PDA

View Full Version : Bison Bull Double Header - Jan. 2011

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Normally about this time of year on HBC, it becomes highly obvious to the trained eye that some members of this great site are suffering through severe agony associated with what only can be classified as "Withdrawals from Hunting!"

I can only hope this story helps to give relief, for even a small window in time, to those fallen comrades.:)
Additionally I am bored and putting off doing paperwork, so this will be a fairly thorough story. "Sorry" to some of you that hate it. Just scroll down and look at the pics. "Your Welcome" to those who enjoy it!

The Trip
We headed out of Kamloops January 13th with plans to drive for 2 days to the mighty Pink Mountain located 2 hours past Fort St. John. I had always assumed we would get unloaded and ready to go on the evening of the 14th and head out to hunt on the 15th. About halfways to Prince George my hunting partner (Cody) who is the one holding the LEH tag tells me that he was mistaken and that opening day is not until January 16th so we get to enjoy an extra day hanging out in the camper in -35 degree temperatures! Oh well, atleast we'll have time to pay our respects to "Boozie"
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201150.jpg

We spent the first night in PG at Deaddog's place and met his awesome family. Thanks for your wonderful hospitality DD, we've got the nicest roast saved just for you and your great family. Hope they've got good strong jaw muscles.

The next day we left PG at about noon and got to experience the Pine Pass. I had one hell of a time keeping from getting blown off the road. Somewhere along the way I got curious as to our weight because we felt really heavy. We drove across truck scales at a closed station just to see.......
Front axle:2250
Rear Axle: 3610
Trailer: 1220
Yup, now I know why we feel so heavy....... it's because we are!!! Dodge Ram Diesel 2500. Thank god for the airbag suspension.

Anyways, after spending a couple hours getting some last minute items in Ft. St. John we eventually rolled by the Pink Mountain Motel between 1:00 and 2:00 in the morning. A few additional minutes down the highway and we were turning left off the highway onto Pink Mountain Road. Halfways in we caught up to an older Ford pick-up doing far less than 5kms/hr and still having a really tough time staying on the road. Yup, "Boozie" definately got in a tussle with this guy!! I really could have walked faster. "Welcome to Pink Mountain," I told myself in disbelief.
Anyways, we pulled up just outside the gate and decided to make camp right there. I don't think the guy in the old Ford pick-up (who will remain nameless) really liked that because he drove back and forth by our camper 7 or 8 times more before the sun came up, sometimes flooring it as he'd roar by. Here is our morning view.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201155.jpg

Day#1 - Season isn't open yet so we got familiar with our friends Captain. Morgan and Gibsons. We are normally beer drinkers but it was impossible in this environment so we brought no beer and no mix. Everything was straight out of the bottle. When we left I had 30 chest hairs. Now there are only 10 left. I blame Cody for bringing Jack. Yuck!
Day#2 - It's the season opener and my damned sled is sucking too much light dry powder through the airbox and straight into the carbs. The 2 cylinder machine is now running on 1 cylinder. After only traveling up the trail for 4 miles, I was forced to return and spent the entire day taking everything apart and thawing/drying it out in the camper. A new additional filter was engineered by sacrificing a gamebag.

The Hunt
Day#3 - We headed out and saw 29 Elk, 7 moose, 2 wild horses and approx 40 bison which we turned down immediately because they were all cows, calves and young bulls. We did find one large lone bison bull, decided to make a slalk on him, but swirling winds busted us before we could pull the trigger. Beware: These things have really good noses. Use the wind to your advantage where possible.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt20118-1.jpg
Here is a picture with Elk in the background on the hill behind me. We were surprised to see that virtually nobody else wore helmets for this hunt. Sure, we rarely went fast so safety wasn't much of an issue, but in truth it sure kept my head and face cozy and warm!!!!

Back to the story : On our way back to camp we met another group of hunters at the airstrip. It turned out to be "Goatguy", "One-Shot-Wonder" and another great guy not from this site. We b.s.'d for a while and Cody and I went on our way back to camp. Yum, Moose steak and potatoes for supper!!! "Boozie" found his way into our camp that evening too!

