03-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Thank for the updated vid. Looking forward to #5 already. A game cam set up facing the snare might get some pretty impressive footage!
I tried one time with some burried cows and foot traps. The wolves had a tunnel dug down to the cows so I laced the edge of the hole with 6 traps then put a trail cam maybe 8yrds away on a hardwood.The big male came in first and took one look at the camera , took off...nothing came and fed on it.I took the camera away and a week later got the large male and his girlfreind:mrgreen:
This is the hole with me in the pic , the next photo is of the large male standing right in the middle of the damned traps unscathed:-?http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/sizereference.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/luckywolf.jpg

I'm kinda scared to put a cam now as it might make me miss an opportunity.

proguide66
03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Ever take newbies out for a day or two??? I would be interested to come down for a weekend to check out your "profession" first hand. Would be something to cross off the bucket list. :wink:

Might be able to do that sometime , but right now I am in the early stages of a big job here and cant 'guess' my days to go look.
As well , I havent even got 1/3 of the amount of gear out as usual so its not really overly exciting...yet...as well , setting snares and sweating isnt all THAT exciting after a few hrs,hehe...and you rarely see live game while trapping , more just tracks and snow.Maybe towards the end of the month? shall see as well shall see if I get much more gear out this yr.

kwasky
03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Ive learned a ton on trapping just by reading over your threads. Keep on slayin em!!!

david_72
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Awesome information in this thread. Keep them coming !:-D

proguide66
03-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Well , if work goes well today might have to go check the perimeter tomarrow on that 'Bone Pile Pack'...then use Sat to have a look up the valley here and see whats goin on...as it rains and rains and rains..:-x..I have a feeling there will be a wolf in the last snare video'd ,any others a bonus:mrgreen:..hopefully it has a snare on it as well.

Gateholio
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Have a feeling there will be a REAL COOL video coming soon...:mrgreen:

Laurence_Erickson
03-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Gate this is sounding like insider info !!! :mrgreen: I am waiting patiently

Have a feeling there will be a REAL COOL video coming soon...:mrgreen:

proguide66
03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Here's the WORD ! Weather shat on work today so decided to go have a sneek peek at the bone pile at Anderson. In the last video you will see a lone tree on a perimeter path..well , she did the route again and bit it! very cool looking charcoal grey/black bitch.
Looked some more and found our 'trophy wolf':mrgreen: a 'semi' large charcoal grey/black male with an extra snare on its neck!!!:-D..VERY COOL to get that one back! amazingly , the first snare hit it perfect on the neck , but unfortunately , the conection to the lighter guage wire proved a weak link:(..BUT , got him back!
I have a gut feeling the 2nd wolf to break off last week went off and strangled out.
There was a solo track found today and it was following my track from last Sat and avoided all the other snares.
SO...great day today!!...video uploading,will be an hr or so:cool:
The two wolves are great quality and rare color , might skin them both out and offer one for sale to off set my trapping expensis.

cavebear
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
The two wolves are great quality and rare color , might skin them both out and offer one for sale to off set my trapping expensis.[/quote]

Im would be interested, whats the going rate? And congrats cant wait to see the vid :-D

ThinAir
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Great job pg66!!

To get the same wolf twice proves your doing it right!! Love it.

Spy
03-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Here's the WORD ! Weather shat on work today so decided to go have a sneek peek at the bone pile at Anderson. In the last video you will see a lone tree on a perimeter path..well , she did the route again and bit it! very cool looking charcoal grey/black bitch.
Looked some more and found our 'trophy wolf':mrgreen: a 'semi' large charcoal grey/black male with an extra snare on its neck!!!:-D..VERY COOL to get that one back! amazingly , the first snare hit it perfect on the neck , but unfortunately , the conection to the lighter guage wire proved a weak link:(..BUT , got him back!
I have a gut feeling the 2nd wolf to break off last week went off and strangled out.
There was a solo track found today and it was following my track from last Sat and avoided all the other snares.
SO...great day today!!...video uploading,will be an hr or so:cool:
The two wolves are great quality and rare color , might skin them both out and offer one for sale to off set my trapping expensis.

