PDA

View Full Version : baiting bears

wunderboy
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I am probably getting ahead of myself but its fun to dream.So here is the dilemma. My wife and I are seriously looking into buying a house that backs onto crown land and about 10 acres of it is forested leading up to the crown land. Near the back of the property is a clearing that I was thinking about putting in a small deer plot. Would hunting over this spot for bear be considered baiting. The plot would be planted for deer not for any of my animals. What are your thoughts?

Trapper D
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
grow some corn, then the bear is a nuisance bear

Steeleco
02-03-2011, 10:53 PM
If you planted it for any reason and then hunt it for bears, you'd have a tough time explaining to a CO you weren't baiting IMO.

That said, the chances of even talking to a CO on private property has got to be remote?

wunderboy
02-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah I know its remote. Its more about playing by the rules and teaching my future kids to play by the rules. If I grew corn to attract animals would that bear be considered nuisance?

RJ
02-03-2011, 11:04 PM
If you put out a meatsickle for coyotes and then shot a bear on top of it, I don't think you could say the bait was only for coyotes. Just my thoughts.....

wunderboy
02-03-2011, 11:08 PM
If you put out a meatsickle for coyotes and then shot a bear on top of it, I don't think you could say the bait was only for coyotes. Just my thoughts.....

Good point. I guess i'll hunt spring bears my usually way by calling plus nothing would be growing there at that time. Then plant and deer in the fall.

Thanks guys

ufishifish2
02-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Why don't you just plant corn for the sake of planting corn. Eat a cob or two in the fall. Now you aren't baiting are you???
Enjoy your hunt!!!

The Hermit
02-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Is not the measure of ethics what one chooses to do or not to do when no one is looking and no one will know?

If you think it is baiting then it's baiting. If you think it is fair chase then go for it.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-04-2011, 01:14 AM
I wouldnt be considering a bear eating your corn a nuisance bear . you would have to let it go under the law..i see your point tho . if it was apple trees ,bears would be busting them down and climbing into them . However you are the one creating the oppuritiny for the bear . SO . if you shoot one out of your apple tree or off your corn then , a C.O. would probly give you a dogs licking .

hunter1947
02-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Your intention is to bait deer not bear and if a bear comes into the feeding area or station are you to let it walk ??? this is a gray area to me ????..

I baited for deer last year for 4 months in the back country and 95% of the time it was deer ,elk feeding at my bait station but the odd time a bear would come in to feed this is not considered baiting for bear but is it ????..

There is a gray area about baiting for deer or elk and a bear comes into the baiting station the law says you are not to bait for bear where is the line drawn here that you can't shoot a bear if it comes into your deer baiting station is a hunter to let the bear walk my thoughts are you should because it would be considered baiting ???..

Lets say a hunter was set up where he or she can see there baiting station for deer and this hunter saw a bear say about 100 yards from this feeding station and shot it would this be considered baiting for bears ????

Where in the regs does it say you are to let a bear walk if it comes into your feeding station that you are using for deer or other ???.

My thoughts is for an exsample say a person was baiting for bear which is totally illegally to do so would they not be putting out animal parts not grain ,salt ,corn ,apples etc that you would use for deer ,elk or other game animals that you are allowed to bait for ,to me this is a gray area it is confusing ???.

Say a hunter was to come into a corn field or an apple field and saw a bear can he or she shoot this bear ????? my thoughts are yes ..

This is what the regs should state to make more clear,,,,,,,,,,,If a bear comes into your deer ,elk baiting station it is illegal to shoot a bear this would be plain and simple to understand when reading up in the regs..

wunderboy
02-04-2011, 05:55 AM
hunter1947 have you been listening to my thoughts? I have gone back and forth on this many times.
The plot would be some sort of planted bait. Alfalfa or something similar and beets coming into fall and winter. So I doubt it would be run over with bears but I don't want to cheat.
Yes if a bear was a real problem with the sheep, chickens, cow, or wifes garden then me, mr bear, and 30-06 would sit down and talk about it. Our akbash seems to keep them and yotes back in the forest.

Fisher-Dude
02-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Why not go to the Wildlife Act - Hunting Regulation to get your answer?

"bait" means any thing, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy;

The term "cultivated crops" should be enough to tell you that what you're proposing is illegal.

CanuckShooter
02-04-2011, 07:41 AM

"bait" means any thing, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, thatmay attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy;

The term "cultivated crops" should be enough to tell you that what you're proposing is illegal.

The key word is "MAY" attract.....your after shave will attract a bear...so will your body deodorant.....so will the stink of your unwashed shorts....

With this part of 'the act'...just about everything 'could' be determined to be baiting of bears....