The next morning I woke up at 5:00AM due to all the re-hydrating I did before bed (great alarm clock). We decided to hit the trail early and were at the airstrip by the time it was getting light out. We pushed back further and passed up some more bison cows 50 yards off the trail. We also saw many moose that day. At 11:30 after a grueling morning breaking trail and lots of effort just trying to find it when we would lose it, we finally spotted 2 large bison bulls far across the valley. We decided to make the 30-45 minute stalk and before I knew it we were 75 yards downwind of what turned out to actually be 3 beauty bulls. Two were originally bedded down, but we didn't care because our eyes were riveted on the absolutely huge one feeding. It was atleast 30% larger than any other bison we had seen on the trip so far.

I can't post any more pics on this one so I'll continue with the story in a second........................

Brent

fourbyfour
02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
just what we all here need. A GOOD STORY. and just alittle sad that we all have to wait till APRIL 1st to hunt again. nice part 1 cool pics, shows how cooled it is up there that time of year.

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
So we are hiding behind an 8 foot tree at a range of 75 yards and Cody keeps asking me "Can I shoot yet????" I kept saying "Not yet" for what turns out the be over an hour. The one we wanted was continually feeding and never broadside for us to take a good shot. Finally the monster turned sideways long enough for Cody to get a good shot. I saw the bull flinch but continue to stand there for about 10 minutes.

In the meantime I heard snowmobiles across the valley where we had left ours. As it turned out, "Goatguy" and his group had caught up to us. We waved them to come on down while we remained hidden behind the tree. Once we saw that "Goatguy", dressed in white camo, was on his way down we turned our focus back to our bull. When we looked back it was down. We were so excited for about 2 minutes until the big brute got back up. Damn!!! Cody put another one into it and it went down again. "Goatguy" came up huffing and puffing but wasted absolutely no time. "Back me up" he said as he jumped into action and took down a beautiful mature bull single handedly.
After the dust settled we had 2 awesome bulls lying in the snow no more than 20 yards apart.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201113.jpg

Above is "Goatguys" bull. Am I ever glad we shot them so close together because it ended up being a 5 man effort to get these animals back to camp. We were all in it together come hell or high water........ and trust me, the high water did come into effect eventually.:)

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201112.jpg

Above is the bull that Cody and I got. Pay particular attention to the length of his horns in the pictures to follow. I would basically kinda call them "Broomed off" I guess. It was cool to see how fat and stubby they were after so many years worth of wear. Counting rings like I would a sheep this bruiser was well over ten years of age, probably closer to fifteen.
You can actually see in the background Goatguy and One-Shot-Wonders bison.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201118.jpg

So now started the daunting task of skinning. Cody and Arnie headed back to get the sleds and pack in an access trail before heading back to the fuel cache to refuel and pick up the skimmers. GoatGuy and One-Shot got down to work caping theirs and I was left alone with this 2,000 lb monstrosity and a knife with a 3 inch blade. I felt pretty overwhelmed but darkness was rapidly approaching and the other two were hard at work on their beast.

BiG Boar
02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Definitley cold. Looking forward to this thread. I disagree on the bisons nose though. I got into several heards this year in the sikani heard and they never smelled us. 30 yards away in most cases.

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Here's some more pics:
Cody and I below with our bull
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201121.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201126.jpg

GoatGuy and I with his bull below
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201129.jpg

Ruger4
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
mmmmmm bison roasty !!! :mrgreen: looking forward to it !!

eastkoot
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
One shot is looking tough, GG not so much!!! Good on you for enduring the cold..

peashooter
02-01-2011, 04:42 PM
thanks for the dose of hunting. can't decide whats better the pics or the story. good stuff!!

M.Dean
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a great time was had by all!!! That has to be the Hunt of a life time! And your right, it's nice to read a good story this time of year, sure makes a guy want to start packing up his gear now! Excellent story and Pictures, Thanks.

TyTy
02-01-2011, 04:52 PM
It helped with the withdrawls, thanks. And thanks for a pic heavy post.
Congrats on your bulls.

Will
02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Some great times right there !
Congrats and thanks for the look ! :cool:

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Goat Guys Bull below

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201130.jpg

So now I dug in and started taking the rug off this bull. It took all 5 of us a lot of grunting and groaning to get ours rolled over onto his belly so I could start skinning. I had to work fast because the hide would start to freeze if I left any area unattended for too long.

