PDA

View Full Version : Lund lake ice fishing

happyhunter
02-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I've fished lund lake (near cranbrook) quite a few times and have always had good success on perch and bass there. They bit almost anything and I would always catch a bunch of fish. I tried ice fishing there three times now with almost no luck. We tried worms, krill, shrimp, and fished over the weedbeds, over the sand pits, on the edge of the drop off, etc. In the summer I can do no wrong there but now with the ice fishing I can do no right. I'm really stumped here. Can any locals give me some tips? P.M. if you'd like to keep it private. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

knighthunter
02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I have no local knowledge but have ice fished perch and bass for many years. how deep is the water? how thick is the ice? Can you see bottom? Have you tried maggots or mealworms. What do you mean by almost no luck? Did you catch some fish?

GoatGuy
02-04-2011, 01:14 AM
See if anyone sells rotenone around town. Works great on spiny rays such as bass/perch.

happyhunter
02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Never heard of it GG but Ill try. Thanks!

happyhunter
02-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I have no local knowledge but have ice fished perch and bass for many years. how deep is the water? how thick is the ice? Can you see bottom? Have you tried maggots or mealworms. What do you mean by almost no luck? Did you catch some fish?

There are weed beds all around the lake, the water is about 3-5 ft above the weed beds. Then there are the sand pits where the weeds just dont seem to grow, they are about 6-8 ft deep. The weed beds go right to the drop off and it drops off suddenly to 20-30 ft, the middle of the lake is just a big deep dark whole. According to the fish finder I used in the summer it reaches about 50 ft. The ice is about 1 ft thick. I haven't tried maggots or mealworms, I've been successful on other lakes with shrimp for perch and figured this would be no different. My three times out I caught 1 perch, 1 bass and 2 squawfish altogether. Nothing close to what I'll catch in the summer fishing there.

Mikey Rafiki
02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I've used powerbait for bass around Cranny and had success.

knighthunter
02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Should be able to get mealworms from a pet shop. Can you fish right at the edge, within a few feet of where the weeds edge up to the sand pits? I don't suppose you have your depth finder rigged up for winter use. If so, you will be able to tell where the weeds end.

oclarkii
02-05-2011, 08:53 AM
See if anyone sells rotenone around town. Works great on spiny rays such as bass/perch

X2 - good one

Never heard of it GG but Ill try. Thanks!

EVEN BETTER LOL!

HH - might want to try up the road at Ha Ha or Bednorski - lots of perch in them too (Lake with the dock and lake on next to Butts rd). And do us all a favor, bonk every one that comes thru the ice.

happyhunter
02-05-2011, 05:08 PM
See if anyone sells rotenone around town. Works great on spiny rays such as bass/perch.

Did a search on rotenone.... very funny

happyhunter
02-05-2011, 05:12 PM
X2 - good one

EVEN BETTER LOL!

HH - might want to try up the road at Ha Ha or Bednorski - lots of perch in them too (Lake with the dock and lake on next to Butts rd). And do us all a favor, bonk every one that comes thru the ice.

Not a perch fan eh? Well fisheries stopped stalking lund lake with trout so the only thing in there is perch, bass, and squaws. I kill every squaw I pull out anywhere but I actually like the perch. I fillet them and beer batter them. Two bite beer battered fish- yum! I let all the bass go tho because Ive noticed there are actually very few big bass in there. But ya in the summer Ill bring home 10 perch for a fry every time I go. Ive heard of Ha Ha but not bednorski but Ill definiently give them a try, thanks for the tip!

Elkaholic
02-06-2011, 09:01 AM
You only take 10 perch with you?? There is no limit fish those little buggers out. Last year at Jim smith in 2 days we caught 500+ perch kept em all. Tasty little buggers. They bite on maggots, cooked mini shrimp, woodworms as that is what we have used.