PDA

View Full Version : I am new can you help... fly fishing? please?

fowlweather
02-01-2011, 09:45 PM
hi i am doing a school trip to the kettle valley railway sometime in may, we are going biking for five days along this trail, supposedly there is a van that will carry our gear besides for a day pack. i dont know what part we are going on but i think that it must be along a river because that is the easiest to build roads/railways on. anyways i was wondering if there are any rivers along these railroads and if they are fishable?

also... i own my own fishing rod but i am very inexperienced and never caught something with it so i am wondering if anyone has any pointers on what rod i should bring along with how to fly fish!

Thanks!!!!

500grhollowpoint
02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Well I would recomend going to a flyshop (or a flyfishing forum) and ask that.

Find out what part of the KVR you will be on. Chute lake, elanor lake and
Naramata lakes are near it , but as far as I know most of the streams around it are not too close, and I'm not sure they are open to fishing.

fowlweather
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM
i have a lot of time to figger it out tho

358win
02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
fowlweather..listen to 500grhollowpoint. It takes a while to learn.

bobber jon
02-01-2011, 10:28 PM
1st- Learn the regs
2nd- Keep that tip up!!
3rd- be safe and tight lines

Wullfen
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Check out http://forum.flybc.ca/
The guys there will be able to help.

bc cooker
02-02-2011, 08:33 AM
There is quite a bit to it. Flyshop or go with someone that has some experience. Vids might help and practice casting on your lawn or snow with a piece of wool. Good luck!!:-D

Iron Glove
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Ditto on finding out exactly where you will be so you can determine what, if any, rivers or lakes you are near.
A lot of the bike trips go up the Tulameen from Princeton North and you follow the Tulameen River for awhile. Not the best fishing in the area but easy access from the KVR.
I'd suggest a 4 piece 4 - 5 weight fly set up so you can easily pack it on your bike. If you can't find a reasonably priced one locally, try cabellas on line.
Then, get out and practice.

02-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Fowel weather,

starting at the fly. Your fly is connected to your tippet which is 2' ish long If you have a 4-6 wt use 6lb test. Your tippet is tied to your leader via a surgons knott. I would use 6lb there too. Your leader is then tied to your Fly line Via a whole bunch of different knotts, But the nailless nail knott is popular. Practice tying all these knotts while you watch tv at night.
1 spool 6lb tippett and 5-6 leaders you'll muck them up fast.

Take a piece of yarn, small like the size of a fly. Tie it to the end of your tippet and go into your yard and practice casting. The yarn simulates a fly but has no hook to get youself with. 10 and 2 watch your back cast more then the front, the front goes natural. Make sure your back cast goes just about straight before you start your foreward cast.

When on the river dont try t cast too far, short good casts are better than long messed up ones. Streamers are easier to learn to fish then drys, the presentation is easier and allows for more screwups.

As for flys that depends on when you go and where you go. But try to find out here what people might use for flys, I have never fished the Kettle myself so i dont know.

Any questions PM me and i will awnser them the best i can.

nano
02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I have only been fly fishing for a year now so in no way am I a pro, but here what I have learned.
1) Like 835 said practice all your knots. It sucks when your spending more time trying to tying knots then fishing when your out.
2) Have some one video tape you casting. You can see were you may need to improve and were you have bad form. I did this and it helped me become a better caster.
3) Don't cast for distance. Instead when you are starting off work on accuracy and line control.

Those are the 3 points that I have found to be very helpfull in becoming a better fly fisherman.Also take a look at Army and Navy they always have some nice setups that are reasonably priced.

Nano

huntersam
02-02-2011, 05:43 PM
the KVR is a big old railway, which parts are you riding?
i quad up there all the time around chute lake, if you just have your bike then the only lake i know of for decent fishing right off the railway is chute lake. tough to fish off shore with a fly rod, not a good place to learn, lots of bushes and not much space behind you.
but you can rent a row boat for an hour or so, so give trolling a try.

no rivers around there, few small creeks but thats it, nothing for fishing.
if you are close to chute lake then pm me i can show you a few flies to try.

as for learning to fly fish, from now to may isnt very long. takes a long time and alot of practice to get half decent at it. just practice lots and experiment with it try different things to get your line further and into certain spots. i suggest you find someone with some experience to show you the basics.

BCKID
02-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Check out this guy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJ9xGuSH7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ-AXvVbKkE

Jedcote50
02-02-2011, 06:10 PM
You say you're going on this trip in May ? If the stream or river in the area is open to fishing ( check the regs.),chances are it might be still pretty dirty from run off, this all depends on the spring tempurture. If the water is clear and the weather is nice you might find pools big enough to hold trout, but if any of your classmates try swimming in the same pool you can forget about catching any fish. If you can "read" the water, you can find fish in riffles and eddies but this is one of the joys of fishing moving water, it takes a bit of time to learn. The simplest method to start with ,is to fish upstream and let your fly move down past you ,all the while trying to mend your excess line from going downstream as well. Don't spend a lot of money on gear, you won't have to make casts greater than 10 or 15 feet. And chances are, if you're not used to doing this type of fishing, you can easily slip and crash and break your rod. Fly selection is pretty simple too, a few wet flies (nymphs) in olive green or tan color, sizes 8,10 or 12 and a couple of dry flies like a mosquito or royal coachman will get action as long as the presentation is minimally reasonable. Do some research on line ,there is a ton of info out there. Check out "Sport Fishing On the Fly", these guys have done some shows on the West Kettle. And practice casting on dry land before hitting the water. Have fun and watch out for those pesky branches behind you - they love to reach out and grab your fly.

SHACK
02-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I would asume your at an ISA school? Southridge perhaps?

I am not familiar with the routes your taking, but if you are doing a campout at Chute Lake(like I have a fealing you will be ;) ), this may be one of your best chances to do some fishing, especialy if you can convince them to haul a belly boat or other watercraft for you. Unfortunately, I will be honest and say its a slim to none chance on the watercraft because of liability issues. However Im sure a little interlude from shore would be ok with some pior arangements made with the teachers.

fowlweather
02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
I would asume your at an ISA school? Southridge perhaps?

I am not familiar with the routes your taking, but if you are doing a campout at Chute Lake(like I have a fealing you will be ;) ), this may be one of your best chances to do some fishing, especialy if you can convince them to haul a belly boat or other watercraft for you. Unfortunately, I will be honest and say its a slim to none chance on the watercraft because of liability issues. However Im sure a little interlude from shore would be ok with some pior arangements made with the teachers.

k i am still taking a rod though.

500grhollowpoint
02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I did this last year. http://www.douglaslake.com/2010DLR111DouglasLakeRanch/RecreationPages/FlyFishing.html#FishingSchools