PDA

View Full Version : PG Predator beginning

emerson
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Took a little walk today. A used pair of white coveralls cost $20.06 w/tax, rabbit/mouse call $27.99 w/tax, "borrowed" wife's ex-military white balaclava, and 3 hours means I didn't have to wait for spring to hunt, albeit unsuccessfully. Snow shoes are next on the list. I busted my setup going in because of the wind and the only semi-packed trail I could move on. I wanted to get on the upwind side of a river or lake but once I got off the trail I had the mobility of a fawn:neutral:. Anyone else giving predator hunting a try on the cheap around PG? Or have any "don't try what I did stories"?

swampthing
02-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Good on ya for getting out. I have been meanin to try for bobcat. I seem to see one every 3rd time I go out.

todbartell
02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
bobcat around PG? you must mean Lynx

season closes Feb 15 btw

emerson
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
More quality outdoor time today, no hides to show for it. Note to self; if I'm chasing wild canines I should look to my personal one for behavior cues. If the dog is sleeping in the woodshed to stay out of the weather don't go coyote hunting. On the up side I did cut fresh tracks (as in made after I walked in) on the way out. They were upwind of my setup so maybe unconnected.

The Silent Stalker
02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I too have started taking up the winter hunt, but have yet to get successful. I saw a bobcat last week, walking down the train tracks with my fishing rod in my hand. Was using a fox pro call a couple of weeks ago, sat for three hours, froze my nards off and got excited when I saw movement in the bush. Unfortunatley it was a pair of dogs from the reserve 2kms down the road. Good luck to you, like all other hunting you need to be at the rite place at the rite time. Have fun, and post some pics when you get one.

RJ
02-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Im going to try for yotes this weekend, never gone before but Im going stir crazy down here. Picked up a call and have been practicing in the house, driving my dog nuts lol. Picked up a bobcat and cougar tag just in case, never know.

todbartell
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Picked up a bobcat and cougar tag just in case, never know.

you *will* be eaten.

RJ
02-03-2011, 11:07 PM
you *will* be eaten.

Not to worry, I have a powerful gun, with huge bullets :wink:
Going to work up a load in the 250 Savage tomorrow, IMR 8208 xbr and 85 grain Nosler BT's. Either that or the 270 grainers, in the 375 :cool:

swampthing
02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Bobcats, not lynx todbartell. I have seen 2 lynx right near my home and probably a dozen bobcats now. Trying to find a coyote in this jungle I now call home is the tough part. I shouldnt say its tough as I havnt really tried that hard. I just miss the sagebrush country that I used to call home. I was Jelvis neighbour.

KodiakHntr
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Bobcats, not lynx todbartell. I have seen 2 lynx right near my home and probably a dozen bobcats now.

May want to do a little research before you bust a bob in PG, and start braggin' it up.......Lack of a season there *might* net you some grief here.

Just sayin'

Tenacious Billy
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Bobcats, not lynx todbartell. I have seen 2 lynx right near my home and probably a dozen bobcats now. Trying to find a coyote in this jungle I now call home is the tough part. I shouldnt say its tough as I havnt really tried that hard. I just miss the sagebrush country that I used to call home. I was Jelvis neighbour.

You've seen a dozen bobcats around PG? Are you talking machinery for snow removal or fuzzy little cats?

swampthing
02-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I have seen them crossing the highway, on the only FSR I use and on the street to my house. Havnt seen any tracks in my yard yet. I had a couple pics of a mom with 2 kittens I took this spring. They stayed put at 20 yards while I watched them for a minute. The last lynx I saw was 2 months ago. It had one kitten and was by the chief lk fire hall. I thought everyone knew there was lots here. I have only seen a dozen in my life previous to moving here 2 years ago.

sako7mm
02-05-2011, 09:27 AM
This I gotta see, put up a pic or two. I have never heard of bobbies around PG...... :? I have also never heard of a single trapper harvesting one.

ROEBUCK
02-05-2011, 10:02 AM
[quote=swampthing;849936]I have seen them crossing the highway, on the only FSR I use and on the street to my house. Havnt seen any tracks in my yard yet. I had a couple pics of a mom with 2 kittens I took this spring. They stayed put at 20 yards while I watched them for a minute.

any chance of seeing the bobcat pics in pg

thanks

emerson
02-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Another try this morning, deep snow sucks..... I came upon a carcass (dumped off the bank on a side road) and sat on it for a half hour. The ravens weren't even interested anymore; pretty well picked over. They sure paid a lot of attention to me though, waiting for a meal I guess. Sorry to disappoint them.

ROEBUCK
02-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Another try this morning, deep snow sucks..... I came upon a carcass (dumped off the bank on a side road) and sat on it for a half hour. The ravens weren't even interested anymore; pretty well picked over. They sure paid a lot of attention to me though, waiting for a meal I guess. Sorry to disappoint them.

ive found it can be really hit or miss sitting over a bait

as there very cautious when they aproach baits, ive had success but no more than i have calling near fresh sign.

Peter Pepper
02-05-2011, 02:01 PM
[quote=The Silent Stalker;848832]I got excited when I saw movement in the bush. Unfortunatley it was a pair of dogs from the reserve 2kms down the road.

Well did ya get 'em? Any pics? Full mount or rug?

swampthing
02-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I found the pics. It will take me about a week to try to get them on here. my computer says it cant read my SD card.