PDA

View Full Version : Spot News: Hunter Airlifted From Northern B.C. Coastal Mountain Range

ElectricDyck
02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Copy and pasted this from my spot newsletter email:

On September 11, 2009, expert outdoorsman Rick Stephens was airlifted from the Coast Mountain Range of Northern British Columbia after sending his GPS location coordinates using his SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker following a serious accident.

On September 11, 2009, Stephens and his hunting partner Trent Bossence were 7 days into a 12 day hunting trip, 55 miles from the closest town of Dease Lake and four miles from their base camp, when his hunting knife slipped and badly cut his leg just below the knee, severing a tendon.

“Night was nearing and there was no way we could make it out for help on our own,” he explained. “We tried to treat my injury and prepare for what we thought would be a long cold night on the mountain. But I happened to have a SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker so Trent was able to instantly send a 9-1-1 message and our GPS location coordinates.” The SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker™ is a personal safety device which enables users to communicate via satellite technology from remote locations around the globe and initiate check-in and emergency response calls independently of cellular networks.

Within minutes of pressing the 9-1-1 button, an employee from the GEOS Emergency Response Center called Stephens’ wife Joy to notify her of the emergency signal and to gather vital information on his travel plans. Within 2 ½ hours of the signal being sent, the rescue team located Stephens and his partner and airlifted them off the mountain.

Stephens’ wife credits SPOT with saving his life. “If we didn’t have the SPOT messenger, we would be telling you a very different story,” she said. “Rick and Trent were not due to be picked up from for another five days, in which time any number of circumstances could have claimed his life.”

srupp
02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Another success..

Steven Rupp

SPOT Rep Canada

silvicon
02-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Just two resident "hunters" out and about!
Too many of their likes out there!
I hope they will have to pay for the 'rescue', not the taxpayer!

stoneguide
02-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Are you for real. Ill pay my share of the taxes to help out guys like this. Some day I may need the same or maybe you or your family. And I would pay more taxes to shut guys like you up!!!
SG

Kid Hunter
02-01-2011, 06:43 PM

I think somebody might be a little jealous they don't have a SPOT!
I don't think you'd be saying that if it was you who had been stuck out there. I'm pretty sure you would have used the SPOT if you were in that situation as well. Unless you're Mr. Invincible and would have walked out with a severed tendon.

ElectricDyck
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I always wondered how long it would take for them to mobilize and get to you after you hit the 911 button. 2.5 hours is pretty good. My bro in law is in the local search and rescue and he doesn't get paid, I'll make sure I tell him no free rescues for Silvicon.:mrgreen:

Trapper D
02-01-2011, 06:51 PM
i guess there home now. its like getting close to next season, oh this is an addbot lol

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Tax me too!! Generally I don't say that but in this case,...........

Tenacious Billy
02-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Comforting to know $$ wasn't wasted on mine......

islander338
02-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Im still shaking ny head and its been 5 minutes. are you for real?

The Hermit
02-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Were you joking? If not please elaborate on your thinking here. Should ALL rescues be a fee for service? Or is it different if as a guide, (working in the bush) and you or a client needed rescue would that be different? I just don't understand where you are coming from?

The Hermit
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
BTW - SPOT users pay for the service and most of us pay a premium for rescue insurance where some Countries don't offer emergency services.

Sitkaspruce
02-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Guys

Just leave this one alone as he is anti-resident but loves the US $$$$. I bet there is lots of his high paying clients holding dinks with a smile:mrgreen:that pay for what we get for free.....

Just ignore him, as I didn't and will now feel his wrath.......:-D:wink:

Good to see SPOT working well.

Cheers

SS

frenchbar
02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Guys

Just leave this one alone as he is anti-resident but loves the US $$$$. I bet there is lots of his high paying clients holding dinks with a smile:mrgreen:that pay for what we get for free.....

Just ignore him, as I didn't and will now feel his wrath.......:-D:wink:

Good to see SPOT working well.

Cheers

SS every DICK gets his day ken .. his is coming:twisted:

waistdeep
02-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Some people type and prove thier ignorance...

For me, please tax me for helping someone in need thank you very much.