The 2 guys on sleds ferried the meat up the hill to a tree that we would later hang the meat in for the night. Combined, we had 5 men, 4 snowmobiles, and only 3 skimmers to get two entire bison out. Saying that trail is hard on equipment is an understatement. It was a no brainer that we weren't getting everything out that night. Thanks to GoatGuy and One-Shot for your guidance when I got overwhelmed during the butchering. It was you guys that kept me going.
All I can say is "Thank god my daughter bought me a battery operated SAWZ-ALL for Christmas." It took heads and hoofs off so darn fast........... My wife still can't figure out how our 2 month old daughter was able to buy me that saw.....:-D

Here is the hanging tree. The idea was to get the meat up where the wolves couldn't get at it.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201139.jpg

Now after hanging the meat in the tree, we loaded up what was left on the skimmers and headed back to camp.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201147.jpg
There were a few glitches on the way though.......
Like I said earlier, we were a team and at this point and we were all getting back together come hell or high water.

proguide66
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Holy shit those are big chunks of beasts! great hunt for sure! I went to the same place few yrs back to help an old guy but he quit due to the cold.
Curious what you guys do with the hide or cape? I always thought a full rug would be cool.How is the meat?

snareman1234
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Awesome bulls boys!! good story!

jeepguy90
02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
great pics, actually heard through the grape vine about the "high waters" comment.
congrats guys!

300H&H
02-01-2011, 05:17 PM
That is a awsome pair of bulls you guys.
I think I will put in for bison this fall.
Who wants to join in the fun with me ?

TSW
02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I thought this was a thread about a 2 headed bison...still cool though! ;)

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Here is the High Water part. I went first and hit the water pretty quickly due to the weight I was dragging. I had the entire rug and the head behind me plus 2 empty jerry cans. Water got on my belt and I didn't have the momentum to carry me up the bank on the far side. Keep in mind it is after midnight by this point! You can't see the skimmer or rug in the picture because it is fully submerged and trying to soak up as much water as possible. Now my boots were wet too!!!!

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201115-1.jpg

Goatguy gunned his machine across the 1 inch thick ice 20 feet above me and came over to help, but only after they all laughed at me for 5 minutes first. I think they would have kept laughing too if I wasn't plugging up their only exit route.

We made it back to a very cold camper at around 3:00 that morning. The generator had been out of fuel for about 9 hours and without a gen set we had no heat. Finally I was glad we had no beer. We were so tired that we sent "Boozy" over to hang with Goatguy and his clan. We awoke the next day just before noon and pushed off at the same time as the other group was on their way up. About a third of the way there my fatigued skimmer finally gave up. 5 miles later we ran into MOL from this site as well. I had never met him before and not only did he offer to lend me his skimmer, but he also offered to drag "One-Shot's" broken down "Arctic Cat" all the way back to camp. That would have taken him atleast 3 hours and screwed up the rest of his day, not to mention all the fuel and wear and tear it would cost him.

MOL - He is a great guy and I would deal with him again!:):-D

Anyways, we continued on up the trail and finally made it to the hanging tree. Arnie scampered up the tree and cut the bags down, but not before he realized that we had a visitor in the night.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt201141.jpg

A damned Wolverine had climbed up the tree and had a good feeding. Fortunately his bladder must have been empty because he didn't piss on anything.

The trip back to camp was uneventful this time and we met MOL at our camp when we arrived. Goatguy gave them (MOL) a flat of beer and he shared it with all of us.
What a great trip. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but "Yes" it was very, very cold.

In wrapping up this long winded story, here is a pic from when we got home. I was trying to document the worn down horns!!!

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Hunting%20Pics/BisonHunt20119.jpg

Fisher-Dude
02-01-2011, 05:38 PM
One shot is looking tough, GG not so much!!! Good on you for enduring the cold..

LMAO! I watched the video where One Shot fell backwards into the river off Arnie's sled. He looked a little less tough rolling around in the snow, crying for his mommy, soaked to the ass! :mrgreen:

Good on all you guys for putting those bulls on the ground!

Krico
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Awesome bulls, congrats! I never realized how giant some of those bulls were until a friend got a big one a couple years ago. Would be awesome to do that hunt one day!

Buck
02-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Nice Bull we got a cow there this year.Great place to hunt.

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Holy shit those are big chunks of beasts! great hunt for sure! I went to the same place few yrs back to help an old guy but he quit due to the cold.
Curious what you guys do with the hide or cape? I always thought a full rug would be cool.How is the meat?

I told the girl we're putting a bison head where the fridge is and the fridge is going in the basement - plan your day and put the milk by the window. Thinking about trimming up the back half and getting a set of chaps made for her. We'll see.

My guess is Ufish is on the hook for close to $2000 to get the hide tanned - it's a monster!

Do you have a tooth sharpener?