Please govern yourselves accordingly.:mrgreen:

steel_ram
02-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Going by the original post, the intent is to attract wildlife including bears to kill. So for the bears it's illegal. Don't try to sugar coat it, the intemt is there.

urbanhermit
02-04-2011, 07:52 AM
is there a fine line in there between baiting a deer and feeding wildlife? i wonder if a CO would play that card if they took a dislike to someone...

hunter1947
02-04-2011, 08:47 AM
is there a fine line in there between baiting a deer and feeding wildlife? i wonder if a CO would play that card if they took a dislike to someone...

I agree there are a few gray areas in the regs ,example one time I went over to the CO office and showed this CO the regs on transporting game meat he was a Sargent.

I told this CO that we had butchered up our game meat in our hunting camp then transported the animal home with us is this legal ??.

This CO looked at the regs and said as long as you have the sex with you and the amount of hair stated in the regs and if it was a bull that was open for mature or spike and you had the antlers with the tag you would be ok.

Regarding the regs to do with bear baiting is some what confusing at times like I said the regs should say no shooting bears around or near you baiting station or planted crops within so many meters.

A CO will look over the whole thing his way and decide what is right or wrong at the time the CO might let you go if its a gray area others will not ???..

Mikey Rafiki
02-04-2011, 09:37 AM

"bait" means any thing, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy;

What if I make my decoy out of cultivated crops? I'm thinkin a guy could argue that. :)

boxhitch
02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Is not the measure of ethics what one chooses to do or not to do when no one is looking and no one will know?

If you think it is baiting then it's baiting. If you think it is fair chase then go for it.agreed x2
and try to keep a straight face while lying to your kids

moose2
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM

So do you think shooting a fall bear in an oat field would be illegal , I didn't think it was but according to that section of the regs it is.
Mike

emerson
02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
If one chooses to have this discussion in public the decision is made for you because everyone knows your thoughts. It thoughts stay in a person's head, it is quite difficult to lay blame later. If you shoot a bear in your cultivated crops you will be a known bear baiter.

Ehv
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
So a bear is out for a walk & if his destination is the other side of a cultivated field from his location, he can't be shot while crossing the field?

bighornbob
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM

FD. Then According to the regs using a predator call is also illegal and considered baiting since the call is a "manufactured product" that may attract wildlife and obviously a call is not a a decoy. So it must be legal.

BHB

wunderboy
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Wow I could be wrong but it almost seems some of your are ready to hand me a fine. lol I don't even own the property yet.

It is odd that they open an august season only on private land. I would assume this is to allow hunters a crack at bears feeding on cultivated crops.

I have decided I would tag out in the spring :-D plant the plot for deer and not take a bear around my property. I wouldn't have a problem taking a bear if it was in my crops that are for selling or eating but I think in this case its clear the intent is there to lure animals and if I am not trying to lure a bear I shouldn't shot a bear if it comes.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Taking a bear out in a existing feed of whatever .. i feel thats fine . if you planted something for the purpose of hunting and a bear comes along , i dont think thats ok . However dont quote me on that .. the problem with the regs are sometimes they are very vauge about a lot of things , makes me wonder why a C.O. and his peers dont sit down and write it out for a posting on the interent or to be inserted into the regs .it would save them a lot of phone calls ..these are questions that are asked every year over and over again ..And everyone has there own thoughts on the gray areas . Is it ok to shoot when a bear is heading into a field with feed of somekind ? what is considered crops ? follow him off the land into crown after hes finished eating your apple trees ? When is it considered a nusisance bear ? Its always better to call first ,than find out later that you messed up and now your in the bad books of the local C.O.

boxhitch
02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
FD. Then According to the regs using a predator call is also illegal and considered baiting since the call is a "manufactured product" that may attract wildlife and obviously a call is not a a decoy. So it must be legal.

BHBIt is poorly worded. If the term bait refers to a food source or product, it should be called that.
Same as for angling, if bait is a food product , then scent lures should be ok.

Craven200
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
An early bear season was established on private property in region 8 a few years ago to address bears in orchards and vineyards. There are some good points and bad points on this thread....bottom line is you need to use common sense and consider the intent of the legislation. If you do something you feel it was not illegal and get caught, just be prepared to articulate your actions. If the CO does not feel you were right, but the court does, then your fine. Best advice, if in doubt ask your local CO and barring that if you aren't sure the don't do it. After all, in this thread, we're talking about a bear, which aren't hard to find "away" from a deer bait site.

BlacktailStalker
02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I think its a joke we cant bait here.
Yet in alberta you can bait but not run hounds on bear.
I have no interest in hunting off a bait but i sure would like to run hounds off a bait for training.

For those in the know, do you think this is something that could ever change ?

ufishifish2
02-04-2011, 07:33 PM
If I plant a garden for human consumption and a bear is in there, I do not consider it baiting and I'll put an arrow in it from my balcony without a second though.
In truth though, I never hunt bears in the fall, only spring so it really doesn't matter!!

Will
02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Near the back of the property is a clearing that I was thinking about putting in a small deer plot.

Sounds like a great spot for a compost pile........:wink:

Tenacious Billy
02-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know any legitimate reasons why baiting for bears should not be allowed??

