PDA

View Full Version : EK deer/elk count?

Husky7mm
02-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Any up to date game count yet for 2010-11. Its supposed to be closely watched in the nexted few yrs is it not. The last mule deer count was during an elk count, after most of the bucks had shed their antlers. Not sure how acurrate the estimate of the buck to doe ratio is.... Anyway would like to here how things are measuring up if anyone knows.

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
There were a bunch of MD flights right after the season closed (antlers still on).

Everything will be good other than possibly 4-2 if I had to guess. Official stuff should be done pretty soon.

eastkoot
02-01-2011, 06:03 PM
May want to count after the winter snows, rain, ice over snow. Not looking good from what I'm seeing. The poor buggers are digging in 2 1/2 feet of very frozen crusted snow in -30 temps..

02-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Any up to date game count yet for 2010-11. Its supposed to be closely watched in the nexted few yrs is it not. The last mule deer count was during an elk count, after most of the bucks had shed their antlers. Not sure how acurrate the estimate of the buck to doe ratio is.... Anyway would like to here how things are measuring up if anyone knows.

The mule deer composition survey were taken in late Jan/early Feb and I'd assume they'll want to do them at the same time this year. The West Koot elk surveys were done mid-winter and are probably underway right now. The EK cow kill, in spite of the GOS, did not seem to be too much more than it was last year so they may not spend a lot of time on that. We won't know the results until spring. Winter kill could play a huge role, we'll have to wait and see how that pans out.

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 07:21 PM
The mule deer composition survey were taken in late Jan/early Feb and I'd assume they'll want to do them at the same time this year. The West Koot elk surveys were done mid-winter and are probably underway right now. The EK cow kill, in spite of the GOS, did not seem to be too much more than it was last year so they may not spend a lot of time on that. We won't know the results until spring. Winter kill could play a huge role, we'll have to wait and see how that pans out.

IIRC Think they did the mule deer in Nov/Dec this year. Moose is already done and elk is supposed to be starting this week.

Everett
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Out for a hike/predator sweep on sunday snow was still pretty thin and the crust was not to bad north of Kimberley saw about 100 Elk and not a single predator track. Local lads must be hitting them hard this winter.

02-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Out for a hike/predator sweep on sunday snow was still pretty thin and the crust was not to bad north of Kimberley saw about 100 Elk and not a single predator track. Local lads must be hitting them hard this winter.

Up here I have about 2 feet of snow on my lawn and I can nearly walk ontop of it. Bet the Elk Valley is similar if not more. Haven't had the usual mule deer visitors this year going after my yard shrubbery, they're probably yarded up somewhere and can't get here. Good to hear it's not that bad all over the EK.

Everett
02-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Heard the skiing was real good up your way might have to finally try out Kicking Horse.

hunter1947
02-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Around cranbrook outside areas the snow is shallow about 6 inches on the ground as I post weather forecast is temp to get above the freezing mark by the weekend ,I was up around the Columbia lakes two weeks ago same story there as for Radium area not a lot of snow.

02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Heard the skiing was real good up your way might have to finally try out Kicking Horse.

I would think they have more snow up there this year than ever before. I know the VSA guy who plows the road and he says it's getting pretty narrow.

02-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Dave Dunbar is attending an EKWA meeting this weekend and he's supposed to report on this topic. For more info on meeting contact Kody94.

rocksteady
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Little birdy told me that they were doing some flying/counting this week SOuth of Golden earlier this week, in the wetlands/benches on the East Side...Mainly counting elk, but also counting mulies/whiteys.....

Going to be also doing some mid next week in the Slocan Valley too...If weather is okay...

Rodd
02-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I just watched the Heli flying a grid near Parson today back and forth across the wetlands only.... If they are trying to count elk now, they aren't going to see many, as all the elk are in the timber, on the south facing Douglas Fir stands, or in the Cedar Hemlock stands on the west side of the valley?? They aren't even flying over the timber, and they are flying at about 100m which should scare the crap outta them, and stress them when they don't need stress.... Frustrates me that these are the numbers they are going to use to evaluate populations! Because they are not going to be accurate at all.... These flights should be done in december when all the herds are out in the wetlands, and easily counted, with less stress for the animals? It puzzles me who decides this strategy???

GoatGuy
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Little birdy told me that they were doing some flying/counting this week SOuth of Golden earlier this week, in the wetlands/benches on the East Side...Mainly counting elk, but also counting mulies/whiteys.....

Going to be also doing some mid next week in the Slocan Valley too...If weather is okay...

There are NO ELK in the West Kootenay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hunter1947
02-02-2011, 01:48 PM
There are NO ELK in the West Kootenay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I will have a drink on that :wink:.