PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the turkeys gone?

Husky7mm
02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Not a big turkey hunter but have noticed a hugh drop in the random turkey sightings in the last few yrs. About the only place I see them is on private land and in farm fields, very few in the bush as of late. What do you think?

Confused
02-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Not a big turkey hunter but have noticed a hugh drop in the random turkey sightings in the last few yrs. About the only place I see them is on private land and in farm fields, very few in the bush as of late. What do you think?

Guess you haven't been on this site lately, plenty around here......gobble, gobble.:-D:-D

Mikey Rafiki
02-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm seeing or noticing more kills than I have in the past, so maybe the increasing yote population is thinning them out. Didn't do too much turkey hunting this year, but I would say that it was a little slower than other years. Are there any good harvest stats out there?

Singleshotneeded
02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Well, I used to see them and get at least one every year out of the Grand Forks/ Christina Lake area, but this year when I was there I got a whitetail buck but didn't see a single turkey! I spoke with a few guys in Christina Lake and they blame the large number of hunters from western B.C. for decimating the population. As Grand Forks/ Christina Lake was the nearest place to go hunt with good numbers of turkeys, for someone from the Lower Mainland, they may have a point. I guess this year if I'm inclined to get a tasty jake I'll be driving to Creston, where it all began.

bcbrez
02-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I blame it on the yotes and bobcats. I know they cats around here have learned to get the birds in their roosts.

Fisher-Dude
02-01-2011, 06:02 PM
They were everywhere when I was elk hunting last fall. Even had a flock surround me as I was taking a dump in the trees :redface: - no respect for a guy's privacy!

Marlin375
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
last couple of years the coyotes have thinned them out around Creston....

Poguebilt
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
ive seen so many this winter...... they just hide good :mrgreen:

Singleshotneeded
02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I think we all should declare war on the coyote and not stop until there's only a few dozen left in BC!

Spy
02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks giving was not that long ago,lots of people had turkeys in the oven!:-D

BillyBull
02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
They were in the Trail area this past fall.... my son was seeing them in different locations on the job site he was working.

300H&H
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Turkeys are smart.
They are learning to stay away from hunters.
No big surprise there.
I am finding they know where they can't be hunted (privet land) and they stay on it.
Your calling is going to have to be good to get a tom.

Only 73 days until opening day for turkeys.

GoatGuy
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Saw quite a few in Reg 8 last spring?

The Hermit
02-02-2011, 01:13 AM
They were everywhere when I was elk hunting last fall. Even had a flock surround me as I was taking a dump in the trees :redface: - no respect for a guy's privacy!

Remind you of anything???
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU6iQ8oYhux0r-XKL0V9fYDWYfjQmBNSiVb4wWVJKF5pdXqAfrjw
Clearly they thought you were just another bird!!!

hunter1947
02-02-2011, 03:36 AM
Turkeys are smart.
They are learning to stay away from hunters.
No big surprise there.
I am finding they know where they can't be hunted (privet land) and they stay on it.
Your calling is going to have to be good to get a tom.

Only 73 days until opening day for turkeys.

X2 I agree now that there has been a GOS for a few years they smarten up real fast when they are being shot at they seek out good hiding places...

SHAKER
02-02-2011, 10:34 AM
I think we all should declare war on the coyote and not stop until there's only a few dozen left in BC!

LOL...... yeah it's called 10:80. Far as turkeys' they're smarter then you think. Shoot'n them off the road will work to start with but they wise up real fast. Remember.... just cause you don't see something don't mean it aint there.

02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Turkeys are very vulnerable to winter die-offs. Considering the snowpack in the Kootenay's this year their numbers might be fairly low this spring. Not to worry though , they bounce back real quick.

Moose Guide
02-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Turkeys are a pain and most land owners will allow access to be rid of the pests. Racoons are a turkeys worst nightmare!