Kitimat Killer
02-01-2011, 07:31 PM

i cant believe this i know the two guys really well trent is a fire fighter/ paramedic and rick is a rcmp officer and it was not a joke he did cut his leg really bad and is still healing from that so this means and they where on a fly in trip not just out and about

kk

boxhitch
02-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Guys, don't be so fast to rise to the bait of the troll

SPOTs a good thing

kevan
02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Guys, don't be so fast to rise to the bait of the troll

SPOTs a good thing

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I would really like to know more about this SPOT thing..... seriously.
Haven't heard of it till now.... if anyone wants to they could PM me with details.

Gilmore
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I would really like to know more about this SPOT thing..... seriously.
Haven't heard of it till now.... if anyone wants to they could PM me with details.

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/

All the details are right there, pretty useful tool and getting better.

ElectricDyck
02-01-2011, 08:29 PM
http://international.findmespot.com/

Basically you can hit a couple different buttons which send via satellite you gps cordinates and a preprogamed message to your preprogramed email addresses or cell phones plus another button which sends a message to spot headquarters who then send help through various channels.

ElectricDyck
02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Oh yeah I've asked before on another thread which map datum spot uses, no one knows? A google search says wgs 84 but I swore I tried that on my gps when I dropped my spot and it came up as the wrong drainage.

BromBones
02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Good to hear it worked out well for the guy.

I'm gonna have to try one. Maybe wait until I got a ram down and have a 20 mile hike ahead.:wink: Mysteriously hurt my ankle, and then hit the panic button for a chopper to come in. Think they'd be suspicious?

"Tie that pack down real good boys, and careful with those horns":mrgreen:

troutseeker
02-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Hey Buddy, it's comments like that which push me to head out there! I'll be in "you" mountains this year and I hope I shoot one of "your" rams.

Everett
02-01-2011, 09:23 PM

How about a Moderator Ban this lowlife. I hope the gentleman tendon is healing well.

goatdancer
02-01-2011, 09:28 PM

What's the problem? Hemis acting up?

02-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Yet again ........ Another ...... classless comment from SILVICON.

Sounds like he's the type that bitches about police, fire and ambulance staff too.

Get your head out of your back side dude!

Glad to here the SPOT worked as it should, cudo's to all those involved, especially your partner!

CT

Gateholio
02-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Spot generates a 911 call, so the rescue bill is largely paid by taxes.

Frankly, I am surprised that even you would stoop to such a level.

Actually, since 75% of your posts are you making (barely literate) disparaging remarks about BC hunters, I guess I am not surprised.

thompson steel
02-01-2011, 09:49 PM

If they are residents I believe that would make them tax payers.

Especially considering the rsidents are a firefighter and RCMP officer.

M.Dean
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
All's well that ends well!!! Spot saves another life! I learned over the years to tie your knife and Axe in the Sheaths, I use a small piece of leather boot lace, rap it around the case a few times, tie it with about 4 or 5 inches left on both sides, then tie the handles down when I put the belt on, works real good and there still in the Sheaths when I need them! Also, check your Knife Sheath every now and again for wear, some times when you kneel down the blade of the knife will stick out a bit. I have a friend who cut his rear tendon in his ankle, over the years the knife worn through the leather and the rest is a painfull learning experience! On a couple of my older knife cases I've put a couple leather rivets where they show wear, works great!

pappy
02-01-2011, 10:03 PM
My spot worked good all last year but when they auto billed me for this year it hasn't worked at all. I have been busy at work and organizing my last year of schooling so I haven't called them about this yet. I tried to get into my online account but that isn't working either, I got the proof they charged my credit card but no services yet. I will call them soon and get all this crap settled, for the most part when it was working I was very happy to have it and so was my wife. There is some good stories on there website about hunters and hikers.

dutchie
02-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Your a moron.

gibblewabble
02-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I would have no problem paying for an incident like this it is the jackasses that hike into the mountains without the proper gear and get into trouble that bother me, that is one hell of an a$$hat statement Silvicon.

Jagermeister
02-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Are you for real. Ill pay my share of the taxes to help out guys like this. Some day I may need the same or maybe you or your family. And I would pay more taxes to shut guys like you up!!!
SG
Times 2 for me too, although I would not pay extra taxes to stop you from beaking off if you so desire. You have the right to disagree, the rest of us just hope that no one with the authority to implement billing SARs to us will listen to you.

gibblewabble
02-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Hey Buddy, it's comments like that which push me to head out there! I'll be in "you" mountains this year and I hope I shoot one of "your" rams.
Hell ya where is the area that he guides I am planning on heading out might as well be his area, I'll see you out there troutseeker.