Good going proguide on getting x3 wolves!Waiting in anticipation for the video.:mrgreen:

proguide66
03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Here's a preview of todays 'bounty' and?:???::mrgreen:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/clarkewolves.jpg

todbartell
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
svelt :mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Anybody lose a couple of sled dogs?? :-D

Nice doggies!!

SSS

BlacktailStalker
03-10-2011, 10:18 PM
You double the wolves back and drag the squamch behind the quad ?

Rattler
03-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Congrats! Keep up the great work...

cavebear
03-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Only problem with that picture is Gatehouse makes those wolves look cute and cuddly :-D

proguide66
03-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Here's todays 'flick' !

These pooches represent #30 and 31 total wolf catches for me since I started 4 years ago :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJMS1uOLl4

todbartell
03-10-2011, 11:47 PM
good job Steve, but where is your helmet when operating the atv?

SAFETY FIRST!!!

Spy
03-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Good stuff guys!!:-D

lovemywinchester
03-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Mean looking dogs!

The Dude
03-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Two wolves and a Samsquanch!
Great job PG and your lovely assistant! :D

killman
03-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Great Job guys. Where is all your snow? Looks like spring down there.

proguide66
03-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Great Job guys. Where is all your snow? Looks like spring down there.
This area is out at Anderson Lake , not much snow there normally , still have 3 ft at my house:???: and upper valley where I trap is much more.

greenhorn
03-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Nice cinematography!

Did I hear gatehouse make a comment about master-baiting??

cavebear
03-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Great color, thanks for sharing :-D

2slow
03-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Great videos, nice job on the wolves.

BillyBull
03-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Nice work PG... thanks for continuing to share the season with us.

Phil
03-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Way cool! Nice dogs!

Kody94
03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Here's todays 'flick' !

These pooches represent #30 and 31 total wolf catches for me since I started 4 years ago :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJMS1uOLl4

Very cool. Congrats!

You are getting sophisticated with your video editting! :mrgreen:

sarg
03-11-2011, 07:18 PM
man the more i watch or video's the more i would like to trap, maybe in the future, very nice

proguide66
03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
man the more i watch or video's the more i would like to trap, maybe in the future, very nice
This was the original intent in the begining of the wolf trapping threads, wondering where all the other wolf trappers went?? wasnt there a few guys posting wolf kills last year???:confused:

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Cant find a line here or even find someone who ISNT EVEN USING THEIRS to give me permission, for the life of me :mad:

proguide66
03-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Cant find a line here or even find someone who ISNT EVEN USING THEIRS to give me permission, for the life of me :mad:
Maybe some existing NON using line owners should be forwarded this thread! Also , if a line shows no activity in 2 yrs you can apply to get a permit.

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Yes but they dont reveal any info as to where lines are, who uses them and if they arent being used so you pretty much need to bump into a line holder and uncover the coincidence :confused:
The 'system' isn't designed to benefit the people trying to get into trapping thats for sure, just to protect the info of the ones that are (mostly WERE) active.

I was talking to the head guy in Nanaimo yesterday and he said there a couple up for grabs in areas that are part of land under current treaty negotiations so they wont be releasing them to active trappers, should those ones be lost completely to the FN (which they will be :mad: and guaranteed won't be put to use)
I want to get after the wolves, my buddy with the dairy farm has been burying cows like nobodys business... what a waste !

Manglinmike
03-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Well once agian I am bowing down with my hat off,great job on the wuffs,and thank you very much for letting us live life(or death)through you lens,I hoist my ice cold wissers high in the name of pro guide66!!!

Alone in the wildernes
03-11-2011, 11:29 PM
If you just want to hunt wolfs go to area 3 or 5 lots to be wacked they are doing in the deer big time. The last few years I have taken a few in deer hunting season you know its getting bad when you see six or seven in a pack at a time.

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Long ways from V.I to reg.3 & 5 to hunt wolves ;)

houndogger
03-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Most FN traplines are leaseable:wink:

chilcotin hillbilly
03-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Andy I to was in the MOE office on monday. I also inquired about getting one of the many traplines in my area which have not been trapped for the 7 winters I have lived here. I was told they don't enforce the 2year non use policy and for me to go buy one off the exsisting owner. The only one for sale is $9000. What a joke!!!