Oh, yeah looking for a pot big enough to boil a bison skull. Any ideas?

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Goatguy caped his out to do a proper shoulder mount.
Cody wanted the skull from ours to do a euro mount.
I skinned out the entire rug in one piece for myself. I took it to the taxidermist a couple days ago. By his reaction I would guess that it is hands down the biggest bison rug he has ever seen. It should go a good 70 square feet.
How is the meat?? I am sure GG's is tender and nice. Ours is tasty but I call it our "Choo, Choo" bull not only because it was as big as a freight train, but because you cook it, cut off a piece, put it in your mouth and chew, and chew, and chew..........
It's more like bison flavored bubble gum!

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Good story Ufish,

Nice to meet that many good folks on a hunt, sure makes things enjoyable.

bcfarmer
02-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I told the girl we're putting a bison head where the fridge is and the fridge is going in the basement - plan your day and put the milk by the window. Thinking about trimming up the back half and getting a set of chaps made for her. We'll see.

My guess is Ufish is on the hook for close to $2000 to get the hide tanned - it's a monster!

Do you have a tooth sharpener?

Oh, yeah looking for a pot big enough to boil a bison skull. Any ideas?

We use "half" barrels here. They are half a 45gal barrel. Can get them from the local transport company. You just need to use two corn burners to get the water boiling.

bcf

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Hey GG,
Cody got a fuel barrel and cut the top third off. He borrowed my tiger torch and 2 propane tanks. Then we had to jump on it to make it wide enough to fit the horns. I believe it's been boiled now and all is well.

BCrams
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Great story fellas!! Great hunt and team work!!

kennyj
02-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Great story. I really enjoyed it. Thats a massive old bull you guys got there. It'll make a great euro mount.
kenny

one-shot-wonder
02-01-2011, 06:24 PM
One hell of a trip that's for sure, one we won't forget anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing a good write up and also the good times in the field with us UFIF2!

luckynuts
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Great story Guys! looks like you perceived the cold and the break downs and came out with 2 excellent bulls. Seems like you got caught with one of our colder weeks, though it seems we warm up every 2nd week this year which is a nice break although we did hit -40 at work on Sunday/Monday:eek: Thanks for the pics and story again. ps the bison make awesome throw rugs to drape over the couch.

W.

Rattler
02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Great story Brent! Sounds like quite the trip and some good teamwork to get those bulls out.

tomahawk
02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Great story, well written and good humor!! Awesome bulls boys!!

partner
02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm just guessing was that the second river crossing that gave u the trouble?

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm just guessing was that the second river crossing that gave u the trouble?
Gods honest truth is that it's hard to tell with all the Muskeg ground and not knowing the ground very well when it's snow-free. I have nothing to hide and actually think it was the first one, but I could be mistaken.

sneg
02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
thanks for sharing the story and pics. really enjoyed it

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
One-shot trying to wet wade the halfway
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCF01271.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCF0128.JPG

Day one on the half-@ss program
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_12603.JPG

snareman1234
02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
you guys are nuts, that's some cold weather to be getting wet in! I know I sure would have been worried if we got wet,

Looks like you guys got wayyy back there, good going

Those bulls are pigs

our cows so tasty and tender :)

375 ultramag
02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
AHHHHHH. now that sounds like it was a great trip. Congrats on two nice buff.

whitetailsheds
02-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Great thread....thanks for posting!

doubled
02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Awesome trip. The cold sure changes things in a hurry. You are lucky that you did not freeze up after getting in the water - lucky man indeed. Beauty bulls boys!!!!

Fisher-Dude
02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
One-shot trying to wet wade the halfway
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCF01271.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCF0128.JPG

I'm surprised he didn't bring his crocs for the river crossings. :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
The drive up was part of the adventure. Freezing rain from west of Kamloops to just south of Prince George the next morning. If you stopped the windshield would freeze right over. An avalanche going through the pine pass, highway closures etc.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P1050294.JPG

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm surprised he didn't bring his crocs for the river crossings. :mrgreen:

Figured felt pacs and snow pants were the way to go.

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I completely forgot that One-Shot went for a swim. Those pics are awesome!!!

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Snowmobile suit for an Artic Crap.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_12763.JPG

Cause you know if you leave the cabin it will leave you on the trail.

Fisher-Dude
02-01-2011, 09:07 PM
He's gonna be SO mad when I show him how his throttle override plug in works. :mrgreen:

Kirby
02-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Been waiting for this to come up. Nice bulls.