303Brit
02-02-2011, 01:00 AM

I'll be sure to tell the SAR Techs that if they pick you or your customers up, that it's a prepaid trip ;)

hunter1947
02-02-2011, 03:50 AM
That is one reason I bought and registered the spot you never know when you might need help when you are many miles in the back woods.

I have my spot working every day for me it is my buddy my back up if anything happens in the bush or at home and I am in need its nice to know its there for me..

wicket
02-02-2011, 02:08 PM
so i read some of silivcons previous posts to see what kind of a person he is and i can honestly say that I wouldnt piss in his ear to put a fire out in his brain.
nuff said

Jelvis
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
sillicon is not gaining support lol.

srupp
02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
hmmmmm... Let's concentrate on the rescue and just how well the spot unit worked, as a Paramedic I can say that these penetrating knife wounds can be fatal. Most hunters, again I say most .....usually have a very keen edge on the knife, this makes for deeper penetration and more tissue destruction and hence more bleeding which all are bad. As one of the Canadian reps for ISPOT I have had the pleasure of listening to many many many stories similar to this, it is the rule rather than the exception.

These units are light, rugged, effective and reliable I HIGHLY recommend them! I never would've come on board as a rep for spot until I had tried it out and ensure that it worked as well as the advertising, and it does.

The first generation of spot, now the second-generation, and now w'ere seeing this device morph into a two-way communication device. That may be fine as well, however it must be remembered that this unit was developed for one purpose and that was to use the simplex side of the satellites to absolutely guarantee a request for help. Yes you could check in, request nonemergency help, however IMHO its greatest asset was to instantly send a message that emergency help was needed, no waiting 15 to 45 min. for the satellite the overhead for two-way communication by way of radio, this request for help was accompanied by an exact GPS location, the ability overly global mapping, and even satellite imagery all which leads for a very speedy location, it helps making the decision of how to access this individual i.e. helicopter, boat, truck etc. these decisions are speeded up by these various map overlays, and while this is being done the individuals on your contact list are contacted even while the 911 emergency rescue process has been initiated again saving time, and more information may be gleaned from your contact individuals you have listed.

I have used my spot, both the first generation and now the second-generation for numerous years and so far 100% of all the check-in messages have arrived, thankfully I have yet to need to use the assistance button or the 911 services, I am 100% convinced should I need them they will be there in a timely manner.

Rather than throwing stones at these two unfortunate individuals, regardless of what they do for a living we need to think that there but for the grace of God go I… That just could have been me! Or you....

This is completely different than some teenager recklessly and willfully skiing out of bounds on some ski Hill, this was a life-and-death struggle in the remote backwoods of British Columbia, thank goodness for their calmness and for the reliability of SPOT.... I have no problems whatsoever picking up my percentage of the cost of this rescue.

Cheers

Steven Rupp

SPOT REP

fozzy
02-02-2011, 05:52 PM

The likes of you are the reason there is an "ignore function" on most forums.

hunter1947
02-03-2011, 04:30 AM
I have 4 contacts that receive my coronets I send a message every day when I am out in the bush the 4 contacts know exactly where I am and they know am ok :-D.

And yes my life is worth $120.00 a year to keep the Ispot active and workng 24 hours a day the spot might save my life one day..

Hunting Seasoned
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
My knee is healing fine, after re-rupturing the tendon 3 months after my first surgery while returning to work.
My extra SPOT insurance paid for my rescue along with my medical coverage.
I'm not relying on the tax payers in this Province. Especially given the goverment of the day. I might still be there.

Rick

Call of the Wild
02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Rick I'm Happy to hear your better.

SPOT is a great device that is affordable. Great product that provides comfort and security for our relatives about us while were away from home. It can be used while traveling in bad weather, hiking trips to hunting trips.

303Brit
02-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Rick, glad to here all is well.