ROEBUCK
03-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Andy I to was in the MOE office on monday. I also inquired about getting one of the many traplines in my area which have not been trapped for the 7 winters I have lived here. I was told they don't enforce the 2year non use policy and for me to go buy one off the exsisting owner. The only one for sale is $9000. What a joke!!!

have you thought of asking the line owner for permission to trap ?
if there not active he will probably say yes!

proguide66
03-12-2011, 08:56 AM
There is something WRONG there. I hope there isnt an 'anti' planted where you were in quireing. @ years ago I looked on the map ( acquired from a line owner) and found the # for the big line on the east side of the lilloette river from just up from Pemberton to the first brige to go to the Hurley ( end of pavement). /turns out its an old FN line wich hadnt had any activity since early 80's. I contacted the local bio , got my application in with my $55.00 , the app. goes straight to his deck , signed , came back in the mail , game on!
'Something' wrong is going on , especially when the person inquireing is interested in wolf trapping.
I will email my contacts and get some answers!:evil:

You guys can trap on ANY private property as well with a simple note of permission!

BlacktailStalker
03-12-2011, 09:01 AM
You guys can trap on ANY private property as well with a simple note of permission!

Some of the problems here, much land being private property.
The timber companies see trappers as a liability because with trapping access comes liability, the list of requirements to be on the land is 'long' ($3,000,000 liability insurance, fire kit, extinguisher, spill kit, shovels etc etc) and it seems they cant be bothered to get someone 'on board'
I've contacted two companies in the past and they said they have someone... who only addresses problem beavers when it affects their roads :evil:

When all you have to deal with is the woman answering the phone and email, likely subconsciously saying to herself "ewww, trapping" it seems a guy is hard pressed to get anywhere :mad:
If I knew it was this difficult to get set up I wouldn't have wasted the $300 on the course.

proguide66
03-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm on it , sent out emails to appropriat contacts , shall have first hand info soon.

hunter1947
03-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Some of the problems here, much land being private property.
The timber companies see trappers as a liability because with trapping access comes liability, the list of requirements to be on the land is 'long' ($3,000,000 liability insurance, fire kit, extinguisher, spill kit, shovels etc etc) and it seems they cant be bothered to get someone 'on board'
I've contacted two companies in the past and they said they have someone... who only addresses problem beavers when it affects their roads :evil:

When all you have to deal with is the woman answering the phone and email, likely subconsciously saying to herself "ewww, trapping" it seems a guy is hard pressed to get anywhere :mad:
If I knew it was this difficult to get set up I wouldn't have wasted the $300 on the course.

Andy you never wasted 300.00 on your course this trapping L is good forever you are a young man and many years to live and who knows maybe one year you will need your License to trap :roll:..

proguide66
03-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Went and had a look up the valley , what a mess. Rotton snow , no wolf sign at all since the first kill , all my gear isnt in any kind of effective position at all..thankfully only 10 snares.
BUT , crazy sighting today of grizzly tracks. Up at Sampson creek where the burried cow is I sledded up for a quick peek while getting absolutely soaked , face pelted by sleeting shit , here these damned fresh grizz tracks.The bugger came off the mountain side and did a loop around the meat I burried 300yrds up from the burried cow. I think /i may have pushed him off due to the tracks on the brige being older and the ones by the burried bear meat being REAL fresh. I didnt have any gear set out there luckily cause he crossed the beaver dam crossing where I WAS planning on setting...crazy! I have heard numerous times that boar grizzly's will come out periodically for a snoop/nut scratch...Theres still 5 ft of frikkin snow on the valley bottom up there!

BlacktailStalker
03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Might as well put one of those trail cams up :cool:

luckynuts
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Went and had a look up the valley , what a mess. Rotton snow , no wolf sign at all since the first kill , all my gear isnt in any kind of effective position at all..thankfully only 10 snares.
BUT , crazy sighting today of grizzly tracks. Up at Sampson creek where the burried cow is I sledded up for a quick peek while getting absolutely soaked , face pelted by sleeting shit , here these damned fresh grizz tracks.The bugger came off the mountain side and did a loop around the meat I burried 300yrds up from the burried cow. I think /i may have pushed him off due to the tracks on the brige being older and the ones by the burried bear meat being REAL fresh. I didnt have any gear set out there luckily cause he crossed the beaver dam crossing where I WAS planning on setting...crazy! I have heard numerous times that boar grizzly's will come out periodically for a snoop/nut scratch...Theres still 5 ft of frikkin snow on the valley bottom up there!