Kirby

Deaddog
02-01-2011, 09:14 PM
great story guys, looks like another trip of a lifetime.. can't wait to see those bulls mounted on the walls of your houses!!

Bear Chaser
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Great story guys. Congratulations to all involved.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Congrats Gentlemen!!!

Forgot to ask if OSW stuck to Arnie's back when you finally got home??

Sounds like quite the adventure!!

SSS

ElectricDyck
02-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Entertaining story!

tuffteddyb
02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
great story! congrats on bulls!
one day maybe.
what calibers of rifles did you use?

02-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Fantastic pics and story, congrats guys !

LOTS OF BURGER!!

Can't wait to draw again, 1 for 15 isn't quite enough for me.

CT

meat eater
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
very very nice!!! sure is nice country up there!!

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 10:47 PM
He's gonna be SO mad when I show him how his throttle override plug in works. :mrgreen:

junk is junk.

Old Crow
02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
And here I thought GG was all talk :D
Great story and pics UFIF2!
Also a good teamwork story. You guys were lucky to meet up and share in the success and work and laughs (and beers) :P
Well done all.
(But always so good to get home after a trip like that, no?)

partner
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
When we were there the first crossing was about a foot deep and no big banks on either side maybe 25 feet across,easy to get across. The second crossing was deeper with a bank going up on the other side. We walked a couple hundred meters down along the river bank to a spot where the game crossed the river all the time. It was froze solid don't know if anybody else found that crossing. I know that is where most of the bulls come from past the second crossing!

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
great story! congrats on bulls!
one day maybe.
what calibers of rifles did you use?

Can't remember what Cody used.... I do remember that it was a Weatherby MK-V I think. GG said he used a 338.
In the regs I think it states that the minimum bullet size is 180 grains.

The main thing is bullet placement. A perfect shot on a Moose or Elk isn't so good for a Bison but is instead too high. Aim for the lower third to get the mighty important "Lung Shot" on a bison.
Credit to GoatGuy for that tidbit of information!!

ufishifish2
02-01-2011, 11:17 PM
When we were there the first crossing was about a foot deep and no big banks on either side maybe 25 feet across,easy to get across. The second crossing was deeper with a bank going up on the other side. We walked a couple hundred meters down along the river bank to a spot where the game crossed the river all the time. It was froze solid don't know if anybody else found that crossing. I know that is where most of the bulls come from past the second crossing!

I believe the second crossing was primarily frozen over but I did break thru a bit! It did have the bank on the far side like you describe!
It is sounding more and more like I got stuck at the first crossing! For the record Arnie got stuck too!!!

one-shot-wonder

Quite making excuses for peice o shat sleds........your so afraid that your Arctic crap will break down also that you dont even ride it.

Hell of a nice backyard landscape feature.:oops:

Spy
Great story & pictures.:-D Great to see HBC members getting together & getting her done!:-D Well done on a successful hunt enjoy the spoils you all deserve them!

one-shot-wonder
02-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Snowmobile suit for an Artic Crap.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_12763.JPG

Cause you know if you leave the cabin it will leave you on the trail.

Stansfeilds and a mack jacket is all a guy needs up north!

Actually those feltpacks saved my bacon when I was doing some wading in the halfway river.

BillyBull
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Just an awesome story to breakup the dulldrums of Febuary, thanks for the story and pictures guys, sound like just a great adventure.

gibblewabble
02-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Nice work guys, I drove up to tumbler during that storm hell of a trip through the pine pass eh? I would sure like to be drawn for that hunt one year.

BiG Boar
02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Man, I am so jealous! Both beauty bulls. I worked hard for 8 days without getting any chances at old big bulls. This was a great post and got memories flowing back to December. Funny, I had a buddy with that same draw and he never put the hunt together. Good on you two for helping clean up that valley a bit more. Makes me want a big burger bull even more.

GoatGuy
02-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Quite making excuses for peice o shat sleds........your so afraid that your Arctic crap will break down also that you dont even ride it.

Hell of a nice backyard landscape feature.:oops:

Parked on top of a hill of coyote diarrhea. Hillbilly landscaping 101.

hunter1947
02-02-2011, 03:56 AM
I really enjoyed your story on this hunt ,that is one big bull your hunting party got will look very nice on the wall when done ,congrats on the other as well ,congrats to all the hunting party on harvesting these fine bison http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

fearnodeer
02-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Congrats to all of you can't wait to get a bison draw

hunter1947
02-02-2011, 07:32 AM
How was the interior walls of your camper ??? did they have a frost build up on them ??.

02-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Nice bulls, the capes look fantastic

Flinch
02-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Forgot to ask if OSW stuck to Arnie's back when you finally got home??

SSS

...You mean like that CLASSIC scene from 'Dumb and Dumber'?

ufishifish2
02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
How was the interior walls of your camper ??? did they have a frost build up on them ??.

Well Good Morning Wayne,
The camper has the "Arctic Package", whatever that means. Ice didn't build up on the walls except in areas that were not exposed to the circulating air such as in closets where clothing and blankets were against the walls.
The windows however, did get a good third of an inch of ice on them inside the camper.
The food in the fridge kept freezing even though I never turned it on. We had to leave the fridge door open a crack at all times to keep it all from being frozen!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
...You mean like that CLASSIC scene from 'Dumb and Dumber'?

That's the scene I had in mind:-D.

SSS

boxhitch
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Good hunt, way to endure guys
Ufish, any thoughts of home tanning ?

the bison make awesome throw rugs to drape over the couch. W.Saw one in Colorado that was just a log frame and the hide slung over , sort of a sling set-up. made for a quewl couch

GoatGuy
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Good hunt, way to endure guys

Saw one in Colorado that was just a log frame and the hide slung over , sort of a sling set-up. made for a quewl couch

you could probably use a set of bleachers for that hide.

358mag
02-02-2011, 02:37 PM
The drive up was part of the adventure. Freezing rain from west of Kamloops to just south of Prince George the next morning. If you stopped the windshield would freeze right over. An avalanche going through the pine pass, highway closures etc.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P1050294.JPGSounds like a hell of a trip nice to see you got the rust off the camera and off the trigger too !!!!! you tipping back a cold roady in that picture ???

Fraink
02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Most excellent story, enjoyed the read and all the pics.
Last year when my son got his bull, we layed a tarp in the snow close to the warming fire ,layed the pieces (four quarters and four limbs) on the tarp and covered them with the rest of the tarp. We then pissed in the snow around the the tarp and left my T-shirt on the top of the tarp, no animals bothered the meat at all. By the next morning the snow under the tarp had melted down almost to the ground.
His wall mount should be ready to hang soon, will invite " boozy" over to stare at it a while.
Again congrats on an epic hunt, looking forward to getting the draw myself, have accompanied twice now.

ufishifish2
02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I hope you guys post pics of your sons wall mount Fraink. That would be great! I am sure "Boozy" will be quite happy to spend time over there with you guys while admiring that bison head. :)

Hey BH, I really think this is an opportunity of a lifetime to get one so large! I therefore want it done correctly, and I am certainly not the person to do that! I'm not really what you would call an "attention to detail" kind of guy!
It is already at the taxidermists place and will hopefully be at the tannery very soon. Kinda like GG says, the nice thing about sending a rug like that out is that it is so bloody big that nobody wants it lying around taking up precious space. I expect it back fairly quickly, unlike anything else you send to any taxi.......

Darksith
02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
wow, great storey, sounds like an awesome hunt. I put in for the january hunt and was unsuccessful, but Im glad that someone shared their adventure from that hunt. I'll keep trying.

GoatGuy
02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Hey BH, I really think this is an opportunity of a lifetime to get one so large! I therefore want it done correctly, and I am certainly not the person to do that! I'm not really what you would call an "attention to detail" kind of guy!
It is already at the taxidermists place and will hopefully be at the tannery very soon. Kinda like GG says, the nice thing about sending a rug like that out is that it is so bloody big that nobody wants it lying around taking up precious space. I expect it back fairly quickly, unlike anything else you send to any taxi.......

How big was it anyway?

ufishifish2
02-02-2011, 07:18 PM
How big was it anyway?

I'll let you know when I get the bill.:cry:
Measured at the most narrow parts it went a conservative 8 x 8 feet. I am betting it'll go over 70 square feet in the end!!!

Mik
02-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Great story Brent, awesome pics. Nice shot of the skimmer in the water, must have been freezing.Did you guys plan on meeting GG or was it the only way past you guys and he just happened to meet up with ya? Either way it seems that team work paid off once again and 2 more Bison went down.Both Bulls look huge, Congrats to all.

landphil
02-04-2011, 02:47 AM
That was a good read and great pics, thanks for posting it all.