Just a little tid bit for everyone else. From a SAR support aspect, for those that are unaware, I maintain the CC115 Buffalo. The Buff is BC and Yukon's fixed wing asset. That's a pretty large area to look after, especially with an unpressurized A/C thats max speed is approx 250 knots ;)
We (used loosely to reflect the unit) feel far better when we are launched after an EPIRB or PLB. Then when we are launched after someone that is overdue at a destination, and provided family and friends with no route or interary. Especially when time is of the essence, not that all call outs aren't urgent, but some are more time critical then others. So if JRCC is able to relay a gps fix or if there is a beacon to track.
Then it greatly improves the odds of being found in a timely manner.
I'm not saying we need everyone to have one, but I think even Silivicon's life is worth the cost of a spot ;)

Another thing to keep in mind if you are more than 3hrs from medical attention, simple things can now become serious medical issues. Add BC's weather and terrain, now you have a very good recipe for a dirt nap. I guess the bottom line is if you go out by yourself, far from home (IE another MU) Far from any driveable roadway, etc etc. It would be a good idea to pick one up ;)

Oh and food for thought the Buff's first flight was in 61 ;)

husky30-06
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
All's well that ends well!!! Spot saves another life! I learned over the years to tie your knife and Axe in the Sheaths, I use a small piece of leather boot lace, rap it around the case a few times, tie it with about 4 or 5 inches left on both sides, then tie the handles down when I put the belt on, works real good and there still in the Sheaths when I need them! Also, check your Knife Sheath every now and again for wear, some times when you kneel down the blade of the knife will stick out a bit. I have a friend who cut his rear tendon in his ankle, over the years the knife worn through the leather and the rest is a painfull learning experience! On a couple of my older knife cases I've put a couple leather rivets where they show wear, works great!

that is one of the reasons i stopped carrying mine on my belt....... it goes in the pack and stays there till i need it!!!! just my two cents:)

Tenacious Billy
02-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Classy, very classy..........

pete_k
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
My wife got me one last christmas.
I think she is more relieved than I am as I hunt alone.
I just emailed her the article and she replied proud as punch.
She got me the bonus pack which came with a tiny and very
powerful LED flashlite.
I'll activate it this summer and try out a few of the
non emergency messages and tracking feature for the
heck of it.

lange1212
02-03-2011, 01:30 PM

One was a fireman and the other an RCMP officer. I certainly hope they don't share your perogative when you or your family are in need of help in an emergency.

seatoskymiles
02-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Never hunted goats before, where is Silivcon's hunt range at? the SPOT sounds like a great tool to use out in the bush or even in the back country. Anyone want to show me the ropes on a goat hunt in Silvicon's territory?

2SHALLOW
02-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Thats a good news story!! I think the spot is a great idea for the price! Do they still run off of global star satelites? I bought an irridium sat phone last fall worked great never lost a signal made it through everytime. Pretty pricey though lol. How is the new spot i hear you can hook up your cell and type and send new messages? Have a great day all!!! off to the trap line...

keoke
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Spot is coming out with a device that connects to your smart phone and allows you to use it as a satellite phone. http://www.findmespot.com/en/spotnews/

srupp
02-05-2011, 02:08 PM
hmmm not quite..but close..lol

Steven Rupp

Spot Canada Rep

303Brit
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Spot is coming out with a device that connects to your smart phone and allows you to use it as a satellite phone. http://www.findmespot.com/en/spotnews/

No it lets you send emails and update your facebook status, cuz we all know that facebook is the most important thing ever ;)

brenden
02-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I carry one at work when we do heli-missions and when we are more than 100km from the hospital. Pretty reassuring. I hope I never have to use it but as a last resort, nothing can replace devices like these.

Our tax dollars paid millions for the gun registry which so far has not proven to have saved one life so I have no problem paying for something that has proven to have saved several.

Silvicon: Mistabigbawls........ watch what you say yappy... Karma sucks...

Brenden

Snowpatrol
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Never hunted goats before, where is Silivcon's hunt range at? the SPOT sounds like a great tool to use out in the bush or even in the back country. Anyone want to show me the ropes on a goat hunt in Silvicon's territory?

There is another thread available for those who want the outfitter/ resident hunter battles ! lol Bad comment for sure, but this is what causes the "I hate outfitters" relationships ! Just my opinion !