Hey Steve I have seen Gbears or their tracks in every month up here except Jan so far. All single bears so I will assume that they were all boars. This year the last track I cut was last week of November and nothing since which was surprising with all of the really crazy chinooks we've had up here.

W.

killer
03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Great job on the doggies steve ,very dark colors on those ones.

Coastfisher
03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Great post and videos PG. Good to see those dogs down.
We are seeing alot more wolves and less deer on the sunshine coast. What are the laws with trapping your own property?
We have been having a terrible bobcat problem they have been slowly getting our chickens. I have lived up here for 30 yrs and have never had a problem until the last 3 years where we have "seen" at least 12.
I am also having a hard time finding the laws about discharging a fire arm on a farm sorry its a little of topic but I would really appreciate any help thank you in advance. I think because I am below 500m from the power lines it is still illegal for me to fire a gun.

landphil
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Great vid, and congrats on the latest two wolves. Thanks for posting.

hunter1947
03-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Steve make sure you have all eyes peeled and lots of back up when you are checking your traps ,good luck hope you nail a few more before the end of the season is over http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

proguide66
03-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Great post and videos PG. Good to see those dogs down.
We are seeing alot more wolves and less deer on the sunshine coast. What are the laws with trapping your own property?
We have been having a terrible bobcat problem they have been slowly getting our chickens. I have lived up here for 30 yrs and have never had a problem until the last 3 years where we have "seen" at least 12.
I am also having a hard time finding the laws about discharging a fire arm on a farm sorry its a little of topic but I would really appreciate any help thank you in advance. I think because I am below 500m from the power lines it is still illegal for me to fire a gun.
I have been aware of your 'predator peak' for a while now. The bobcat prob is a direct clue to whats goin on in the bush. You can have any licensed trapper come trap on your property. The bobcats may not have a season in your area so you have to call it in to the CO's as a nuicance animal problem and they would probably come trap it/them themselves or get a trapper to? Bobcats are so easy to trap its funny...I think they sometimes walk around looking for snares to stick their heads in.
You have wolves hitting your property to? I know of one guy who is wolf trapping a 'bit' over there.
If there were some property getting over run with wolf traffic I might be interested in coming over to set some gear. It is not illegal for someone to take the animals out of traps for me , only to set.

proguide66
03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Might as well put one of those trail cams up :cool:
Shitty thing is going back to set the camera. Its thick and clumsy on snowshoes , might end up shooting it....I better pass:neutral:.

proguide66
03-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm on it , sent out emails to appropriat contacts , shall have first hand info soon.

SHITTY NEWS

straight from the mouth ,

I’m doing well but to damn busy.. .

Province is no longer giving out permits for trapping vacant/ dormant/ abandoned traplines. Basically only way to trap crown land is on a registered trapline or by a permit that was given out prior to this year.

Trapline administration is a bit of a mess currently, due to lack of resources to administer the program, and auctioning of vacant registerd traplines is on hold pending FN consultations & negotiations. There may be opportunities, given admin resources, for areas under treaty, to auction vacant lines.

Call me to discuss further.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the footwork. I think it is time to make stink.

proguide66
03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the footwork. I think it is time to make stink.
exactly...I will start a new thread on this as I was just on the phone with an anonymous person who is directly in the 'circle' at the ministry.

Coastfisher
03-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the reply ProGuide no wolfs on my property just an ass load of bobcats had one grab a chicken the other day right infront of my while I was running a chopsaw!
I heard the bobcat explosion is linked to a 4 year cycle of the hare but this is nutz. I think it started with the neighbor selling his 7 acre plot and the new buyer clearing it. Ever since then it has been a real problem. We electrified the fence and added 4' to it but those cats clear it no problem even with a chicken! I am on the Sunshine Coast so my limit is 5 but only from nov15- feb15. This is happening every other day. I am starting to run out of eggs! Come to think of it i actually do know someone with a trappers license. Thanks a million.

Manglinmike
03-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Hey P G whats happening on the line ? It must be time to check the new sets above the bone pile, and loosen the leashes on a couple more stiff dogs.

hunter7413
03-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Great job on the wolves this year steve,i went hard on the wolves last year and caught 56.This year i was to busy to trap and with the price of fur being so low and the cost of trapping so expensive i decided to just work 7 days a week and leave the wolves for another year and maybe the outfitters will chip in so fuel for next year.Keep up the good work and keep killin them muts......Brad

beefcake
03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
You guys should check out alberta outdoorsmen,under hunting discussion,shot 4 wolves out of 5 by his farm ,you dont have to sign up too check it out.Question 4 u seasoned vets,when you come across wolf pack which do you shoot first alpha male or female to take em all out.

proguide66
03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Hey P G whats happening on the line ? It must be time to check the new sets above the bone pile, and loosen the leashes on a couple more stiff dogs.
I actually went up with Hitch and pulled all the gear there due to spring really cruising in there. There was ZERO activity there and I think the remaining 'wolf' left.
The moose is un touched nut should have a bear on it any day now.
I only have about 10 snares in the upper valley...will go check out this week but think its more er less done for this season for snaring with baits.

proguide66
03-20-2011, 08:19 PM
You guys should check out alberta outdoorsmen,under hunting discussion,shot 4 wolves out of 5 by his farm ,you dont have to sign up too check it out.Question 4 u seasoned vets,when you come across wolf pack which do you shoot first alpha male or female to take em all out.
Soon as first bullet flies they all scatter.Who knows wich ones are the alphas anyway , I have seen literally dozens of wolves up north and dont know how to pick who is boss....er maybe I just shoot em to fast?..hehe.

ianwuzhere
03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
good job- keep it comin!!

hellojello74
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
ttt, Any up dates

proguide66
03-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Pretty much done for me. Work is picking up speed,snow melting , bears should be comon any day now. Went to the upper valley , still ZERO sign from the pack after my first kill. Am still leaving 4 snares on that small ridge where they ran a month ago , its 250yrds from the moose leg and am still kinda expecting them to hit that trail one more time.
I know of a spot on the south side of the valley where they den up. If I get time , I might borrow a male dog and go for a walk up the old road and let him mark some foot trap spots for me...free time is a big factor though.

TheProvider
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice work on the wolves this season PG, the landowner near Anderson must be happy. Snow is definately disappearing fast in the hills around Squamish. Work shall pick up next week, be chasing grampa boars in no time :D

proguide66
05-15-2011, 02:45 PM
ONE LAST SCORE for 2011 wolf trappin!

If you look back in the beginning of this thread , I tape where wolves came by and walked all over the rotton bear meat I burried on the road.I video'd and noted where they travelled and set a few snares on the hip trail on the high side of the road. Now these wolves TOLD me they used this route to travel every year for 4 years now by their tracks.
Before I went to Alabama , I went and knocked down my dozen snares I had down by the moose leg ( where Gate and I rocked out on the female) and along the upper road. But I just COULDNT take those 3 snares off that hip trail...I KNEW if I left them there was a 99% chance of nailing one more..as well the track that used the trail was a good'r.
I have been monitoring it every once in while and went again today as all I have to do is drive by and look up...sure enough FINALLY , the grey hump of a wolf..a BIG wolf.
Last week I had a cyote in one snare and decided to leave it as wolves cant stand them. I also felt it would help make deer detour away but wasnt really worried about deer as their migration trail was another 500 yrds up the road. The trail these wolves use goes straight up cliffs to our mountain goat 'daycare' slopes so it was a safe bet of no collateral damage.....:-D..I decided to come all the way home and get my camcorder and now will go back up there and tape the scene wich should look cool to compare to the original taping of setting and the buggers tracks wich pointed me to his route......back in a while , 8)

OutWest
05-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Awsome Steve! Looking forward to the vid.

proguide66
05-15-2011, 06:39 PM
here he is! http://youtu.be/pcZ7BbWjXNo

proguide66
05-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Here's the video of setting the killing snare earlier...kinda cool seeing the difference later....note in the new video how the ground is brilliant green where I dumped the bear meat earlier!
The first snare set in this video is the snare that killed the big bugger in the new video...
http://youtu.be/sqJ36DQMc7k