TyTy
02-05-2011, 12:03 AM
If you put food out for "animals" and a bear comes into it, it is coming to that place because of a human placed attractant. Common now, there are so many f****** bears in this province, the need to bait for them is ridiculous.

leagal or not, i just don't find it sporting. its just a matter of waiting and picking your bear. And i don't buy "its better because you won't shoot a sow or whatever". Don't hunt bears if you can't be patient, idenifty the sexes well enough; then you better best hunt with some one who can.

I have hunted bears, but never shot one. Lots of oppotunites to harvest though.

Blacktail stalker, maybe you could get permission to run your hounds on problem/nusience bears. It wouldn't be insane to think this couldn't assit the COs with such situations.

Vanguard
02-05-2011, 12:22 AM
just take a drive up the nearest logging road in the late afternoon. you'll find the gold ;) hope i didn't spoil it for the bear pros.

dutchie
02-05-2011, 01:21 AM

With that being said... fawn in distress calls, jackrabbit calls, any type of call would be considered "bait"...

at lease that is how I read it.

Dutchie

boxhitch
02-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Does anyone know any legitimate reasons why baiting for bears should not be allowed?? One argument against baiting is not wanting to condition wildlife to human-type food. We have enough trouble with dump bears or bears in peoples yards after garbage or pet food, or dumpster diving bears.
Another argument against is not wanting to create chance encounters at bait statoins with the general public, hikers bikers, hunters etc. and the conflicts that could arise by surprise contact.
Another argument is the whole image of what is fair chase hunting

Personally I like some of the rules that keep hunting in BC unique, like no baiting, no camo requirement, no special weapons seasons ;)
They add to why this is the greatest place on earth to hunt.

boxhitch
02-05-2011, 01:01 PM
With that being said... fawn in distress calls, jackrabbit calls, any type of call would be considered "bait"...

It seems implied that 'bait' is 'food' but it is not stated.

Surrey Boy
02-05-2011, 01:15 PM
If one chooses to have this discussion in public the decision is made for you because everyone knows your thoughts. It thoughts stay in a person's head, it is quite difficult to lay blame later. If you shoot a bear in your cultivated crops you will be a known bear baiter.

Very well said! Just like the sayings "With intent to . . ." or "With malice aforethought . . ." it's easy to prove premeditation now.

However, since there isn't a conservation concern over black bears, none of us should get too worked up, I would hope.

bandit
02-05-2011, 01:26 PM

BHB

Key word here being manufactured product.
A "home made" predator call should not fall under this definition then.

Tenacious Billy
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
One argument against baiting is not wanting to condition wildlife to human-type food. We have enough trouble with dump bears or bears in peoples yards after garbage or pet food, or dumpster diving bears.
Another argument against is not wanting to create chance encounters at bait statoins with the general public, hikers bikers, hunters etc. and the conflicts that could arise by surprise contact.
Another argument is the whole image of what is fair chase hunting

Personally I like some of the rules that keep hunting in BC unique, like no baiting, no camo requirement, no special weapons seasons ;)
They add to why this is the greatest place on earth to hunt.

All good points....I have no interest in shooting a bear off a stinky old bucket of meat anyways. There's no shortage of bears in BC and they're really not that difficult to find if a person knows where to look.

rattling_junkie
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Baiting bears is great fun! I bait bears in Manitoba and it is a blast. Baiting probably isn't necessary in BC as the topography and logging allow for visuals of bears. Manitoba is table top flat and logging is not existent. You would be hard press to even see a bear without baiting since visibility is so restricted.

I think baiting in BC would work if it was properly regulated. For instance, no baiting within a certain distance of trails, roads, campgrounds, dumps, houses, etc. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to bait black bears in grizz territory.

Baiting is not like shooting fish in a barrel. You still need to have an understanding of location and timing. For example, fall baiting is really difficult because of all the natural food. In spring soon as the leaves start to grow the baits slow.

Like I said I love baiting bears. It is awesome to have them close and see how they interact with each other. I also love VI and what it has to offer. If anyone is interested in hunting Manitoba let me know and we will see what we can work out. Cheers.

rattling_junkie
02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Tenacious Billy, I don't use meat at all. I only use oats.

Kody94
02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
I think the "cultivated crops" part of the reg was put in there to keep people from making a pile of barley in the middle of the woods (to close a loophole if you say only banned donuts or fried chicken grease) and shooting a bear off of it, not to keep people from hunting in a barley field.

At least that's how its been explained to me. I shot my first bear in an oat field when I was 14, and an RCMP officer was present, and the best friend of the family was a CO...neither thought it was "baiting".

Its no more baiting than shooting bears from the road in the spring, that were attracted there by the clover that the forest company seeded the ditches with.

Tenacious Billy
02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Tenacious Billy, I don't use meat at all. I only use oats.

Hahaha! Perfect! No worries there. Bears need carbohydrates too....... :wink: