PDA

View Full Version : What would you do...

Vanguard
02-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Hey all, lets say your looking for a spike fork bull moose in mid october, and you witness this, would would you do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6-5rHnussA

Badbrutus
02-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Hey

Personally I think I would have backed off and not spooked them out onto the ice. If your question is now that it has broken an antler off and possibly made him legal, would I take him Hell no who would believe you that he broke it off himself. Unless of course you have the video to prove it.:wink:

landphil
02-03-2011, 02:23 AM
I'd go look for a spike fork moose.:-D And maybe post my video on youtube midwinter.:mrgreen:

If that break did make the one side a spike or two point (I couldn't tell from that video even when zoomed and paused) I pity the next hunter who finds him while that break is fresh.

hunter1947
02-03-2011, 03:59 AM
You did the right thing not shooting this bull I would have done the same as you did good call ,hope you found your moose latter on.

boxhitch
02-03-2011, 05:46 AM
I pity the next hunter who finds him while that break is fresh.No problem if the points are/aren't there to be legal. One witness and or some photos before the shot would help but not necessary.
There are lots more honest hunters out there than there are dishonest, CO's know that.

betteroffishing
02-03-2011, 08:57 AM
thanks for that box , all i could think is one , two , bang flop.

huntcoop
02-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Sign him up as a right winger for the Canuckleheads.

KB90
02-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Going by your hypothetical:

You have the video, to prove you didn't break the antler your self.

If it meets the spike fork definition I'd shoot.... I think.

But before I'd show anyone that video I'd cut the beginning and make it start from on the ice.

ufishifish2
02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Firstly I'd be really surprised that the ice is so thick in mid-october, secondly, if he is now legal - bang-flop. Of course, I'd never chase a moose anywhere in the cold of winter, especially not out onto ice.......

coach
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Firstly I'd be really surprised that the ice is so thick in mid-october, secondly, if he is now legal - bang-flop. Of course, I'd never chase a moose anywhere in the cold of winter, especially not out onto ice.......

Kinda what I was thinking..

Hydrojet
02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
wouldn't the video prove that he wasn't legal to begin with....and that you knew it!...you would be better off without the video if you did shoot it....

Vanguard
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
guys this isn't my video, i was just searching for "tulameen" on youtube and stumbled upon this video and just had a few questions, for me i guess at that time, it would be up to the hunter to decide and then up to the CO's to be the judge on the video if you need to prove to them you didn't intentionally make the bull break his antler. Like you said, theres honest and dishonest hunters.

BCBear
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
You might have a hard time explaining the fresh break on the antler upon an inspection

mark
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Is it just me or did the entire antler fall off, like a shed???? Then he's a 4x0 not even close to legal!

blackbart
02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
I would go and pick up a very fresh three point moose shed antler off of the ice. Thick enough for a couple of moose should be thick enough to hold up even me!

Pretty cool, but ethically dubious footage.

Phil
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Is it just me or did the entire antler fall off, like a shed???? Then he's a 4x0 not even close to legal!

My thoughts exactly. This is strictly a hypothetical situaltion in any case as the ice is way too thick for October.

My answer is let him walk.

BillyBull
02-03-2011, 10:48 PM
In mid October this bull walks, he is past spike-fork and in October that is not frozen thick enough to break off an antler so his head gear is still on when is makes his way along the shoreline.

winbuckhunter
02-04-2011, 04:49 AM
that moose fell and forced the shed of his antler.. it didnt break at all.. it shed off.. and it was already legal. one side only had 2 points..... people dont realize the damage falling does to such a large animal. he could have broken ribs whatever.. should never run down the road after a distressed animal just for the sake of a short video. IMO

mark
02-04-2011, 09:52 PM
that moose fell and forced the shed of his antler.. it didnt break at all.. it shed off.. and it was already legal. one side only had 2 points..... people dont realize the damage falling does to such a large animal. he could have broken ribs whatever.. should never run down the road after a distressed animal just for the sake of a short video. IMO

YOU FAIL Winbucker!!! That moose was a 3x4, you just shot an illegal bull!:tongue:
Kinda like the 8" bases on your muley this year????

Get you eyes checked, or triple check things buddy!

I love how everyone points out that the antler detached, or shed, right after I mention it.....no-one noticed that before either????

Vanguard
02-05-2011, 12:09 AM
YOU FAIL Winbucker!!! That moose was a 3x4, you just shot an illegal bull!:tongue:
Kinda like the 8" bases on your muley this year????

Get you eyes checked, or triple check things buddy!

I love how everyone points out that the antler detached, or shed, right after I mention it.....no-one noticed that before either????

LOL I'd have to agree with Mark on that one, its clear that that bull was not a spike-fork, thats why when i came across the video, I had to ask the fellow hunters on their opinions on what they would do IF the bull went from a 3x4 to a 4x1 or 3X1 etc. even though it probably broke the whole antler off then it would not be legal.I also never said it was in season, thats why i also said "say your hunting in mid-october etc." to show an example. Again, the video is not mine, i just found it on youtube.